Condé Nast Interview Questions

Updated 3 Apr, 2015
Updated 3 Apr, 2015

2.6

Associate Editor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I applied online and got an email from HR about a week or two later asking to set up an interview. I went in for an interview with HR and the hiring manager two days later and was given an edit test. Emailed HR about a month later to check on status of the position.

Freelance Fashion Assistant, Details Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

Fashion Assistant emailed and asked me to come in for an interview after seeing her post online. I interviewed with her for maybe about 10 minutes before she called her manager in. Manager/editor was nice but Fashion Assistant was rude and clearly not well-versed with HR protocol. She asked standard, sometimes irrelevant, interview questions. Got a very subliminal, snooty, holier-than-thou vibe from her. (Which, I don't know why, because we all know how much you're making!)

She kept reiterating that the pay was $10/hour and that the experience was a great way to get your foot in the fashion industry. While it would have been nice to see what Details was like, it's definitely not worth $10/hour LOL. At the end, it was more of trying to find out who'd be the best "go-pher" for her and her team.

Senior Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

I was contacted to come in for an interview for a job that sounded like a bit of a reach in terms of my years of experience, but pursued the opportunity to interview and learn more about the role. As I suspected, it was completely out of the scope of what I was qualified to do. It was strange that Conde Nast contacted me - recruiting needs to have a better understanding of the industry and how to find candidates. It was a waste of my time, and theirs.

Digital Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

Applied online, a week later had a Phone Interview with HR, interviewed on-site with two heads of the department, received an offer about a week later. The whole process took 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, just practical examples of impact to the brand   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Very formal, everything went through HR. Multiple forms to fill out, writing samples required. 4 separate rounds of interviews with different officers. Scheduling was a bit of a problem as they would often ask if I could meet during times I had already listed as unavailable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for negotiation. Tried for a higher salary and was told the base pay was company policy across the board. Assistants do more work than many editors in a work day and work many more hours.

Freelance Fashion Assistant - GQ Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in October 2014.

Interview

First off, let's be clear about what Conde Nast means by "freelance":

For an "indefinite" period (could be anywhere from 1-2 years):

-You earn $10/hr ("but it's ok because you can earn overtime" and it's understood you will work lots overtime...hello weekends

-You do not receive health insurance or other benefits that staff employees typically receive

-Your name is not printed on the monthly masthead as a member of the mag's "staff"

That said, it was the worst interview processes I've ever undergone. I waited over an hour to be interviewed by the current fashion assistant who was nice but really gave no apology at all and simply assumed that I should understand because, well, it's GQ.

The interview questions were typical...I explained my background and what led me to GQ and the current fashion assistant explained the role and expectations.

I get it, Conde Nast is cutting costs left and right (just Google "Conde Nast layoffs"). In the end, I don't feel like I should be begging on all fours for a $10/hr job with no benefits or real recognition just because it's GQ.

I couldn't survive on $10/hr in the city unless I had my parents to support me. So, the cycle of the privileged few getting their feet in the door continues.

Media Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Condé Nast (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

About 11 of us given a presentation about the role then given a test and allowed about 45 minutes for this. Questions were straightforward, basically a personality test and psychometric, multiple choice questions. Some questions at the end required a written answer such as 'how would an enemy describe you?' 'what gives you pleasure in life?'. Taken for a very short one and one interview and was talked over.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?
      Why media sales?
      Where else have you applied?
      Which of our publications do you read?

Answer Question

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Several meetings and conversations during the interview process for an entry level position - staff was really friendly and answered questions / seemed like a great working environment for an entry level position / office was beautiful and seemed like a positive team / lots of people my age on the team

Interview Questions

• How would I feel working for a job share?   1 Answer

It was freelance so no benefits, which is not what was originally presented

Digital Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied through Craigslist and was contacted by a talent acquisition manager within a day or two. We set up a day and time for me to come in and meet for the initial screening. This lasted 30 min. or so and mostly revolved around my background, the position itself, salary range, etc. Very cordial and friendly. She set up a phone interview with the Sr. Technology Manager to take place a couple of days later.

Phone interview went well. I expected it to be more of the same regarding background and the position, which a portion of it was, but the brunt turned into a lot of textbook JavaScript questions—nothing too crazy, but enough to show whether you had a grasp of the basics—as well as thoughts on various dev practices. It was great in that it sparked additional conversation giving more of a sense of ability. After this I was contacted again by the talent acquisition manager and was asked to put my info into the Condé Nast career system and she set up an in-person interview with the Sr. Technology Manager, Sr. Software Engineer and Director of Product Management the following week.

Again, everyone was very friendly and it wasn't a high-stress situation. The Software Engineer quizzed me on JS, CSS and HTML. Most questions were text-book type of questions but there were a few situational questions to see how you'd approach solving a problem. The Sr. Tech Manager and I followed up on our phone conversation and talked about the quizzing from the Software Engineer. The Director of Product Management and I talked a bit about Analytics, Dev Ops, and other things. Overall, things went well. I made a couple of stupid syntax mistakes when doing the JS quiz but not enough to really be a deal-breaker.

Heard back a couple of days later from the Talent Acquisition Manager that they were going forward with a other candidates—they were looking for someone who had more of dev ops and analytics background in addition to be being a front-end coder.

All in all, a very straight-forward interview process. No dragging things out. No flakiness. Nice folks. I'd apply again if something more in line with my skillset came up.

Interview Questions

• Not really a question but when Analytics and Dev Ops experience came up, that was a bit unexpected as it wasn't really mentioned in the job description or by the interviewers.   Answer Question

Media Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast (London, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied by post and was accepted to first round interview. Short Presentation by them followed and then they asked us (roughly 12) to take a personality test - all very simple. The five minute interview that followed was fine apart from the interviewer cutting me off at almost every point.

Questions asked:

Why Conde Nast?
    Which of our publications do you read?
    Are you really interested in Media Sales?
    Where else did you apply?

I was invited back for a second interview. They like to do it in quick succession and I believe they invited many of us back for second interviews as I saw interviewee's that I recognized either before or after me. The interview was completely bizarre.

Questions asked:

What is your first childhood memory
    What was your first day of primary school like
    How was the transition from primary to secondary school?
    What clubs did you attend/ extra curricular/ activities involved in
    How was it going from a small school to a big one?
    Were you close to your sister?

I was expecting competency based questions or at least questions related to my CV and achievements to date/ degree. I'm not sure entirely what her intention was but I would guess that it was an attempt to gauge my popularity and how malleable I was. To me it seemed somewhat unrelated to the job.