Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

440 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Interview Details Extensive interview process focusing on fit/experience, as well as problem-solving and communication. These are tested through a fit-style interview and case-interview respectively. My suggestions would be to prepare for both the fit interview and case interview components with similar rigor. It is easy to focus on cases, but even if you nail the case you aren't an attractive candidate if they can't see themselves being stuck on a plane with you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to do consulting, BCG specifically?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation.

Associate Interview

Associate
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied online with employee referral, received first round interview. Attended case workshop a few days before the interview, during which BCG employees walked through a case in front of the applicants, with some applicants on the phone.

Typical BCG cases, 2 interviews back-to-back, 45 minutes each. One was cost-cutting and another was market entry.

Interview Question – Typical behavioural questions: tell me about yourself, what is leadership to you.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2013.

Interview Details Went through competitive campus recruiting process, networked with people at the firm who were alumni from my school

Interview Question – When was a time you made an impact on your community   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details 2 initial face-to-face (on campus interviews). 30 minutes behavioural questions (very conversational) followed by two cases. One case on meat industry another on banking industry. Lots of charts and graphs to read. Some simple arithmetic to draw out.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details The first round was very typical. There were two cases involving profitability and new business, with graphs and tables to analyze, both interviewers were very friendly and gave standard behavior questions, why consulting, leadership roles, team work. Oftentimes the interviews are running late, but do not feel rushed when answering the questions, it is better to think through your answer.

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details Went for a summer analyst interview. Hit me with two retail cases. Asked about personal experiences related to leadership, academics, etc.

Interview Question – Most transferable skill from a previous job.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2012.

Interview Details Challenging but interesting interview process. Every individuals involved in the process were professional and it was great to walk through the various cases with them. It felt more like a conversation. I would recommend spending 100+ hours preparing/practicing for the case interviews as this represents the core of the interview process.

Interview Question – "Guesstimate" question where you have to calculate the numbers of items that fit in a certain area.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details For summer internship position while in undergrad
Applied through BCG website.

Went to information session.
-everyone was very friendly and had a relaxed attitude.
-There was enough time to talk with employees and learn about the office

Offered first round interview
-had scheduling issues and they were very accommodating
-actual interview had two case questions and behavioral test
-the case questions were very similar
(there is a problem here [industry, product etc] -> break down major factors -> one of major factors was problem -> breakdown again -> make recommendation
-I had prepared for much more variety and the mental math was an issue since I have been working with variables for a long time now.
-had drawn a flow chart of possible issues to address at beginning and worked with it through the case
-found issues and made recommendation.
-the behavioral questions were exceedingly simple (only had two: tell me about *points to most relevant thing on resume* and tell me about a team experience where there was a challenge)
-interviewers were very friendly and relaxed although one was in a rush and left 30 min in
-was not offered second interview for lack of organization on the case interview

Interview Question – Tell me about a team experience where you faced a challenge.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2009.

Interview Details First round: Got two interviews, one with a project leader, the other with a consultant. Both were 45 minutes, 10-15 minutes behavioural, the rest case. One case was very technical and highly quntitative, the other was less framed and required me to come up with a creative solution. Both were typical interviews that could have been predicted. Both behavioural was about my resume.

Interview Question – When working on a team, do you take the role of a leader, or that of a team player?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2010.

Interview Details Two case interviews, 45 minutes each. They did behavioural questions first and asked me about a recent accomplishment and a few resume items.

The cases were typical ones that you would have practiced in advance. No real surprises.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group interview questions and advice. All 440 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.