Cargill Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct, 2014
Updated 16 Oct, 2014

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online – interviewed at Cargill in February 2014.

email questions, then 45 minute phone interview, followed by a 2 hour 6 person panel interview. Applied in November, didn't hear until january, then the 3 rounds of interviews took around a month to complete.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cargill in September 2011.

I was e-mailed by Cargill and I had to fill out a questionaire online. It was about 45 minutes long. The questions were mostly about managing people and teamwork. Things like what makes the best team? How often should people get praised? It was all multiple choice.

I recieved a second e-mail requesting a phone screening. It was more like a phone interview. The woman said she would call at 9:00am my time, but she called an hour early. She asked me questions about my last job.

Interview Questions
    • What are your career aspirations?
      What would you find challenging about this position?
        Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you solved a problem.
      Are you willing to relocate? (she asked a lot about where I would be willing to move)
        Answer Question
    • If I talked to your last manager what would he/she say your strengths were? Weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • What do you think you would bring to this position?
      Are you legally aloud to work in Canada?
        Answer Question
    • What is your background in agriculture? Did you grow up on a farm?
      What are your salary expectations?
        View Answer

Accounting Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cargill in December 2008.

It was a somewhat long process, 3 interviews in total, and a background check.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you solved a difficult situation, etc. Behavioural based questions.   Answer Question

Year Long Placement Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cargill.

Applied through website and heard back within two weeks. I was asked to attend a face to face interview at University of Manchester, and it's a 2-1 interview, all competency questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why Chemical engineering?
      Tell me about a time that you are fleXible.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cargill.

Applied online through university career website, contacted me within a week and set up an interview on campus. The interview was set up as panel but it resulted in one person talking while the other two employees sat there and looked at me. It was uncomfortable to say the least.

Communications Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cargill.

I applied for the position at a jobs and internships fair where I met my hiring manager. I was called in for an in-person interview within a week. A month later, I heard from them again, and was asked to provide a writing and editorial sample.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lititz, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lititz, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cargill in October 2014.

Initial phone interview had situational questions from home office (probably third party). Contacted initially via email to set up phone interview, and personnel were very thorough, polite, knowledgeable and excellent at following up appropriately. A coordinator then set up an onsite interview supplying via email the personnel names I would be interviewing with along with information about the company, company benefits, the job description, directions to the location, contact information and to expect a behavioral interview. In addition, there was information on what to expect "post interview."

The company office is in a lovely location and very quiet. The employees appeared to be pleasant and quiet. They asked some of the questions from their Cargill template. I interviewed with the accounting department first then with HR. The two interviews were very different. Unfortunately, the job did not have a strong, cohesive job description-- 50% ad hoc doing whatever is given to you by whatever department, 20% with accounting, 10% doing work for the president (who you did not meet nor interview or report to), and the remainder being receptionist duties and other items.

I can tell you the work environment, the people, and the company are steadfast and positive. I have nothing but the utmost respect for this company and am only disappointed by the fact that given how large they are that I do not hear more about all the positive things they do in the (local or national) news! I really believe they empower and motivate employees.

At the end of the interview, they did offer their business card if I had any questions. I did have one question and followed up -- they never responded. That was disheartening because my experience had all been positive up to that point. However, they definitely get points for sticking to their timeline and what they say they were going to do. They told me the next steps, and they would contact everyone by a specified date to let them know the outcomes of the interviews. They stuck to their word! That is refreshing in today's world to be notified in a timely manner as to whether you have a job offer or denial.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were typical. How did you handle a difficult situation? Give an instant when you made a mistake. Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Technical Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cargill.

Online application form, followed by a 30 minute phone interview asking general questions like: 1. what do you know about the company and the job applied for? 2. Situations in which you worked as a team, how did you deal with difficult team members? 3. a challenging situation, and what you learnt from it?

Interview Questions
    • how did you counter the problem of dealing with the difficult team member? Found it difficult to answer mainly because of the ambiguous nature of the question and the answer would be a matter of perspective   Answer Question

Archive Processor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cargill.

I first talked with someone from the HR department. She was very friendly and didn't have many questions, just conducted an initial screening to make sure I was a mostly normal person. For the in-person interview, I met with two staff members. They spent time showing me around, explaining lots about the company. The interview itself was a more casual conversation than tough questioning. Overall, very nice and accommodating people.

Data Entry Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cargill in September 2014.

I was contacted about 2 weeks after the online application. A face to face interview was set for a week later. My interview went really well and I received a call about an hour later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty simple behavioral questions. It was actually quite conversational and enjoyable. No really difficult of unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't realize the position was entry level, so the offer was much lower than I expected. They agreed to up the offer slightly, but negotiating is very limited and based on your desirability.