CarMax

339 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Buyer Assistant Interview

Buyer Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

Interview Details It seemed to take forever. I showed up 10 minutes early and they sat me down at a CBT and I answered about a dozen questions online. They said someone would be in, so I waited about 15 minutes then decided to let someone know I was finished. Another 15 minutes passed and I got up and asked someone who appeared to be more in charge. Finally someone came in and had a print out of the questions I had answered online and verified what I said was true and I had to sign it. Away he went and I waited another 10 minutes. Another interviewer came in for about 5 "have you ever been in a situation" questions. After this, I waited for another 10 minutes and the Senior Buyer came in and asked 10 more "Describe a situtuation where..." questions. Following this, the interview was done and they said they would let me know within a week.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to make a difficult decision.... all questions were like this.   View Answer

Management Assistant Interview

Management Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and was called the next day to set up a phone interview. Interviewed via phone with the manager, and was asked to set up an in person interview.

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral. "What would your previous manager tell me are you strengths and weakness?" "What would you do if you had several tasks to complete in a short amount of time?" "Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team to complete a goal." "Tell me about what attracted you to CarMax."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not ask about salary (I do so at in personal interview after offer made).

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details I Had 3 different interview with 3 different department managers each of those went well. They asked typical questions some are so redundant or the previous interviewer already asked. They seemed very scripted with the questions and they have to read everything verbatim.

Reason for Declining – The pay was not enough.

Roseville, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details Had a phone interview first and then was invited in to the store. Interviewed by 4 people the same day all managers. Very thorough. Asked many questions about past work experience. Whole interview took about 3.5 hours. Was asked to do a drug test and offered a position on the spot.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you were faced with a difficult time constraint and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Charleston, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details I originally applied for a Buyer's Assistant position. I had phone interview with a manager who asked me to come in for a face to face interview the next day. Once you arrive, you sit in a room by yourself and answer questions on a computer such as, "have you ever murdered someone." (If you've murdered someone, I hope you're in prison and not interviewing for a job at Carmax). I interviewed with the same manager from the phone interview for about an hour and then he brought in his manager. All in all, I was there for about 2 hours that day. The next day, I got a call back and they said I was basically overqualified and they wanted me to come back in for another interview for the Business Office Associate position. I figured, better position, better pay. Wrong. I was shocked that they offered me $10/hr after my FOURTH interview. I took the drug test and tentatively accepted the position. Once I got home, I realized that $10 isn't even worth me getting out of bed in the morning so I called back and declined. $10/hr is not acceptable to offer someone with a bachelor's degree as far as I'm concerned. On the plus side, everyone I met at Carmax was very nice and I really think it would have been a fun place to work otherwise.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions. Tell me about a time when...   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pay was not appropriate for my education and background

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details Basic management consulting style interview, only at the far lighter end of the spectrum. A basic resume screening was conducted (likely only collected from certain universities), a phone interview took place involving simple behavioral questions and a fairly easy business problem, and then an in-office interview was scheduled. The final round interview I found to be moderately challenging from a case perspective, but quite relaxed in the "fit" portion. This spoke volumes about KMX's interest in getting the right people for their corporate culture, not just those who can do the work.

Interview Question – Combined quantitative/qualitative assessment of growth, development, and acquisition strategies. The case in question combined all the usual data analysis, synthesis, and chart interpretation with an intriguing spatial component. Be on your toes and expect something other than what you'll see stock from Case In Point. Still not nearly as hard as even the first round of BCG/Bain/McKinsey cases.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details 3 interviews over 4 hours. Very friendly and comfortable interviews.Interviewers were able to discuss their personal experience with Carmax.The first interviewer also discussed other positions that I might be interested in that I hadn't considered.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty basic and expected for example on question was - can you remember a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Compensation was low.

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant
Norcross, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in November 2011.

Interview Details You wait for 2hours to be seen. They ask you the same dumb interview queations that all jobs do. They are hiring all the time becuase the job demands alot for commision only.

Reason for Declining – Glass door was right and i talked to a rep that works there.

Manager Interview

Manager
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in June 2012.

Interview Details phone interview, in-person, 2nd in-person with management, hire. questions, security questions, drug-screen, back ground check, tour of store. ss security, dl, benefits package. can be drug out or short 3hrs or 8hrs. be prepared to sit & wait if they like you. do not be alarmed if you don't get an answer right away

Interview Question – Name a difficult time that you had to help a co-worker   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – initial offer was good until you saw the environment.

Buyer In Training Interview

Buyer In Training
Buena Park, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Interview Details Initially got an email questionnaire, followed by a phone interview with a CarMax recruited that lasted 20-30 minutes. A few days later I was contacted to come in for an interview, which was grueling. I showed up at 10am, filled out some information about myself on their computer systems, later interviewed with two buyers in the department, after I took a test on the computer which wasn't very difficult, just tests your analytical and problem solving skills. This was followed by 3 more sets of interviews. All questions in each of the 4 interviews were the same, but re worded. The repetitive questions became draining towards the end and by the very last interview I was a mental mess, considering I hadn't eaten and had been waiting around most of the day since 10 am, and I didn't finish interviewing until 6pm!! Overall the company culture seemed good, employees seem very happy and get along well, based on my 6 hour observation...

Interview Question – Name a time you disagreed with a manager/coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!