Cargill Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2014

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online - interviewed at Cargill in February 2014.

email questions, then 45 minute phone interview, followed by a 2 hour 6 person panel interview. Applied in November, didn't hear until january, then the 3 rounds of interviews took around a month to complete.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

The process took a day - interviewed at Cargill in September 2011.

I was e-mailed by Cargill and I had to fill out a questionaire online. It was about 45 minutes long. The questions were mostly about managing people and teamwork. Things like what makes the best team? How often should people get praised? It was all multiple choice.

I recieved a second e-mail requesting a phone screening. It was more like a phone interview. The woman said she would call at 9:00am my time, but she called an hour early. She asked me questions about my last job.

Interview Questions
    • What are your career aspirations?
      What would you find challenging about this position?
        Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you solved a problem.
      Are you willing to relocate? (she asked a lot about where I would be willing to move)
        Answer Question
    • If I talked to your last manager what would he/she say your strengths were? Weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • What do you think you would bring to this position?
      Are you legally aloud to work in Canada?
        Answer Question
    • What is your background in agriculture? Did you grow up on a farm?
      What are your salary expectations?
        View Answer

Accounting Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winnipeg, MB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cargill in December 2008.

It was a somewhat long process, 3 interviews in total, and a background check.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you solved a difficult situation, etc. Behavioural based questions.   Answer Question

Retail Account Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cargill in August 2014.

Completed three phone interviews over the course of four weeks. The first two were very positive experiences. However, I could tell that the third interviewer had his mind made up to begin with. I'm not sure what documents were provided to him, but he asked about me living in Huntsville, Alabama. I've never even been to Huntsville, so I immediately had a bad feeling from there. The coordination process through the recruiters was a little tedious, but organized. The recruiters were wonderful about working with my schedule, as I was out of the country when they attempted to schedule my second interview. Also, I did not want to be disrespectful or neglect my current employer, so they allowed me to schedule the interviews at times that were appropriate.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me one thing you have learned in the past year and how you have applied that."   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cargill.

Recruiters on campus and interviews also conducted on campus. Less than a week process for the interview portion and heard offer information in less than 2 weeks. Very willing to answer questions and offer plenty of opportunities to learn more about the company before applying.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult teammate and how you overcame that.   View Answer
    No option to negotiate

Accounting Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cargill in May 2013.

I applied online but had a friend who had worked there recommended me to the immediate hiring manager. The interview questions were fairly easy. They focused a lot on behavior questions: what if, tell me a time when. Team work seemed to be a big factor. Be ready to answer your personal achievements as well.
     They did not specify the time they needed me to start working so I told them I could start on September when I got back to school (the interview took place in May). They did call me back but by that time I got another internship and declined the offer.

Another job offer

Commodity Merchant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cargill.

Received an initial phone interview that lasted 45 minutes, general questions regarding prior work experience, some scenarios, and questions about personality. Had an on site interview that lasted almost 2 hours with 4 different people. Same general questions as phone interview plus questions that the interviewers were given to ask - like a script. Followed up the on site interview with a 4 hour job shadow.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me your most difficult work situation, the negative criticism you received, and how you reacted.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Cargill.

You are recruited. It definately pays to know someone in Recruitment and/or a Hiring Manager. This a private company and if you don't know anyone work on getting an internship or get on linkedin see what you may have in common with somene professionaly like creditianals or organization wise.

It was an internship.

Commodity Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Cargill.

Talent management group were not official employees of Cargill, which seemed rather odd to have contract employees doing this function but nevertheless interviews eventually brought direct communication with real employees. Questions focused a lot on cultural fit, especially team compatibility, and then separately individual strengths. They clearly focused also on prior salary levels and had some rather strict rules to keep job offers within a tight range around the prior salaries.

Interview Questions
    • Asking how I would deal with managers who were quite hands-on to the point of micromanagement of the responsibilities in the job I was applying for.   View Answer
    there was nearly zero negotiation possible.

Electrician Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Cargill.

Got a call to interview. Went in and spoke to the electrical supervisor and head of maintenance. Was asked some basic electrical questions and my troubleshooting experiences. Head of maintenance hand drew a schematic and asked questions about it.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!