Cracker Barrel Server Interview Questions

Updated 26 Oct, 2014

2.0

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dalton, GA (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dalton, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in October 2014.

I was planned to go in the first time after the lunch crowd, but the lady had to cancel while I was standing there waiting to be interviewed. The next day I spoke with the manager and we barely spoke about the job. It was mostly just random things like college and the local high school football teams scores

Interview Questions
  • I was asked what my schedule was like from 3 different people in the store   Answer Question
  • They asked about my experience working   Answer Question

The pay is terrible. It's below minimum wage, and you are busting your butt to probably just barely make minimum wage or lower.

Other Interview Reviews for Cracker Barrel

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trussville, AL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trussville, AL (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in September 2014.

I walk into the resteraunt and receive an application from the cashier. I filled it out in my car, and I took it back inside. The cashier then lets the other employees know that there was an applicant that turned in his application with his communication device. Then I am directed by a waitress to sit in the third section of seating and told that a manager will come and interview me. A few minutes later the manager comes, and we talk for a minute. He was very nice and laid back. I forgot to fill out the opposite side of the cream-colored form. I didn't notice it, and when the manager turned the back page over, I apologized for not filling it out. I felt pretty bad for not checking it. He asked me if I had any previous work experience. I said no. He asked me why I wanted to work for Cracker Barrel, and I told him that the reasons why I wanted to do so was because I loved the food, and I just wanted to start somewhere as being a server if they hired me. This is my first interview as an applicant for a business! I'd say it wasn't bad.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Cracker Barrel.

It takes three interviews with different managers to be hired ending with the GM making the final decision. There is lots of computer work after hired. 5 days of very good training. Cracker Barrel will hire servers with no experience if they feel you have the personality for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are easy and basic, why do you want do work here, where have you worked before, server experience etc.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, IN (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in July 2014.

I went in on July 4th to apply for the position of server. I filled out an application in the store, then turned it in that day. I was told I would have been interviewed that day had it not been so busy. Instead, I was told I would be called to schedule an interview. I waited a week and heard nothing. One week after turning in my application, I went in, asked to see a manager, and inquired as to whether I was waiting in vain for the call. He told me that they typically interview on weekdays between 2-4 and that I could either come in later that day or Monday. I chose to interview at 3:15 that day. I went in, told the cashier I was their for an interview, and waited for the manager to show me where to go. I was told to sit at an empty table in the third section of the restaurant. The manager was already there interviewing someone else; I had to wait for that interview to finish, then was asked to move to the table he was at. He asked me several questions about previous restaurant experience (of which I have none), and I was asked several questions that were too strange to answer in a straight forward way. After a pretty iffy interview, he asked what I would bring to the company. Having learned everything I could about Cracker Barrel and its history, I pretty much just geeked out on him about everything I knew. He laughed, said "that's actually pretty scary, I guess we pretty much have to hire you now", then told me I could come back for a second interview the following week. He did, however, put me down as interviewing for a hostess, server instead of just the server position that I wanted. Still waiting for the second interview, which I have tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation in which your actions didn't match up with your meaning.   View Answer
    • If Mr. Peters asked for a Bacon Cheeseburger and fries, what do you bring him?   View Answer
    No negotiation yet. I still have the second interview to do. You can't negotiate your hourly pay, but I've heard they'll work with you on how many hours you need to get by.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barboursville, WV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barboursville, WV (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Cracker Barrel in February 2014.

There are two interviews. The first one is with human resources mgr. I was told to wear my Sunday best and I wore a suit. He asked about the salary I expected, hours, and even what I planned for my future. He explained that they are like a family down home atmosphere, therefore morals and personality are important.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Valley City, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Valley City, UT (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in January 2014.

One of the 5 managers (supervisors) interviewed me. He asked me various questions. Some of them were weird, like how much money I needed to make a week to pay my bills. Some of them normal, like how many hours I would like to work & what days I would be available to work. Apparently they only hire part-time though at this location. Something came across to me as odd during the interview about how the interviewer was talking & asking questions but couldn't place my finger on it. He was kinda skiddish & liked to talk, like he was reiterating the same points in different ways about the company. Almost like he was trying to make the company sound more desirable to work for then it was.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was if I wanted to come back for a second interview. Apparently there are levels in the interview process. Supervisor level & General Manager level.   View Answer

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in January 2014.

The interview was a piece of cake. They made me think I had the job. They told me I would get a callbcallback in a few days. It never came.

Server Interview

Ver easy interview... they ask about previous experience and how it can contribute to the position you're applying for. They asked what all do you know about the company etc. They really are just looking to see your personality.. so be outgoing and SMILE!

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company. Make sure to mention the old country family theme.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meadville, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meadville, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in June 2013.

I had an interview with one of the store managers at a table in the restaurant during a slow period. Very basic interview questions were asked concerning longevity, how I heard about the position, had I been to Cracker Barrel previously, etc. There were customers at other tables in the dining room. I dressed professionally.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what I would do in a difficult situation and how I would handle it. Since I had previous restaurant experience, I was asked how I handled a difficult situation in the past.   Answer Question
    There was no room to negotiate, they told me they would be in touch after the interview. I was called several days later and they informed me of the training days and what uniform I needed to wear.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cracker Barrel.

I kept calling until I got an interview. Just smile and show that you are good with people. I had to get through two interviews where I was asked about experience, how I would handle different situations. I thought it was a rather easy interview compared to others I had been on.

Interview Questions
    Clearly state the hours you can work right away because it's hard to change them.