Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Interview Details Extensive interview process focusing on fit/experience, as well as problem-solving and communication. These are tested through a fit-style interview and case-interview respectively. My suggestions would be to prepare for both the fit interview and case interview components with similar rigor. It is easy to focus on cases, but even if you nail the case you aren't an attractive candidate if they can't see themselves being stuck on a plane with you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to do consulting, BCG specifically?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation.

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2013.

Interview Details Went through competitive campus recruiting process, networked with people at the firm who were alumni from my school

Interview Question – When was a time you made an impact on your community   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details 2 initial face-to-face (on campus interviews). 30 minutes behavioural questions (very conversational) followed by two cases. One case on meat industry another on banking industry. Lots of charts and graphs to read. Some simple arithmetic to draw out.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Toronto, ON

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details For summer internship position while in undergrad
Applied through BCG website.

Went to information session.
-everyone was very friendly and had a relaxed attitude.
-There was enough time to talk with employees and learn about the office

Offered first round interview
-had scheduling issues and they were very accommodating
-actual interview had two case questions and behavioral test
-the case questions were very similar
(there is a problem here [industry, product etc] -> break down major factors -> one of major factors was problem -> breakdown again -> make recommendation
-I had prepared for much more variety and the mental math was an issue since I have been working with variables for a long time now.
-had drawn a flow chart of possible issues to address at beginning and worked with it through the case
-found issues and made recommendation.
-the behavioral questions were exceedingly simple (only had two: tell me about *points to most relevant thing on resume* and tell me about a team experience where there was a challenge)
-interviewers were very friendly and relaxed although one was in a rush and left 30 min in
-was not offered second interview for lack of organization on the case interview

Interview Question – Tell me about a team experience where you faced a challenge.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2009.

Interview Details First round: Got two interviews, one with a project leader, the other with a consultant. Both were 45 minutes, 10-15 minutes behavioural, the rest case. One case was very technical and highly quntitative, the other was less framed and required me to come up with a creative solution. Both were typical interviews that could have been predicted. Both behavioural was about my resume.

Interview Question – When working on a team, do you take the role of a leader, or that of a team player?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied for the summer associate in greater China area and got an interview in their Chicago office. There is only one round with three separate case interviews. One is in Chinese, the other two are in English. The first case is about online game companies, the second one is a market sizing problem, and the third one is about a plant growing some stuff for pharmaceutical companies.

Interview Question – This is my first management consulting interview, I didn't expect the market sizing problem as a whole case.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

Interview Details There were 2-3 rounds of presentations made by team coming down from BCG to the campus. Initial resume submission, followed by a shortlisting of candidates. This is followed up by a dinner with few consultants and partners. Finally, 2 to 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews are conducted based on case-interviews & few HR type of questions.

Interview Question – Why would you choose BCG over Mc Kinsey?   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online via website, took a month for them to contact me back (deadlines were very late January this year), but once I got a first round the second round was three days later and I got an offer that evening.

Interview Question – Difficult cases, very numbers focused   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details Applied online, got invited for an interview a week after the deadline.

Interview Question – One time you did something with no supervision   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details After on-campus networking sessions, the next step was to apply via my campus career center for an on-campus interview. The first round, they interviewed around 100 candidates on-campus, with a relatively small fraction moving onto second-rounds at each native office. The first-round consisted of two 45-minute interviews, with about 10-15 minutes of fit and a case for each. The second round was a similar format at the BCG office in my city of choice, but the cases were generally more involved, with the case given to me by the Partner being significantly more challenging and quantitative.

Interview Question – Explain to me how the situation that we have reached in this case is game theoretical, and how you would choose the best option.   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!