Banana Republic

Getting the Interview

149 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Burnaby, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2014.

Interview Details I attended the interview last week. It's my first English interview and also my first group interview. Therefore, I was really nervous.
However, it's very interesting and not really terrible as my prediction.

The manager is a Canadian man. There was only one candidate. No other people there because they all cancel the meeting in the final minute.

In the beginning, the manager explained what they are looking for and what the responsibility about the job is. Then he asked three questions which are:
- Why banana public?
- Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
- Tell me a situation that you had heard and you solve by using your abilities.

It's a little bit hard for me because sometimes I cannot catch what he said. (Actually, his questions were not so ESL style. XD) But even though I answered very messy, he still said awesome or fantastic in every stop. It let me be more confident to face the following questions.

In the second part, we had a role play. Each people came to one room, look around all the stuff and try to meet customers' best needs. Well, I don't think I made a good decision in the clothes matching, but I did my best to answer his questions in a short time.
I've learn a lot from that interview and really appreciate that the company gave me the opportunity.

After I got a "thank you but sorry" call, I asked the manager what I can improve for the future. He
s really nice to invite me to interview again if they have any opening position in the future. I do really like the company and the friendly hiring manager.

Interview Question – Tell me a situation that you had heard and you solve by using your abilities.   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details Got called in for an interview after applying almost a month ago. They only asked three easy questions and then did a role play, where I had to pick out an outfit to attend a graduation ceremony.

Also, for the questions, they want you to describe a specific situation, so don't be vague or generic.

Interview Questions

Mississauga, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in October 2012.

Interview Details I applied online in the summer, went through that whole annoying Taleo questionnaire and didn't hear anything back until about 2 months later. I received an email from Gap Inc. saying to call the manager for an interview if I was still interested. I did, and she asked me if I was available the coming Saturday at 4, so I said yes. I got there, she wasn't ready yet, so I was asked to just look around the store until she came out. Then I noticed there were other people my age walking around with report covers in their hands and I realized it was a group interview. I started to panic. No one had told me, so I had the initial impression that it would be one-on-one with the manager, which I would have preferred. It wasn't. There were 7 OTHER CANDIDATES. Very unprofessional of Banana Republic Square One. Also, the interviewer was rude and awkward. You'd think she would have looked at my resume, but I guess not, as she proceeded to ask questions about customer service experience, something I did not have, forcing me to make scenarios and examples up as to not embarrass myself in front of the other (far more qualified) candidates. Half way through the interview I literally wanted to get up and walk out. She said that if we have good references that we can expect an email within 3 days, but if not, they would not be taking the hiring process any further. It was my third interview and by far the worst. I do not even wish to work there anymore. Everyone is very superficial. Long story short: don't apply if you do not have prior experience. This interview will be hell for you.

Interview Question – Describe the last time you struck up a conversation with someone you didn't know.
Describe a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.
What is your approach to handling many customers at a time?
Which particular item in the store would you like to sell and why?
Describe a time (at work or in school) when you had been given little direction on a project.
  Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2012.

Interview Details After applying online, I received a callback from HR and was scheduled for a group interview. The group interview consisted, primarily, of "on the job" questions. After that, I was called back for a in-store interview. They asked me to run around the store and pick items for the manager to wear to an interview (pretending she was a customer) and tell her why she should buy them. Something that made the second interview a little annoying was the fact that there were several people in the store doing the exact same thing.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

North Surrey, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2011.

Interview Details Few weeks, after I applied online, I received a call from the Assistant Manager, she mentioned about the interview for Saturday (today), so I went there. Meeting both the Assistant Managers (Women and Men's Department) was a great experience, they were very welcoming and friendly. I was asked simple questions, like 'what was the best and worst customer service you have received?'; 'Tell me about yourself' and 'What did you like BEST about your previous job?'

Truth be told, I am NOT sure if I will get the job or not, but I just wanted to say, that the experience was amazing. I wouldn't mind doing interviews every day, if the interviewees are like the Assistant Managers of this company.

Interview Questions

• What was the best customer service you have received?   View Answer
  • What was the worst customer service you have received?   View Answer

Glendale, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2011.

Interview Details I applied online and was contacted quickly after for the interview and it was really easy, typical interview questions regarding work experience (I had none and still got hired), how you interact with others in the work place, etc. The interview was extremely easy for me and I just met with the GM of the store and she interviewed me. I found out i got the job the same day and started quickly.

Interview Question – None really too difficult, general interview questions to be honest   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online. Got a phone call 5 days later asking to come in the store for a group interview. Interview was held the next day. When I arrived at the store, I was told to wait in the men's dept. Two other people were in the interview. I was interviewed by 2 women. I was the only female candidate. The two women were very nice and easy going. Made everything go smoother by saying "there are no wrong answers" (haha). All took turns going around table answering questions. Every two questions or so you should take initiative in answering the question first. Interview lasted about an hour. Was told that they had another set of interviews tomorrow, but we would go through a background check, and if that cleared and they liked us then we would hear from them. Got a call about 5 days later offering a position.

Interview Question – About 5-6 typical questions, but At the end, unexpectedly, the interviewer told us we had a ten minute activity to do. We had to go out on the floor and then approach them as if they were a customer, trying to get them to buy something or help with something.   View Answer

Braintree, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2011.

Interview Details Applied online, Got a call on Monday, Interviewed in person the following Thursday and got hired the next Monday.

Interview Question – What are your feelings about the Gap brand?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2010.

Interview Details Group interview, but depending on store, can be 1:1. Answered a few easy questions about customer service and that was it. Some stores have second interview to role play.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details Main focus was on the ability to sell a credit card.

Interview Question – Where do you get your style inspiration from?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Banana Republic

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banana Republic Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 149 interview reviews posted anonymously by Banana Republic employees and interview candidates.