Boston Consulting Group

Updated 21 Feb, 2015
Updated 21 Feb, 2015

3.9

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First Round Interviews:

1st Interview:

- 15 minute fit: very standard questions (tell me about yourself, a time where you were a leader, etc) nothing out of the ordinary.
- 30 minute case: determining why the long distance sector of a telecom company is losing revenues. Had 2 exhibits (one showing income statement now and 10 yrs ago; the other showing the market size as well as the market share of us vs competition).

2nd interview:

- 15 minute fit: again very standard behavioral questions.
- 30 minute case: customers of cars were dissatisfied and you had to figure out why and what to do about it.

Second Round Interviews:

1st interview:
- 45 minutes to read over 15 slides and figure out a recommendation. You had to choose 7 slides that you thought best represented the problem and write 1 executive summary slide that went over recommendations, reasons and risks.
-45 minutes to go over the above package with a principal (15 mins of that was fit)

2nd interview:

- 15 mins fit - very standard with heavy focus on why BCG
- 30 mins case - figuring out why the IT department of a pharma company was losing profits (couple of exhibits)

3rd interview:

- 45 minute very light/casual chat with a partner. It was really testing whether you're a good fit for the company and felt very natural.

Interview Questions
  • The written case was difficult in that there wasn't very much time to go through all the slides, do the math required and write the summary slide. Ended up being a serious time crunch.   Answer Question
No need to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Applied online with employee referral, received first round interview. Attended case workshop a few days before the interview, during which BCG employees walked through a case in front of the applicants, with some applicants on the phone.

Typical BCG cases, 2 interviews back-to-back, 45 minutes each. One was cost-cutting and another was market entry.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioural questions: tell me about yourself, what is leadership to you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2013.

Two rounds. 2 interviews in round 1 and 3 in round 2. All case based. Very standard cases across the board. If you prep for normal cases these should not catch you too off guard. This was my second time interviewing there and the cases were fairly consistent between the two occasions. Everyone is very friendly/ supportive compared to some other comparable firms.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about financial services which were far from my background.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Got the interview invitation 2 weeks before the interview, which was nice as I had 1 long weekend to prepare (Canadian thanksgiving weekend). I got to the first round; 2 interviews. 15 mins fit questions, 30 mins case interview.

1st interview was a non-standard case, something about debt collection, the 2nd one was a standard case about banks and profits.

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2010.

Two case interviews, 45 minutes each. They did behavioural questions first and asked me about a recent accomplishment and a few resume items.

The cases were typical ones that you would have practiced in advance. No real surprises.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a recent accomplishment of yours that you are proud of.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about the most interesting item on your resume.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I was first asked a few questions on my profile (educational background and previous professional experience). We spent about 10 min discussing my undergraduate dissertation project (mostly questions around the methodology), during which the interviewer challenged me with his own opinions on what can and should be investigated (and, more disappointingly, where scientific truth lies).

Interview Questions
    • 'I am an investor wanting to build a high speed rail project between Washington DC and New York. Should I make an investment or not?'   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Smooth application process, though it took a bit longer than I expected till HR set a date for the first round. First round: online case, two 1-on-1 case interviews.

Online case: Tests basic math, memory, logic etc. Tougher than standard SHL tests.

First case interview: I followed the "perfect" basic framework (which two contacts of mine working at the same company confirmed afterwards) but the solution the interviewer wanted lied at the very micro-level. The interviewer (I think) "stress-tested" me with some tough/borderline aggressive questions, which in principle is fine, but it created a somewhat uncomfortable setting.

Second case interview: No "stress-test", comfortable setting. Straightforward case about determining future revenue of an apparel retailer. The interviewer made me revise my initial calculations (which were correct) by adding extra math, which the interviewer asked me to do in my head without pen and paper.

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Had a week to prepare. The interview consists of both a face-to-face interview and a computer based test. The interviewers' name and cv is shared beforehand.

The face-to-face interview is a consulting case relevant to the interviewers' background. This interview is tough, but doable with a lot of preparation (which I didn't have enough of). Mental arithmetic is a key skill to have, and well practiced.

The online test is also doable, but be sure you are good at interpreting economic graphs.

The process is stressful, but pleasant.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

We had an initial resume shortlist that was released a month before interviews. Recent grads were assigned to us to help out with any questions we had and also to practice cases with. I had 3 rounds in total on the actual recruitment day (with PL/Prinicipal/Partner level interviewers), all traditional case interviews with a little bit of HR/resume discussion mixed in.

Interview Questions
    • A few curve ball questions to look at how I respond to anything unexpected. It's more important to come off as cool headed than anything else.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I had 5 cases on my final round with BCG. The first 4 cases when very smooth, completely in-line with how I had prepared, the 5th case was a disaster though. The case was about a competitor moving into a different country, all of the numbers indicated it was the wrong move for them so my recommendation was to ignore them. The Partner doing the case told me that there must be a reason for them to move so I should always follow them at least with a small launch to test the waters. It all went south from there. Didn't get an offer.