Cerner

Average Difficulty
113 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details It includes both technical and behavior questions. About your achievements, strengths and weakness, what changes can you make etc.
Checks overall skills in development and technology. It also evaluates your learning skills which is really valued and highly appreciated.

Interview Question – Behavior questions are not easy to answer always   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details 2 rounds of face to face technical interview. should be strong in concepts, technically bit sound. they provide you with various instances and test your analytical skills as well

My interview went for 2 hours , felt good

Interview Question – didnt feel anything most difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – did not negotiate

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details Campus Interview in Bangalore, India. Day started with a company presentation. Then a 1 - 2 hr written test (aptitude test). Those who qualified the written test, there was a group discussion round with a group size of 10 - 15 students.
A topic was given to discuss for 20 - 30 minutes with 2 of of company members present in the room but "not evaluating anything". At the end, each student was given time to summarize the discussion which was supposed to be evaluated by the company representatives. The filtered list of students the went for personal interview.
Personal Interview was simultaneously with 3 people, one each from development, testing and HR. I was given time at the end to ask questions.
At the end of the (very long) day, they declared the list of qualified candidates - 5 out of 300 odd people who originally sat for the written test and handed over a offer later with an estimated date of joining.

Interview Question – For the personal interview: Simple engineering level questions around programming, like C++ Pointers, String reversal algorithm etc. were asked. They were more interested in seeing the approach rather than code with correct syntax. Interviewers were friendly and nice.

Strange Qs:The testing guy wanted to ask about prerequisites from the clients in a project. I explained but I guess he wanted to hear the word "Requirements", commonly used in software maintenance and testing. Probably was strange for me as I thought it to be only a software developer interview but they were also looking for software test engineers.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. Fixed amount already known to all undergraduates before the interview process began.

Manhattan, KS (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2011.

Interview Details Initial interest is based solely on resume's. Cerner is hiring a lot, so they use cursory looks to week out obvious incompetents. The 2-round initial interviews are with HR people, regardless of how technical the position is, so they are looking for buzzwords and people skills. The questionnaire they have you fill out, however, is reviewed by someone with more technical experience.

Expect questions on what languages you are proficient with, and other similar skills (databases, web design, etc.) They are looking mostly for C++ and Java people, but also have places for Ruby, Groovy, and some others. Expect a question on a difficult coding bug and how you resolved it. Expect a question on a difficult team situation (Suppose a team member is being hostile or uncooperative...) and how you resolved that. Expect questions on experience with development in a team environment.

If you pass both rounds of interviews, you are offered a job.

Interview Question – Describe the most difficult software bug you ever encountered in software you were developing, how you approached it, and how you resolved it (if you resolved it).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They did not appear open to negotiation, though I did not try. They had offer letters pre-printed with the salary already typed in. Because they are doing a lot of hiring, I do not think negotiation will be possible for entry-level positions, though others might see more success.

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details Applied through Employee Referral. Process took two weeks. First round was a HR round and then got scheduled for a three hour Skype Interview with three teams. I was allowed to choose between Skype or Onsite Interview and i chose Skype. All the questions are posted here. Lots of behavioral questions. Questions on Resume. Waiting for an Answer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you trouble shooter and failed.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details Initial HR call: Within a week from application.
Usual resume-related questions. Rate yourself in each known language, best project etc.
Technical Phone call: Immediate week of the HR call
Theory question related to databases; how to improve access speed, one technical data structure related question, design a structure for game of chess, questions related to debugging.

Interview Question – How would you debug on a real-time parallel processing system?   View Answers (5)

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in July 2013.

Interview Details Fake promises

Software Engineer

I applied through another source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Question – Lots of behavioral question   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details Puzzles, Technical interviews, C++ basic question. Interview was very easy. Interviewers were very co-operative.

Interview Question – Some puzzle question   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2012.

Interview Details First phone interview - HR based. Then three 1:1 interview - behavioral and 1 code.

Interview Question – Asked to write a program.   Answer Question

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!