Cerner Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.6

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in October 2011.

Were very polished and polite in the interview process. Actually persuaded me to join their company instead of taking the already-existing offer from Oracle. They also came up on salary from 55k to 57k starting. I would say that, in retrospect, they are probably the smoothest company I've ever interviewed with.

Interview Questions
    • It was tremendously easy. The most unexpected question was probably when they asked me to describe wiki technology and why it's useful.   Answer Question
    They came up a couple of thousand on salary because I had an offer elsewhere.

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in August 2014.

It was fairly straight forward, a recruiter contacted me and asked me general HR question about my experience. (Resume Stuff) A week later, I had a technical interview. After that, I was asked to fly up to KC for an in-person interview. That consisted of a few technical interviews by a few different people.

Interview Questions
    • I will not give any specific questions, but I feel it would be helpful to others to give an overview of things to study. There is another post on here that does a VERY good job of covering everything, so I won't reinvent the wheel.

Freshen up on your networking skills (OSI Model, roles of different hardware on a network). You need to have a working knowledge of UNIX based commands in a terminal/command line interface. (ls,cd,find,top,chmod,chown).
        Answer Question
    They seem to be pretty firm with their offer, as they try to make the best one possible so that no one's time is wasted. They are very generous.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Applied through website. Got an email from HR to schedule a phone interview. Asked basic questions on data structures and testing. Then got an email to interview on-site. 2 interviews on site; each around 1 hr. Many questions such as OO concepts, data structures; wrote a basic program (divide by 5, 7)... Many behavioral questions focusing on past experience.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate and you will get an increase.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner.

out of 500 they shortlisted 130 candidates in the first aptitude round . it was so easy round . which consist of 6 to 8 aptitude questions more than 20 verbal and some of computer fundamentals .

then second round is hr round . they ask basic hr questions ( why , what , etc,.)

third round is the tec round, where they ask some puzzles and coding questions .

at last 10 people where selected.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in September 2014.

Campus Recruitment - Intern position - Started with an Online Test which included Aptitude and Technical questions. The technical questions were mostly based on Software Engineering principles. Total of 50 questions in 60 minutes. 130 were shortlisted out of 450, and were sent for HR Interviews. Basic questions like why Cerner, why did you pursue engineering etc. Candidates clearing the HR round were sent for Technical Interviews. Questions ranging from Software Engineering concepts, basics of C/C++, data structures, OO concepts, projects, programming languages known and technologies worked on.

Interview Questions
    • Explain virtual functions and elaborate on how they help during object oriented programming.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

first round: online test, and it was very easy
    second round: HR... they will look in to communication skill and leadership quality by giving some situation and ask how will you manage that. only thing is be confident and calm.
    third round: immediately after HR round there will be technical round and will ask basic questions and ask about projects that you have mentioned in resume.

Intern Interview

Initially, there was an aptitude round consisting of 50 questions to be solved in 60 minutes. The questions were from Software Engineering, Aptitude and little bit of Electronics and OS. After that, there was a HR first and then Technical Round. There were eliminations after each round. Technical round consisted of questions like implement a chess board, sudoku etc. using oop concepts.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, It was a in campus offer,

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cerner in July 2014.

The interviewer actually tested on OOPS concepts and how to implement the same for a game and also asked on stargeies used to test your code and how to go about debugging the saem .

Trainer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Cerner in July 2014.

This was a very bad interview experience for me. Someone from HR contacted me in mid June asking for an interview and asked when I would be available for a phone call. I sent back my availability and he never responded. I followed up three times before finally getting an answer on his side asking me for a phone interview in early July.

The phone interview was very basic. I have no idea how they used it as a selection criteria. The questions were simple like my highest level of education, my years of work experience, was I American.

After the phone interview the HR guy never got back to me. Two weeks later I followed up with him. No answer. A week after that I e-mailed him again. This time he answered asking me again for my salary expectations and claiming that he had been too busy to answer my previous e-mails.

I answered. But then again I heard nothing for two more weeks. Finally in mid August I e-mailed him using rather aggressive language demanding to know if/when a decision would be made and could he tell me my status. He answered within five minutes saying that sorry he had forgotten to tell me that they filled the position weeks ago.

Interview Questions
    • What is your highest level of education? Can you do this job?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Very professional and organized process. They excel at hiring and interviews.Starts with HR phone screening then phone interviews with management followed by a paid trip to Kansas City. Three managers conduct the interviews and then you present a powerpoint presentation on the subject of your choice to demonstrate public speaking skills.

Interview Questions
    • I believe the equipment was purposely tampered with during the presentation to assess coping skills under stressful situations.   View Answer
    Negotiations were very professional and successful.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!