Biogen Idec

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Scientist I Interview

Associate Scientist I
Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Biogen Idec in February 2013.

Interview Details I submitted my resume and cover letter through the company's website and was contacted by a recruiter five days later. A phone interview was scheduled for the following week. I spoke to two scientists from the department, and they asked me details about my job duties and experience. A few days later I received an email to schedule a formal interview. It was a half day interview where I met with all of the scientists from the department as well as the VP and department manager. Each interview lasted 30 minutes, and the final 30 minutes of the day was spent having a casual lunch with associate scientists from the department. The scientists and the VP asked standard questions about things listed on my resume as well as general questions about my work experience. Nothing too surprising. The department manager asked about how I dealt with difficult situations from my past jobs. Those questions were a bit trickier but, having taken time to prepare before the interview, it went well. I was contacted with the job offer two weeks later.

Interview Question – I was asked by one scientist to explain to him a specific aspect of flow cytometry to see if I truly understood the concept of this technique.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Coming from academia, my mind was clouded and I was drooling over the initial offer of an industry salary and, like a fool, I missed my opportunity to negotiate. The offer was good, but I regretted not asking for more money. When you get the call with the job offer, wipe that stupid smile off of your face 'cause it's business time.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Biogen Idec

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biogen Idec Associate Scientist I interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Biogen Idec employees and interview candidates.