Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct, 2014
Updated 16 Oct, 2014

2.9

Associate Software Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Schwab was conducting interviews on my university's campus. There were two interviewers who seemed very personable. They opened the interview by asking me to tell them what I know. The question threw me for a loop -- I hadn't even thought of preparing a presentation, and I really didn't know where to start. Things deteriorated from there, until in the end, they summarized everything they assumed I'd never even heard of (basic concepts like object oriented programming, reading UML, and knowing about agile, all of which I would have been glad to have discussed), kind of sneered at a language I had mentioned knowing (python, to which the interviewer replied, "I use C++ and Java, not little scripting languages.") and sent me away.

Schwab is supposed to be a great company to work for and I was really enthusiastic about the opportunity until I got into the interview. I was ready for "tell me about yourself" as a "soft" question, but in every other technical interview I've done, they've asked concrete questions that allow the candidate to demonstrate their knowledge, asked how the candidate would solve a specific problem, or handed me either pen and paper or grease pen and white board, and had me actually write code.

I thought the overall experience was pretty degrading. If they hadn't followed up the initial question by making so many assumptions about my general ignorance, I might have felt mortified about flubbing the initial "presentation," but as it is, I just felt set up for failure.

Associate Financial Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

It was a multi-stage process. I talked to the initial screener after my application was accepted for about 20 minutes and it was simply background information. This was followed up by a second phone call with talent acquisition. This was a 40 minute phone conversation that was a bit more detailed with more background and behavioral questions. After passing this stage, I was asked to come in for a test of my math and logic skills. The logic is similar to GMAT and LSAT logical reasoning questions, and the math is fairly standard. Naturally, the question topics contain information about portfolio, bond, and share values. The whole thing takes about 90 minutes. Upon passage of this stage, I was scheduled to meet with two managers of the CS&S division. This was the most daunting of all as there are two people asking only behavioral questions that require citing specific examples. Speaking in generalities does not win any points. I am proud to say I made it and received an offer. I was impressed by everyone and the culture of the company is apparent. Throughout the entire process, the communication was straightforward and honest. This is a company that takes hiring the right people seriously. It genuinely cares about and respects people.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for this role unless you are licensed.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

So far it has been a 3 step process. First, phone interview with Talent Manager (recruiter), second round was face-to-face interview with peer-manager, third was face-to-face with hiring manager for the department.

Interview Questions
    • Straight forward interview questions about the position and how past experience will lead to success   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

The process seems to be the same as many have noted before. Quick phone interview, longer on phone, more detailed with SAR questions. I am waiting for the next step which should be the on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • What accomplishment are you most proud of in your career?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Received a call from the recruiter and immediately they start asking salary questions be careful with that! They ask a lot of questions about possible scenarios of angry client's and how you handled. Be wary they offer amazing bonuses and over time. Neither is easily attained; bonus is paid in tiers depending on seniority, pay grade level, and extra roles you took. Overtime is offered twice a year and limited.

Interview Questions
    • Summarize the worse comment received by a manager   View Answer
    Terrible, they tell you they cannot negotiate. They lie, negotiate at least 10-13% more, that is their latitude

Associate Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Applied online, did an online questionnaire, an initial phone screening lasting about 15 minutes, and then an hour long phone interview after which I was asked to take the sifma assessment. I passed the exam which consisted of logic questions and some simple math questions. You are allowed a calculator and scratch paper for the exam. I was then called in to a face to face interview with 2 managers. This lasted about an hour and a half. I was contacted by my recruiter about 2 hours later about completing authorization forms for background and credit check. This has been a long process but waiting to hear back on the checks was the hardest part (three weeks). I received an email today saying they are ready to make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were typical Star style questions and not that difficult if you follow the format. I had the hardest time with the logic test because you are not allowed to revisit a question once it is answered.   Answer Question

Derivative Analyst Interview

phone interview, I applied via the online site and had a phone interview that I thought went very well. I answered two situation questions "tell me about a time when" and then the recruiter ended the call. I did not get called in for an additional interview.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via telephone who then scheduled a telephone with me. I was told to do my research on behavioral type interviews. Not surprisingly, the telephone was all behavioral questions. After the telephone interview, I was scheduled for an in-person interview at the location. Following the in-person interview, I never heard from anyone at this company.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral phone interview. Mostly background/experience questions during the in-person interview.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I transferred internally. First time I was hired, I had a mini exam during the interview (as in: paper & multiple choice questions). So if you're applying for technical job, make sure you brush up on your skills.

Associate Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2014.

The process is just as it's been described by other interviewees, five minute phone screen, followed by a more in-depth hour long phone call with "tell me about a time when?" type of questions which should be answered in the STAR method. You will then be asked to come in and take the SIFMA exam, which if you can do basic arithmetic and answer logical word questions you will do fine.

Then there is the 2:1 manager interview on site. This is where my issues begin with this company and I hope someone from Schwab reads this in order to correct their mistakes. First off the person that I was told I would be interviewing with I didn't, which by my estimation is completely unprofessional. I'm the type that will go above an beyond to prepare for an interview so I had researched the individual that I was told I would interview with via social media in order to make small talk about his interests to exemplify just how passionately I wanted the position, which was obviously a waste of time. Then the two women (whom I didn't know their names or that they were going to be conducting the interview) showed up seven minutes late as I waited in the lobby like a schmuck. Schwab obviously thinks that its time is more valuable than mine. Upon doing the interview I exactingly, methodically dissected every question that they threw at me with poise, professionalism, energy, articulation and specificity. I ran circles around these women who were not professionally dressed or polished in any shape of the word. Their questions sounded like: "Name a time when, uuummm...., name a time when?" By the end of the interview I've never felt so confident about a position. However several hours later I received a call saying that they were not going to move forward with my application because there were candidates better suited for the position.

It's my perception from what I can gather that I was probably overqualified for the position. However they way overstate the qualifications because I had them all. I believe that they are looking for individuals who have less experience and are a little more moldable, and that's fine, however all I did during the interview was speak to my resume, which they had from the FIRST DAY of a month long process.

I think it's probably a great position for someone without experience and doesn't mind working potentially at 3:00 am on Christmas morning.