Banana Republic Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated 12 Oct, 2014

2.2

174 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Went to a job fair and handed in my resume. Everyone was given an on-the-spot interview which was fairly easy. The managers were very kind and welcoming. I was interviewed by the GM and was then passed onto the next GM. They asked typical questions like "Tell me about yourself", "Why do you wanna work here", "What traits do you have that make you the best candidate" and so on. The interview took about 10-15 minutes. The next day the GM called me to tell me that I got the job.

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

I applied online and Store manager called me after about 2 weeks. She asked me if I am still interested and my availability, if I can work in early morning shift sometimes (around 5 a.m) and set a time for interview in 2 days. The interview was one-to-one and took around 1hour including general questions, situational questions and role play. After the interview she asked for my references. They call me one week after interview and offer me the job.

Interview Questions
    • - What did u like and do not like about your last two jobs? (separate)
      - Why banana public?
      - Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
      - When were you given a task with little or no direction and what did you do?
      - Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.
      - What is the process of making decision for you.
      - Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
      - Tell me a time when you initiated a conversation with a stranger?
      - What did you like and do not like in your past 2 previous time?
        Answer Question
    nonnegotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic in April 2014.

I attended the interview last week. It's my first English interview and also my first group interview. Therefore, I was really nervous.
    However, it's very interesting and not really terrible as my prediction.

The manager is a Canadian man. There was only one candidate. No other people there because they all cancel the meeting in the final minute.

In the beginning, the manager explained what they are looking for and what the responsibility about the job is. Then he asked three questions which are:
    - Why banana public?
    - Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
    - Tell me a situation that you had heard and you solve by using your abilities.

It's a little bit hard for me because sometimes I cannot catch what he said. (Actually, his questions were not so ESL style. XD) But even though I answered very messy, he still said awesome or fantastic in every stop. It let me be more confident to face the following questions.

In the second part, we had a role play. Each people came to one room, look around all the stuff and try to meet customers' best needs. Well, I don't think I made a good decision in the clothes matching, but I did my best to answer his questions in a short time.
    I've learn a lot from that interview and really appreciate that the company gave me the opportunity.

After I got a "thank you but sorry" call, I asked the manager what I can improve for the future. He
    s really nice to invite me to interview again if they have any opening position in the future. I do really like the company and the friendly hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation that you had heard and you solve by using your abilities.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Got called in for an interview after applying almost a month ago. They only asked three easy questions and then did a role play, where I had to pick out an outfit to attend a graduation ceremony.

Also, for the questions, they want you to describe a specific situation, so don't be vague or generic.

Interview Questions
    • When were you given a task with little or no direction and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever gone above and beyond for a customer? Explain.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic in October 2012.

I applied online in the summer, went through that whole annoying Taleo questionnaire and didn't hear anything back until about 2 months later. I received an email from Gap Inc. saying to call the manager for an interview if I was still interested. I did, and she asked me if I was available the coming Saturday at 4, so I said yes. I got there, she wasn't ready yet, so I was asked to just look around the store until she came out. Then I noticed there were other people my age walking around with report covers in their hands and I realized it was a group interview. I started to panic. No one had told me, so I had the initial impression that it would be one-on-one with the manager, which I would have preferred. It wasn't. There were 7 OTHER CANDIDATES. Very unprofessional of Banana Republic Square One. Also, the interviewer was rude and awkward. You'd think she would have looked at my resume, but I guess not, as she proceeded to ask questions about customer service experience, something I did not have, forcing me to make scenarios and examples up as to not embarrass myself in front of the other (far more qualified) candidates. Half way through the interview I literally wanted to get up and walk out. She said that if we have good references that we can expect an email within 3 days, but if not, they would not be taking the hiring process any further. It was my third interview and by far the worst. I do not even wish to work there anymore. Everyone is very superficial. Long story short: don't apply if you do not have prior experience. This interview will be hell for you.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the last time you struck up a conversation with someone you didn't know.
      Describe a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.
      What is your approach to handling many customers at a time?
      Which particular item in the store would you like to sell and why?
      Describe a time (at work or in school) when you had been given little direction on a project.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2012.

After applying online, I received a callback from HR and was scheduled for a group interview. The group interview consisted, primarily, of "on the job" questions. After that, I was called back for a in-store interview. They asked me to run around the store and pick items for the manager to wear to an interview (pretending she was a customer) and tell her why she should buy them. Something that made the second interview a little annoying was the fact that there were several people in the store doing the exact same thing.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Surrey, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Surrey, BC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in November 2011.

Few weeks, after I applied online, I received a call from the Assistant Manager, she mentioned about the interview for Saturday (today), so I went there. Meeting both the Assistant Managers (Women and Men's Department) was a great experience, they were very welcoming and friendly. I was asked simple questions, like 'what was the best and worst customer service you have received?'; 'Tell me about yourself' and 'What did you like BEST about your previous job?'

Truth be told, I am NOT sure if I will get the job or not, but I just wanted to say, that the experience was amazing. I wouldn't mind doing interviews every day, if the interviewees are like the Assistant Managers of this company.

Interview Questions
    • What was the best customer service you have received?   View Answer
    • What was the worst customer service you have received?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I walked in my very first time into a Banana Republic and was greeted by one of the managers. I asked if they were hiring and she gave me a piece of paper on how to apply. I got an email like a day or two later asking if i was would like to come by on Monday for an interview. Once Monday rolled around and I was waiting for the interview to start we were told to look around the store (We had to wait for everyone to get there.) We then went down stairs and sat at a table. There was 3 others plus myself in the group interview. The manager didn't bring any paperwork to write down and the interview was very informal and more like a group conversation. I was not expecting that at all and it was very laid back and it didn't make me nervous. I then got a call a day or two later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you keep up with the latest fashion and trends?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

The entire application/interview process took one week. I applied online; however, since Banana Republic, and any Gap store for that matter, gets so many applications; the trick is to ALSO hand in your resume and cover letter to the manager in store a couple days later, because that's when I scheduled an interview. (If not for that, I don't think I would've been contacted any time soon. Also try to go in when the store isn't busy). I scheduled my interview for a few days later, and when I went in I found it was a 1:1 interview. The manager was incredibly nice and asked me some basic questions. He then had me do a floor activity where I had to put an outfit together that easily transitions from work to a night out into town. I gathered the garments together, making sure it was something I'd actually see in a BR catalog. (Do your research beforehand)! He then told me he'd offer $9.25 an hour and we discussed my availability. Right after he offered me the job and asked if I would accept. I thought it would take longer to review my interview and resume, so I was surprised that he offered so quickly. I'm excited to start work!

Interview Questions
    • -Describe a time where you provided excellent customer service.
      -What was on experience in which you had to influence one of your peers.
        View Answer
    I didn't negotiate the price, because this would be my first job and $9.25 is a great rate already. If you had prior retail experience, you could definitely negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2014.

I applied online. Two days later I got a call to schedule an interview. A few days later I had two interviews. Dressed professionally, but kept in mind Banana Republic's style. Interviews were one on one with basic interview questions and lasted around 30 minutes each. Two days after that, I got a call with an offer.