Bed Bath & Beyond

2.2

Everyone Starts the Same, Cashier, Than Maybe Floor Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dartmouth, NS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dartmouth, NS

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Hiring process, interview pretty simple, training process can be intense, covers every aspect of the company. Looking for positive energetic people, and most of all provide the best customer service. Customer service is the core of bed bath and beyond

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any difficult question, Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    none

Hard Side Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in November 2012.

Job fair for new store. Hired triple the amount of people they were going to keep and during the two week opening process if you didn't make an impression with at least half of the six managers you weren't staying.

Non-existent. Take what they offer or don't take it at all.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in June 2012.

I went in to ask if they were hiring at the moment, the worker gave me an application form to fill out. after filling it out, they had to page the manager down to talk to me (they do this to everyone who hands in an application) the manager briefly looked over my application and resume and asked me a few questions. (why there was such a large gap between my last job and now, and what kind of work i was looking for: PT/FT?) after answering these few simple questions he told me to come in the next day for an interview.
    i went back the next day for my interview and he lead me to his office.
    question 1: why bed bath & beyond?
    question 2: what were my duties in my previous jobs?
    question 3: tell me about a time in which i received great customer service.
    question 4: tell me a time in a previous job where i dealt with a irritated customer and how i handled it.
    question 5: where i would rather work, on the floor or on cash register.
    question 6: 3 words how my friends would describe me.
    question 7: how my previous employer would describe me.
    question 8: if i would be able to handle climbing up a ladder and carrying things down.
    question 9: my thoughts on shoplifting. then what i would do if i caught a co worker shoplifting. then what i would do if i caught a co worker who i became really good friends with shoplifting?
    then she asked me if i had any questions, and to end it off asked for the number of my reference and told me he would contact me tmr if my reference checked out. i didn't get a call the next day so i thought i must have not gotten the job. but the day after that i got a call and he offered me the job!

Interview Questions
    • none of the questions were hard, this was actually a very easy interview and my interviewer was very nice!   Answer Question
    i don't have much experience and i wasn't in a position to negotiate so i accepted the $10.50/hour -- which i thought was good, i thought i was going to get minimum wage!

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Vancouver, BC

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in June 2010.

Standard interview, usual questions.
    Nothing I haven't been asked before.

There were two interviews for a mass hire they would use to open the store. First interview was with a manager, and second was with the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • What was a difficult experience you had with a previous manager?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you witnessed a co-worker stealing?   Answer Question
    They offered me $10/hr (which at the time was $2 above minimum wage) and explained that it would be guaranteed shifts for the first 2 weeks during a store opening and that I may not be kept past that.

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

First interview was with the HR manager for the district. Second interview was with the District manager. Conversations center on your ability to think on your feet, and guest service. They are a very decentralized company, managers are expected to make decisions on there own using there experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you know about the company? Important to do your research, conveys your passion, and commitment.   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

So I was really excited to go on this interview with Bed Bath & Beyond. I completely dedicated a work day of 8 hours of 7 people interviewing me. After I completed the interviews, HR said they will let me know within a week. He ensured me that he will contact me regardless of the outcome and provide me feedback. After 2 weeks I had sent a follow up email, no answer. 3 more days I had called and left a message. (while I can see the actual HR recruiter active on linked in- I know he is clearly near a computer.)

Overall- I felt like they were extremely disrespectful and unprofessional. 1 star

Front End Lead Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I had to literally do 3 interviews for an eight dollar per hour starting position for the job. I should have known the position's work would far exceed what was actually compensated for based on the number of interviews I went through. It's ok as starting job but moving up in the company is sheer luck.

Interview Questions
    • My most unexpected question was what would I say to the customer who wanted to buy a horse.   View Answer
    $8.00 is the most they will start out at. I requested $7.75 but my reference was so good that they started me out at 8 no questions asked.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union, NJ (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Very long and drawn out. Took about two months from first phone call to hear back. Then it took another two months to get an in person interview. But once they decided I was given one weeks notice of the date Both in person interviews were all day and nobody thought to offer lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Was I willing to work a regular eight hour day?   View Answer

Get everything up front and in writing. everything was great until the offer. At that point they really nickled and dimed me. No bonus structure but some stock that nobody could really explain. Relocation package was not good. Moving would have cost me money. From talking to potential peers I got the impression that they micromanage everything from work hours to lunch items.

Director Interview

It was nothing but constant rescheduling at the last minute after I had scheduled my day to accomodate them on many occasions. This went on for 4 or 5 times and then they simply weren't available when I arrived for the interview. If this is how they treat you during the interview process, it has to be a nightmare working for them. I have a nice income and whatever they offer in the stock options that no one could seem to explain seemed like a way to try and hire expensive talent for less than fair market value. Who in their right mind would relocate for this kind of nonsense. They were extremely unprofessional and disrespectful. I have a leadership role and to expect me to constantly turn my schedule upset down to accomodate someone who is "busy" or in a meeting that is running late is ridiculous. I'm in meetings too and I'm busy, but I'm a professional and I know how to manage my time. I feel for the people that work at their HQ, I have no doubt it is a dysfunctional environment.

Interview Questions
    • What questions? All they did was schedule and reschedule interviews and then when they finally confirmed the time, they stood me up.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Short and simple nothing too complicated general background, showed up business casual interviews and hired on the spot with a few others, no reference or background check, a week or so training on procedures and products and another week floor training