Cambridge Associates, LLC

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated 23 Nov, 2014
Updated 23 Nov, 2014

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

I applied online and was contacted within a few days by the hiring manager who requested to schedule a phone interview with me that week. The phone interview was approximately 15 minutes long, most questions were conventional where he asked me to talk about myself and my experiences. At the end of the phone call I was asked to come into the office for multiple second round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important factor regarding customer service?   Answer Question
    • What do you think you need to improve most in an office environment?   Answer Question

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

After applying online, the HR arranged for a quick phone interview, and I was invited for the second interview lasting for around 3 hours. The phone interview was just to go through the resume and asked some questions regarding expected pay, why Cambridge, etc. The second interview was more comprehensive, and involved a case study, and interviews with 3 other individuals. The case study requires you to ask questions on how to execute a certain change in a client's portfolio and to reflect them in a flash report. Subsequently, you would be asked to present the flash report to the manager, and you would be evaluated on your logic and organizational skills. The other two interviewers would be going through the usual interview questions such as strengths and weaknesses, what do you think the job entails, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I would think the most difficult part would be the case study. Be sure to read up on what does the role require you to do, and the other roles of the other parties that you would be liaising with, such as the investment consultants and MSG. You would need to know how each parties work, in order to come up with the questions and the report plan.   Answer Question

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Sent in an online application and they got back in around 2 weeks. The HR lady arranged for a telephone interview first and after some selection, they will invite you to their office for 2 rounds of interviews. The first round is about 2 hours with 30 minutes as an introduction to the company and the role. After that, you will be seated in a room and a senior associate or manager will interview you for about 30 to 40 mins. Then there will be a round table discussion with 2 members of the team. They ask around the same questions. If you get selected, you will be invited for the second round of interviews. Questions are also quite repetitive.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you for the motivation behind applying for the job.   Answer Question

Junior Associate MIG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Pleasantly surprised by the quickness and professionalism of HR. Submitted application over the weekend, contacted over the phone the following week. After phone screen, immediately invited for open house interview a week from the phone call.

In-person interview consisted of 30-40 min presentation with other candidates and a Q&A, followed by three 30-min interviews. Two interviews with HR, and one with an Assistant Manager. All three interviews mostly consisted of behavior questions, along with a peppering of What/When/How from your resume.

The posts here on Glassdoor, especially ones that include questions, are ridiculously accurate. No questions were asked of me that were not covered by the reviews, so kudos to all of you contributing. Just to reiterate, I was asked about directly, or variations of, the following questions: greatest weakness, why I chose my school/major, preferred working style, how to deal with seemingly boring/mundane tasks, definition of great client/customer service, etc.

Lots of young professionals - I was surprised not to see anyone who looks over 30 in the building. Generally, interviewers were very calm, not intimidating, and almost friendly but not quite there. All were very detached both in their presence and their attention to what I was saying. The interviews were very clinical - there was more priority on jotting down what I was saying rather then directly engaging with my answers. Not critically important, but the interviewers appeared somewhat disheveled, as if they sprinted up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. I am not sure if this was random or speaks about the work-life balance; it did however make the group of candidates stand out sharply in comparison, but I am sure we felt more confident(we were all wearing suits).

From the questions that I asked the interviewers, I gathered that the guiding priority for filling this position is stability and continuity of the department- i.e. someone who will not try to jump ship for another department (back-office to front-office transitions = highly discouraged). This was brought up twice by different interviewers - take that as you will. The double whammy was that vertical growth is severely limited in this department - around to years before the end of the line. The icing on the cake is that this position offers little transferable hard skills - it is mostly data entry (from spreadsheets to database) into proprietary software (i.e. no one else uses it or cares about it), and making sure that it is correct.

Junior Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Advise pay attention and take notes during the presentation and memorize the mission statement. It will be asked in the interview. I would also suggest to take the morning interview time slot. If you take the afternoon one, you will begin the day with lunch. I feel that lunch is a best to finish the interview rather than beginning it.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Went in for a "superday" like they have at many different places in the financial world. Met with 6 or 7 people - most were very nice and asked arbitrary questions about my resume and background. I was asked to present my case interview and drilled with questions - some that I could answer and some that I was unable to. The point of this was to get me out of my comfort zone. Be prepared for this.

Interview Questions
    • Plenty of very specific questions regarding parts of my case study - some that I could not have known the answers to.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

I had a two part processes with an on-campus interview followed by a super interview consisting of 4 interviews. The entire process was quick and after my first interview the recruiter contacted me within 3 days. The interview on campus was mostly resume based questions and pretty typical as far as job interviews go. The super day was pretty long and had many more in-depth and behavior questions.

CA offers candidates traveling 100-500 miles up to $300 reimbursement and those travelling 500+ miles $600 reimbursement for the super interview day, so keep your receipts.

Interview Questions
    • What drives you most - fear of failure or love of success?   Answer Question

Junior Associate Manager Information Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

The process took about a week. It began with a phone interview about a month after they received my resume at a career fair. I was asked to come up to NOVA for the 1st round interviews. They 1st give you an hour presentation about the company which you should pay attention to. They also outline benefits such as discounted gym memberships, opportunities for further education, and examples of ways that people have moved up in the company. The interviews are 30 minutes each in round robin fashion and the questions were somewhat repetitive although not difficult. I heard back within a couple days, was invited back for the final round, and was told which of the 4 subgroups I would be interviewing for as well as the manager's name.

The interviews for the final round were round robin again. There were two of us, me and one other candidate who I recognized from the first round of interviews. You also have to draft an email, but its nothing difficult. They show you the computer system and how it works. At the end they give you a chance to talk more candidly with some of the people currently doing the job you are applying for. It would have been nice to have this opportunity at the beginning, but oh well.

The most frustrating aspect of the interview was the manager I was supposed to interview with wasn't there as he had to travel. We had a quick phone conversation but I never met face to face with the guy who (I take it) made the final hiring decision which I thought was indicative of how the company values associates in this position. It was also puzzling that they emphasized how great the position is if you want to learn about finance even if you are not a finance major, but then told me that my greatest weakness as a candidate was that I wanted to learn about finance... As my desire to learn rendered me incapable of following directions for something as simple as putting data into a computer line by line and sending more or less form emails to investment managers.

Otherwise it looked like a great place to work and although the pay is low (43,000 I think) the benefits were good and the atmosphere was very friendly and collegiate.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are mostly predictable, they ask you to rate yourself on a variety of factors. I felt that they focused more on asking about your weaknesses than about your strengths. Be prepared to answer this tactfully.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Applying though my school job portal and receive the interview opportunity couple of weeks later. interview with head/director, they're pretty nice people, very pleasant and professional. Return the outcome couple of weeks later

Associated Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

A series of phone interviews followed by an interview in Boston. Phone interviews were composed of very general questions (Why Cambridge Associates? Why are you interested in consulting? etc.). During the real interview I met with three different people. Each one asked a series of questions (about portfolio theory, my goals/aspirations). The business atmosphere was very professional. Seems like a very rewarding company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe the stock market to somebody who understood nothing about it?   Answer Question