Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep, 2014

4.0

56 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviewed on university campus for first round interview. Interviewed by 2 different people, each was 45 minutes long. The interviews had a few behavioral questions followed by a case and then time for questions and answers.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when it was difficult to be a leader   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Very efficient process. Applied on campus, was contact after 6 days for an on-campus interview. The interview includes 2 back-to-back interview. The case itself was not hard, the hard part was for you to take charge and explain areas you want to explore. In other words, the analysis was not difficult, but to ask the right questions to extract the right data was the challenging part.
    The interviewers were extremely nice. Having been through the dreaded stress test interviews for other firms, I found BCG's interviews to be very pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a bar chart and had to struggle a bit to figure out what new meaning the graph shed on our current business situation   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Düsseldorf (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Communication with HR was very efficient and extremely friendly.
    Interview 1st round was as described. 2 interviews with cases. The interviewer were very friendly. Cases weren't tough, but time was very limited. Online case was less numerical but more about business sense and logic.
    2nd round is three interviews with cases and more difficult. Fit to company is the more important part, I assume.
    BCG called with really good feedback after.

Interview Questions
    • How would it make you feel if you made an analysis and found the best option for a client but he decides to go another way which you know wouldn't benefit him as much?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interviewed on campus, standard initial round of two case interviews. Lots of feedback provided. Then an additional case prep and second round which consistent of three case interviews. People were very friendly. May be due to the fact that people were recruiting on campus. I interviewed from DC for New York.

Associate Consultant Interview

I was first invited to a preparation Workshop, it covered the firm’s culture, recruitment process and a sample case analysis. I found the sample case analysis very useful. So there were 3 rounds of interview, each round composed of 2 case interviews. I was interviewed by a principal first, and then a consultant. Unfortunately, I did not make it through the first round. I would recommend interviewees to develop a framework instead of tackling the questions intuitively.

Associate Consultant Interview

Online application and a little back and forth with the recruitment manager. First round interview was in person, with two consultants. The interviews were tough and the consultants don't provide too much comfort if you get off to a shaky start. This was followed by a 1 hour 'aptitude test', involving verbal and numerical comprehension and reasoning. It started easy then got quite difficult towards the end, and was very business focussed, in comparison to some of the more generic aptitude tests out there.

Interview Questions
    • A case study about a customer service phone company in Kenya. The question was actually asking to calculate the per unit profit.   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Applied for associate campaign online.
    Only got to first round interviews.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Technical questions geared as though the interviewee is in a class romm regurgitating theroy

Associate - Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in London in November 2013. Enjoyed the process and found the staff friendly, interesting and approachable, including my interviewer.

Day consisted of a fairly simple quantitative maths test, a case study interview and online case study test (graph and data interpretation, verbal and numerical).

Interview Questions
    • Business case - need to improve a retail bank's sales force productivity with a focus on their employee incentive scheme   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

I made initial communication with consultants within my preferred office and was accepted as a referred candidate. Additionally, I applied online and through BCG campus resume collection.

The first round interviews consisted of two 45-minute in person interviews. The interviews were ten minutes of fit/behavioral and the remaining time for one case each.

I was very nervous during the first interview and messed up the math...the interviewed was very kind and asked me to look over the numbers again.
    The second interview went much better. The case and fit portion felt much like a conversation, and overall, I had a lot of fun during the interview!

The behavioral questions were very much expected. The case questions involved multiple graphs and additional facts. I strayed from my initial framework and had to be quick on my feet to respond to each interviewers prompts.

Additionally, it is helpful to know that I have a liberal arts (political science and economics majors) background. I have had no prior experience in the industry and relied mainly on online resources to learn about the case interview process. The case questions I encountered were not difficult because of the technicalities but because of how fast-paced it all seemed.

Interview Questions

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!