Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014

153 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, ON
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

Phone interview and in house interview

Interview Questions
  • The phone interview was about:
    Tell me about yourself
    Why Bloomberg
    Competitors
    Why finance
    Why Bloomberg Is different
    Latest new

In house interview:
    Sell a bloomberg terminal that someone use reuters
    Example of sales something
    Example of problem solver
    What is bloomberg tradebook and clients
    What is asset management
    Different between option and future
    1 to 10 your finance knowledge please do not say 10
    The las test iPo
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

There are four stages to apply for this role:
    1. Online Application
    2. Telephone Interview
    3. Panel Interview
    4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What research have you done lately?
      What is the difference between a forward and future?
      What is the difference between an option and future?
      What would you choose, an option or a future?
      What is an option premium?
      How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

- online application
    - they got back to me the next day and arrange a telephone interview for 4 days later
    - telephone interview conducted by HR about 20 mins basic motivations and skill questions
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. What skills do you think you can offer?
    3. What does Bloomberg have over their competitors?
    4. When are you available to start if you are successful?
    5. Do you have experience of customer service?

- a week later invited to the 1st in house interview
    (30 min shadowing [use this time to your benefit to ask as many qu's as you can before the main interview as it is not a test!] + 1hr interview with 2 interviewers)
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. What products do Bloomberg offer?
    3. Who are Bloomberg's competitors?
    4. Have you ever experienced a time you could not please a customer?
    5. How has your past experience in customer service relate to what your position entails?
    6. What career path would you like to go down in the future?
    7. Why this position?
    8. What have you gathered the analytics team does from the shadowing you had?

- didn't make it to the 2nd in house interview :'(

The people were nice in general. Interviewers were nice, the man was a bit poker face and drills deeper into the answers you give, the woman was a bit more open, having more of a conversation with you.

Interview Questions
    • 1. How is the Ukraine crises affecting the Mumbai economy?
      2. What effect is the Scottish independence likely to have in China?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

3 round interview, 1 phone and 2 personal at the office in London. They are super keen on how you answer the "why bloomberg?" question. It is expected that your life's sole purpose is to work in financial data providing and that you don't apply to other industries. Only mention competitors for companies where you have applied.

Interview Questions

1,5 years in the analytics department is just not for me. It is basically chating on bloomberg helpdesk for 18 months.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

The recruiter got back to me quickly after submitting my application. I was surprised that it only took 3 or 4 days. It was a very basic interview, she called me on the phone and asked the usual questions like "Could you walk me through your resume?" and "Why do you want to work for Bloomberg?" She wasn't an animated interviewer at all, and I heard it in her voice that she already done a whole bunch of interviews earlier that day. Other than that, the whole thing lasted around 20-30 minutes.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Applied online in early August 2014 and received email 3 days later from HR to get more info from me and for scheduling interview. There's a question in the email "From Bloomberg's perspective what is the Analytics (client services) role", basically they want to screen out candidates who don't understand the role and job duty. Received interview invitation 4 days later.

Group interview, same as what is described in the previous sharing on Glassdoor. Strongly recommend to do some research on the interview process. Lasted for ~2hrs.
    Self intro about yourself, company background introduction with simple demonstration of how to the terminal. Around 15 ppl in my session, divided into 4 group, random seating by yourself.
    1. Character ranking, read a simple fairy tale story and rank the characters with 'the most favorable'. Rank it individually first and come up a ranking within a group.
    2. How would you invest 1M ? support with news. my group talked about e-commerce, bonds, interviewer asked questions.
    3. Debate with another group, based on the ranking in part 1. 30s opening statement by each group, then each group member got a chance to say sth for 30s, 30s ending by each group.
    Since I did research so the interview process and questions are expected. Nothing surprise.
    Shortlisted candidates will receive calls on the following day. Received 2nd interview invitation.

2nd interview: 1on1 with team leader, standard question about the understanding of the role, questions about your CV and behavioural question.

Interview Questions
    • How to invest 1M, test your understanding of financial   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied the job on line and received reply next day. The first round is group interview. About one hour company background introduction was given before the group discussion. The group discussion have two sections with 30 min of each. One section is characters ranking of a story. Another is to provide investment advice. You should try to show your professional background and communication skills in limited time.
    The candidate of next round will be noted immediately after the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • To provide investment advice with latest financial news is difficult.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First round interview was a group interview. The first part starts off with self introduction, where each person has to talk about their background. The team leader then gave a presentation about what the role does and also company information. Then the groups were asked to discuss about how to invest $1M and to link it with a piece of news. After that, the groups had to read a story and rank the characters of the story individually and as a group. The last task is to debate with another group about the ranking of the characters with reasons.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Process in 3 stages: 1. telephone interview, 2. face2face (or video conference) and a 3rd and final face2face interview.

Why finance and why Bloomberg (I studied marketing so it was sort of hard to convince them why I want to go into finance now)? What can Bloomberg give you what other companies cannot give you? Sell a Samsung phone to an iPhone owner and lover. Mention 3 arguments why Bloomberg should take you on.

Telephone interview:
    It is rather short and they are bombarding you with questions just like why Bloomberg, why finance, what does Bloomberg do, who are our competitors, why would a company use a Bloomberg terminal, give an overview over the Ukraine crisis.

1. F2F interview:
    Similar questions as telephone interview, digging a bit deeper. They really want to know why you want to work for them and what your sales and people skills are. If you don't have a finance background be honest and tell them you're not an expert but you are keen to learn and be prepared to answer why you want to learn more about finance! They also ask you about different scenarios at the help desk and how you would handle them.

I am still waiting to hear back from them whether I made it to the 3rd stage or not!

Interview Questions
    • Why finance now and not marketing or communications (which are my degrees)?
      What does Bloomberg give you that another company couldn't give you?
      What other jobs did you apply for so far?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Applied online for a French-speaking position. Process took about a month. Went through 2 steps so far: Phone interview with expectable questions (why Bloomberg? Why not investment Banking?), 1 Video-conference (with prior 30 minutes shadowing) in NY and another one still ahead!
    The people I interacted with so far were extremely nice and pleasant to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • If you get inquiries from a trader, a sell-side analyst and a CEO at the same time. How would prioritize and why?   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!