Barclays Capital

Updated 14 Dec, 2014
Updated 14 Dec, 2014

3.1

Finance Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barclays Capital.

1. Online Application
    2. Online Test: Numerical and Verbal
    3. Telephone Interview: Competency Based
    4. Assessment Centre: Full Day. Case study, technical interview, competency interview, team exercises.
     Overall impression: Very friendly and helpful recruitment process.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Since I came from an engineering background with no finance experience they asked me what mathematical model can I use to describe a financial concept of my choice.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Applied for interview through corporate site, and had an interview the next week. (Phone interview) Advanced to the final round in NYC and will have that round tomorrow, will update once I experience it.

Interview Questions
    • I saw you worked at another XX (Bulge Bracket Firm), why come to Barclays?   Answer Question

Graduate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Barclays Capital.

The first stage comprised the standard psychometric tests- Numerical and logical, and thereafter if you pass the test, you will be invited for a phone interview.
    After the phone interview, an AC will be scheduled.
    Overall, the process was rather long. The AC was fun and the atmosphere was good.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was predictable. Mostly competency questions.   Answer Question

After reading on the other reviews as well as speaking to industry professionals, I realized that the salary progression is really low despite the high starting salary. Job security appears to be low as well, even though it offers a thorough training.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Barclays Capital in December 2014.

Applied online for the summer internship in IBD with Barclays Singapore (coming from a semi-target US school). Within 2 weeks, got invited to one-on-one phone interviews with 3 people (1 analyst, associate, and assistance VP). The AVP gave some good behavioral questions. Coming from a non-finance/business/econ background, the other 2 interviewers pushed me with some difficult questions trying to see how much I knew. Got invited for a 'informational meetup' which is the 2nd round interview at a US office. This was a one-on-one interview with two different bankers from Asia who were visiting a US office. HR said there would be a final round interview at the New York office. Got an email that I didn't make it to the final round.

Interview Questions
    • What is goodwill? How do you calculate WACC? What is the cost of equity? If you were a CEO of a company that made apples and revenue went down 25%, what would you do?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Barclays Capital.

I applied online, then invited to the phone interview. There were only competency based questions. They are highly focused on their company value and ethics. Interview conducted by HR (or even outsourced). They won't explain the questions but will only repeat the questions for you. Last for 30 minutes and I was asked around 10 questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you understand our company value?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Barclays Capital.

The hiring process took a long time. Interviews were not bad at all. I was able to bypass most of the process through keeping in constant contact with my hiring manager who then basically considered this correspondence as an interview, life is an interview after all =). Make sure to stay current on financial news, know the company's strengths/weaknesses, be able to sell yourself, research and learn as much about your position as possible.

One could probably negotiate as competitors in the area pay slightly more. However, take into consideration that you will likely get 10+ hours of overtime every week which adds an extra 10-20k to the base salary.

Operation Summer Interview

Online application and assessment with shl and verbal test. Phone interview pretty standard. One-day assessment centre with group exercise, case study and one face-to-face interview which was competency based. Also there were paper tests similar to the on-line ones.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me three major events going on in the world at the moment and how it could affect Barclays   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Barclays Capital.

First round interview: On campus
    1. Why do you want to be a trader
    Second round interview: Barcap NY office
    - Two 30 min interview
      First: Behavioral Interview
      Second: Some mental math / probability
                    Simple questions about market

Interview process is very straightforward. As long as you can explain why interested in trading, you will easily pass on to the final round

Interview Questions
    • 1. Estimate sqaure root of 1000
      2. What do you think is the most important

Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Barclays Capital.

First stage is done via Online application and Online tests. If you passed it, you will be invited to a 30 mints telephone interview. It took me about a month till I was invited for an interview since I completed the online tests. The last stage is the Accessmen Center including numerical test and 1:1 interview. The very next day I got an offer but a few other people who were at the same accessment center got offers after 3-4 days.

Interview Questions
    • They asked questions about your ethics and what you would feel in certain situations.
      E.g. How would you feel if your friend behave unethically?

Answer Question

Junior Portfolio Manager Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barclays Capital.

The interview process begins with a preliminary phone interview then progresses to a case interview. Behavioral interviews are relatively straight forward. They ask about your personality and how you'll handle stressful situations. The interview process involves a second interview which has you compete with others by review a company's financials and making a report and then recommendation on appropriate actions give its standings.

Interview Questions
    • It was very conversational. There were no curve ball questions. It was targeted to see if you're a balanced person and had experience in portfolio management. Questions were similar to "what have you been doing lately?" "What does your experience tell me about your personality?"   Answer Question