BlackBerry Interview Questions in United States

Updated 13 Apr, 2015

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in December 2012.

Interview

Held a company interview at a local hotel to recruit for a new project after layoffs at another company. Went there for several different interviews with multiple managers. After that there were more phone conversations, background checks that had to be done, then the offer letter. All of this took a long time because of the different departments and approvals that these new positions had to go through.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Milford, CT (US)).

Interview

I gave them my resume at a college career fair. They contacted me a few weeks later and set up a phone interview.

The phone interview consisted of a coding problem, which you had to solve using Google docs while the interviewer watches you. The interviewer was very nice and we fixed a couple bugs in my code together.

Next I had an on-site interview which lasted all day. I met with 8 different people from the company for 6 interviews and a lunch period. Almost all of the interviews were technical in nature. This includes coding, drawing software diagrams on a whiteboard, and verbally answering some questions. Once again everyone was very nice and they make it very easy for you to succeed.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Milford, CT (US)).

Interview

I met them at my college career fair. They were recruiting people for their Milford, Connecticut branch. They had a 45 min phone interview where they asked me to type a program in google documents, a basic number to string conversion for the headers in column for microsoft excel, eg A - 1 .. Z - 26, AA - 27 etc.. I did that and they called for an onsite interview. I surprisingly had 3 one to one HR rounds and only 1 technical round (2 interviewers). In the technical round they asked me to code, if given a dictionary as a huge stream (words separated with commas) and a word to search, how would I find it in the stream. According to me all the rounds went fine, so I am guessing my rejection was only based on the fact that I didnt have much mobile programming experience.

Interview Questions

• One question in the phone interview and one in the onsite technical round, but both were easy...   Answer Question

IOT Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry (Irving, TX (US)) in November 2012.

Interview

RIM job fair. only 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• explain an EV-DO call flow. Have you worked with wireshark with QXDM?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Dallas, TX (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

I have applied for the software engineer internship position on the website of RIM, after about 3 weeks, the recruiter contacted me and said that one group wants to interview with me. The phone interview is scheduled about 1 week later.

Interview Questions:
    First part: network related
    What will happen after I open a browser and type www.google.com?
    When I log into gmail or hotmail, how will the server identify you so next time you don’t need to login again?
    What’s the difference between sockets and ports?
    How to check how many sockets are opened in the computer?

Second part: Java related.
    What’s static field?
    What’s static method?
    What’s the difference between overloading and overwriting?
    What’s polymorphism?
    What’s the difference between abstract class and interface?
    Can we instantiate abstract class? Can we instantiate interface?
    What’s the access level in java?
    What’s the finally block?
    Can you give me an example of finally block?

Third part: programming problems
    1. give list1 and list2, suppose they are sorted in ascending order, how to check whether each element in list 2 presents in list 1. What’s the time complexity?

2. Suppose there’s no hashmap class in Java, design your own hashmap class.

3. Give an example where dead lock can happen.

4. calculate the factorial of n.

Software Validation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BlackBerry (Irving, TX (US)) in September 2012.

Interview

Very logical and reasoned process. After phone screen by hiring manager, I was called in for a formal interview by the Development team lead. When I arrived, I found 3 separate team leads and a senior manager. Each had excellent interviewing skills, asking difficult questions pertaining to the position. The questions became more detailed as they attempted to find my technical limits. However, the interview was still concluded within one hour.

Interview Questions

• A question regarding my stance of the balance of product deadlines vs product quality.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was simple, I accepted the first offer as it was handsome and slightly higher than expected.

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry (Milford, CT (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

Had a technical phone interview which included general questions about your resume, puzzles ( One i can think of is: why is manhole round?), products and application. It is better to do research in detail about the company, familiarity with any testing experience before?

Wireless IOT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Dallas, TX (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

It was a telephonic interview before onsite.
    The interview was easy. The interviewer was cool and supportive.
    Most of the questions he asked were from resume. He asked me to explain MIMO, difference between spatial diversity and spatial multiplexing, PAPR in OFDMA, ISI mitigation in OFDM, hidden terminal issue, CSMA CA, difference between TCP and UDP, Active states in bluetooth, DNS call flow.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are from my resume. So it wasn't difficult.   Answer Question

Had another offer.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Chicago, IL (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

There were 2 rounds. 1st was HR round and the questions were directly from resume. 2nd Round was Technical, I was asked questions from my academic projects and basic questions from C++.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in April 2012.

Interview

Phone screening followed by on site interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Can negotiate