BlackRock

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

Interview Details I had a 30-minute on campus interview with one of Blackrock's VP of Sales. This preliminary interview was mostly behavioural in nature. Nothing out of the ordinary - questions were focussed on: your academic background, extra-curricular involvement, why you're interested in working at BlackRock, your strengths/weaknesses.

After this initial interview, I was invited to BlackRock's "Superday" at the local office. I had an interview with four of their employees (all of various tenures/seniority levels within the firm) for between 20-30 minutes per interviewer. Each of these four interviews varied quite a bit. In general, there was still mostly behaviourial with the occasional technical question thrown in. This is probably because the firm evaluates your technical ability with a short test at the end of your interview. The test was a little ambiguous and I was not particularly clear on what was asked. The individual who assigned the technical test essentially told me to look for errors in the tables of data and identify them - that was the extent of the instruction I received. In hindsight, I should have probably spent 30-60 seconds asking the interviewer for some additional details. In general, you should always do this for any of your interviews anyway... the worst that can happen is they'll say, "No". But if they do provide you with some additional details it could make the difference between knowing what is asked of you and confidently tackling the technical assessment or just sitting there feeling somewhat clueless about what it is that you're trying to look for (like I did).

Interview Question – The most difficult questions were the ones that are usually considered challenging for behavioural interviews:
i.e.
What are your weaknesses and what have you done to address them?
Give me an example of a time when you were unable to get buy-in from a superior and/or boss, and how did you respond in that particular situation?
  Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

Interview Details First on-campus interview. The interviewer was really friendly and energetic. Got invited to super day at the Toronto office. Overall no really tough questions. BlackRock really values the 'fit', so make sure to study up on their corporate values and prepare for 2 hours of behaviour questions and some mini case studies during super day.

Interview Question – If you were to form a marketing team, what would you look for?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Interview Details 1st round - phone call from HR
2nd round - VC interview

Was quite rigorous but not many technical questions were asked. mainly background checks and knowing your personality.

Phone call was with the HR manager based in India. She asked basic questions and was rather straightforward.

Second round was a VC interview with a senior associate and a line manager. took about 1 hr for the interview.

Interview Question – What do you want to have achieved after 20 years.   Answer Question

Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details 1st round is Phone call (one manager from ProdOps and one manager from DBA), lasts for 1 hour; and then the second round is video conference, three rounds in total.

Interviewed at BlackRock

Interview Details Interview on campus for the tech internship. The interviewer was friendly, but didn't ask really anything about me, just explained the position and BlackRock. Then we worked through a problem of how I would approach organizing a set of data. Overall, was a good experience, took them a week to offer a second round

Interview Question – How I would set up a set of data to tailor to the client's request?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details I was contacted by my campus recruiter to set up an on campus interview. Interview went fairly well. Questions involved some basic OOP concepts and the use of data structures. Three weeks later, I was called into the San Francisco office for a second round of interviews which went well. Second round consisted of around four interviews and questions were all mostly related to JAVA concepts and general system design.

Interview Question – What is the Dow Jones index at today?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied online and received an email from the recruiter about a week later. The internship position was to be part time in the local office and we scheduled a phone interview in the next couple days.

Phone interview was pretty easy and the interviewer was very nice. Just talked about qualifications and what the job would entail.

I followed up with the phone interview a week later and she told me that I didn't get the position. Though the later steps of the interview process I remember would be two more interviews with one with an actual graduate of my university and another with a manager. Pay was going to be a little low though.

Interview Question – What do you know about BlackRock and asset managed securities.   Answer Question

Wilmington, DE (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in May 2013.

Interview Details Very easy basic sql questions and they help in giving answers

Interview Question – about indexes in database.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

New York, NY (US)

Interviewed at BlackRock

Interview Details First had a 1:1 interview, then attended the Super Day that lasted for four hours (1 group case, then 4 individual intervies)

Interview Question – what's the degree between the short hand and the long hand at 3:15   View Answers (2)

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

Interview Details After resume drop, I received an invitation to an on campus interview. The interviewer was from the local office, though the position was for the NY office. The questions were all behavioral, no technical questions. I had applied to an internship posting for their IR team but ended up with an offer to join a different team.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected or difficult questions. The interviewer first asked me if I knew BLK was not a bank--I think they're used to stupid college kids who don't know what BLK is.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!