CarMax

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated 28 Jan, 2015
Updated 28 Jan, 2015

Inventory Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

I must warn you, this is a very long interview! The longest I've ever been on! It was a positive experience, but I was not thinking that it would take that long.

I put in an application and sent my resume for the Inventory position. I got a call less than a week later asking if I would like to interview. The person that called was very pleasant. We set up a time for the next day.

I came in and was asked to fill out an additional application on a computer, with my job history for the past seven years, my driver's history for the past seven years, if I lost any jobs, if I quit any jobs, if I was eligible for rehire, every address I've lived at for the past seven years, etc. Very thorough. The application warned that I should not lie on any question as a thorough background check will be done on me.

After, I sat in the lobby and waited on a manager to see me. We went into an office and it was basically chit-chat. He asked me about myself, how I heard about the position, touched on my job history and he told me about himself.

I think the most important question was the "tell me about yourself" question he asked. He told me to wait in the lobby again.

Another manager introduced himself to me. He we went in the same office and he asked what I knew about the company. I am always well prepared for interviews but because of the moving and whatnots, I totally forgot to research the company! I played it cool; I told him the same thing the previous supervisor told me and added that I could tell they were very customer orientation because they even thought to have a day care! I also said something about the awards they've won(was posted above the lobby) and about all of the positive customer ratings.

My answer somehow satisfied him. He then asked basic behavioral questions from a script and wrote down my answers. Nothing hard. He thanked me and told me to wait for a follow up interview with the manager of the carmax.

The manager was very nice. We found common ground about our previous job histories and our hobbies. We chatted and then he said we'd better get to the questions. Wow, his questions were hard!

The part that was the hardest was that each behavioral question were made up of about four individual questions. I had to tell a story that answered all four questions. I managed to answer them all. He told me about the benefits Then he told me to sit in the lobby.

I waited the longest at this point. The second manager that interviewed me asked me to come into another office. He apologized for the wait and said he and the other managers thought I was a great fit for their company and would like to offer me a job. I accepted. He then told me the pay. If I didn't need a job, I would have declined. I was told that I could switch positions after six months and after my six month period, I should be getting a dollar more.

After that, I took a drug test at carmax and chatted a bit more about the job and how many people were getting hired.

The whole overview took more then two hours. Based on the previous interview reviews, it's safe to say that they hire on the spot and if you don't get the fourth interview on the same day(when they offer the job), you're probably aren't getting hired.

It was a very positive experience. I had fun at the interview and everyone I encountered was pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you showed leadership? How did your co workers respond? How did your supervisor handle your decision? How did your decision help your job? (All one question)   Answer Question
    • What are you hobbies?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Carmax.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Was told of raises. :(

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

It began with me applying via glassdoor. I received a phone call within 2 days from a manager and we did a very basic phone interview. At the end of the conversation I was asked to come in for a interview in 3 days time. I went to the front desk and they alerted the HR and I waited about 10-15 minutes in the waiting room. I expected it to be a very snuffy one on one interview. Not at all. I was interviewed by a panel essentially. Two managers at a time, each manager in a different section. Come to learn that even if you are applying for one job, you'll be considered for another if you seem to be a better fit. It was very low pressure. The questions they asked were mostly personality type questions and scenarios. What would you do if? How would you..? Being new to sales it was a bit fun. After all the interviews they do a roleplay scenario of you presenting a vehicle to an interested customer. This is all for personality placement.

Interview Questions
    • For me, relating my past job to sales and customer service. They are two ends of a spectrum.   View Answer
    There were no negotiations. They showed me the entire pay scale, plan, and how to reach the next level of pay.

Business Office Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

Filled out very detailed application online listing basic info as well as previous employers in last 7 years. Intensive interview process with phone interview, online assessments, multiple interviews with different managers, and an intensive background screening process where you answer questions about your criminal history, drug use, etc. Expect the interview process to take a few hours.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision within a short period of time.   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

First you start off with a phone interview and a couple days later I was called to do an in person interview. At that point I met with two Managers as they interviewed me at the same time. I did not get the job due to my poor qualifications for it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation when you had a issue with difficult customer and how? what you did about it?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Be positive throughout the interview and look at your mistakes as opportunities to learn. Every aspect of the interview, even if you are just waiting is probably being observed. Just stay positive and patient.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you used teamwork to help in a situation.   Answer Question
    There is none. It is comission.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

The hiring process in terms of sales consultants is the same for every location. The first step is the online job application located at carmax.com, you will answer basic application questions but you will have to do a lengthy questionnaire. The questionnaire lasts about 45 minutes and it is crucial you take it seriously(they will look at it). It makes sure you have good work ethic and is very repetitive. Next you will get a phone call most likely within 48 hours for a phone interview. The interview lasts about 20 minutes and the manager will ask you things like previous work experience and what makes you qualified for the job. The manager is just trying to get a feel for you and trying to figure out if you would be a good sales person. If you did well you will be asked for an in store interview, most likely the following day. Once you get there you will sign some quick paper work and be directed to a computer. On the computer you will take another shorter questionnaire. Usually takes 5-10 minutes. It asks questions about any criminal background. Once completed you will have a formal interview with TWO managers. The first question they will ask is if you lied about anything on your application or resume. Tell the truth. They run more background checks than a government job. The rest of the interview questions are very basic and is mostly tell me a time when you did.. Such and such. All questions are related to sales in some way, ex) How did you persuade a customer to buy a product? Just relax, talk for as long as you can and be confident with yourself(the same confidence a successful sales person has). If you do well they will make you do a mock sales pitch for one of three cars, a toyota Camry, F-150, or a Tahoe. The most important thing about this is to be personal with the "customer" and get to know everything about them before giving a sales pitch for the car. Eventually, if that goes good you will be asked to see the location general manager. If you don't get asked to see the general manager you did not get the job. If you do get asked to see him then you already got the job. He will ask a few more questions then tell you about the job. Then he'll offer you the job and tell you about the pay. All In all it was a very lengthy interview, 3 hours, but it was not difficult. They will ask a lot of questions but they are there because they want to hire you. Just don't give them any reason not to hire you and you will be fine. My biggest advice is to make a connection with the managers don't just answer questions. Strike conversation with them and they actually want you to ask personal questions about them. It shows you can be a good salesman. Good luck to all who has an interview in the near future!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - 12$/hr during 6 week training. 160$ per car you sell afterwards. Lots of other ways to make money too, such as selling warranty package and monthly bonuses.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

The screening process is fairly tedious, and between the assessment test (which had about 18 questions to do, but is timed fairly quickly) and the personality test (which is untimed and has 300 questions) I would allot 2-3 hours. You have the opportunity to practice the tests, which is fortunate between it's always unwise to show up cold for any kind of standardized test.

Interview Questions
    • Just the 300 personality questions. I was surprised it required so much at an early interview stage and seems to undervalue potential employees' time.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

Application experience was similar to other postings except when I was initially contacted, there was no phone interview, so there was no opportunity for me or CarMax to determine if there was a good fit. I was invited to an in-person interview. The first question asked of me was to provide my social security number. I found that to be extraordinary in this day and age of hacking into company's databases and identity theft to provide a private detail like that before we had even decided if it was worth moving forward in the process. I inquired as to what happens with my data if there's no job offer, and the HR person wasn't sure. I then filled out a questionnaire about whether I've raped or murdered anyone, done drugs, stolen items from an employer, etc., etc. I found these questions to set an extremely negative tone and created a feeling of "we know we're hiring scumbags; we just need to know how big a scumbag you are." The next step was to sign authorizations and waivers that provided broad sweeping powers to CarMax, e.g. an authorization to pull my credit report (now and at any time in the future as decided by CarMax!). I understand CarMax's need for this information, but feel strongly it should come later in the process. While I waited for my next step, I observed an interview at an adjacent desk. The interviewer read scripted questions and did not seem to pay any attention to the answers provided by the candidate; he appeared to be scanning his paper to choose the next scripted question he would ask. I excused myself from moving forward in the process at this point. I got the impression that CarMax views the interviewing process as a one-way determination - solely whether they like you rather than whether you will enjoy working for them.

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

I applied for the position, got a call from hr within a week to setup a phone interview. Had my phone interview. Got a call back about a week or so to set up an in person interview. Arrived at my in person interview where I met with the Hr lady I spoke with over the phone. She immediately set me up on the computer to go over questions like "are you a criminal" in diff ways as well as past employment questions. After you pass that you fill out paperwork. The paperwork is for background checks. I then had a manager from the buyer side come talk to me and ask me generated questions that came from my computer questions. Then the asst manager and lead business office associate came in and tagged teamed me. Finally the manager over the business office came in and interviewed me.I was offered the job on the spot

Interview Questions
    Not really negotiable, standard pay for everyone then an increase after training

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in December 2014.

The hiring process took about two weeks. I had a phone interview and then was later contact for a second interview. The interview took about two hours. They asked me questions about my previous experience and if I had any sales experience. It was a very calm nice setting. I had to roleplay for them and sell them a Toyota Camry which was fun. I didnt know much about sales, I did ALOT of reseach and studying before i went for the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever went above and beyond for a customer?   View Answer
    The hiring manager said he had two questions. The second question would depend on the first. He asked me what i expect in the next 5 years I answered then he said ok well I dont usually ask the second question but I want to ask you...when can you start?! Just have super confidence and be PREPARED!