Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions

Updated 12 Apr, 2015

3.9

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON) in January 2015.

Interview

Round 1 interview:
-received an email
-2 interviews with 2 individuals (45mins each)
-15mins of behavioural talk
-30mins of case solving
-case was relatively straightforward
-overall experience was good (one of the interviewer was nice and the other one seemed not so nice)

Interview Questions

• 2 small business cases
    Involved simple math and reasoning

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, ON

Application

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Kingston, ON) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through the university career portal. only made it to first rounds, had 2 45 minute interviews. A case for each. Very straightforward cases, interviewers were very professional. Make sure you have good questions to ask at the end.

Interview Questions

• Given a graph with 3 possible scenarios, asked whether or not the company should invest.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON) in January 2013.

Interview

Went through competitive campus recruiting process, networked with people at the firm who were alumni from my school

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON) in January 2012.

Interview

For summer internship position while in undergrad
    Applied through BCG website.

Went to information session.
    -everyone was very friendly and had a relaxed attitude.
    -There was enough time to talk with employees and learn about the office

Offered first round interview
    -had scheduling issues and they were very accommodating
    -actual interview had two case questions and behavioral test
    -the case questions were very similar
    (there is a problem here [industry, product etc] -> break down major factors -> one of major factors was problem -> breakdown again -> make recommendation
    -I had prepared for much more variety and the mental math was an issue since I have been working with variables for a long time now.
    -had drawn a flow chart of possible issues to address at beginning and worked with it through the case
    -found issues and made recommendation.
    -the behavioral questions were exceedingly simple (only had two: tell me about *points to most relevant thing on resume* and tell me about a team experience where there was a challenge)
    -interviewers were very friendly and relaxed although one was in a rush and left 30 min in
    -was not offered second interview for lack of organization on the case interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a team experience where you faced a challenge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON) in January 2012.

Interview

2 initial face-to-face (on campus interviews). 30 minutes behavioural questions (very conversational) followed by two cases. One case on meat industry another on banking industry. Lots of charts and graphs to read. Some simple arithmetic to draw out.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON) in January 2010.

Interview

Extensive interview process focusing on fit/experience, as well as problem-solving and communication. These are tested through a fit-style interview and case-interview respectively. My suggestions would be to prepare for both the fit interview and case interview components with similar rigor. It is easy to focus on cases, but even if you nail the case you aren't an attractive candidate if they can't see themselves being stuck on a plane with you.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do consulting, BCG specifically?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON) in June 2009.

Interview

First round: Got two interviews, one with a project leader, the other with a consultant. Both were 45 minutes, 10-15 minutes behavioural, the rest case. One case was very technical and highly quntitative, the other was less framed and required me to come up with a creative solution. Both were typical interviews that could have been predicted. Both behavioural was about my resume.

Interview Questions

• When working on a team, do you take the role of a leader, or that of a team player?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

There were two interviewers. First part of each of the interviews is behavioral and the other part is Sum case. The First Lady was really nice and interesting but the second guy was just cold and couldn't wait to finish the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time things went wrong at work and how did you deal with it   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I had two 45-minute interviews, back-to-back. The first interviewer spent most of the time on the case, and it was really bizarre. It was unlike anything I had practiced, and I knew I messed up on a simple math calculation. The second interview had a VERY straight-forward case which I think I did pretty well on. Both asked me a few questions about my resume before starting the case, and then I was given a few minutes at the end to ask them questions.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Very supportive, but intense. After my resume was selected, received two offers from the firm (from diversity recruiting and in general) for mock interviews - one over phone, the other in person in their local offices. Then a local reception for interviewees to network with consultants around the country, then the in person interview: fit questions and two case interviews with two separate consultants from different offices.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time where you played a role on a team and it was successful.   Answer Question