BlackRock Intern Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

Interview

I had a 30-minute on campus interview with one of Blackrock's VP of Sales. This preliminary interview was mostly behavioural in nature. Nothing out of the ordinary - questions were focussed on: your academic background, extra-curricular involvement, why you're interested in working at BlackRock, your strengths/weaknesses.

After this initial interview, I was invited to BlackRock's "Superday" at the local office. I had an interview with four of their employees (all of various tenures/seniority levels within the firm) for between 20-30 minutes per interviewer. Each of these four interviews varied quite a bit. In general, there was still mostly behaviourial with the occasional technical question thrown in. This is probably because the firm evaluates your technical ability with a short test at the end of your interview. The test was a little ambiguous and I was not particularly clear on what was asked. The individual who assigned the technical test essentially told me to look for errors in the tables of data and identify them - that was the extent of the instruction I received. In hindsight, I should have probably spent 30-60 seconds asking the interviewer for some additional details. In general, you should always do this for any of your interviews anyway... the worst that can happen is they'll say, "No". But if they do provide you with some additional details it could make the difference between knowing what is asked of you and confidently tackling the technical assessment or just sitting there feeling somewhat clueless about what it is that you're trying to look for (like I did).

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions were the ones that are usually considered challenging for behavioural interviews:
    i.e.
    What are your weaknesses and what have you done to address them?
    Give me an example of a time when you were unable to get buy-in from a superior and/or boss, and how did you respond in that particular situation?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock (Toronto, ON) in March 2013.

Interview

First on-campus interview. The interviewer was really friendly and energetic. Got invited to super day at the Toronto office. Overall no really tough questions. BlackRock really values the 'fit', so make sure to study up on their corporate values and prepare for 2 hours of behaviour questions and some mini case studies during super day.

Interview Questions

• If you were to form a marketing team, what would you look for?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

4 interviews, all competency based. Took place on the same day along side a written question about the motivation to work at the firm. There was also a presentation about the firm from a current graduate in which some candidates let themselves down with unnecessary questions which stood out to the manager.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

I applied online. Then I received email about vedio interview. I was required to log on a system then record interview. There was only two questions. After presented the question, I was given 10 minutes to prepare. First question is why this university and why this major. Second question is why this company why this position.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Applied online. Received a request for a video interview screen. I was given ten minutes to prepare for each question and two minutes to respond. I only had one chance to record each answer. After I submitted the videos, I got an email for a followup interview a couple days later.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a video interview over a skype-like service. They asked me behavioral questions. It was very based on my resume and past experience. I was interviewed by a second-year analyst. I felt like I was under pressure the entire time and she was waiting for me to make a mistake. To be fair, it was one of my first interview experiences so it may have been more difficult for me than others.

Interview Questions

• What is a trend in finance you have been following?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Mostly competency based. Be prepared for standard 'fit' questions as well, and be ready to walk them through your resume. The technicals were relatively straightforward.

Consisted of two 30 minute interviews.

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online and received an email about an interview. Had a phone interview where they asked me some questions about java and a few about how some current events would affect certain markets. Was not prepared for it at all.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

1st round is Phone call (one manager from ProdOps and one manager from DBA), lasts for 1 hour; and then the second round is video conference, three rounds in total.

Intern Interview

Interview

Interview on campus for the tech internship. The interviewer was friendly, but didn't ask really anything about me, just explained the position and BlackRock. Then we worked through a problem of how I would approach organizing a set of data. Overall, was a good experience, took them a week to offer a second round

Interview Questions

• How I would set up a set of data to tailor to the client's request?   Answer Question