Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated 14 Apr, 2015
Updated 14 Apr, 2015

RIA Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

I applied online through LinkedIn. First call was a quick one minute preview just setting up a time to conduct an interview. The next call was 45 minute call that asked multiple questions and got to know me a little more. Both of these people were not from where I applied to work, they were from Texas and Orlando. I am still in the interview process and haven't received any more interview dates.

Interview Questions

• Why Schwab?
      Give a customer service example.
      GIve a time when you were put in a situation you didn't have control over, what was your reaction and what was the results.

Broker Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Emailed and asked to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview lasted 45 minutes and was a behavioral interview. Said that they would notify you within a week. Still waiting to hear back on whether or not, I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you and a coworker had a disagreement and what was the outcome? Threw my off a little bit because I have never been in this situation. The rest of the questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Investment Management Summer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Applied online through Charles Schwab website, received an email the following week for a phone interview, had the phone interview that same week, currently awaiting further response. The interview was about 30 minutes long. The interviewer started off by telling me more details about the job, then asked me general interview type questions, and we ended with me asking them questions.

Broker Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

After applying online I was contacted by a recruiter and directed to take a personality test, then set up a phone interview. After the phone interview I was contacted to go in for an in person interview. If you get passed the in person interview you have the job pending a background check and drug test.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you tutored a lower classman, what skills and strategies did you use to teach them?   Answer Question

Managing Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in March 2015.

Interview

Fair process. Very communicative process. Nice people. Phone screen, in person interviews with many levels, interview with colleagues, HR and senior staff. Do your research. Best if get referred by internal candidate. Be yourseldlf. They focus a lot on measuring for culture fit, which is good if you are looking for that type of company.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel if I tell you we want you here for ten years?   1 Answer

Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Orlando, FL (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First Interview was a 10-15 minute phone conversation/interview to discuss my interest level in Charles Schwab, (Hint- know the basic of the position and have general interest in working in Finance). Once you pass the first interview, the recruiter will schedule a second phone interview a week later which will last 45-60 minute. The interviewer will asked behavioral and scenario-type questions, he/she will question you on your knowledge of the position and your knowledge of the company. (Hint- know the Star method,research the company and prepare some questions to ask, the recruiter will ask several times if you have any questions for her, so have at-least 4-6 questions prepared ). If you past the second phone interview, a week later a hiring manager will email you to setup an in-person interview with 2 managers and you will also get a chance to shadow someone for 30 minutes. The managers will have you go through your resume, ask what you know about the position and off course you will be asked 6-8 behavioral interview questions, but at the end you'll get a chance to asked them questions, So make sure you research the company some more and know the culture. 1 Week later you will receive an email to schedule a final phone interview with a hiring manager, it really a conversation about your interest, so know the position real well, and off course he/she will ask a couple behavioral interview question, I hope by now you get the pattern, you must prepare, prepare, prepare for Behavioral interview questions and you have to know the Culture... one week later I received a call saying they want to move on with me, you have to go through a drug test, credit test, and background test. after the results come back Schwab will officially make an offer to you.

last hint of the day send a thank you letter to everybody you interview with, and make sure it personalize to each person that you speak with.

Interview Questions

• Customer Service experience that went poorly and how you handled the situation ?
      What the most innovation solution you have ever come with for a work problem?
      Give one example when you went out of your way to provide superior customer service.
      What is your most significant accomplishment to date?

Broker Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted over email and scheduled a phone interview with a talent representative. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. We discussed the position in detail and I was asked numerous STAR interview questions. This was the toughest part of the process for me as I was somewhat unprepared and the questions were tough. I was then invited for an interview at the Charles Schwab call center located in Phoenix. My interview was with two managers that over the area I was applying. They were both very friendly and told me all about themselves and their experience working with Schwab. They structured the interview more like a friendly conversation and each interview question built into the next. It was a pleasant experience. A day after the interview I was asked to take a drug screen and fill out a very thorough background check. I was offered a position about two weeks later.

Make sure you understand Charles Schwab's culture by using the resources the Talent Representative give you.

Practice STAR method interview questions and have specific examples. For the second interview I researched STAR questions online and sat down and though of specific work examples to use for each question. I then did a mock interview with my fiancé.

Ask good questions. Think of some strong questions before hand that directly relate to the finance industry.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it

Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done

Tell me about a recent situation in which you had to deal with a very upset customer or co-worker

Describe a major change or adjustment to your job and your reactions to the change

1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Position stats out a 40k a year with the chance of bonuses up to 5k.

Investor Services Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

30 min. phone interview with HR rep - just questions about why I was interested nothing technical. Second interview was in the office with two managers - again just behavior questions trying to get to know me. Some fellow interns had video interviews or final round phone interviews if they were out of state. Everyone was very nice throughout the interview process and this trend continued through the internship. Great people and great company that cares about its employees.

Junior Database Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Denver, CO (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview went well and got a call for in person interview.
    The in person interview was almost an embarrassing situation. The interviewer didn't show any interest. He didn't even have my resume in front of him, no rooms booked for an interview. He just led me to a random empty room and asked very easy but irrelevant questions for the position. If they had already selected someone else internally then there was no need to call someone for an interview just to cover their tracks. My time is valuable as much your time. It is not a good practice.

Interview Questions

• Do you need sponsorship for this position?   1 Answer

Participant Services Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Applied online at Charles Schwab website. Two weeks later, I received an email saying to do quick questionnaire. The questionnaire was straight forward with many examples of customer service. After that, I received an email stating that the company was still looking at applicants and I will be contacted if chosen. One month after I sent in my original application, I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview took place 5 days later and was about an hour long (We actually went way over time and had to end it). The recruiter said I will be contacted if chosen for a second round interview.

After 2 weeks from phone interview, I received a call from a local Charles Schwab manager inviting me to an interview. Since I was in finals week at school, the manager said he would call back in a week to set up interview time. One week later, I was contacted by a different manager at the same Charles Schwab office to set up an interview time. A week later, I had my interview at the office. The interview consisted of a senior manager and a recently promoted manager. Both were very friendly and informative of the position. The first 15 minutes consisted of the managers talking about the intern position I applied to and what they do at Charles Schwab. The next 30 minutes was questions about my school projects where teammates dropped out, how I would handle various customer calls, and school activities/organizations. The last 30 minutes, I asked questions about the company, CEO, the managers backgrounds both academic and professional, why they chose Charles Schwab, and really just tried to get to know them better. They said they would contact me in two weeks with results.

I did not feel I did well in the second round interview, but three weeks later, I was contacted to inform me that they wanted to proceed with me. The following week consisted of a background check which took 5 days (I think it usually takes longer), drug test, and finally an offer letter.

Overall, the process took about 2.5 months. My advice is to not get nervous if they are not contacting you when they said they would. They get very busy and usually contact 1 - 1.5 weeks after they initially said.

Tips: Research company, watch CEO videos and reference them in interviews, research the area of Schwab you are going into, have at least 3 examples of excellent customer service*, be in a finance related association at school (leadership position), examples of school activites and projects where you had different/unfamiliar roles, have at least 30 minutes of questions planned (know where the recruiters came from, why they chose Schwab, what the pay is, anything I could be doing to better prepare myself for internship, reference previous recruiters name in second round interview), and ultimately, your values need to align with the company's values.

*All answers must be in STAR approach. Formulate your answers to relate back to the position you are pursuing. I was going into retirement planning, so the "R" in my answer was always about long-term planning, customer service, or financial/retirement planning experience.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview questions:

Why Schwab?

What relevant work/school experience makes you an ideal candidate?

Time when you prepared, but failed and results?

When did you do something that you were not familiar with in a group setting? How did you get that position?

In person interview questions:

Tell me about a time in a school project that one or more of your team members dropped out? (Spent 15 minutes on this question)

We get calls from doctors, assembly line workers, managers, etc...How would you handle calls from the varying customers? and relate it to previous work experience.

Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A