Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lincolnshire, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincolnshire, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online. I had a phone screening with one of the merch managers before setting up an in person with the assistant store manager. Interview went really well and we set up an interview with the store manager. In the mean time they ran a background check on me and contacted my references. By the time I had my final interview they said they were ready to hire me but had only been able to talk to one of my references. I gave them another name and within a half hour I was hired!

Interview Questions
    There wasn't one. They offered me the standard starting pay

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spartanburg, SC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spartanburg, SC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2014.

I had 2 interviews and they said they liked me, but they had other candidates to interview and would get back to me the following week. When I didn't hear back I stopped in and asked if they had selected their candidate and they told me they still had more interviews and their computer systems were down. They told me that I would hear back Friday. I get an email Saturday night saying I didn't get the job. This whole experience has been a complete waste of time. They could have told me that day I came in or over the phone I didn't get the job and explain why. Email rejections to me are very vague and also inconsiderate. I will not be applying to anymore jobs with Barnes and Noble. They have officially lost my respect and they have lost me as a customer.

Interview Questions
    • Why have you chosen now to apply for a job with us?   View Answer

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Asked me what kind of books I like to read, my leadership experience, and an example of how I handled a difficult situation. One-on-one interview, called my current employer as a reference. Only had one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Loved the "what types of books you read" question.   View Answer
    Accepted as seasonal for the summer than hired as part-time

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Applied online, and was contacted by the hiring manager about a week later. After a brief phone screening in which I proved I was interested in books and was not an idiot, I was asked for an in-store interview. Atmosphere was very relaxed, and everyone was very nice. A few days later, I was asked to fill out information for a background check, and a couple days after that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Was told the rate for the position.

Cafe Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview process was incredibly easy. All the usual questions were asked- 'what would you do if you saw a coworker doing something incorrectly?' 'describe a time you went above and beyond to provide excellent customer service' etc...
    You are interviewed by the cafe manager and then either the SM or one of the ASMs. The whole process from applying to being notified that I was hired took about 3 weeks.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Citrus Heights, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2014.

I sent in an electronic application with my resume. I have no prior work experience, but some volunteer work. A week and a half later, I received a call from one of the managers who gave me a quick interview. He just asked if I was okay with minimum wage and 16-20 hours a week. We set up an interview in two days. I arrived and he was a bit late coming back from lunch, but was very apologetic about it. The interview was very short, and he said he would call about a second interview if he was interested. Four days later, he called and said a second interview wasn't necessary and that I was hired!

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

I applied online and was called the next day to schedule an interview the following week after a very brief phone interview to make sure I fit the position needs. I know this normally isn't the case but I'm sure it depends on the timing, I know I normally would not be the first called because I have little to no paid work history. I arrived about five minutes early for the interview and was offered a drink which was used later in the interview. I was interviewed by the Cafe manager and the questions were fairly easy, a lot of them being situational (i.e. asking how I would handle stressful situations and how I would work with a team or build relationships with others on a team). After the interview with the cafe manager, the store manager came and asked me a lot of similar questions also about teamwork and my volunteer work because I had very little work history. One of the questions was also about how I fixed a mistake I made. I was also asked for references so make sure you have some ready! My people told me they actually did check in just to make sure I wasn't lying about my volunteer stuff. I got a call two days after my initial interview offering the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    Not much to negotiate because this is my first job

Cafe Server Interview

Applied in August 2014 online, contacted within one week by the Cafe Manager and was told to come in for an interview the following week. Arrived 15 minutes early and reported to the cafe area, had to wait as he was busy with another interview. Had to wait a few more minutes as he gave instruction to a employee. Did not notice I was there until pointed out, went through the interview process but he had to leave in the middle of a question to handle a phone call. Finished the interview (about 20-25 minutes) and was told that he would give the information to his store manager. Did not receive a call back but a standard interview overall.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions: Why do you want to work here? How do you handle mistakes? What kind of coffee is your favorite? etc...   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Basking Ridge, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I got an email from HR assistant. Scheduled the first onsite interview without any phone interview. The interview is less than an hour. The hiring manager is fine but the reception and HR is indifferent.

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eugene, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

I received a phone call from the lead server about 3 weeks after applying for the job, and was asked a few basic questions right away. (why did you apply for this job, why Barnes & Noble, etc.) At the end of this call, we scheduled an in-person interview two days later.

The in-person interview was very informal, and the lead server just interviewed me right in the store cafe. The questions were pretty straightforward and were mostly focused on how I would provide good customer service, or how my previous employment made me a good fit for the position. Some questions were a bit odd though, and the interviewer seemed really skeptical about whether I really wanted the job or not (I did). Overall, I got the impression that he didn't particularly want to be doing interviews at the time.

After the interview, which lasted about 20 minutes, he said that he would be interviewing 3 other candidates during the week, and that he would let me know within a few days whether I had made it to the next round of interviews. It's been about 3 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help to make our many regular customers feel welcomed and comfortable?   Answer Question

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!