Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct, 2014
Updated 15 Oct, 2014

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar.

First spoke with Caterpillar at the Internship Fair at my school. Applied online for the position and was contacted about an on-campus interview that week. The process consisted of two 30 minute interviews. All of the questions were behavioral and they expect that you follow the S.T.A.R. approach.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say has been your biggest challenge so far?   Answer Question

IT Analyst I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in October 2014.

I applied through college and the companies website. The process took approximately 4 weeks. My first behavioral interview was in campus, which was followed by second interview in Peoria. The company flies you to Peoria, IL and provides you with nice accommodation. The interview is behavioral interview and you will be interviewed by 3 hiring managers. If you prepare and remember the STAR method then you are good : )

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to review several proposals and make a recommendation. What factors did you consider in your analysis?   Answer Question
    The first offer was very competitive and I did not need to negotiate

Intern Interview

The process that was done in this situation was attending a career fair, then after dropping off a resume I had online application process to go through, then next step is a formal interview with the company representatives. The online process is a little lengthy, but is not to bad.

Interview Questions
    • Name Multiple reasons why you choose to talk with Caterpillar.   Answer Question

Staff Accountant I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

There was a 3 step process. Phone Interview. Second Phone Interview. Third there was a series of in person interviews. The in person interview was with three different managers and lasted about 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Not Difficult questions. They were all situational questions   Answer Question
    Yes I was able to negotiate. Tell them you want higher than what your current job is paying you. If they really want you they will pay it.

Electrical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Talked to the recruiter at a career fair at my university. I had seen the recruiter before at various events and tech talks. I submitted my resume online and within two weeks I was invited to an interview. The interview was done on my campus. There were 2 one-on-one back to back interviews, each about 20 minutes. Each interviewer asked a similar set of behavioral interview questions. A week later I received a job offer by email.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to work with a group, and a group member was not pulling their weight.   Answer Question

Revenue Analyst Interview

3 interviewers. They used targeted selection interview questions. Will ask questions along the lines of how you managed a certain situation in the past, what was the outcome, how do you cope with stress, etc.
    Each interview could take about 45 mins to 1 hr.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to manage a difficult person   Answer Question

Internship Interview

interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2014.

Interview took place shortly after school career fair. Offer was given the next day. No need to dress super professional, just need stuff in your head. Questions were mostly behavioral. I could tell from their questions they wanted leaders, people who are motivated.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you worked above and below par. And why did this happen?   Answer Question

Systems Analyst II Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Caterpillar.

I applied through online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Caterpillar in July 2014.

There were 3 different interviews: All the rounds happened in same day but interview duration time took almost 4 hours.
    - Usual resume interview followed by technical interview.
    - STAR interviews-Behavioral interview and Project technical discussion (Describe me a time where
      you failed, where you had trouble with a team member,where you were wrong and project
      deliveries) duration of this round consisting of 2 hours.
    - Managerial interview with US managers and followed by HR discussion
      Overall experience was good and entire interview process and approval of offer completed within a
      week..

Demand Analyst Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Behavioral based questions. Looking for STARs - Situation/Task, Actions you took and the Results of your actions. Usually group interviews where you'll have 2-3 people interviewing you at one time.

Interview Questions
    • None are really difficult, esp if you are good about talking and bragging about yourself. Unfortunately I'm not.   Answer Question
    Definately negotiate

Product Development Interview

One on-campus interview. About a 2 month period following the interview before notified about decision. There were two 30 minute interview sessions where you sat down one on one with a member of the Caterpillar team. The interviewers were nice. It was very structured.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you failed and how did you overcome it   Answer Question