Barnes & Noble

Average Difficulty
284 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cafe Server

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Interview Details Applied in August 2014 online, contacted within one week by the Cafe Manager and was told to come in for an interview the following week. Arrived 15 minutes early and reported to the cafe area, had to wait as he was busy with another interview. Had to wait a few more minutes as he gave instruction to a employee. Did not notice I was there until pointed out, went through the interview process but he had to leave in the middle of a question to handle a phone call. Finished the interview (about 20-25 minutes) and was told that he would give the information to his store manager. Did not receive a call back but a standard interview overall.

Interview Question – Standard questions: Why do you want to work here? How do you handle mistakes? What kind of coffee is your favorite? etc...   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Buyer
Basking Ridge, NJ (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Interview Details I got an email from HR assistant. Scheduled the first onsite interview without any phone interview. The interview is less than an hour. The hiring manager is fine but the reception and HR is indifferent.

Eugene, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Interview Details I received a phone call from the lead server about 3 weeks after applying for the job, and was asked a few basic questions right away. (why did you apply for this job, why Barnes & Noble, etc.) At the end of this call, we scheduled an in-person interview two days later.

The in-person interview was very informal, and the lead server just interviewed me right in the store cafe. The questions were pretty straightforward and were mostly focused on how I would provide good customer service, or how my previous employment made me a good fit for the position. Some questions were a bit odd though, and the interviewer seemed really skeptical about whether I really wanted the job or not (I did). Overall, I got the impression that he didn't particularly want to be doing interviews at the time.

After the interview, which lasted about 20 minutes, he said that he would be interviewing 3 other candidates during the week, and that he would let me know within a few days whether I had made it to the next round of interviews. It's been about 3 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep.

Interview Question – How would you help to make our many regular customers feel welcomed and comfortable?   Answer Question

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

Interview Details First interview was very standard. Dress business formal/casual. They had the standard scenario questions and to get a feel of who are you as a person. The second interview, with the store manager, was more of the same. Both interviews seemed to want to make sure you were a good fit with the company and that you had some rudimentary knowledge of retail/customer service.

Interview Question – Nothing that stood out--there was the standard of dealing with an unhappy customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate. In fact, I had to lower my expectation for hourly wage despite my years in retail.

Book Seller Interview

Book Seller

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details I first applied online for the position of book seller and I was contacted by the manager for an over the phone interview a little less than a week later. We spoke for ten or fifteen minutes, with her asking questions like "what makes you a good fit?" and "why this company?" before she asked me to come into the store for an in-person interview. It was very informal and made me feel at ease, which I liked. The face to face interview was generally the same type of questions, but by a different person (another manager I believe). Unfortunately did not get the position, but the whole experience was not unpleasant.

Interview Question – what makes you trustworthy?   Answer Question

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details This was your typical interview. I greatly appreciated having the interview in the Cafe, it provided an anxiety free setting for an interview. Most of the questions were based on my former employments. They wanted to know how you handled customers in specific situations, and how your past employment experiences would transfer to BN. They also asked me what I typically read, and what I was currently reading.

Interview Question – In your previous job, describe a situation where you had to deal with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Interview Details Process took 13 Days
I applied on a Wednesday. I really wanted the job so I called the next day to make sure they got my application. I got a call that Sunday from the manager. We did and over the phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes. I was then asked to come in for a one on one interview the very next day.
I came in and met with the assistant manager. She was very kind and we sat in the café. It was a very informal interview. She asked me general questions, nothing to difficult. At the end she told me I had gotten the second interview, and that I just had to wait for them to call and schedule it. I got a call that Wednesday and went for the interview the following Thursday. It lasted about 30 minutes. More generic questions like how have you dealt with an angry customer.
I got a call that Monday offering me the position.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable with upselling?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but some barnes and nobles do a review every few months where you are eligible for a raise

Very Easy Interview

Part-time Bookseller Interview

Part-time Bookseller
Aurora, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Interview Details Filled out my application online; went into the store the next day to introduce myself to the manager. When I go there the manager came out and said he was literally just looking at my application, so it was really weird that I was there. He then asked me to come in for an interview the next day. I went in and interviewed with the assistant manager. The interview took place in the cafe and was very laid back. I actually wasn't nervous at all; unlike other interviews I've been too. The interview only lasted about 15 minutes. She asked some basic questions like "What's your favorite book", "Why Barnes & Noble", "What electronic device can you not live without and why", "What's your availability", "tell me about yourself..." etc. and then told me to call her on Tuesday (interview took place on a Thursday). Monday morning I got a call from the manager offering me the job and we set up an orientation that Thursday. My first day of work was the next day.

This is my first job and I absolutely love it.

Interview Question – Tell me about a new skill you had to learn and how you achieved it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation; told me the pay was $8.25/hr. Turns out it's actually only $8/hr but he gave me $8.25 anyway. Said if I had retail experience we would discuss raising the pay rate, but I didn't so I was fine with what he offered.

Gaithersburg, MD (US)

Interview Details Received a call to schedule an interview after applying online - took about a week. Interview was informal but pleasant, spoke to both the cafe manager and the store manager, each for about 15-20 minutes. Received an email in a few days informing me that they would be hiring other individuals. Overall experience was not at all unpleasant or difficult; though I was not chosen to be hired, I was not left bitter at all.

Interview Question – What makes you a good fit to work here?   Answer Question

Metairie, LA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Interview Details Two phone interviews followed by two in-person interviews (for a part-time entry-level position.) Everyone was very nice, but frankly they seem to be expecting too much for an $8/hr position. They act like they are interviewing you for a corporate job.

Interview Question – How you would sell a membership   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation offered. They also stated that I would be working 15 hours/wk and changed it to 22 without consultation.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!