Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
54 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details Communication with HR was very efficient and extremely friendly.
Interview 1st round was as described. 2 interviews with cases. The interviewer were very friendly. Cases weren't tough, but time was very limited. Online case was less numerical but more about business sense and logic.
2nd round is three interviews with cases and more difficult. Fit to company is the more important part, I assume.
BCG called with really good feedback after.

Interview Question – How would it make you feel if you made an analysis and found the best option for a client but he decides to go another way which you know wouldn't benefit him as much?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview Details Case interview conducted by consultants, principals and partners current working at the BCG office in Sao Paulo. Additional interview with HR as a final check. The best way to prepare is by studying and practice case interviews, there are tons of case study books online

Interview Question – Typical case interview process, no surprises here   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details Interviewed on campus, standard initial round of two case interviews. Lots of feedback provided. Then an additional case prep and second round which consistent of three case interviews. People were very friendly. May be due to the fact that people were recruiting on campus. I interviewed from DC for New York.

Interview Question – was asked to calculate 10.58% of something. No bueno.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details Technical questions geared as though the interviewee is in a class romm regurgitating theroy

Interview Question – Economic theroy   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details I was first invited to a preparation Workshop, it covered the firm’s culture, recruitment process and a sample case analysis. I found the sample case analysis very useful. So there were 3 rounds of interview, each round composed of 2 case interviews. I was interviewed by a principal first, and then a consultant. Unfortunately, I did not make it through the first round. I would recommend interviewees to develop a framework instead of tackling the questions intuitively.

Interview Question – What do you know about private equity?   Answer Question

Sydney (Australia)

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied for associate campaign online.
Only got to first round interviews.

Interview Question – 1. What sort of leader are you?
2. Biggest challenge?
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details Online application and a little back and forth with the recruitment manager. First round interview was in person, with two consultants. The interviews were tough and the consultants don't provide too much comfort if you get off to a shaky start. This was followed by a 1 hour 'aptitude test', involving verbal and numerical comprehension and reasoning. It started easy then got quite difficult towards the end, and was very business focussed, in comparison to some of the more generic aptitude tests out there.

Interview Question – A case study about a customer service phone company in Kenya. The question was actually asking to calculate the per unit profit.   View Answer

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details BCG came onto campus during the fall semester to hold recruit at my school. I applied online and was given a first round interview at their offices in my school's city. A recent alumni of my school and current BCGer contacted me by e-mail shortly after I accepted my interview and led me through a practice interview and case on the phone in preparation for my actual interview. The interview was pretty typical as far as Big Three consulting interviews go. I had back to back interviews for around a half our each with two project leaders, and each gave me a case in their area of expertise. The cases were fairly standard BCG cases - think big picture rather than those market-sizing type questions - and there are a ton of examples that you can (and should) use to practice before your interview. I had only looked at cases in the days before my interview, and needless to say, I did not do as well as I would have liked. Still a great experience though, I just wish I would have done more ahead of time.

Interview Question – Be sure to study a wide variety of cases ahead of time and understand what types of questions you will need to ask to get all the information you need. Your interviewers will help guide you along if you're truly stuck, but you should to get it on your own. Also, make sure that your calculations are precise. Definitely ask for a minute to gather your thoughts if you need it.   Answer Question

Associate - Consultant Interview

Associate - Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in London in November 2013. Enjoyed the process and found the staff friendly, interesting and approachable, including my interviewer.

Day consisted of a fairly simple quantitative maths test, a case study interview and online case study test (graph and data interpretation, verbal and numerical).

Interview Question – Business case - need to improve a retail bank's sales force productivity with a focus on their employee incentive scheme   Answer Question

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details I made initial communication with consultants within my preferred office and was accepted as a referred candidate. Additionally, I applied online and through BCG campus resume collection.

The first round interviews consisted of two 45-minute in person interviews. The interviews were ten minutes of fit/behavioral and the remaining time for one case each.

I was very nervous during the first interview and messed up the math...the interviewed was very kind and asked me to look over the numbers again.
The second interview went much better. The case and fit portion felt much like a conversation, and overall, I had a lot of fun during the interview!

The behavioral questions were very much expected. The case questions involved multiple graphs and additional facts. I strayed from my initial framework and had to be quick on my feet to respond to each interviewers prompts.

Additionally, it is helpful to know that I have a liberal arts (political science and economics majors) background. I have had no prior experience in the industry and relied mainly on online resources to learn about the case interview process. The case questions I encountered were not difficult because of the technicalities but because of how fast-paced it all seemed.

Interview Question – The fit and case portions were to be expected.   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!