Barnes & Noble

Updated 15 Feb, 2015
Updated 15 Feb, 2015

2.3

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied in person in the store and I included a nice looking resume with my application form. I got a phone call a few weeks later asking me to come in for an interview. The interviewer was nice and professional. I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a review of my resume and making sure that I am professional and interested in the position.   Answer Question

Merchandising Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2015.

The whole process, from submitting my application on, took about a month. Which is the only downside.

A week and a half after submitting my application, I got a call for an interview with the store manager, which was scheduled for the next week. A couple days after that, I scheduled an interview with the DM, which was scheduled the week after that.

Both interviews were your basic "tell me about this job" and "what would you do in this scenario" kind of thing.

A week or so after my second interview, I was emailed my background check form and they started calling my references. A little less than a week after that, I was offered the job at more than they originally said they would pay.

Interview Questions
    There was no need to negotiate. They came out of the gate with more than I was expecting for this position.

Bookseller Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interviews are easy as long as you are polite and concise. Must be able to hit the ground running because there will be very little training/cross training. Management is strict on membership sales depending on which store you are hired at.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?

Pick a book before going in and be enthusiastic about reading regardless of your preference.

View Answer

Barista Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Filled out an application online, then had an in-person interview with the manager. I initially wanted the position as a bookkeeper and submitted applications for them both, but I interviewed for the barista position in hopes of later being able to cross train.

Decent company with decent employee perks, obviously not the best pay (minimum wage). Seemed to be a positive, team-oriented company with lots of friendly co-workers.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about myself and a few other questions, nothing too personal as I think she was trying to hire someone quickly. Said she'd get back to me as she had a few more people to interview, and then offered me the job and invited me for a training session by the end of the week.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Starting salary of $7.50. No tips.

CMBD Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview process so far has been extremely positive. I applied online and about two or three weeks later I recieved a call requesting an interview. I accepted and within two days had two interviews, one with the store manager and one with the sales manager. Both were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • I think the hardest was about the Nook because I don't know much about Nook.   Answer Question

Book Seller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The first interview that I went through was pretty casual. Very general questions and conversation including things like "what's your favorite book?"
    The second interview with the main store manager was a little more formal and in-depth.

Head Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online. Received a call back 2-3 weeks later. Went in for an interview a few days later. Interviewed with General manager and assistant manager. A lot of questions regarding where I planned to be in the next few years and whether or not I would be an asset to the company. Received a call the next day saying I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. Usual interview routine.   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was initially hired as a Seasonal Hire, but was retained as a part time employee. The interview was, surprisingly, stereotypically straightforward. The questions included:

1. Why do you want to work at a bookstore?
    2. What do you imagine working at a Bookstore to be like? ( The correct answer is not just recommending books, but stocking books, organizing displays, sales, etc.)
    3. How would you handle a disagreement with a coworker or a manager?

Interview Questions
    • Customers often come up wanting help finding a book they do not know the title of and that they heard about somewhere. How would you help them?   View Answer
    There was no real salary negotiation. Salary didn't come up during the interview.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The secretary called me and was very nice and told me to come in that week for an interview. I went and was interviewed by the district manager. He under cut my current salary and that was it.

Merchandise Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

After submitting application online, I was contacted 4 days later about an interview. Interview was scheduled for the following day with an Assistant Store Manager.

Arrived at location and checked in as instructed. Stood around for several minutes before was greeted by the ASM.

Interview was the standard "Tell me about a time..." That you exhibited x competency as a manager in your past. This interview lasted about an hour. She wanted me to stay for a 2nd interview with the Store Manager so I sat waiting in the café area for another 20 minutes. The Store Manager came and asked more questions. "What made you apply for Barnes & Noble?" And the like.

Will possibly be contacted in the next week and a half for a peer interview and district manager interview if they are interested. Will update review after those happen.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you delegated a project to someone   Answer Question