Boston Consulting Group

3.9

51 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, ON
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, ON

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Applied through the university career portal. only made it to first rounds, had 2 45 minute interviews. A case for each. Very straightforward cases, interviewers were very professional. Make sure you have good questions to ask at the end.

Interview Questions
  • Given a graph with 3 possible scenarios, asked whether or not the company should invest.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2013.

Went through competitive campus recruiting process, networked with people at the firm who were alumni from my school

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

For summer internship position while in undergrad
    Applied through BCG website.

Went to information session.
    -everyone was very friendly and had a relaxed attitude.
    -There was enough time to talk with employees and learn about the office

Offered first round interview
    -had scheduling issues and they were very accommodating
    -actual interview had two case questions and behavioral test
    -the case questions were very similar
    (there is a problem here [industry, product etc] -> break down major factors -> one of major factors was problem -> breakdown again -> make recommendation
    -I had prepared for much more variety and the mental math was an issue since I have been working with variables for a long time now.
    -had drawn a flow chart of possible issues to address at beginning and worked with it through the case
    -found issues and made recommendation.
    -the behavioral questions were exceedingly simple (only had two: tell me about *points to most relevant thing on resume* and tell me about a team experience where there was a challenge)
    -interviewers were very friendly and relaxed although one was in a rush and left 30 min in
    -was not offered second interview for lack of organization on the case interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a team experience where you faced a challenge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

2 initial face-to-face (on campus interviews). 30 minutes behavioural questions (very conversational) followed by two cases. One case on meat industry another on banking industry. Lots of charts and graphs to read. Some simple arithmetic to draw out.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Extensive interview process focusing on fit/experience, as well as problem-solving and communication. These are tested through a fit-style interview and case-interview respectively. My suggestions would be to prepare for both the fit interview and case interview components with similar rigor. It is easy to focus on cases, but even if you nail the case you aren't an attractive candidate if they can't see themselves being stuck on a plane with you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to do consulting, BCG specifically?   View Answer
    Very little room for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2009.

First round: Got two interviews, one with a project leader, the other with a consultant. Both were 45 minutes, 10-15 minutes behavioural, the rest case. One case was very technical and highly quntitative, the other was less framed and required me to come up with a creative solution. Both were typical interviews that could have been predicted. Both behavioural was about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • When working on a team, do you take the role of a leader, or that of a team player?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Write Cover letter and submit Resume. You are invited to their offices to take the test. Had some travel the first time because their system was not working. I had to come another day.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First I had to do the new BCG test (which is very similar to the McKinsey one, but all questions are about one single case). They didn't really seem to put much weight to it. I asked afterwords and my interviewers didn't even know how I did. Only if you failed, they would know. Then there was a case study with a Project Manager. Went really well. Second round was an In-basket exercise (which I messed up) and another case study with a Partner. Nailed the case study again, but kind of messed up some calculations in the in-basket. They made me re-run the second round, cause they thought I had a lot of potential but they couldn't give me an offer yet since I had to nail analytics as well. In the second second round I had bad interviewers. Very uninterested and unfriendly. (May have something to do with the fact that they only got notified the day itself that they had to give me an interview, because of the re-run). Didn't get the offer.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Initially took part in on campus networking, then resume drop, then first round interview. Did no extra informationals, but would probably have helped. I did two back to back interviews, each with a behavioral and a case. Cases were certainly tricky; good preparation is essential. I used Case In Point and other resources and they helped a lot. Interviewers were great people, very laid back and made the interview much more easy and less stressful.

Interview Questions
    • No incredibly difficult ones. Maybe "tell me about a time you had to sell an idea to a higher level" or influence someone/create buy in - have a good story for those!   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

You must must must practice case studies with a partner, it's not really enough to just read Case in Point (although it's a good starting point). You can't really be over prepared. Make sure to be organized and logical in your approach.