Burns & McDonnell

Updated 28 Jan, 2015
Updated 28 Jan, 2015

2.6

Civil Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Met college recruiter at my school during a career fair and signed up for a walk-in informal interview. Recruiter was very knowledgable about the internship opportunities available and he took many notes about my interests. Followed up with a phone interview about 10 days later. Then had another phone interview with the engineers I would be potential working with. Then about two weeks later received a verbal and written offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were about my previous work experience, nothing very technical since it was an internship position I was seeking.   Answer Question

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2014.

Had a phone interview first with a recruiter and an on-site interview schedule a few days after. The on-site interview was one of the easiest I've ever had. You first give a presentation to a group of division managers and talk about yourself and your experiences. Then you sit down one on one with each manager for about 45 minutes each and further discuss how you could fit in to their respective division. Managers are very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    Little to no room for negotiation, at least for entry-level positions.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2014.

Attended Career Fair on campus. In the following two days I was sent an email about scheduling an on campus interview. The communication was completely via email. The interview took place three weeks later on campus.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2014.

Got first interview a couple weeks after job fair at my school. Interview took about 30 minutes and was with just one HR rep. She just asked mostly behavioral questions. What motivates me, why I chose Burns and Mac. A difficult situation I have had experience with and how it was handled. and just talked about other job experiences. Pretty relaxed interview as my interviewer was very friendly as she typed away and recorded all my answers. Overall, great experience.

Staff Structural Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Initially, the HR process was amazing, better than most that I've gone through. After the interview, I've not heard back from the company. I'm unsure if this was due to disconnected management, more qualified persons that they're waiting on, or general disorganization. One manager was in the main location in Kansas City, while the other two managers were in the local office. Hard to get a response from anyone regarding updates on position. The interviewing process was simple. Initial contact by HR, then phone interview with HR to determine quantification. After that, phone interview with hiring management and lastly, in house interview.

Interview Questions
    • General Structural Knowledge and overall personalty type questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2014.

The Hiring Manager called me for interview but I was in the class. I called him back and he asked me several questions about my education and previous internship. He mentioned that he is going to call for specifying the interview date but he didn't called. I tried to reach him but I couldn't.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2014.

I got a phone interview with the HR for about 20 minutes. They asked about past work experience and explaining about Burns & McDonnell. They also asked why I was interested in working for the company. They emailed back after one whole week and informed that I did not get a offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too special. Generic questions described above   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Good process. But needed to ask for an interview due to others offers. They accommodated and got me in.

No negotiations

Construction Intern Interview

Was referred to a college recruiter through a company contact, short pre-interview asking about college extracurriculars, grades, career aspirations, etc. Recruiter informed me about possible job placement, was contacted later by hiring manager for a full interview. Took an hour, went over quite a bit. Nothing too strenuous or really head-scratching, just a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best book you've read recently?   View Answer

Civil/Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by an all-expense paid for on-site interview. I was expected to have a 10 minute presentation ready for the on-site interview. After the on-site interview an offer was to be made approximately 1-2 weeks later.