Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr, 2015
Updated 15 Apr, 2015

3.9

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

First Round Interviews:

1st Interview:

- 15 minute fit: very standard questions (tell me about yourself, a time where you were a leader, etc) nothing out of the ordinary.
- 30 minute case: determining why the long distance sector of a telecom company is losing revenues. Had 2 exhibits (one showing income statement now and 10 yrs ago; the other showing the market size as well as the market share of us vs competition).

2nd interview:

- 15 minute fit: again very standard behavioral questions.
- 30 minute case: customers of cars were dissatisfied and you had to figure out why and what to do about it.

Second Round Interviews:

1st interview:
- 45 minutes to read over 15 slides and figure out a recommendation. You had to choose 7 slides that you thought best represented the problem and write 1 executive summary slide that went over recommendations, reasons and risks.
-45 minutes to go over the above package with a principal (15 mins of that was fit)

2nd interview:

- 15 mins fit - very standard with heavy focus on why BCG
- 30 mins case - figuring out why the IT department of a pharma company was losing profits (couple of exhibits)

3rd interview:

- 45 minute very light/casual chat with a partner. It was really testing whether you're a good fit for the company and felt very natural.

Interview Questions

• The written case was difficult in that there wasn't very much time to go through all the slides, do the math required and write the summary slide. Ended up being a serious time crunch.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No need to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online with employee referral, received first round interview. Attended case workshop a few days before the interview, during which BCG employees walked through a case in front of the applicants, with some applicants on the phone.

Typical BCG cases, 2 interviews back-to-back, 45 minutes each. One was cost-cutting and another was market entry.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioural questions: tell me about yourself, what is leadership to you.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Montreal, QC) in April 2013.

Interview

Two rounds. 2 interviews in round 1 and 3 in round 2. All case based. Very standard cases across the board. If you prep for normal cases these should not catch you too off guard. This was my second time interviewing there and the cases were fairly consistent between the two occasions. Everyone is very friendly/ supportive compared to some other comparable firms.

Interview Questions

• Questions about financial services which were far from my background.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Interview

Got the interview invitation 2 weeks before the interview, which was nice as I had 1 long weekend to prepare (Canadian thanksgiving weekend). I got to the first round; 2 interviews. 15 mins fit questions, 30 mins case interview.

1st interview was a non-standard case, something about debt collection, the 2nd one was a standard case about banks and profits.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON) in October 2010.

Interview

Two case interviews, 45 minutes each. They did behavioural questions first and asked me about a recent accomplishment and a few resume items.

The cases were typical ones that you would have practiced in advance. No real surprises.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a recent accomplishment of yours that you are proud of.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about the most interesting item on your resume.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Taipei (Taiwan)) in March 2015.

Interview

15 minutes non-case interview. Interview with senior associate and HR. The tempo is very fast, and interviewers don't want you to think too long. Interviewers have poker face, so the pressure is kind of high. The interview start with English and then goes to Chinese. They are keep testing how did you solve problems, after you answer a question.

Interview Questions

• Self-Introduction.
      3 Strengths and Weakness, how did you solve your weakness.
      Biggest accomplishment.
      Hardest challenge at previous work,how did you solve it.

Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I was first asked a few questions on my profile (educational background and previous professional experience). We spent about 10 min discussing my undergraduate dissertation project (mostly questions around the methodology), during which the interviewer challenged me with his own opinions on what can and should be investigated (and, more disappointingly, where scientific truth lies).

Interview Questions

• 'I am an investor wanting to build a high speed rail project between Washington DC and New York. Should I make an investment or not?'   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Smooth application process, though it took a bit longer than I expected till HR set a date for the first round. First round: online case, two 1-on-1 case interviews.

Online case: Tests basic math, memory, logic etc. Tougher than standard SHL tests.

First case interview: I followed the "perfect" basic framework (which two contacts of mine working at the same company confirmed afterwards) but the solution the interviewer wanted lied at the very micro-level. The interviewer (I think) "stress-tested" me with some tough/borderline aggressive questions, which in principle is fine, but it created a somewhat uncomfortable setting.

Second case interview: No "stress-test", comfortable setting. Straightforward case about determining future revenue of an apparel retailer. The interviewer made me revise my initial calculations (which were correct) by adding extra math, which the interviewer asked me to do in my head without pen and paper.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Had a week to prepare. The interview consists of both a face-to-face interview and a computer based test. The interviewers' name and cv is shared beforehand.

The face-to-face interview is a consulting case relevant to the interviewers' background. This interview is tough, but doable with a lot of preparation (which I didn't have enough of). Mental arithmetic is a key skill to have, and well practiced.

The online test is also doable, but be sure you are good at interpreting economic graphs.

The process is stressful, but pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be in consulting.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

We had an initial resume shortlist that was released a month before interviews. Recent grads were assigned to us to help out with any questions we had and also to practice cases with. I had 3 rounds in total on the actual recruitment day (with PL/Prinicipal/Partner level interviewers), all traditional case interviews with a little bit of HR/resume discussion mixed in.

Interview Questions

• A few curve ball questions to look at how I respond to anything unexpected. It's more important to come off as cool headed than anything else.   Answer Question