Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions

Updated 18 Sep, 2014

4.0

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2013.

Went through competitive campus recruiting process, networked with people at the firm who were alumni from my school

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

For summer internship position while in undergrad
    Applied through BCG website.

Went to information session.
    -everyone was very friendly and had a relaxed attitude.
    -There was enough time to talk with employees and learn about the office

Offered first round interview
    -had scheduling issues and they were very accommodating
    -actual interview had two case questions and behavioral test
    -the case questions were very similar
    (there is a problem here [industry, product etc] -> break down major factors -> one of major factors was problem -> breakdown again -> make recommendation
    -I had prepared for much more variety and the mental math was an issue since I have been working with variables for a long time now.
    -had drawn a flow chart of possible issues to address at beginning and worked with it through the case
    -found issues and made recommendation.
    -the behavioral questions were exceedingly simple (only had two: tell me about *points to most relevant thing on resume* and tell me about a team experience where there was a challenge)
    -interviewers were very friendly and relaxed although one was in a rush and left 30 min in
    -was not offered second interview for lack of organization on the case interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a team experience where you faced a challenge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

2 initial face-to-face (on campus interviews). 30 minutes behavioural questions (very conversational) followed by two cases. One case on meat industry another on banking industry. Lots of charts and graphs to read. Some simple arithmetic to draw out.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Extensive interview process focusing on fit/experience, as well as problem-solving and communication. These are tested through a fit-style interview and case-interview respectively. My suggestions would be to prepare for both the fit interview and case interview components with similar rigor. It is easy to focus on cases, but even if you nail the case you aren't an attractive candidate if they can't see themselves being stuck on a plane with you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to do consulting, BCG specifically?   View Answer
    Very little room for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2009.

First round: Got two interviews, one with a project leader, the other with a consultant. Both were 45 minutes, 10-15 minutes behavioural, the rest case. One case was very technical and highly quntitative, the other was less framed and required me to come up with a creative solution. Both were typical interviews that could have been predicted. Both behavioural was about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • When working on a team, do you take the role of a leader, or that of a team player?   Answer Question

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

1st round of 2 back to back 30 minute interviews. Standard behavioral questions and a case.
    2nd round of 3 back to back 45 minute interviews. Requires more creativity. They usually let the candidates know about the good news the evening of the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions are not extremely difficult but they do require you to learn about a new industry quickly. One of the most difficult part is to perform well for 3 hours long.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I went through on-campus recruiting from an Ivy League school. Had 2 back-to-back, 45min interviews with 15min on fit questions and 30min on a case. One interview was with a Project Leader and the other was with a Consultant. Very straightforward cases and general consulting questions (Why consulting? When have you worked on a team with difficult team members? etc.) Heard back within a week that I made it to final rounds at my top office choice. Was flown out and final round interviews were the same as first round, although they were with higher-ups in the firm.

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied online, got invited for an interview a week after the deadline.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

After on-campus networking sessions, the next step was to apply via my campus career center for an on-campus interview. The first round, they interviewed around 100 candidates on-campus, with a relatively small fraction moving onto second-rounds at each native office. The first-round consisted of two 45-minute interviews, with about 10-15 minutes of fit and a case for each. The second round was a similar format at the BCG office in my city of choice, but the cases were generally more involved, with the case given to me by the Partner being significantly more challenging and quantitative.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me how the situation that we have reached in this case is game theoretical, and how you would choose the best option.   Answer Question

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

On campus recruiting with an info session, case prep workshop, online application. On-campus first round interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!