Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

149 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  London, ON
Anonymous Employee in London, ON

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

Phone interview and in house interview

Interview Questions
  • The phone interview was about:
    Tell me about yourself
    Why Bloomberg
    Competitors
    Why finance
    Why Bloomberg Is different
    Latest new

In house interview:
    Sell a bloomberg terminal that someone use reuters
    Example of sales something
    Example of problem solver
    What is bloomberg tradebook and clients
    What is asset management
    Different between option and future
    1 to 10 your finance knowledge please do not say 10
    The las test iPo
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

There are four stages to apply for this role:
    1. Online Application
    2. Telephone Interview
    3. Panel Interview
    4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What research have you done lately?
      What is the difference between a forward and future?
      What is the difference between an option and future?
      What would you choose, an option or a future?
      What is an option premium?
      How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

I applied the job on line and received reply next day. The first round is group interview. About one hour company background introduction was given before the group discussion. The group discussion have two sections with 30 min of each. One section is characters ranking of a story. Another is to provide investment advice. You should try to show your professional background and communication skills in limited time.
    The candidate of next round will be noted immediately after the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • To provide investment advice with latest financial news is difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Process in 3 stages: 1. telephone interview, 2. face2face (or video conference) and a 3rd and final face2face interview.

Why finance and why Bloomberg (I studied marketing so it was sort of hard to convince them why I want to go into finance now)? What can Bloomberg give you what other companies cannot give you? Sell a Samsung phone to an iPhone owner and lover. Mention 3 arguments why Bloomberg should take you on.

Telephone interview:
    It is rather short and they are bombarding you with questions just like why Bloomberg, why finance, what does Bloomberg do, who are our competitors, why would a company use a Bloomberg terminal, give an overview over the Ukraine crisis.

1. F2F interview:
    Similar questions as telephone interview, digging a bit deeper. They really want to know why you want to work for them and what your sales and people skills are. If you don't have a finance background be honest and tell them you're not an expert but you are keen to learn and be prepared to answer why you want to learn more about finance! They also ask you about different scenarios at the help desk and how you would handle them.

I am still waiting to hear back from them whether I made it to the 3rd stage or not!

Interview Questions
    • Why finance now and not marketing or communications (which are my degrees)?
      What does Bloomberg give you that another company couldn't give you?
      What other jobs did you apply for so far?

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First round interview was a group interview. The first part starts off with self introduction, where each person has to talk about their background. The team leader then gave a presentation about what the role does and also company information. Then the groups were asked to discuss about how to invest $1M and to link it with a piece of news. After that, the groups had to read a story and rank the characters of the story individually and as a group. The last task is to debate with another group about the ranking of the characters with reasons.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Applied online for a French-speaking position. Process took about a month. Went through 2 steps so far: Phone interview with expectable questions (why Bloomberg? Why not investment Banking?), 1 Video-conference (with prior 30 minutes shadowing) in NY and another one still ahead!
    The people I interacted with so far were extremely nice and pleasant to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • If you get inquiries from a trader, a sell-side analyst and a CEO at the same time. How would prioritize and why?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Straight forward. A few days after I applied online, I got an email to set up a 1st interview with HR. That interview was 10 minutes and basic "why bloomberg?" "why looking to leave current position?". He said someone would follow up for the next round. Next day got an email to set that up. There were probably 50 of us there, we split up and some had a building tour while the others interviewed with 1 sales person and 1 analytics. Mostly fit/behavioral. Then came back a week later to shadow someone on the help desk and do an hour interview with someone in senior management. Offered the next day

Interview Questions
    • Talk about impact Ukraine crisis has on economy
      What are options?
      Mostly fit/behavior
    None

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Applied through my university job page, got an email scheduling a phone interview a couple days later. Took an online test.

First round interview was on the phone, took 20-30 minutes, basic resume stuff, no difficult questions. Enthusiasm and a little bit of homework should be enough.

Second round 'super day', arrived at the 59th st office at 8 am. Office was incredible: massive, futuristic. Particularly impressive was the 6th floor where everyone at the office starts their day - goes along with their whole 'transparency' thing, which I thought was very cool. Also tons of free snacks there. Spent the hour shadowing other analysts with two other candidates for the position, most of the people there were straight out of college, super nice and helpful. One even gave me a good interview tip ("Bloomberg helps bring transparency to the market", enthusiasm). At 9am we were brought into interview rooms.

At 9am I was interviewed by two women, one with several years experience in sales and another with more experience but her title escapes me. The one with experience seemed nice (although it was at times difficult to understand her accent), the other was incredibly rude throughout the interview (picked her nose, bit her nails, stared into space often). I maintained a positive attitude, but the interview consisted mostly of me walking them through my resume, then asking them questions. Interview lasted only 40 minutes (others lasted an hour). Did not feel as if I was given a fair shot, especially when I compared my experience to others who were asked many questions.

Finally we were given a tour through the main space. Tour guide was super friendly and gave us a mini history of Bloomberg. Apparently "Uncle Mike" is around often. We even got to see where they tape the news. Very Cool.

At roughly 11 we got dropped off in the main lobby and were told to wait for an HR person to tell us what to do next. He arrived ~20 minutes later and brought each person over individually to tell us the next step. I was told to leave, and we would be contacted soon about next steps, I didn't stay for everyone, but everyone else that got brought over was instructed the same as me. This being a Friday, I expected a follow up the next Monday or Tuesday. No luck. Emailed the HR guy I was in contact with, but got an auto response about being on vacation. After about two weeks I received an email declining the position. The wait was brutal considering how badly I wanted the position. Wish they had followed up sooner.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Online application, phone interview, video conference interview as I was not in London at that moment, passed to the final interview, which is still ahead of me.

All interviews were with people from the Sales & Analytics team, not HR. The two interviews were quite similar - main emphasis on why Bloomberg, how is it different from competitors, why this job and not bank (I have a degree in banking), then how to sell the terminal to non financial company, how to sell it to a customer if he can get it cheaper from T. Reuters.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was about Bloomberg Order Management System and the use of it by asset/wealth managers i.e.: what happens when I want to invest in a stock, what does the wealth manager do?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

3 part - phone, speed dating style with 2 different representatives, and then last one with a manager. They are looking for very professional people for their customer service team.

Interview Questions
    • A few tricky ones: Sell me your favorite app roleplay ( I suggest rehearsing this ahead of time), tell me 5 things happening in current events, and a few technical questions like what is and ETF? and difference between bonds, stocks, mutual funds and hedge funds.   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!