Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated 21 Apr, 2015

3.1

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Sent application at the beginning of december, recieved invitation for phone interview about one month later.
    Phone interview was quite normal, mostly motivational, background and roleplay questions:
    Why financial products and sales? Why not banking? Why exactly this role? Who are bloomberg's competitors? What's the difference between Bloomberg Tradebook and Terminal? What's Bloomberg Vault? What's Bloomberg Government? How many companies are tracked by Bloomberg Terminal (24.000)? Then followed some questiones about me and my studies (i study finance). What's the most common way companies raise capitals? What's the QE? How would you hedge from risks in finance? Than situational kind of questions: How would you sell Coca Cola the terminal? Why would it use a Terminal? Imagine i am JPMorgan and i wanna decrease the number of terminals because Eikon is cheaper, how would you convince me to not do it? Imagine i am an angry customer calling you because I can't find UBS ticker, but you don't have info about me. How would you act?

After two days I received a mail stating I would have been invited to the in-house interview. IMPORTANT: in case you receive this mail, don't feel like you have the job. Almost everybody passes the phone interview. So, it's not indicative whether you nailed it or not.

In house interview: First. arrive on time.. Second, try to get to know people when you get in, but don't stay too far away from where they ask you to wait your interviewers. Be kind, friendly, self confident, and act like a normal person. In the beginning i had to shadow an employee in the analytics office. This people is quite funny and they take it so easy when working. They receive "tickets" (the chat questions from terminal users) and answer right on time. Very nice job by the way. The employee was actually glad to see how many things i knew of the terminal even thought i never used one. Then it came the moment. The interviewers (managers for analytics and sales teams) took me to a room for a 2:1 interview. They started asking: Introduce yourself in one minute; tell me 5 skills you think you built from your past experience; Try to sell me the product you sold in your previous job (yes, it's a call simulation); Imagine i'm a millionaire and i want to use Eikon cause it costs less. Sell me the terminal (other situational question. Remember to leverage on the price-quality standard, but sell your bullets slowly and at the right moment); Who mainly uses the Terminal and why? (than, interview turned from my own language to english) What problems do you think Bloomberg is facing at the moment? (IM messaging replications, Federated chat, Data governance, catch-up from other companies, do your own intelligent search); Why exactly Bloomberg? Why not Banking? What do you think about the actual financial market situation? Where would you invest now? What's the difference between Options and Futures? What is the current American economic situation? What would you look at if you'd invest in bonds? (did not really get what he ment for "look at" because i summed up all Bonds decision theory but he didn't seem convinced...however, might have been my fault). Then the interview got easier, talking about other products of Bloomberg and nothing more. I also asked a few questions at the end. However, I was kinda sure I made it. I was self confident, did a very good research, roleplayed a lot and felt so prepared about anything. Everything worked fine for me. Until the day after, when I received a mail stating "you're no long being considered". Ok. Got it. I did some self-questioning about what possibly went wrong, and here i come to the end of this good (yes, it was positive after all) experience with a few tricks: Don't smile too much. Listen to yourself. Listen to them. Come straight to the point. Be self confident but not too much. Don't bombard them with info you think might be a good mark for you, because they're gonna go deeper (and remember we have limited info about it). Be the best, and remember that you have to sell yourself as a good investment for them. Don't ask about possibility for entering other roles (yes, it might be possible, but i asked if Sales is the only possibility after analytics, and it was the footstep to my doom).

Finally. Don't act too friendly. Be yourself. Or, well, not too much yourself, but the "you" that you think Bloomberg wants. Good luck everybody. I'll try again in July (let 6 months pass, otherwise they won't consider your cv) ;)

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Online app - phone interview (analytics team leader) - 1st In house (sales manager? + analytics team leader) - 2nd in house (uk sales manager + analytics specialist) - final round (european head of analytics)

Telephone interview was really really easy. About 10 min and it was basically the team leader telling me about the firm and introducing herself. 2 hours later I got an email saying I passed, arranged in work shadowing and house interview in a week.

I did not feel that good about my 1st in house interview, but I got really good feedback after that, and I heard back in 2,3 days with an email saying I got invited for another round of interview.

I definitely felt it went BAD for my 2nd house interview but I passed again - sometimes they just grill you a little to see how you react i guess. Got a phone call 2 days after confirming date for final round.

My final round with head of analytics was amazing, she was such an inspiring person and it felt like chatting instead of having an interview. In the end she asked me if I had any questions and my final question was when should I expect to hear back from them and she said Now, YOU GOT THE JOB.

Every single round focused on Why Bloomberg and Why Sales. Need to come across as really passionate about working with people, client management/client service, etc. and that you care about the firm and really passionate about the firm. Prepare these two questions and you got 50% of the interviews.

Other stuff:
    - your experiences/ CV run down: this depends on your experience, they just wanna see what you have done that's going you help you contribute to the firm, what skills you developed - the normal stuff.

- Bloomberg products: I got asked in both in-house interviews how would Bloomberg help an industrial firm. Focus your answer on investor relations, as in, every public firm needs to publish their annual reports through somewhere for investors to see, AND every firm needs to keep track of how their competitors are performing, and Bloomberg provides that. Other than that, talk about risk control and cash management.

- current financial affair: very minimal, occasionally slip in one,two sentences in your answers and they won't ask more. For example, when I was talking about industrial firms can use Bloomberg to reduce foreign exchange risk, I mentioned that the Krona appreciate (that same week )a great deal so a european firm with debt in Krona just lost some money there.

- financial concept: I rated my finance knowledge 5 out of 10, so they asked me to differentiate bond and stock, which was a really easy one. Just be honest, if you don't know it's totally fine.

Interview Questions

• What makes you excited to sell Bloomberg? (I said I never thought about that, she did NOT like that...)
      You know sometimes you don't use FCF for DCF, what *do* you use then? (I said I don't know. He goes, fine.)

Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

3 rounds for the internship: telephone, two individual interviews with two employees. Standard interview questions: motivation, CV, knowledge about Bloomberg, overall economics and etc. Very efficient procedure, friendly staff and appealing work environment. A pleasant experience overall.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2015.

Interview

Very friendly and encouraging Interview. One question I didn't quite understand and she was more than happy to rephrase and ensure that I answer it properly. They Interview process has more of conversation style instead of following a rigid question structure.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg?
      What differentiates Bloomberg from its competitors?
      If a Bank had 300 Bloomberg Terminals, but decided to close down its equity department with 30 Terminals how would you handle the situation?
      How would non-financial institutions use Bloomberg?
      Tell me about a finance story that interests you and explain it to me like I dont know anything about finance

Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Sent an online application, got a phone interview with all the normal questions you get always (why bloomberg?, why this position? who are our main competitors? what about bloomberg's corporate behaviour you like? give me an example of a position of leadership you filled? etc.)
    Phone interviewer was very nice and the whole thing took about 20 minutes. got an invitation for an in-house interview that same day.

Interview Questions

• (why bloomberg?, why this position? who are our main competitors? what about bloomberg's corporate behaviour you like? give me an example of a position of leadership you filled? etc.)   Answer Question

Interview

Phone interview starting with "Why Bloomberg", moving on to a discussion of language features of Java and C++, a question about data structures, then two coding questions on HackerRank. Not very difficult, it was more or less a basic competency test.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

After they reviewed my application which I had submitted two weeks ago, I was invited to a telephone interview.

The interview started with my knowledge about Bloomberg. And the interviewer would like to know why I am interested to the software engineer position. Then I was asked to describe a project in Java and a project in C#.

After that, we entered the technical test phase. I chose Python as my language. He asked me to do some operations on given strings. After that, there were some basic questions on Python language.

The interviewer is quite nice and helpful. I really like him. I made a few mistakes in the coding, but he gave a lot of hints and he was even more patient than me. (I was so nervous when the output was not what I want.)

Now I am waiting for their response.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Bloomberg?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work as a software engineer at Bloomberg?   Answer Question
    • Describe a project that you made.   Answer Question
    • What features have you written in Java?   Answer Question
    • Compute the longest group of characters in a given string. (e.g. Given "aabbbaabaa", the output should be b3, as "bbb" is the longest substring consisting of the same character in the string.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied through the website. I was contacted by a recruiter after about 18 days. This interview was for the software engineering intern position at Bloomberg's office at London. The process begins by a phone interview and then a video conference. If everything goes well, They will get you to London for an onsite interview. Actually I did not make it to the video conference. I was rejected after the first interview although the questions were very easy and I am sure I have answered well because they are pretty standard and basic questions. Also there a couple of HR questions about Why are you willing to work for Bloomberg and So on...

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between c++ and Java? What are the primitive data types in Java? What is the JVM and the Garbage Collector?

Implement a method to decide whether a string is palindrome or not.

1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted application online and got contacted by HR in 4 days. Scheduled a telephone interview with one of their software developers for the next week.

The interviewer was really nice and helpful trying to give me guidance along the way. I picked Java as my preferred language and they didn't ask anything about other languages.

Interview Questions

• What is JVM; What is Java Garbage Collection; Difference between an interface and an abstract class. And did some coding on Hackranker.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Online Application -> Comprehensive phone interview (around 40 mins) -> Assessment day (Presentation, Group Task, Company Tour, Individual Interview)

The online application is easy to make and its really clear. The phone interview was in different languages [ English, French and Spanish], the questions were the basic situational questions, questions about the company, its competitors and main field. Then the interviewer started testing my French language abilities and then connected me with someone else to test my Spanish skills.
    They told me its going to be a couple of weeks until they confirm if I passed to the next stage, which they did after 2 days.
    The assessment day was fun and interactive, full of networking and tours. The group exercise was fun and easy and the interview was comprehensive, with two interviewers. They want to know all about you and how you react in different situations. All in all a good experience.