Boston Consulting Group

Updated 22 Feb, 2015
Updated 22 Feb, 2015

3.9

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Round 1 interview:
-received an email
-2 interviews with 2 individuals (45mins each)
-15mins of behavioural talk
-30mins of case solving
-case was relatively straightforward
-overall experience was good (one of the interviewer was nice and the other one seemed not so nice)

Interview Questions
  • 2 small business cases
    Involved simple math and reasoning

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, ON
    Anonymous Employee in Kingston, ON

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Applied through the university career portal. only made it to first rounds, had 2 45 minute interviews. A case for each. Very straightforward cases, interviewers were very professional. Make sure you have good questions to ask at the end.

Interview Questions
    • Given a graph with 3 possible scenarios, asked whether or not the company should invest.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2013.

Went through competitive campus recruiting process, networked with people at the firm who were alumni from my school

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

For summer internship position while in undergrad
    Applied through BCG website.

Went to information session.
    -everyone was very friendly and had a relaxed attitude.
    -There was enough time to talk with employees and learn about the office

Offered first round interview
    -had scheduling issues and they were very accommodating
    -actual interview had two case questions and behavioral test
    -the case questions were very similar
    (there is a problem here [industry, product etc] -> break down major factors -> one of major factors was problem -> breakdown again -> make recommendation
    -I had prepared for much more variety and the mental math was an issue since I have been working with variables for a long time now.
    -had drawn a flow chart of possible issues to address at beginning and worked with it through the case
    -found issues and made recommendation.
    -the behavioral questions were exceedingly simple (only had two: tell me about *points to most relevant thing on resume* and tell me about a team experience where there was a challenge)
    -interviewers were very friendly and relaxed although one was in a rush and left 30 min in
    -was not offered second interview for lack of organization on the case interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a team experience where you faced a challenge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

2 initial face-to-face (on campus interviews). 30 minutes behavioural questions (very conversational) followed by two cases. One case on meat industry another on banking industry. Lots of charts and graphs to read. Some simple arithmetic to draw out.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Extensive interview process focusing on fit/experience, as well as problem-solving and communication. These are tested through a fit-style interview and case-interview respectively. My suggestions would be to prepare for both the fit interview and case interview components with similar rigor. It is easy to focus on cases, but even if you nail the case you aren't an attractive candidate if they can't see themselves being stuck on a plane with you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to do consulting, BCG specifically?   View Answer
    Very little room for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2009.

First round: Got two interviews, one with a project leader, the other with a consultant. Both were 45 minutes, 10-15 minutes behavioural, the rest case. One case was very technical and highly quntitative, the other was less framed and required me to come up with a creative solution. Both were typical interviews that could have been predicted. Both behavioural was about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • When working on a team, do you take the role of a leader, or that of a team player?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

This interview process was frustrating as the "fit" questions were kept to a minimum. The interviewers seemed rush to get to the next person and would cut off your question at the end to start ushering you out the door. Although the process was efficient and only took a few days, you do not seem like an individual but a number to them.

Interview Questions
    • The only question was "tell me about a time someone disagreed with you." Other than that, it was a case.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Went through on campus recruiting of a top tier university. Submitted resume, cover letter and transcript through their website and campus recruiting website. They invited me to their local office for a mock interview about a week before the real thing. It took them a weekend plus a couple of days to get back to me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you worked on a team that was functioning well   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2015.

Applied through on-campus recruiting at top-10 university. Process took a little over 2 weeks.

First round interviews were on-campus and consisted of two 45-minute interviews with Project Leaders. Both spent 5-10 minute upfront on behavioral questions before jumping into cases. BCG cases are very candidate-led, so having a strong structure upfront is key to being able to crack the cases. I made my way through both first round cases pretty quickly, which gave me lots of time to just chat with my interviewers and ask them questions at the end of each interview.

I received a call the day after my interview informing me I had made it to the second round in my preferred office. One of my interviewers also called before my second round to give me interview feedback and also told me that BCG decision round interviews place a very strong emphasis on fit with the firm.

Second round interviews were on-site at the BCG office. My decision round interviews were the same format as my first round (two 45-minute interviews--apparently format can vary between each office though) and were with partners in the office. In my experience, my interviewers in the second round spent a lot more time casually chatting/asking fit questions than my first round interviewers. The cases were also lot less structured than the ones I saw in the first round, with partners often deviating from calculations, etc to ask me to brainstorm ideas. I received a call later that day from one of the partners who interviewed me and was extended an offer.