Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct, 2014
Updated 29 Oct, 2014

3.8

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First Round Interviews:

1st Interview:

- 15 minute fit: very standard questions (tell me about yourself, a time where you were a leader, etc) nothing out of the ordinary.
    - 30 minute case: determining why the long distance sector of a telecom company is losing revenues. Had 2 exhibits (one showing income statement now and 10 yrs ago; the other showing the market size as well as the market share of us vs competition).

2nd interview:

- 15 minute fit: again very standard behavioral questions.
    - 30 minute case: customers of cars were dissatisfied and you had to figure out why and what to do about it.

Second Round Interviews:

1st interview:
    - 45 minutes to read over 15 slides and figure out a recommendation. You had to choose 7 slides that you thought best represented the problem and write 1 executive summary slide that went over recommendations, reasons and risks.
    -45 minutes to go over the above package with a principal (15 mins of that was fit)

2nd interview:

- 15 mins fit - very standard with heavy focus on why BCG
    - 30 mins case - figuring out why the IT department of a pharma company was losing profits (couple of exhibits)

3rd interview:

- 45 minute very light/casual chat with a partner. It was really testing whether you're a good fit for the company and felt very natural.

Interview Questions
    • The written case was difficult in that there wasn't very much time to go through all the slides, do the math required and write the summary slide. Ended up being a serious time crunch.   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Great company! Initial communication with HR via telephone. Interviews were offered in two locations in Canada. Transportation cost was covered by BCG. The Toronto offices are pristine, the interviewers are smart and interesting people. You will learn a great deal about BCG, consulting and yourself during this interview process, enjoy it.

Interview Questions
    • How would you say that people describe your leadership style and how is it potentially flawed?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online after attending information sessions held at university or college. I had two 45 min, one-on-one interviews that each had a short behavioral question followed by a case. Both cases were straight forward, standard cases of the sort that are found in case interview preparation books. Both interviewers were friendly and cheerful. Received a decision email three days later.

Interview Questions
    • Both cases were straight forward cases of the sort that can be found in case interview preparation books like Case in Point.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I had two cases that were 30 minutes each and before each case there was a 15 min behavioural component. The cases were pretty straight forward. If I had done more prep I think it could have gone quite well. Both interviewers were very friendly and helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Applied online with employee referral, received first round interview. Attended case workshop a few days before the interview, during which BCG employees walked through a case in front of the applicants, with some applicants on the phone.

Typical BCG cases, 2 interviews back-to-back, 45 minutes each. One was cost-cutting and another was market entry.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioural questions: tell me about yourself, what is leadership to you.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

The first round was very typical. There were two cases involving profitability and new business, with graphs and tables to analyze, both interviewers were very friendly and gave standard behavior questions, why consulting, leadership roles, team work. Oftentimes the interviews are running late, but do not feel rushed when answering the questions, it is better to think through your answer.

Summer Analyst Interview

Went for a summer analyst interview. Hit me with two retail cases. Asked about personal experiences related to leadership, academics, etc.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2013.

Went through competitive campus recruiting process, networked with people at the firm who were alumni from my school

Associate Interview

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Got the interview invitation 2 weeks before the interview, which was nice as I had 1 long weekend to prepare (Canadian thanksgiving weekend). I got to the first round; 2 interviews. 15 mins fit questions, 30 mins case interview.

1st interview was a non-standard case, something about debt collection, the 2nd one was a standard case about banks and profits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2012.

Challenging but interesting interview process. Every individuals involved in the process were professional and it was great to walk through the various cases with them. It felt more like a conversation. I would recommend spending 100+ hours preparing/practicing for the case interviews as this represents the core of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • "Guesstimate" question where you have to calculate the numbers of items that fit in a certain area.   Answer Question