Cambridge Associates, LLC

Cambridge Associates, LLC Associate Consultant Interview Questions

2.8

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Phone interview and superday with behavioral interview that included a case.

Interview Questions
  • How would you invest $20,000?
    What would you do if you were given 5 hours to do a 10 hour project?

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cambridge Associates, LLC

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Applied through a college interview consortium. Went to a hotel with a lot of other college students and was interviewed in a large conference room with many other interviews occurring for other companies, etc. Interview was mostly behavioral, and it seemed as if they were looking for someone to do menial tasks rather than anything that required critical abilities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

There were two interviews, the first is a basic 30 minute screen and then a second super-day interview which consisted of four 30 minute interviews. Overall the technical questions were relatively easy especially if you have a business/finance background.

One major critique, their HR recruiters for this role are pretty lost in the weeds and do not respond to emails or calls. They agreed to reimburse me $300 for travel expenses for the super day, it has been seven weeks and I still have not been paid back. I even Fedexed HR another copy of my expenses and they ignored it. Also, when I finally heard back from HR they told me that I was qualified and they would have made an offer but they had already extended all offers for the class and that they kept interviewing until all offers were extended. I am a bit annoyed that they wasted my time and especially because I did so much prep work all with no chance from the beginning. This is a company with a great reputation and I would have really liked to work there, however treating candidates in this way is unacceptable and unfair.

Interview Questions
    • Know about sharpe ratio, correlation and Standard Deviation. Also, there is a basic case study during the super day & a two minute presentation   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2013.

The first interview was a 1:1 that consisted of a fit section and quick graph analysis (if you can extract the important details from a graph you'll be fine). The second interview was held at the company site in Boston. There were 5 parts: two fit, two "cases" and a 1-on-1 lunch. The first fit was very standard -- you basically walk through your resume. The second part was just answering "why Cambridge Associates". The cases weren't your standard management consulting case; they were more tailored to the specific kind of work you would be doing as a CA.

Consulting Associate Interview

First had an on campus interview at my university and then an on site interview with the firm. Whole process took about 2.5 weeks from the first interview to hearing back after the second round. The on site interview consisted of 2 30 min and 2 45 min interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, had to talk through a few cases, but that was about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2013.

I applied and was given a first-round interview through on-campus recruiting. The interview was 1-on-1 and lasted for about half an hour, mostly behavorial-type questions about why I was interested in the job, as well as some questions about experiences on my resume. Towards the end of the interview, I was given a simple chart and asked to provide an recommendation to a fictional client based on data in the graph. Very straight-forward. I was offered a spot in a full day final interview in the company's Boston office, but I declined.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in being a Consulting Associate?   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

I applied via my University's career services. About a week later, CA reached out to me saying they'd like to interview me on Grounds. The first round interview is relatively short at 30 minutes and not very technical. They asked the typical behavioral questions such as why do you want to go into financial consulting, why CA specifically, and they asked a basic portfolio theory question at the end.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was why CA. The why financial consulting was easy bc it's a job between i-banking and strategy consulting and provides a good balance, but I'm not even aware of competing financial consulting firms.   View Answer

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

They will email you to get a time with you for a phone interview. During the phone interview, you will be asked to go through your resume. There will also be HR questions like the kind of jobs you look out for, the reason you chose the role and what do you know about Cambridge Associate. Interviewer from Cambridge Associates is friendly.

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Changping, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Changping, Beijing (China)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in January 2013.

Background:
    The position is for their newly opened Beijing office

I send my resume through email. Three weeks later, I recieved a phone call to set me up for a phone interivew and to inform me the approximate length of the interview (30 mins).

1st round : The call came on time. The interviewer begins with "tell me something about youself" and then perceed to the usual resume runthrough, and then ask a few behavior questions like: what are your strength? Later switch to general questions about the company just to see if you have done any research on the company and investment consulting industry in general. "what are Cambridge Associates' competitors?", "why do you want a career in investment consulting?"
    My general impression is that they want to see if you are serious enough about the a career in investment consulting. the entire process took about 17 mins. I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the 2nd round.

2nd round: the 2nd round consists of a written test and a case study ( not the case study you see for management consulting firms) More behavior questions but this time it goes really deep. you have 20 mins for the written test. I was given two topics. One is to write some afterthought on the recent finance related news I read, and the other one is to write the steps you will take to communicate with institutional clients. I took choice number one.
    The case study has lots of materials. One of the consultant walks me through the entire process. It was about how to pick stocks, managers for institutional clients. ( sharpe ratio, diversifcations, athrimatrical means, covarience, effiency porfolio frontier) There were many graphes to get you going, but i kept thinking afterward that it is almost impossible to keep saying the right answers if I did not major in Finance. Afterwards, I met the other two staff ( small operation) mostly they want to see if you are a good fit for the firm and if you want to stay in Investment Consulting for long. (behavior questions go deeper)

Again, I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the next round.

3rd round: By this stage, I guess the job has come down to only a few candidates (3 or 4) and I know that I have to distinguish myself, but I really don't know how. I know everyone on the shortlist must have the same problem. Anyhow, I prepare the best I could. The first half of the interiew was with someone I think would be the direct supervisor of this position. The qustions are like the ones I encountered on the 2nd interiew, but some easy questions related to Finance as well. The other half of the interview was with the director of the consulting group. Again, More behavior questions like round 2.

Overall, the interviewers were very pleasant and respectful. Most questions are aimed to discover whether your goals and interests are in line with the company's.

Interview Questions
    • why not going into investment management why investment consulting? why more spread money among more portfolio managers can achieve better diversification.   View Answer

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

1 phone interview with behavioral questions and onsite interview which consists of 5 small interviews. not typical case interview