Cerner

Average Difficulty
607 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview Details I was planning to apply to Cerner in the nearby future (they actually came to my university recruiting but I didn't apply anywhere straight away) when I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Knowing that this was probably the best way to actually get over the fear of applying I replied and applied right away.
The whole process would have been faster, but I had prior commitments.
I had a phone interview with the recruiter 4 days after she contacted me, and then a phone interview with a software engineer a little bit more than a week after that.
The first phone interview was very basic, completely behavioral. The most unexpected questions were "what do you do in your spare time to increase your programming abilities" (I'm in grad school, I spend most of my time doing research, during the day and when I'm back at home; I ended up telling her about the algorithms books I had started reviewing) and "tell me about a recent time when you learned a new programming language" (I hadn't learned a new programming language in a while, so I was not entirely prepared for this either, but I talked about a time 4 years ago heh).
The phone interview with the engineer was again mostly behavioral. Any technical questions are already posted on Glassdoor.
Then I got the call about Experience Cerner day, but I couldn't make it to the earliest one because of prior commitments, so I made it to the next one, which was exactly a month after my technical phone screen.
Experience Cerner Day was quite nice, albeit it started very, very early. We started with a tour of Kansas City, the city of fountains, and then had our interviews.
One note about attire: Cerner is jeans-casual, but everyone interviewing will, more than likely, wear a suit. So do the same, you don't want to feel under-dressed!
My interviewers were pleasant and we had some nice conversations. Half behavioral, half technical. They asked the Fizz-Buzz question, and another one about designing a database. All of the questions are on Glassdoor (except the database question, just make sure you know RDBMS normalization, you should figure it out on your own, this was definitely not a standard question).
I'll add the question I felt I had the biggest problem with (but which maybe was exactly what got me hired) below.
They said it would take them up to 2 weeks to give out a decision, I got mine in 10 days (I had almost given up hope by then).

Interview Question – When was there a time when ONE SINGLE project was so overwhelming that you felt there weren't enough hours in a day for it and what did you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I thought about negotiating but then searched online and it seems that that's the salary they give out (it's 1k less than someone posted here). I also got a relocation package.

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details 2 rounds Phone Interview and 2 rounds onsite interview, all questions from glassdoor.
Kansas City is a small and nice city but looks not much fun.
Cerner is a good company and the business model is correct.
All the staff we met looks love their company so much.
The interview peace is too tight and you don't have time to know the city even this is a small city.

Interview Question – some behavior questions   View Answers (2)

Support Analyst Interview

Support Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details I applied online on their careers website. About a week after that I got an email from the recruiter to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview I was just asked basic questions about my education and a couple behavioral questions. At the end of the phone interview, she told me she wanted to schedule a phone interview which was schedule for 5 weeks later. There were 15 other applicants at the in person interview applying for the same position. I had a one and a half hour interview which consisted of three 30 minute interviews with different managers. The interviewers were really nice and asked about 4-5 behavioral questions each.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview Details Although I had a good deal of enthusiasm going into the first phone interview (the first after one or two phone screens), I can not say the same for my interviewer. Whether it was my resume or just his task of interviewing prospects that inspired his dull, uninterested handling of questions I won't know. Rushed through introductions, didn't make an attempt at conversation, and seemed rebuffed during the introduction when I asked him how he was. Each question was read off the list, with little to no acknowledgement of correct answers (certainly not for incorrect answers). Received a rejection the next day. Mercifully quick at least.

Of note, in the weeks that followed, I had Cerner recruiters picking up my resume from indeed.com and emailing me. I found out, however, that this just means they don't bother cross-checking prospects with previously interviewed employees. As I was still interested in what this company does, I expressed interest in interviewing with them again, but this was not possible.

Interview Question – Most of the questions already listed in other comments. I also remember a question regarding the design of an OOP Chess game.   Answer Question

Velocity Software Interview

Velocity Software

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in October 2013.

Interview Details There were two phone interviews. The first phone interview was an HR screening. This included very typical questions. This was followed by a semi-technical phone interview. This interview included behavioral and basic OOP questions.

There were also two onsite technical interviews. Neither was very difficult. Both included basic data structures, OOP, and a couple behavioral questions.

Interview Question – I was asked to design a unit test for a method that reverses a string.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As this was an intern position, there was no negotiation.

Solution Architect Interview

Solution Architect
Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in May 2014.

Interview Details The recuiter reached out to me online to inquire about my experirence, and two weeks later, I was on a flight to KC to interview for the position. The Interview process was smooth, and everyone was very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Question – There were a lot of questions asking to site examples from previous work experience. If you are able to thin on the spot, and have a good memory, you should be fine. The interviewers were very nice and accomodating, so if you need to take a second, they will understand.   Answer Question

Velocity Delivery Consultant Interview

Velocity Delivery Consultant

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details Several weeks after submitting a resume, I was called by a recruiter and invited to Kansas City for an interview. We toured the headquarters, learned about the company, and then had 3 separate one on one interviews.

Interview Question – They mostly ask about previous experiences. Behavioral based.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview Details Had my 1st HR Phone interview 2 months ago and they scheduled me for 2nd phone round a week ago. Second one was a phone-based interview that mostly focused on Technical and a bit behavioral aspects. I got to know in a couple of days that I got through my 2nd round as well and Now waiting on them to schedule my Onsite Interviews. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Everything was from glassdoor information base. It really helps you to ease and ace your interview.   View Answers (2)

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Velocity Professional Services Consultant
Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in January 2012.

Interview Details My first interview was a phone interview, with very basic questions, mostly protocol related questions. We then proceeded to schedule a skype interview for my second interview since I was still in school and lived out of state. The skype interview was three rounds of interviews with different people with more behavioral based questions, not super hard but required some thought. Make sure to be as specific as possible when answering these questions because they want actual scenarios.

Interview Question – The most difficult question for me was a question about handling a change at work and how I adapted to it. Since I was working mostly basic jobs throughout college I had a hard time initially thinking of a specific situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me what I expected and a relocation package, so I was pleased.

Solution Architect Interview

Solution Architect
North Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview Details I was contacted by a senior recruiter for the Solution Architect position after I had previously applied for a position with Cerner. After being contacted by this recruiter, I went through the first-level application on the Cerner website. I was then provided a phone interview within 5 business days with the senior recruiter to discuss the basics of the job. After completion of the initial phone interview, I received an e-mail about 3 business days after the phone interview from another member of the HR team at Cerner to schedule my on-site interview. I was scheduled to meet with three individuals (2 Directors and 1 Manger) and was told the process would take about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

The first person I met with shared the basics regarding travel, expected knowledge level, desired knowledge/skills/abilities, and some info about the team I will be working with. She also shared her experience of "a day in the life" of a Solution Architect and her general experience at Cerner.

The second person I met with shared a few more technical aspects of the position and he also shared his experience of "a day in the life" of a Solution Architect and his general experience at Cerner.

The third person was more cut and dry, sticking primarily to interview questions, etc. She did, however, provide her experience of "a day in the life" of Solution Architect and her general experience at Cerner.

ALL three of these individuals had several behavioral or situational questions which seemed like standard interview questions to me.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you provided an innovative solution to a problem, but had to troubleshoot or provide damage control for other issues discovered after implementing your solution.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I have received an informal offer, but have not yet received the formal offer of employment.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!