Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

114 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2012.

Interview Details Challenging but interesting interview process. Every individuals involved in the process were professional and it was great to walk through the various cases with them. It felt more like a conversation. I would recommend spending 100+ hours preparing/practicing for the case interviews as this represents the core of the interview process.

Interview Question – "Guesstimate" question where you have to calculate the numbers of items that fit in a certain area.   Answer Question

Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2012.

Interview Details There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Question – Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details Submit my resume through campus recruiting in September. Got selected for interviews. The first round was on campus, two case interviews. Each interview took about 30 minutes. Second round was on-site in October. There were 3 case interviews. Case interviews were similar to those in the first round.

Interview Question – There was a very hard case in the second round.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details Initially picked up via a 3rd party recruitment firm. Submitted CV and covering letter for specific BCG team (IVI Taskforce). Attended first round interview at which I met two BCG employees, one specifically from IVI team and one more senior general strategist. Both interviews had all the standard cultural fit and CV exploration. Both had a case study element, one relating to to a Swiss bank looking to reduce costs.

Interview Question – Maths elements of both case studies were quite complex and you were invited to ask questions or clarify. However interviewer sat right next to you which was slightly off-putting.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details - Comprehensive hiring process on campus; several networking sessions and dinners / cocktails
- BCG supported the interview process by organizing mock interviews with candidates
- Interview itself comprises 2 rounds of 2-3 45-min interviews (10-min behavioral, 30-min case and 5 mins to discuss other questions)

Interview Question – Nothing out-of-the-blue in terms of question. However, in second round with partners, it's likely that the interview structure could be non-traditional depending on the "mood" of the partner interviewing. Possible to end up even as a conversation / discussion about a topic of interest. But note that you are still being assessed on structured thinking, creativity, insights, etc.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details interviews after Bridge to BCG program

Interview Question – During the second interview, the interviewer asked me to read some data first without asking for a framework.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Interview Details Applied online, flown to SF office, passed 1st round but did not make it past final round.

Interview Question – One of cases was really hard and technical.   Answer Question

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2011.

Interview Details Great interview experience. Two rounds of interview - a case interview on the phone and followed by three case interviews at the office. The process was smooth. One of the case interviews was hard. However the importance is more on your thought process rather than getting the answer.

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details College campus initiated process with a resume drop. First round: 3 separate 30 minute interviews (resume and business case). Second round: 4 separate 30 minute interviews (resume and business case).

Interview Question – "Case interview" questions   View Answer

Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details Two rounds of interviews. 2 back to back case interview each round. Good learning experience. Unfortunately I didn't get the offer. Very professional experience.

Interview Question – Who are you?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group Consultant interview questions and advice. All 114 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.