Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct, 2014
1,873 Interview Reviews

3.1

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

1st interview with HR - phone screening
    2nd interview with direct manager - 45min via phone general questions
    3rd interview with 2 team members - 1h30 talked about why you're interested in the role, why bloomberg, how you can contribute. Pretty straight forward. Do your research beforehand about the company.

Interview Questions
    • Your knowledge of the financial industry and experience within it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Saw posting on campus job site. Was contacted by a recruiter about a week later. Had interview two weeks later on campus. 2hr technical interview

Interview Questions
    • Find the largest gap between two numbers in an array   View Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

Phone interview and in house interview

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was about:
      Tell me about yourself
      Why Bloomberg
      Competitors
      Why finance
      Why Bloomberg Is different
      Latest new

In house interview:
      Sell a bloomberg terminal that someone use reuters
      Example of sales something
      Example of problem solver
      What is bloomberg tradebook and clients
      What is asset management
      Different between option and future
      1 to 10 your finance knowledge please do not say 10
      The las test iPo
        Answer Question

Global Data Interview

First round is a phone interview. Make good preparation and don't be that nervous. Good Luck!!!!!!

Introduce yourself
    why bloomberg
    why global data
    team experience
    innovation experience
    a situation you face difficulties

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

Had an initial phone interview with a HR person and after asking some basic questions about my history and expectations I was told they would get back to me regarding doing at test. They sent me the information regarding the test that evening and I completed it a few days later. I was then told I would be interviewed by 2 engineers again over the phone. Since this was for their database team they ask some questions related to database internals. Specifically, can you explain the life of a query starting from the user issuing the query? This is the only one I really recall since the others were not very significant.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult was the life of query questions which I think I answered fairly well since my last role was as a developer for a major database vendor.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

If you apply through an on campus recruiter, you will first go through an on campus interview most probably. If not then a phone interview. There are a total of about 3 interview, before you get called on site for the final interviews. You get your decision pretty soon after.

Interview Questions
    • Given two arrays of sorted integers, how would you find the minimum difference in O(n) time.   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Had four on-campus interviews following a career fair--three technical and one with an HR guy. I was allowed to use any language. There were six questions. Two were about implementing some common function, such as a String class constructor. One required partitioning a list around a given element. One required merging two schedules that might overlap in some parts into one schedule. The last two are described below.

Interview Questions
    • You're given a binary tree--not necessarily complete or proper--and you need to give each node a "friend" pointer that points to the node to its right in the tree. This node is on the same level but is not necessarily a sibling, which makes the problem a little tricky. The friend pointer of the node farthest to the right on each level should be null.   View Answer
    • You're given two arrays of the same size filled with positive integers, and an integer 0 <= N <= 255. You need to determine whether N can be written as the sum of some number from the first array and some number from the second array.   View Answers (2)

Global Customer Support Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

total of 3 interviews. going from team leaders to team leaders. took about an hour or so. very standard questions that does not require any practicing (strengths, weakness, why bloomberg, where do you see yourself in GCUS in the future, how do you value customer service etc). unexpected role play at the end where you have to pretend the interviewer is a caller that you'll encounter. the interviewers are very friendly and from their reactions, you can't really grasp if they like you or not.

C++ Gateway Developer, Pune, India Interview

I applied on the company website.
    Got a mail stating they wanted a telephonic interview.
    Its a code sharing tool by hackerrank ,”codepair”.
    Where both you and interviewer share screen and you can type the code whatever he asks for
    Interviewer showed up 40 min late and I was about to leave the site, when my phone rang.

Started with basics tell me about your current job, kind of work etc

que 1.
    rate yourself in c++ on a scale of 10.
    I rated 6 and said its complex and hard to master

questions on c++,
    pointer and references , initializer list, static , const ( variables , function etc), copy constructor, assignment operator
    performed averagely in those questions

good question:
    const int p = 10;
    change that value at p by hook or by crook.

gave a wrong answer saying,
    int * test = &p;
    test = 50 ;
    // although this can be done by access memory adresses dirctly using strings and some magic

programming questions-
    you are given an int e.g. 10 represented in binary as 1010 flip the bits (2s complement) to 0101.

first i tried using the not operator dirctly then realized that the total number of bits required is the to be considered here.

coded solution using bool bit[32] and loops , he said he can see what you are doing, and expected a efficient solution.

I was mostly impressed by thier devlopment enviroment they use vi , emacs and linux in development ( which i always wanted to in my job ) none of the MS garbage, that impressed me but sadly i couldn’t impress them.

Interview Questions
    • how does the compiler interpret const keyword and how it can be fooled.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Got a first round interview through school career fair. First round interview was technical from the start, asked for a brief introduction about myself and then went straight to coding. Given a piece of paper and asked to code live. Mostly data structures questions and anything you said to have known on your resume. So hopped from topic to topic based on what you had down as knowing. Second round also very technical was almost 3 hours in nature and very intensive.

Interview Questions
    • Define an algorithm that given a string of words will be able to sort and find most common occurrences of subsequent characters.   Answer Question