Borders

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Rockville, MD (US)

I interviewed at Borders in June 2009.

Interview Details Easy interview and relatively quick process as HR contacted 2 weeks after submitting application in store. Manager of the store was courteous and asked the usual questions in reference to interests in books and media and what my favorite topics and areas of expertise were.

Interview Question – If you had your choice of being a potato, rock or apple, which would you be?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – pay was too low

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Borders in May 2011.

Interview Details I applied online and received a call from the GM a few days later to set up an interview. I went in for my interview with the Sales Manager and was asked basic sales questions. I had to describe the last book I had read cover to cover and tell him why he would like it, talk about previous experiences with customers, etc. I was nervous because I had never had any real experience in retail, but they must have liked my answers. After about a 15 minute interview with the sales manager, he took me back to speak with the GM. She asked me the same types of questions and that part of the interview only lasted about 10 minutes. A few days later, I was offered the job.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to deal with an unhappy customer. What did you do?   Answer Question

Cashier

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders in May 2010.

Interview Details I first had an interview with a very nice lady. They called me and said I had to go to another interview with the manager. When I got there she was a serious lady. She asked me some questions, but we stayed discussing for about 15 minutes one of them. Why are you the best, i told her my answer she was not satisfied so she kept arguing with me that my answer was not what she was looking for.

Interview Question – why do you consider yourself the best.   Answer Question

Canton, OH (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Borders in December 2009.

Interview Details At first I thought that Borders would be a great place to work. The people seemed friendly, they seemed knowledgeable, and it seemed like the ideal place for someone that loved books as much as I do. I applied online, was called almost immediately for the the interview, and drove to the store to meet with the hiring manager. She and I seemed to have a good conversation, she assured me that I would be hearing from her soon about a decision the company made either way, and she expressed how glad she was to have met me. After a few weeks of not hearing from anyone, I began calling and getting the run around as to whom I could speak to about the position. Finally I was told that the woman that interviewed me no longer worked there, all the positions had been filled, and there was nothing anyone could do to help me. I could not believe they handled business in such an inappropriate and unorganized fashion.

Interview Question – Name a difficult situation you have had with a customer and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Washington, DC (US)

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Borders in February 2010.

Interview Details My interview process was very general. The recruiter was very forward with me and asked me what types of skill and qualities they were looking for in potential candidates. I got the feeling that the work culture at Border was very friendly and feel like a family. I had one interview with the recruiter.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you dealt with a hard assignment. How did you handle the assignment?   Answer Question

Cashier

The process took a day - interviewed at Borders in September 2009.

Interview Details I applied using their online application and responded to the personality test with a mix of the truth and trying to figure out what they wanted to hear. A supervisor called me between 1 and 2 weeks later to set up an in-person interview the following day. First I was interviewed by a manager, who was very friendly and asked the typical "tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult customer....tell me about your greatest strength, your greatest weakness, etc." type questions. Then he called in a more senior manager to conduct a "second interview", but this one was very brief and basically consisted of his asking me if I had any questions about the job. Then they offered me the position on the spot, and voila, I was hired! It was quite painless.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Take the pay or leave it.

Worked for Borders? Contribute to the Community!