Boston Consulting Group

Updated 8 Feb, 2015
Updated 8 Feb, 2015

4.0

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviewed for BCG Rome/Milan Office.
The first round interview consisted of two case studies. Both wanted to make sure I had knowledge of Italian therefore, once they saw I was fluent in English they switched to Italian.

Case studies were of very different nature. One more abstract thinking about R&D in oil industry and another about Private Equity with very numerical testing.

Both were very friendly. They tried to help when I was in difficulty.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Consultant Interview

Received an email that I was invited to a first round interview and had 2 weeks to prepare. Interview consisted of 3 parts. Part 1: case study + personal questions. Part 2: another case study with another interviewer + personal questions. Part 3: Online case/analytical test
    Interviewers were both very friendly and interested. Atmosphere was very relaxed. I had expected a little more support during the case studies.

Interview Questions
    • When you join our company you will have to come up with a personal development plan. What will be in you plan?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I submitted my resume, cover letter and transcript online (but through my university). I was initially really excited when I went to their info session because the employees seemed very interesting and engaging and laid back. However, the first round of interviews was the complete opposite. I had two separate interviews which were about 45 minutes each: 15 minutes behavioral and a 30 minute case. My first interviewer was extremely rude and condescending. The second was very kind and really seemed interested in my answers and the different way I solved the case. Overall, I could tell I wasn't a good fit.

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Good and quick communication throughout, three rounds in total. First round included a maths test but this wasn't nearly as bad as the PST at McKinsey, it was the specific university recruiting test and not the case based one used in other cases.

Interview Questions
    • First interviewer was a very friendly partner who asked me how much I wanted the job and asked positive and simple questions about my CV. Case Question: tell me how you think the drop in oil price has affected the world i.e. companies, governments, consumers etc. ...second interviewer picked away at my CV negatively and it was difficult not to feel defensive, he also seemed bored during the case.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Applied through online system, email came a couple of weeks after, and it contains interview invitation. Interview consisted of two case interviews by separate interviewers, who are both principals in BCG Singapore. Each interviewer starts by asking some fit questions such as 'why consulting?', 'why BCG?', and 'why you?'. That was followed by a case and an opportunity to ask the interviewers a few questions.

Interview Questions
    • The first case was about a market entry strategy for a researcher that has invented a novel laser technology. The second case was about a strategy to increase productivity in Singapore. The latter one was particularly hard because it was not like typical case interview questions. There was an equation given and you're supposed to compare between Singapore's productivity and New York's.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Recruited on-campus, had first and second round interviews, both at the BCG office. First round was done by consultants, second was by partner/principal. The partner/principal interview was much less structured than the first round (much less like the case interviews I prepared for), but that was fine. I got the feeling that the partner was really watching me closely as I answered to see if I was being authentic and to see how my performance during the interview would extrapolate to on-the-job performance.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you not plan to return to the consulting firm you interned with last summer (where I had a return offer)?   View Answer
    Basically no negotiation for salary, since salaries are standardized across the company (you might be able to negotiate your base salary up, but at the end of the year there's a target salary they aim for, so your bonus will be adjusted to take this into account).

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Began with an online application followed by a phone interview with a series of behavioral questions. After that there were two rounds of case interviews. The case interviews were each 45 minutes and started with casual conversation and standard behavioral questions and then there was the case. The cases were never too bad, but make sure you understand how to structure your solution and really talk out what you're thinking and doing so the interviewer can follow you.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you had to change your stance on an issue?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First round interview: 2 back to back interviews with associates doing business cases. Spent a little time in the conference room mingling and eating the provided burritos.

Wait 7-8 days...call from the recruiter asking me to come back in. He gave me feedback on what to do better and what I did well. Second round interview scheduled for two weeks later.

Second (final) round interview: 3 back to back 45 min interviews with 2 case team leaders and 1 principal. Slightly more time spent on fit, but the case is the focus.

Most important advice given to me: you have to nail ALL THREE cases to get the offer: I only nailed two, ce la vie...

Interview Questions
    • Really nothing surprising if you're trying to get into consulting. Very little time spent on fit questions, just your average case studies. Lots of graphs...   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

The whole process took about a month. Applied online to a SEA office, was contacted about a week after my application. Interviews were done in a top notch hotel, very organized, very nice people.

No negotiation.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

The first round of interviews was composed by three parts: two interviews with two different consultants and an online case study.
    Both the interviews had the same format: 1) Some questions about myself and my cv/cover 2) A case study 3) the possibility to ask questions about BCG, consultant's experience etc.
    The online case study was composed by a set of questions (around 50) about just one scenario. In order to answer the questions I had to analyze different graphs/tables that became available question after question.

Interview Questions
    • Why is BCG different from McKinsey? Why did you get 95/100 in your high school diploma and not 100/100?   Answer Question