Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr, 2015

3.1

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

Interview

1st round:
(nothing about the position)
It was a group interview on campus. There was a case and the HR head asked for a group discussion. Since that was a random story, you have nothing to prepare. But make sure you show your best discussion skills and show your team work to the manager.

Then, 3 people from my group had been selected to see the manager right after.

2nd round: Meeting with the manager.
 He asked me about details from my work and volunteer experiences.
Why Bloomberg?
Which sector do I like the most? (I said Fixed income)
Why is it more risky to hold you asset to a longer time horizon?
Why Finance?
Competitors?

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in London, ON

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, ON) in December 2013.

Interview

Phone interview and in house interview

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was about:
      Tell me about yourself
      Why Bloomberg
      Competitors
      Why finance
      Why Bloomberg Is different
      Latest new

In house interview:
      Sell a bloomberg terminal that someone use reuters
      Example of sales something
      Example of problem solver
      What is bloomberg tradebook and clients
      What is asset management
      Different between option and future
      1 to 10 your finance knowledge please do not say 10
      The las test iPo

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Sent application at the beginning of december, recieved invitation for phone interview about one month later.
    Phone interview was quite normal, mostly motivational, background and roleplay questions:
    Why financial products and sales? Why not banking? Why exactly this role? Who are bloomberg's competitors? What's the difference between Bloomberg Tradebook and Terminal? What's Bloomberg Vault? What's Bloomberg Government? How many companies are tracked by Bloomberg Terminal (24.000)? Then followed some questiones about me and my studies (i study finance). What's the most common way companies raise capitals? What's the QE? How would you hedge from risks in finance? Than situational kind of questions: How would you sell Coca Cola the terminal? Why would it use a Terminal? Imagine i am JPMorgan and i wanna decrease the number of terminals because Eikon is cheaper, how would you convince me to not do it? Imagine i am an angry customer calling you because I can't find UBS ticker, but you don't have info about me. How would you act?

After two days I received a mail stating I would have been invited to the in-house interview. IMPORTANT: in case you receive this mail, don't feel like you have the job. Almost everybody passes the phone interview. So, it's not indicative whether you nailed it or not.

In house interview: First. arrive on time.. Second, try to get to know people when you get in, but don't stay too far away from where they ask you to wait your interviewers. Be kind, friendly, self confident, and act like a normal person. In the beginning i had to shadow an employee in the analytics office. This people is quite funny and they take it so easy when working. They receive "tickets" (the chat questions from terminal users) and answer right on time. Very nice job by the way. The employee was actually glad to see how many things i knew of the terminal even thought i never used one. Then it came the moment. The interviewers (managers for analytics and sales teams) took me to a room for a 2:1 interview. They started asking: Introduce yourself in one minute; tell me 5 skills you think you built from your past experience; Try to sell me the product you sold in your previous job (yes, it's a call simulation); Imagine i'm a millionaire and i want to use Eikon cause it costs less. Sell me the terminal (other situational question. Remember to leverage on the price-quality standard, but sell your bullets slowly and at the right moment); Who mainly uses the Terminal and why? (than, interview turned from my own language to english) What problems do you think Bloomberg is facing at the moment? (IM messaging replications, Federated chat, Data governance, catch-up from other companies, do your own intelligent search); Why exactly Bloomberg? Why not Banking? What do you think about the actual financial market situation? Where would you invest now? What's the difference between Options and Futures? What is the current American economic situation? What would you look at if you'd invest in bonds? (did not really get what he ment for "look at" because i summed up all Bonds decision theory but he didn't seem convinced...however, might have been my fault). Then the interview got easier, talking about other products of Bloomberg and nothing more. I also asked a few questions at the end. However, I was kinda sure I made it. I was self confident, did a very good research, roleplayed a lot and felt so prepared about anything. Everything worked fine for me. Until the day after, when I received a mail stating "you're no long being considered". Ok. Got it. I did some self-questioning about what possibly went wrong, and here i come to the end of this good (yes, it was positive after all) experience with a few tricks: Don't smile too much. Listen to yourself. Listen to them. Come straight to the point. Be self confident but not too much. Don't bombard them with info you think might be a good mark for you, because they're gonna go deeper (and remember we have limited info about it). Be the best, and remember that you have to sell yourself as a good investment for them. Don't ask about possibility for entering other roles (yes, it might be possible, but i asked if Sales is the only possibility after analytics, and it was the footstep to my doom).

Finally. Don't act too friendly. Be yourself. Or, well, not too much yourself, but the "you" that you think Bloomberg wants. Good luck everybody. I'll try again in July (let 6 months pass, otherwise they won't consider your cv) ;)

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Online app - phone interview (analytics team leader) - 1st In house (sales manager? + analytics team leader) - 2nd in house (uk sales manager + analytics specialist) - final round (european head of analytics)

Telephone interview was really really easy. About 10 min and it was basically the team leader telling me about the firm and introducing herself. 2 hours later I got an email saying I passed, arranged in work shadowing and house interview in a week.

I did not feel that good about my 1st in house interview, but I got really good feedback after that, and I heard back in 2,3 days with an email saying I got invited for another round of interview.

I definitely felt it went BAD for my 2nd house interview but I passed again - sometimes they just grill you a little to see how you react i guess. Got a phone call 2 days after confirming date for final round.

My final round with head of analytics was amazing, she was such an inspiring person and it felt like chatting instead of having an interview. In the end she asked me if I had any questions and my final question was when should I expect to hear back from them and she said Now, YOU GOT THE JOB.

Every single round focused on Why Bloomberg and Why Sales. Need to come across as really passionate about working with people, client management/client service, etc. and that you care about the firm and really passionate about the firm. Prepare these two questions and you got 50% of the interviews.

Other stuff:
    - your experiences/ CV run down: this depends on your experience, they just wanna see what you have done that's going you help you contribute to the firm, what skills you developed - the normal stuff.

- Bloomberg products: I got asked in both in-house interviews how would Bloomberg help an industrial firm. Focus your answer on investor relations, as in, every public firm needs to publish their annual reports through somewhere for investors to see, AND every firm needs to keep track of how their competitors are performing, and Bloomberg provides that. Other than that, talk about risk control and cash management.

- current financial affair: very minimal, occasionally slip in one,two sentences in your answers and they won't ask more. For example, when I was talking about industrial firms can use Bloomberg to reduce foreign exchange risk, I mentioned that the Krona appreciate (that same week )a great deal so a european firm with debt in Krona just lost some money there.

- financial concept: I rated my finance knowledge 5 out of 10, so they asked me to differentiate bond and stock, which was a really easy one. Just be honest, if you don't know it's totally fine.

Interview Questions

• What makes you excited to sell Bloomberg? (I said I never thought about that, she did NOT like that...)
      You know sometimes you don't use FCF for DCF, what *do* you use then? (I said I don't know. He goes, fine.)

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

First there was a phone screening from HR where I was asked about my interest in the position, Bloomberg, and behavioral type questions about my past experiences. Later that week I got an email asking that I come into their office for a first round in-house interview (aka their Super Day). The super day was intense - there were about 25 of us. They set us up in a large conference room with speed dating type tables. I interviewed with a person from Sales and another from Analytics (each was a half hour long). They asked behavioral questions and some finance questions. Generally they want to get a feel for why you choose Bloomberg. The same day they took us on a tour of the building and showed a brief overview of "the Bloomberg."
    I was asked back for a second in-house interview where I met with a senior sales manager and a senior executive. This final round was much more difficult. They really tested my knowledge of sales and finance.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between sell side and buy side?
      What are the current stories you're following in the market?
      Have you used the terminal before?
      Sell me you favorite app.
      Why are you interested in sales?

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in April 2015.

Interview

After submitting the online application I got an email from Bloomberg a month after about the interview. Before I was confirmed on the interview, I had to provide contact details, graduation date and What I think Analytics was in Bloomberg's perspective. I gave an answer with 2,3 sentences about the role then was invited for an office interview.

It was a group interview with about 10 people and each person had to do a short introduction about themselves, talking about name, school, what they are doing currently and one interesting fact. After that, we were asked to come up with one stock to recommend. But the main purpose of this exercise was to as a group, we needed to ask the interviewer 10 questions and recommend two stocks based on what each of us wrote down for the recommendation and the answer from the questions. So we asked things like "What is the time horizon for the investment?" "What is your risk profile?"

Then each person was given a fairy tale to see rank which character was the most favorable. Then the interviewer asked us to provide a group ranking that does not overlap with any individual's ranking. After that, we were broken up into two groups to debate why the group ranking makes sense or not.

Interview Questions

• Which stock would you recommend with $2million (non-US stocks)   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

First round normal hr questions followed by two round in Bloomberg office. Questions are straight forward with not so much on emphasis. Terminal past experience added more benefit in interview i presume

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied online using LinkedIn and got feedback in about two weeks that I was scheduled for an interview in a week's time. The whole process depends on the availability of the interviewer and interviewee and may take weeks at a time. If you pass the phone interview the next step is meeting the managers and eventually senior staff. I look forward to that.

Interview Questions

• Lead me through your CV? How would you describe what Bloomberg does to someone who has no clue what Bloomberg is?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

phone interview --> interview day (about 30 other candidates taking tour of office and doing two speed dating style interviews with other applicants in the room)--> shadowing of a Bloomberg employee who currently holds position and then meeting with two managers (one sales, one analytics)...mostly behavioral questions about what you've done and if you have previous sales experience. don't say you have interest in anything other than what you're applying for they'll hold it against you if you say you want to be at a big bank, hedge fund, etc.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)).

Interview

Applied to Bloomberg Hong Kong for the Financial Sale and Analytics post -

Online application was quite simple, just basic personal info. and attached CV + Cover Letter.

Then haven't heard anything for a good 2 months until notifying me that they would like to arrange a phone interview. The interview was with someone from the analytics team and he asked questions like:

- Self introduction
    - Why Bloomberg and why Hong Kong?
    - What do you know about the role?
    - Why Sales and Analytics?
    - What is leadership?
    - Give me an example of you using leadership to lead a team to success.

All in all it was quite simple and straightforward. HR contacted me again the next day to arrange 2nd round interview, using a software called Jabber to hold an online interview (because I study in the UK).

2nd round interview (online) was with 2 ladies who both have experience in analytics, one specialised in Fixed Income. This time the questions were much hard and they really drilled down on my answers -

1. Self Introduction

2. Why Bloomberg - I said because I love the diversity and then they said but that's a pretty normal thing in all MNCs, how does Bloomberg differentiate itself from others? So I replied because Bloomberg's diversity breeds innovation, which makes Bloomberg so successful today. Then they asked me for a recent example of Bloomberg's staff being innovative and made significant change - I basically waffled my way through it because I honestly had no idea.

Therefore word of advise here is to BE PREPARED!

3. Tell me what is you biggest achievement so far

4, Tell me one piece of recent financial news - I told them about the SCB's decision to unpeg the Franc from the Euro, causing the dramatic appreciation and its effect. Then she carried on and asked me if I have noticed the change in the Denmark currency too…. which I could not answer properly because it was hardly reported in the news.

5, Role Play - imagine you are the president of a society at your university, and I am a first year, how will you sell your membership to me? - I honestly thought it was a bit silly because people don't 'sell' membership at university… so I was slightly frustrated that I couldn't fully demonstrate my selling skills.

Word of advise would be: Know you stuff, be genuinely interested in finance - otherwise don't apply.