Cerner Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr, 2015

2.6

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2015.

Interview

First Round:
    I have applied though the career website and received an email from a recruiter to schedule a telephonic interview. In this one I was asked very basic HR questions which are mentioned in the "Interview Questions" section:
    Then he told about the “Academy Learning” program for the new hires. And asked whether if I had any questions. After that he told me schedule an appointment for a video call with an engineer.

Second Round:
    This round was conducted using a tool called HireValue which allows video calling and online code editor. The Engineer who interviewed me first talk about the company and life at CERNER. Then he asked the following questions which are mentioned in the "Interview Questions" section

After that I was given a chance to ask some questions. Still waiting for the result.

My Suggestion: Be 100% prepared for all the questions posted on Glassdoor and improve your design skills for questions like design a class for allergy, person.

Wish you all the very best :)

Interview Questions

• First Round:
      1) Tell me about yourself
      2) Why Cerner?
      3) What was your experience at your internship?
      4) Do you need any sponsorship?
      5) When will you graduate?

Second Round:
      1) Tell about a project you are most proud of
      2) When did you take feedback from others? What were the results?
      3) Explain any project who had worked on?
      4) How do you approach if a client encountered an error in the application?
      5) How do you approach if a client encountered multiple errors in the application?
      6) Design a class which stores information related to an allergy which includes symptoms, who reported the allergy, severity etc.
      7) Design a class which stores demographic information of a person like name, address, phone number, male/female. What if the person has any prefix to the name, multiple phone numbers/addresses, how will you handle dob in case of multiple locations(If a person is both at 12 PM in USA on a date, then that date is different from date in India), how will you handle the validations of these fields when the user enters the values
      8) What is your favorite data structure? I told Linked List and Binary Search Tree. Then he asked me to write the representation of the word CERNER in the form of Binary Search Tree.
      9) What are your favorite programming languages?
      10) Tell me about your internship experience.
      11) Tell me how you were able to work in a new company and get used to that culture?
      12) Tell me your experience in learning new technologies and the difficulties you faced during that.

1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO (US)).

Interview

I got a video technical interview one day after applying at a college fair. About two weeks later they asked me to come to something called experience Cerner day. They take you around the City and feed you the day before. Then you visit the Innovations campus where they give you a company overview which is followed by two more technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• Create a class to determine if somebody has a temperature.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

It was a very laid back day. The interviews were very conversational. They wanted to talk and make sure I had decent social skills. The questions were more secondary. If you have made it to the interview process that is good. You are already pretty much hired.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to think outside the box   1 Answer

Interview

I applied online through their website. Submitted a resume and cover letter. Had a phone interview that lasted approximately 30 minutes. I was asked about my resume, school, previous jobs. There were also a couple of general behavioral questions. I was told I would hear back from them about an in-person interview in Kansas City but I did not. Followed up twice via email and phone and never heard back.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Interview

So I applied online through Cerner's website. I sent my resume and cover letter and did not receive a response until about 2 weeks later. They asked for a phone interview which was quickly set up. This consists of basic HR questions - tell me about your current job, how did you hear about Cerner, are you interviewing anywhere else, are you legally able to work in the U.S., and where do you see yourself in 5 years. This lasted for about 15 minutes and it was over. The recruiter then asked me to send my college transcripts. 2 days later, I was asked to fly out for Experience Cerner Day which is 2 days long. The first day there's a tour of Kansas City and an overview of Cerner, then a dinner. It's all very relaxing and laid back. The next day, you get a tour of Cerner's campus and the interviews start. I had 2 back to back interviews with one interviewer. They are all behavioral/STAR questions and you just have to use the experiences you have. The interviews are to last 30 minutes but both of mine went over time. They just want to get to know you and see if you'd be a good fit. I received an offer about 3 business days after the interview (I needed an expedited answer though so I'm not sure if this is the norm) From beginning to end (applying online to receiving an offer) took a month and a few days.

Acdemic Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Mostly behavioral and questions based on designing class diagram. First round was basic HR round like when you are graduating, tel about yourself. Second round was one to one online video interview.Based on behavioral and some class design diagram.Overall was easy.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral and questions which are already posted in glass door   3 Answers

Academy Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

First Round with the HR. General questions about your resume and some basic HR questions.

Second round was with the Solutions Architect via the HireVue. Was asked the same old Patient Allergy design question, a few simple questions about my design and a few behavioral/situation type questions. Received the invite for the Experience Cerner day, the next day and flew to Kansas city two weeks later.

Experience Cerner Day was great! It was more like a trip than an interview. The agenda was the same. They haven't changed the process in years (Kansas city tour + Dinner) Next morning I had two back to back 1 hour interviews with the Solution Architect and a Senior Software Engineer. It was pretty similar to the second round, with a mix of behavioral and design questions. The design questions were different from what I saw on Glassdoor, but they were simple. Had lunch and a tour of the Innovations campus and was dropped back to the airport.

Received the offer a week later. Just be confident and the jobs is yours!

Interview Questions

• 1. What is the difference between a thread and process?
      2. Tell me a time where you automated a task to make your life easier.

Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

After being contacted by a recruiter I had two 1 hour interviews over webcam with engineers. About half the questions were behavioral, the other half technical. First interview went really well. Second interview went well up until the last two technical questions which I was unable to answer. I didn't make it to the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• In both interviews I was given coding tasks involving OOP. For example, I was given a set of requirements/functionality and asked to create a class for an allergy.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner in April 2015.

Interview

Got response in ONE week and schedule a HR interview. Last for 50 minutes. The interview let you describe you current job, describe yourself and your current employment authorization status. They asked a lot about how you did testing in your job because 80% of their codes are used for testing. I think it would be nice if you have similar experience. The recruiter is nice, patient and very willing to answer questions. Ask everything you want to know about the company and position.

Technical Solutions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Process took about 2 weeks. Phone interview asking standard HR questions. Went to Cerner's campus to interview same week. Asked standard STAR questions and giving examples about time you had to do it.