Boys & Girls Clubs Interview Questions

Updated 14 Apr, 2015

2.5

Activity Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Vancouver, BC) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted a resume and cover letter online, called back in 2 days. Interview was long, a lot of situational questions, eg. "what would you do if.." It was the director and co director who interviewed me, both were very nice and approachable. Informal setting but still very difficult on the spot questions that caught me off guard, some were difficult because I didn't know their policies on certain issues (such as disciplining) nor could I find any info on them online...

Interview Questions

• What would you do if two children started to physically fight?   Answer Question
    • What king of activities would you plan for the following age groups, K-3, 4-7, 8-12   Answer Question

Manager, Programs and Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Ottawa, ON) in March 2010.

Interview

Very good process and warm staff. I never felt that it was unorganized. The only issue was that the position itself was undefined and the collective organization did not necessarily approve of it. Obviously I found out about this AFTER.

Interview Questions

• What is something that you could work on?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told what the salary was.

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint John's, NL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Saint John's, NL) in April 2009.

Interview

I received an interview because I have been volunteering at the club all year.
    The interview was more difficult than I expected. There were two supervisors and they taped the answers I gave so they could review them later and I thought that was a great idea.
    They asked me scenerios questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if an irrate parent came in screaming that one of the kids threw a stone at their car.   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a piece of equipment fell on a child in your care?   1 Answer

Director of National Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Atlanta, GA (US)).

Interview

Phone interview and then panel interview. It was pretty straight forward, panel shooting questions at you.. A lot of head nodding.. Seems with the organization that it's not as Diversity friendly, as it tries to sell itself.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a situation where you had conflict with another staff member and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Management Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

Interview

Had one hour interview with three different teams of two to five people, phone interview with ED and did not meet in person till after hired. Not sure who everyone on panel was and why they were onvolved.

After School Program Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Owensboro, KY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Owensboro, KY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a very short interview. Of course its going to be different for everyone depending on where you live. But they took me in a room, asked me about my avaliabilty and gave me two scenario questions. Then the interviewer started talking about policies and uniforms and asked me to fill out the paper work. I had been hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What is a weakness you have?   1 Answer
    • How would you promote positive behavior?   1 Answer

Unit Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

Interview

The interview process deals with how you respond to problems. They ask questions and then ask what your response would be in a dangerous situation or a situation where you do not feel comfortable. They also ask you about your skill level and previous experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to a child who is uncomplient with the rules, but you later find out from the parent that he/she has a disability and a behavioral problem?   Answer Question

Grant Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Boston, MA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Employees must have a strong interest in working with children, and actively supporting the individual needs of each child. They should be emotionally mature, and willing to commit to the level of service Boys & Girls Club aims to provide. Employees must take pride in all aspects of their designated responsibilities, and be dedicated to further development of their professional skills.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions, why do you want to work here? How will you benefit the company?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

Interview

My online application was answered with three days of submitting. I interviewed with a panel of HR professionals, followed by an interview with the director I would be supporting. The panel interview was pretty standard featuring the questions one would expect. I would recommend preparing for the second interview as the managing interviewer will have some very specific questions.

Interview Questions

• How Do you like to be managed? I found it unexpected because I had been my experience that managing top-down was an accepted practice and that direct report preferences was not considered--even if gauging work ethics.   Answer Question

Part Time Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Lexington, SC (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview was great. Prior to the interview I told their HR person Mrs Alisha that I had to pick my children up before 6 pm. I was told that the position was from 2-6 pm and if I were chosen that someone from HR would contact me to notify and let me know if they could arrange me leaving by 530 pm. Three days later I was contacted by HR Mrs Hall and told the position was from 2-6 pm and if I could make future arrangements with my kids schedule to please call them back. (Im assuming) I was hired. Three days after that I was told thru my job recruiter that she received a email from the boys and girls HR stating I turned the job down and that they were willing to work with me within my time restraints. The email further stated that they were even willing to allow me to work at the Irmo sc location, which is 30 mins closer to my house. I was originally told the position was only being held for Cayce west Columbia location. This is quite the opposite of what was explained to me from their HR Mrs Hall. I didn't like looking like a liar or that I declined a job that I went out of my way to interview for I would not want to waste anyone's time. I told my job recruiter I was going to see if the position was still available and see where the descepency was. Upon speaking to HR #1 Mrs Alisha out of only 2 HR staff I was told she did not send any email and that they had filled the position but were willing to allow me to leave by 530 pm and I should call back in 2 weeks to address my concerns with the HR #2 Mrs Hall and see if any opening. I tried numerous times calling leaving vm with no response. Finally I called HR supervisor Mrs Harper to figure out the descrepencies. After explaining everything she reappointed me to #2 HR Mrs Hall and said she would have her call me directly. 2 hours later #2 HR Mrs Hall called. I explained the inconsistencies with # 1 was I actually hired? #2 will they in fact allow me to work within time restraints? and at the Irmo location? She stated she did not send a email to my recruiter however she in fact was who I originally spoke to. I asked her if she could follow up with my recruiter to notify her that neither she nor HR # 1 Mrs Alisha sent out a email as that would eliminate anything in question. She replied by nastily stating she didn't care to take the time to clarify anything, that my recruiters email is here say and that my interview had great reviews and the position was still available. She went further to say all locations including Irmo had positions available, as she stated that, a person in the background corrected her telling her the Cayce area is all they had then and now. So upon learning there were still positions available at any of their locations I reinterated, could they infact do as HR #1 Mrs Alisha said they were willing to, and allow me to work until 530 pm? HR #2 Mrs Hall replied by saying the position was from 2-6 pm and no one would've told me anything different. I ignitially thought maybe my recruiter misconstrued the email but clearly with their who, what, where , when conflicts and not cross referencing the boys and girls club have a SERIOUS break down in their communication both with future applicants and each other. In Short, There HR staff said completely opposite statements never clarifying any of their contradictive statements nor had any rashional reason to be nasty. If they are this unorthodox how would one even begin to equate procedure, policy etc

Interview Questions

• If kids got into a scuffle how would you handle it?   1 Answer

Never was clear if I actually got the job nor if they could allow me to work within my time restraints. They stated that the interview went well and I shouldn't have a issue with getting hired within the co, outside of positions time.