Boston Consulting Group

Updated 15 Dec, 2014

3.9

119 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First Round Interviews:

1st Interview:

- 15 minute fit: very standard questions (tell me about yourself, a time where you were a leader, etc) nothing out of the ordinary.
- 30 minute case: determining why the long distance sector of a telecom company is losing revenues. Had 2 exhibits (one showing income statement now and 10 yrs ago; the other showing the market size as well as the market share of us vs competition).

2nd interview:

- 15 minute fit: again very standard behavioral questions.
- 30 minute case: customers of cars were dissatisfied and you had to figure out why and what to do about it.

Second Round Interviews:

1st interview:
- 45 minutes to read over 15 slides and figure out a recommendation. You had to choose 7 slides that you thought best represented the problem and write 1 executive summary slide that went over recommendations, reasons and risks.
-45 minutes to go over the above package with a principal (15 mins of that was fit)

2nd interview:

- 15 mins fit - very standard with heavy focus on why BCG
- 30 mins case - figuring out why the IT department of a pharma company was losing profits (couple of exhibits)

3rd interview:

- 45 minute very light/casual chat with a partner. It was really testing whether you're a good fit for the company and felt very natural.

Interview Questions
  • The written case was difficult in that there wasn't very much time to go through all the slides, do the math required and write the summary slide. Ended up being a serious time crunch.   Answer Question
No need to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Applied online with employee referral, received first round interview. Attended case workshop a few days before the interview, during which BCG employees walked through a case in front of the applicants, with some applicants on the phone.

Typical BCG cases, 2 interviews back-to-back, 45 minutes each. One was cost-cutting and another was market entry.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioural questions: tell me about yourself, what is leadership to you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2013.

Two rounds. 2 interviews in round 1 and 3 in round 2. All case based. Very standard cases across the board. If you prep for normal cases these should not catch you too off guard. This was my second time interviewing there and the cases were fairly consistent between the two occasions. Everyone is very friendly/ supportive compared to some other comparable firms.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about financial services which were far from my background.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Got the interview invitation 2 weeks before the interview, which was nice as I had 1 long weekend to prepare (Canadian thanksgiving weekend). I got to the first round; 2 interviews. 15 mins fit questions, 30 mins case interview.

1st interview was a non-standard case, something about debt collection, the 2nd one was a standard case about banks and profits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2010.

Two case interviews, 45 minutes each. They did behavioural questions first and asked me about a recent accomplishment and a few resume items.

The cases were typical ones that you would have practiced in advance. No real surprises.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a recent accomplishment of yours that you are proud of.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about the most interesting item on your resume.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

CV and cover letter screening
    First round interview: case with a partner/principal + written numerical test
    Second round interview: 2 cases with partner/principal
    Final round interview: 2 cases with partners (not necessarily cases per se, partners at this point do whatever they want during the interview to get to know you and see how you think)

Interview Questions
    • Quite a lot of data analysis (the interviewers will give you numbers, charts, etc and you will have to digest the info fast).   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Submitted CV and cover letter online, was invited to interviews in London. First round interview = profit and loss case and a maths paper. Then invited to second round - two interviews, one was on analysing a financial services data provider, one was about the energy sector. Didn't get through that round but did make some maths mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • What are the skills a consultant needs and how have you demonstrated them?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Typical consulting interview process. Applied through college and was invited for an on-campus interview. The first round consisted of two interviews (case and behavioral), and the final round, two as well. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful, even if you initially went down a wrong path for the case. The cases themselves were of above average difficulty but were still manageable, given that you manage your time correctly.

Associate Interview

Very quick turn around between interviews, but overall a great experience. Everyone was super helpful and friendly. I can tell that everyone genuinely wanted me to succeed. Unfortaunely, I froze up during one of my final round interviews and it probably costed me the offer, but regardless , it was a great experience, and I would recommdend everyone go through with it.

First round:
    2 40 minute case interviews (few fit questions here and there)

Final round:
    3 40 minute case interviews

Interview Questions
    • During my first round, I was given about 10-12 graphs, and I had to synthesize information from all of these resources, and pull insight to various questions that my interviewer was asking.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied through my school, and got a first round interview. It was two back-to-back 45 minute interviews, with a bit of fit at the beginning, a case, and then some time for questions. The cases were not too difficult, but I think that perfection was required to get through to the second round.

Interview Questions
    • "When did you overcome an issue with trust, and how did you do it?"   Answer Question