Chegg Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated 15 Dec, 2014
Updated 15 Dec, 2014

2.9

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)).

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn first. The position looked interesting, so I decided to pursue the process. However, when I replied to the recruiter, it seems that he didn't even remember he reached out to me first. That was the first time that I had a bit weird feeling about this company. After the initial screen, I had an opportunity to speak with the design manager. He was really nice, and passionate about what he's been working on. We both had a great time, and he told me he wants to bring me in to the next round on-site interview on the phone. A week after, I visited the Santa Clara office. I did design presentation and met a couple on people 1:1. The atmosphere during the presentation wasn't that great. I felt a lot of pressure, and they asked me a bunch of questions before I explain the thing, which was distracting. Overall experience was okay, but during the interview I already had a feeling I'm not a great fit. Because what they are looking for and what I've experienced and been expecting for next role is completely different. I wrote thank you email and my impression frankly to the recruiter. At the end, he didn't even reply to my email. It was really disappointing. Overall, I don't think it's worth to spend my time on this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your mobile experience. How to collaborate with other designers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

The HR guy contacted initially, followed by a phone screen. The HR guy seemed nice and gave me a detailed overview of the company
    The interviewer seemed to be confused and outright rude at times. Asked me design question and kept on confusing me as I was trying to come up with a solution.

Interview Questions

• question was not that difficult, usual design question   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

I was referred to Chegg, but not through an employee. I sent our family friend my resume and then I got a call from the intern manager about a week later. She was super nice and we discussed my resume and my career interests. We scheduled a formal interview via phone and she called me back a week later. The interview was about 30 mins with her giving me an introduction of Chegg, asking me questions and then letting me ask her questions. She then said she'd follow up with me. About a week later she called me with a few options of internships in marketing that'd I'd be good for. I gaveher my opinions. Then a week after that I was offered a marketing internship. I was so excited and accepted on the spot!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed a college assignment and what did you learned from it?   1 Answer

Content Market Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews followed by an in person interview. When I was brought in I was interviewed by 2 colleagues, the HR manager and the Director. The interview process was in 2 weeks. It was weird because they rushed my interview process through then waited a few more days until they told me they cancelled the position.

Interview Questions

• If you had 5 slides to present to executives how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

I was referred by an employee, I already know about the hiring manager thru a connection. I was directly asked to come for in-person interview after discussion with recruiter. I met 3 folks including the hiring manager. First 2 was cool more like a discussion. Third was the team lead, it went well initially but I was asked to write code for a simple problem. But I wasn't prepared and I was stumped. I can sense that it didn't went well. I also did some mistakes like not explaining my thought process etc.,

Interview Questions

• Here are the questions.
      1. How will you run shell script on remote server
      2. Different SQL ways of getting time spent info from call lag data (lead-lag query)
      3. Data modeling for high volume click stream data
      4. Write a program to find the value for the given key from a file containing key-value pairs

Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

3 rounds of telephonic interview. Each around 30-60 mins

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone screen and on site interview. One day. Sr. manager asked a technical question. VP asked a technical question. Met with design team.

Interview Questions

• Mostly user experience coding test. Was not that difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Stated my desired salary, was offered 5k less.

Sourcing Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in April 2010.

Interview

I interviewed for a temp-to-hire position to manually source books. The job description that I was initially given was vague, but the 5 people who interviewed me helped to clarify a clearer picture of my function. All my interviewers were future teammates/ leads and it was clear by the 3rd or 4th person that my evaluation was more focused on whether I'd get along with the team. Overall I'd say the process was not too intimidating (aided by the fact that none of the interviewers looked older than 25), and the questions I asked were fairly straightforward. I was assessed on my skills on how to communicate with vendors and customers. The interview questions turned out to be quite relevant to the job once I started.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness and how would you work to overcome it when it affects your performance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing was negotiated - I was informed of my hourly wage. For someone fresh out of college, securing a job and being given the opportunity to start your career somewhere is key. Negotiation should only be done if a. there's any indication that the wages are flexible and/or b. you're skilled and specialized in the position you're looking for.

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

Went through two 1 hour phone interviews with management. The onsite interview consisted of meeting with half a dozen managers and a few individual contributers. The overall process was fairly average but due to being interviewed during the busy season some of the interviewers I spoke to ended their discussion abruptly. They will ask you to whiteboard process/code so be prepared to do that. Typical "start-up" culture. The management layer is extremely impressive - they are effectively the leaders in this industry segment in the Silicon Valley.

Interview Questions

• Given the current xyz process - explain how you would improve this process?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose to enter this specific field?   Answer Question

Human Resources Role Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in July 2009.

Interview

Was referred by an investor to the company. A phone screen followed by an interview 2 days later. Met with members of the leadership team and the CEO/Co-Founder...from whom I could tell right away that I was not what he had in mind. Typical startup: the interviews started late, ran late, and the interviewers did not seem to know what they wanted -- or rather, they only wanted what they had previously decided would be a match. Had to follow-up with the CFO once or twice before he sent an email: "We've decided on another candidate."