CarMax

Average Difficulty
349 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Orlando, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

Interview Details I filled out the application online and a week or so later they called me to schedule phone interview. I felt that the phone interview went very well (mostly behavioral questions) because they immediately wanted to schedule an in person interview a few days later. When I arrived I was instructed to fill out info on a computer for background checks and answer a few screening questions (criminal history, employment history, etc). After that I waited for the managers interviewing me.

Once they were ready we introduced ourselves and went into an office for the interview. I was surprised at how young they both were and the lead interviewer was one of those people who's so completely dedicated to the company that it's a bit frightening. Anyways they ask more behavioral questions and overall I felt that I answered them just as well as I had on the previous interview. When we were done they said they had to step out for a minute and would be back. They returned a few minutes later to say that they had a more interviews taking place throughout the week but that I should expect to hear from the recruiter after that. The next morning I received an e-mail stating that I didn't get the job.

I really can't figure out where I went wrong. I have many years of customer service experience, offered firm handshakes, dressed professionally, was friendly to everyone in the store while I was waiting, basically everything that you're supposed to do. Clearly they couldn't have had the time to interview more people between my interview and the email. I really wish I knew the reason.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when had to make a quick decision?"   Answer Question

Business Office Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in April 2011.

Interview Details 3 interviews. asked a lot of name a time when questions. Also had to take a filing test. interviewed by Managers and HR Manager. Applied online
  the Associate recommended me. was offer position by last interview. Starting pay. take test to increase pay. Also had to take a filing test. drug test. etc

Interview Question – None of the questions are hard   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Job was offered. Starting pay

Inventory Associate Interview

Inventory Associate

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details Interview was pretty easy not much happened just asked a lot of questions and then had to take a test on the computer. Which took bout 30 min you have at least three interviews if they really like you or think you are a good fit for the job. Overall it was a fun experience just didn't like the sitting around waiting on the next person which is the part that took the longest I was there for about two hours.

Interview Question – There wasn't any off the wall questions   Answer Question

Campus Recruieter Interview

Campus Recruieter
Kennesaw, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details The interview process was a bit intense. I had a total of 4 face to face interviews. 3 of which I had in 1 day and I was there from about 9-4. There were a lot of times I wasn't too sure what was next. A lot of paperwork, and tests to make sure you are the "RIGHT FIT". For the most part, everyone was nice and professional. The only one I didn't like was the final one with the HR Manager.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard "Tell me about a time when". The use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Porter Interview

Porter
Duarte, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details All three interviews were conducted in one whole day. Process took about three hours. There was a computerized characteristic test that was required before the interviews. All employees and interviewers were nice and to the point. Was hired on the spot. Returned a few days later to receive my uniform and proxy / lock box key.

Interview Question – There were no real unexpected questions at the interview. Very basic questions. I would advise over dressing for the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I never had the impression I had an option to negotiate. Manager informed me that all employees for that position start with a basic pay of $10 per hour.

Buyer In Training Interview

Buyer In Training
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Question – Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   View Answer

Attorney (In-house) Interview

Attorney (In-house)
Kennesaw, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in July 2014.

Interview Details The application online took about 45 minutes with an unnecessary amount of behavioral questions that were annoying and repetitive. I received a phone call from an in-house recruiter a few days later. I had a phone interview for about 30 minutes with behavioral questions that were at this time relevant. Questions focused on past work experiences...i.e. Tell me about a time that you had difficulty meeting a deadline, etc. About a week after the phone interview I was called by someone else to come in for interview at the main office in Kennesaw. I went in for an interview where I answered some more ridiculous questions via computer and signed off on background check for criminal, credit, education, employment AND social security. Further, I was drug tested on the spot at their facility on same day of interview. I interviewed with 4 people and took about 4 hours. I had extensive background checks before but this is ridiculous and over burdensome for the interview process. It should be done after an offer is made.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions Tell me about a time when....How would your supervisor describe you...Tell me about the most difficult decision you had to make...Tell me about a time you were successful in a project and state what the process and results were   Answer Question

Greenville, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in October 2013.

Interview Details I went through about 5 interview processes. The first one was at the store and done online. The second one was with the hr lady. The third one was with the manager of my specific department. The fourth one was with another manager of a completely different department. Finally, the last interview was with another supervisor in the same exact department that I would be working in. I would say all interviews were intense because they were not scripted and was mostly about the person being interviewed. If you go in interested and with lots of questions (I do mean alot, stupid or not) you have a great chance of moving on. They are looking for a family oriented, friendly, happy, focused and competitive type of individual and they really love hearing what you have to say. So, the more you talk, the more they listen, the bigger the chance there is for you being selected.

Interview Question – Why would you be a good fit here at Carmax?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/a

Very Difficult Interview

Human Resources Manager Interview

Human Resources Manager
Richmond, VA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details Very long and tedious process. Went several weeks after first interview to get contacted for second. Interviewed with multiple leaders including the head of HR. Acted a little pompous. All behavior based questions. They did not want to hear anything about strategy. Just tactics. If you don't give them the exact answer they're looking for, you're done.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you created a policy that backfired on you.   Answer Question

Business Manager In Training Interview

Business Manager In Training
Bakersfield, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details Applied through Linkedin and reached out to a recruiter directly. They have very personable and professional recruiters who are very transparent, however don't always have the all the details about the position. I was scheduled for a phone interview that went well and was very conversational, lots of situation, behavior, and outcome questions. After that I was scheduled to meet with the store management team here locally. I was told to be prepared to spend 3-4 hours here, which I felt was ridiculous, but I wanted the position. I began with a review of my application online and verifying specifics, dates, etc. The thing that I felt was unprofessional was that they specifically ask if you if you have any employment within the past 7 years that you did not list on your application, with a threat that they will pull SSA records to verify. Why? This doesn't seem necessary, especially for a company that does not have an onsight HR team. Anyways, I l forgot to disclose two that were brief temp work/contract jobs that were not relevant to the position and were during my college years. I then had my first interview which was with a service operations support manager who had no clue what he was doing. He was not professional and was never trained how to interview. He drilled me on the specifics of my previous jobs that I did not disclose. I felt like I was interviewing for a government position. After the third degree I was interviewed by the GM. She was very nice, however had no previous retail management experience other than Carmax. I thought this was odd, but apparently she moved up through the ranks and proved herself, so good for her. After the interview I was then asked to take another online test measuring my business acumen and ability to think critically ( math and reasoning skills). This took about an hour, in which I also took a drug test. A week later I was called by the GM and asked if I would be willing to train out of the state, when I had previously been told by the recruiter that this would be local training. I asked where out of state and for how long and was given several answers, but basically anywhere on the west coast or midwest and for months. Having a family and a social life I could not be away for weeks at a time, especially for the salary that was going to be offered. I declined the offer and that was the end of the conversations. I later found out that the person who did get the local position is training in Virginia and he lives here in California.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when...... difficult guest, disagreement with a coworker, innovated or came up with a creative idea, etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – No flexibility in training location and training was too extensive ( 10 months). Bonus and company car did not go into effect until after training and was required to be relocatable ultimately anywhere. Salary not as competitive as current employer or other retailers. They need to be more upfront during the initial job posting or interview process and need a true HR team with their enormous growth.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!