Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr, 2015

Intern Interview

Interview

Just a single phone interview of two 30 minute sessions, they said right away that it would be the only round as well. In the interview they asked mostly behavioral questions, about 6 or 7 for each 30 minute session. Each 30 minute session had a different interviewer and they asked nearly identical questions but you were supposed to come up with different situations to answer the similar questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you inspired someone to work harder.   Answer Question

CNC Machinist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thomasville, GA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Thomasville, GA (US)).

Interview

Submitted an application and heard back from them a few months later to come in for an interview. At the interview, I went in and was seated before 5 people and was different questions and was then allowed to ask questions. It was intended to be a difficult interview, I guess to see how you were under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about something related to safety that you did to make your workplace safer?   1 Answer

Accounting Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in April 2015.

Interview

It was basically just behavioral questions. It is recommended that you know the STAR response technique. The people were really friendly and it was very enjoyable talking with them. I had two phone interviews on back to back days and they asked basically the same questions so be ready for that.

Interview Questions

• What is one time you had to settle a dispute between people?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Very easy. One hour long, 30 minutes per person. Behavioral style questions. I found otu i had an interview withing one week of applying. The following week I had my interview and then by the end of the week I had a job offer. Very quick and easy interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a recent decision you made?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

50minutes interview, traditional STAR formation. The hiring manager also asked about my past experience. Not too many technical questions though. I think they are more willing to take team players.

Interview Questions

• tell me a time when you learned a new skill and applied it later   Answer Question

Technical Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Typical STAR questions. Interviewed with two separate people, each for a half hour. Asked me lots of questions about my work experiences, along with lots of leadership questions. Both people were very easy to interview with. I was told I would hear back about the position within a week. It has been two weeks and I have still not heard from either people.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to step up and be a leader?
      Describe a time you felt overwhelmed with work, and how did you handle it?
      Describe a time you worked as a part of a team to solve a problem?
      What is the most difficult assignment (school or work) that you've ever had to deal with?

Answer Question

Powertrain - Lab Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with the Powertrain division manager first, then went over resume with both him and another manager from the division. After the briefing, we looked through the lab and I was quizzed on things I ought to know for the job. Lots of exposure to where I would work and letting me know what I'd need to do

Interview Questions

• How would you get rotation speed data on a gear shaft?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Filled the online application, then I was asked for an telephone interview.

During the phone interview the interviewer makes no effort to sound human or interested in what you are actually saying, the interviewer just reads from a predefined script from the beginning to the end, and expects you to answer the questions according to the S.T.A.R. model, which seems that is the only thing that these "corporate screeners" are trained to do during these telephone interview, aside from write down everything you say.

I would recommend any applicant to clearly state what part of the STAR model are you talking about so that the recruiter have an easy job in filling those 4 little boxes. Speak slowly so they do not make typing mistakes.
    Another suggestion: get a book with all possible questions and answer and just read them when asked (you can ask for some time to think about it, so you have time to search the answer in the book, or online), why did I even bother to prepare real examples? What matters is to reach the assessment center and get a feeling if the people in the department where you will work are human enough for you to be happy to work together.

Manufacturing Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I went through a panel interview. They introduced themselves and told me their background. We went over my resume and then started with the behavioral questions. I asked 5-7 questions to the panel afterward.

I would definitely not go into this interview without doing research first. I sent time looking up the STAR method since it was my first behavior interview and a few hours going over possible questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how people you work with have gained trust and respect for you.   Answer Question

Human Resources/IR Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First apply online with resume and cover letter, then I received an email that invite me for a phone interview. The phone interview lasts one hour, there are two interviewers on the phone, and most questions are behavioral questions and situational questions. They didn't ask questions about my resume. Use STAR (situation, target, action, result) method to answer questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the hardest technic project you ever did, and what's the result?   Answer Question