Bloomingdale's

Updated 18 Nov, 2014
Updated 18 Nov, 2014

2.5

Seconal Sales Support Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomingdale's.

First part is an group interview. You are there with 10 plus people and are asked a bunch of questions. Then you go home and wait for an email asking to interview with a manager.

Interview Questions
    • With a group you cannot really sell your self as an individual.   Answer Question
    No negotiatiion.

Holiday Selling Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomingdale's in November 2014.

Applied online. Took about 2 weeks but I got an email to schedule an interview. First met with a group of 6 people and two managers. Then we were sent back outside and recalled to meet with the two of them individually. If they decided to follow up with you they will let you know right there as I seen most of the group go in and right back out the door. I was sent back out to wait for another manager of the store and then another! Although I was going for a seasonal position she offered me a permanent part time position!

No negotiations. Base plus commission

Seamstress Alteration Interview

Group setting, very comfortable environment. Asked for everyone to engage. Could see your personality through your answers. Was very friendly and pleasant. Gave us info on flexibility and responsibilities.Emphasized the importance of teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react to an angry customer?   View Answer

Gift Wrapping Interview

It's was kind of stressful but I personally think it wouldn't be a hard job I wasn't prepares for those kind of questions said given to me id wish iv had practiced more with the question but theirs always a next time

Interview Questions
    • How to deal with satisfying customers when things get ruff   Answer Question

Holiday Evenings and Weekends Support Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in November 2014.

I applied for this position online via Bloomingdale's website. The next day I received an email inviting me to schedule an interview. I went to the scheduling site and scheduled my interview.

When I arrived at Bloomingdale's for the interview, the HR waiting room was filled with several people. Each person was being called into an office and came back out within 5 to 10 minutes. Slowly several new people filtered into the HR waiting area. We started to discuss and discovered that we were all scheduled for the same time (1:30 p.m.). The HR rep took the newcomers into a conference room upstairs and asked if we all knew we were here for a group interview. Most of us did not know. She indicated that the sales positions have always been group interviews and the support positions just recently switched to group interviews. A few of us told her the email did not indicate it was a group interview. The HR rep said that she did not know what the candidate emails state. This is interesting--even if corporate HR designs the email, the local HR rep should be up to date with all HR-related communications.

Each person introduced himself or herself. Then the HR rep asked a question and each person took turns answering the question. This continued throughout the interview. The HR rep then asked for questions, which she answered.

The email inviting me to interview instructed me to bring a copy of my resume. The HR rep indicated she only needed resumes from anyone who didn't attach a resume during the online application process. One interviewee indicated she didn't have her resume because she left it on the bus (dog ate my homework?). There was also confusion regarding hours for the available jobs. The online application indicated overnight positions were available. The HR rep said she was not aware of any overnight positions, although this was her first holiday season with Bloomingdale's.

Even though the HR rep indicated there were both sales and support positions available, she favored sales. She discussed sales 98 percent of the time and pushed people who preferred support positions to consider sales instead.

The HR rep indicated we would hear back in 7 to 10 days (either by phone or email). It has been 10 days and I have not heard back via phone or email. When the HR rep indicates a timeframe and doesn't follow up on her word, I have to wonder how desirable it is to work for such a company.

One thing to note: The HR rep indicated she doesn't want any "Danielle Downers" working at Bloomingdale's. So if you're not a naturally outgoing person, fake it!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult. Questions were ones anyone can answer without preparing for the interview.   Answer Question

Holiday Evenings and Weekend Support Team Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in November 2014.

Firstly, I'm reviewing on the interview in Soho, NYC. I was excited to be interviewed but after all the waste of time they put me through, I am highly disappointed. I came in 20 minutes early for my interview. When my scheduled time came up, there was no one in site to start the interview. So, for over 30 minutes plus my 20 minutes, I sat down in the waiting room with four other people. Eventually, the HR woman told us to go in a room where we will be interviewed. Apparently, this was going to be a group interview now, not a one on one. For ten minutes we waited in the room, until the assistant manager for recovery came to interview us.
    He was very nice and seemed young and relaxed. He asked very brief questions about our past work experience, and what is customer service and made us fill out availability sheets. After all of this, he basically said we didn't get the job. He said how they already hired the amount of people they want for seasonal and if there are let go in a month, then we may have the opportunity to fill the position. Also, if there's other departments that have current openings, we may be contacted for that too within a week.

Such a waste of time. If the position is filled, why still interview us and feed us some false hope about potential opportunities? I have a week to wait now if I can get hired, but I'm not holding my breathe.

Bloomingdales Seasonal Job/Holiday Position Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in November 2014.

I filled the application and within a couple of days I was sent a email to set up a date for an interview. The interview consisted of me a 7 other people were were asked five questions. These five questions were.
    -Tell me about yourself and previous experience you had.
    -Tell me a time you went out of your way to please a customer.
    -Tell me a time went to a store and their customer service went of their way to please you.
    -Tell me a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you dealt with it.
    -Tell me which celebrity influenced you or designer in fashion.

Then we were taken back out in the seating area while managers took each one of us separately and asked us questions like.
    -In your previous job experience what did you like the most about the job
    -What did you like the most about your manager and what do you think is a good manager
    -What job do you feel most comfortable doing
    -Why apply to Bloomingdales
    -What times works best for you.

Interview Questions
    • What shopping experience was the most memorable in that the worker went out of their way to service you.   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in November 2014.

This is your typical job interview first you have to apply online. after waiting a few days (5 in my case) you are emailed back to set up your interview. It is a group interview at first then one on one if you impress the interviewers

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, NY (US)

2 step interview process. First interview was a group interview but only one other person showed up so it was easy to explain and answer questions. Second interview was a one on one with a higher level manager.

Interview Questions
    • if you are stuck on a deserted island what two objects would you want to bring with you   Answer Question
    there was none.

Buying Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomingdale's.

I was referred by a professional in the company. After the referral, HR wanted to conduct a 30 minute phone screen. Then I completed an online application, personality assessment, and retail math assessment. After that, I had 1 online interview with HR and another with a professional in merchandising. Process took a few months and HR was nice. They are definitely looking for professional, passionate people.

Interview Questions
    • Initial Phone Screen: General Questions about past work experiences
      First Online Interview: Behavioral Questions & Questions about Fashion Industry (Ex: Favorite designer and why, What weaknesses does your favorite designer have, etc.)
      Second Online Interview: Specific Questions about interest in industry and company
        Answer Question
    No negotiation with salary, no relocation assistance, no housing assistance.