Bloomberg L.P.

1,742 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details 1st interview with HR - phone screening
2nd interview with direct manager - 45min via phone general questions
3rd interview with 2 team members - 1h30 talked about why you're interested in the role, why bloomberg, how you can contribute. Pretty straight forward. Do your research beforehand about the company.

Interview Question – Your knowledge of the financial industry and experience within it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details Saw posting on campus job site. Was contacted by a recruiter about a week later. Had interview two weeks later on campus. 2hr technical interview

Interview Question – Find the largest gap between two numbers in an array   View Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics
London, ON

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

Interview Details Phone interview and in house interview

Why finance
Why Bloomberg Is different
Latest new

In house interview:
Sell a bloomberg terminal that someone use reuters
Example of sales something
Example of problem solver
What is bloomberg tradebook and clients
What is asset management
Different between option and future
1 to 10 your finance knowledge please do not say 10
The las test iPo
  Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Senior Software Development Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

Interview Details Had an initial phone interview with a HR person and after asking some basic questions about my history and expectations I was told they would get back to me regarding doing at test. They sent me the information regarding the test that evening and I completed it a few days later. I was then told I would be interviewed by 2 engineers again over the phone. Since this was for their database team they ask some questions related to database internals. Specifically, can you explain the life of a query starting from the user issuing the query? This is the only one I really recall since the others were not very significant.

Interview Question – I think the most difficult was the life of query questions which I think I answered fairly well since my last role was as a developer for a major database vendor.   Answer Question

Global Data Interview

Global Data

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details First round is a phone interview. Make good preparation and don't be that nervous. Good Luck!!!!!!

Introduce yourself
why bloomberg
why global data
team experience
innovation experience
a situation you face difficulties

Interview Question – Use five words to describe Bloomberg   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Financial Software Developer
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details From the online application (bloomberg website) to the phone interview took around 4 weeks (a first interview was scheduled within 2 weeks but the interviewer didn't call so we rescheduled). The phone interview was quite straightforward and I was asked the following questions
1- Kind of a strange question. Generate all 3-digit combinations of 1-9 but not repeats in the sense that if you have 123, then 231, 321, etc. are not allowed. [nested for loops]
2- Reverse a given sentence (no use of library methods, arbitrary spaces between words). Make it faster. [start at the end and find and print words one-by-one].
3- You are given a 3L and a 5L container and unlimited supply of water. How to make 1L?[I found a longer solution but the short on is pour 3L into 5 twice.]
4- A program/algorithm which given mL and nL buckets figures out how (if possible) make kL. [we discussed the solution and the interviewer was nice and gave me a hint. Its a DP problem].

The next day, I received and invitation for on-site interview. The travel schedule part was straightforward and convenient.
I was invited to the NY office. There was a group of around 30 people like me. They hold you for a few minuts to issue a security badge. Then there is a tour about all the 31 or so aquariums and fishes at bloomberg. Eventually, there is breakfast and then the interviews come find you. There is 4 rounds of interview. Rounds 1-2 are technical, 3 is management, and 4 is HR.
Some questions I remember:
1- Find shortest path on a chessboard from low left corner to top right. You can move right and top only and some cells are inaccessible (DFS).
2- You have sorted arrays A and B with sizes m and n. Assume at the end of array "A" you have "n" empty slots. How to merge with minimum number of operations (start at the end instead of beginning). Prove it works (induction).
3- Some runners running in a field with some "k" sensors. We get events of runnings locations. How to print the top "m" runners? (array of lists or hash table of lists depending on the location of the sensors. each list is one sensor). Some questions on how to identify the ordering within each list.
4- CPU Cache implementation. How to implement the least frequently used procedure.
5- Scheduling some jobs over "m" servers. Centralized vs distributed implementation? How to implement.

The management interview was interesting and I liked the two managers. HR was fine too. I did not do any negotiations.

Interview Question – The chessboard problem. I first mentioned BFS and use of a Queue but the interviewer kept asking about some data structure with less memory that I could extract due to the simple structure of the graph. I did not understand what he meant. I eventually mentioned DFS and proved it works uses less memory.
The cache problem took a long time. I kind of though I failed it at some point. I had no prior knowledge of the topic since I am not a CS guy. I eventually, used an array to store the access time to different items and O(n) search through it to find the least frequently used one. The interviewer did not raise the complexity. He wanted me to write code on a paper (which is hard, esp. in C).
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not do any negotiations. I accepted the offer for some time in the future since I need to resolve the visa part.

Editor Interview

Editor
New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview Details The HR people were completely unprepared for the offer discussion and promised benefits that ultimately were not part of the employee package. The hiring and position manager knew very little about the job (she was new to her role). Complete dissonance from outside reputation of company.

Interview Question – Why aren't you staying at home with your children?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR were quite unprofessional.

C++ Developer: Trading Solutions Connectivity and Integration Interview

C++ Developer: Trading Solutions Connectivity and Integration
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details First I received a email scheduling the telephone interview. The interviewer called me precisely at the allotted time. Interview mainly comprised of C++ questions - covering exception, copy constructors, undefined behaviour. There was a algo question regarding finding if two string were anagrams are not. I was giving a step-by-step approach, but the interviewer looked unhappy and he wanted the final answer and he was looking for the precisely the answer he hand in mind. Though he was friendly, he didn't seem to appreciate any "thinking-at-candidate's side".

Interview Question – Find if two strings are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details Lots of tedious online tests before even getting to a phone interview - which was itself another interacitve computer test. It seemed like a lot of trouble considering the job. I find it kind of funny companies like Bloomberg (& Google & M$ et al) go so crazy for difficult interviews for what are basically run-of-the-mill IT jobs.

Interview Question – the usual recursive sorting algorithm question   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't care for the corporate culture

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2011.

Interview Details analyst then moving to sales , financial sales and analytics program , 3 interviews , 1 phone then 2 face to face , mainjly questions about background , why BBG ? why this position ? financial updates on the market ? market players ? etc

Interview Question – how would you react if you boss took your idea and didn t givey ou credit for it ?   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!