BlackRock

BlackRock Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated 26 Feb, 2015
Updated 26 Feb, 2015

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

Was invited to do a pre-screening video interview. It's done through a third party site called Montage. Basically, they give you 3 questions and you have 2 minutes to record your answers. It's impromptu but the questions are really easy, they're all behavioral.

Interview Questions
  • What was your favorite class and why?
    Describe a time when you were innovative.
    What have you done to educate your self about the financial market and asset management in particular?

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Summer Analyst Interview

interviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

Got it through my school's career centre. Was for a risk role, but wasn't too quantitative. Wanted to hear lots about what I thought BlackRock does and the risks they faced. Didn't ask me any qualitative questions, not even the walk me through your resume or tell me about yourself one. Never heard back in any form and ended up accepting a position from a different company.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Video Interview with set questions, you are given time before every question begins to prepare notes on the topic. The questions are very simple and average, like why BlackRock, why your division, and a time you overcame a challenge. They are very slow at getting back in between stages, taking weeks /months between applying, interviews, and rejection.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

First round was on a a platform called Montage video, where there was nobody on the other side of the video and you just had to record yourself answering three basic questions. Second round was a video interview with one of the Sales Directors. He asked mostly behavioral questions and asked about a few stories on the market and recent news. Still pretty basic. Then I was called in for a SuperDay at the office, where I had 4 30 minute interviews one right after another. Again mostly behavioral and fit questions, but I ended up talking about news in the markets and specific stocks for a fair amount of the interviews

Interview Questions
    • Tell me where you see opportunities in the market
      What's the difference between a mutual fund and an ETF

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

First you will apply online, after about one week, if you meet the minimum requirements for the position, they will ask you to record montage view. They will ask you several questions and you can prepare for ten minutes and record your answer. If you pass that, you will got a webcam interview. After that is the final round, on-site interview.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

I applied online for the position and received an email a couple of weeks later with an invitation to an assessment centre. It consisted of 1 group exercise with a presentation, 3 one-on-one interviews and a problem-solving skill test. The group exercise wasn't hard and it is really no way to prepare for it. The presentation is 5 mins divided by 3 people so there is really not that much to talk about - be sure to stick to the requirements. Then I got into a room and the recruiters were coming in, one by one, to interview me. There were 3 interviews, each approximately 30 minutes. Very informal and pleasant, although I felt that they all asked me the same questions. Then there was a problem-solving skills test which consisted of 4 mathematical questions that someone read and I had to ask questions in order to get the information I need and solve the problem. It was very unusual and stressful to calculate something in front of the person assessing you, although the interviewer was very helpful. All in all, it was quite informal and pleasant experience. I got a call back the next day around 3 PM.

Interview Questions
    • Why BlackRock, why this role, competency based questions about team work and creativity (very standard), how would you describe a database to a child   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

Asked to record interview questions on a website. 6 questions pretty straight forward about why BlackRock, a time when you used innovation, etc. Then, next round was video conference call with two employees. This was more difficult. More finance based questions and explanation of the markets.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)

interviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

The initial interview was on their montage system where you have to record two responses to prerecorded questions. Those questions were straightforward (Why BlackRock? Talk about a time where you were innovative). The next round of interviews was a skype interview with an employee. It was roughly a 30 minute interview. The questions were mainly behavioral (resume based and personality based) although I was asked to pitch two stocks as well (nothing serious, just two companies and why I liked them). A word of advice, it is always a good idea to have questions ready to ask your interviewer! After a few days I found out I was selected to attend their superday in Princeton. The superday was 4, 30 minute consecutive interviews with different directors and portfolio managers. Again mainly behavioral questions and questions based off of your resume. Be ready to talk about things off of your resume as well. This key to remember in this part of the process is that they want to see that you are sociable, well rounded and someone who they'll want to work with everyday. All around, a fantastic experience and HR ran a very smooth interview process.

Interview Questions
    • What is the current situation in Greece? Why would Germany want to keep Greece in the EU?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

After submission of application, received an invitation three months later for a one way video interview on Montage Talent. Questions were very basic- why did you choose your degree? why blackrock? Then received an invitation for a phone interview with HR. Questions were CV based questions and also tested language skills- Describe a time in which you had to work with people of different cultures? Describe a situation in which you had difficulties with your team and how did you solve your problem? Received an invitation for a technical based interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose your degree/uni?

Why BlackRock?

Why did you choose this position?

How do you keep up to date with the Financial Industry and in particular asset management?

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

Application submission - resume/cover letter through school and website, Initial screening with Montage video recording interviews where you're given impromptu questions online, and have 2 minutes to record your answer. First rounds also online, this time live with an interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • When were you innovative, why finance, why BlackRock, introductory video about yourself
      The Montage system was supposed to facilitate the process, but on the day of the deadline, lots of connectivity issues, which resulted in multiple calls to tech support - annoying problem, but tech people were nice and helpful. No technical questions in the screening phase