Banana Republic

Average Difficulty
167 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Calgary, AB

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and Store manager called me after about 2 weeks. She asked me if I am still interested and my availability, if I can work in early morning shift sometimes (around 5 a.m) and set a time for interview in 2 days. The interview was one-to-one and took around 1hour including general questions, situational questions and role play. After the interview she asked for my references. They call me one week after interview and offer me the job.

Interview Question – - What did u like and do not like about your last two jobs? (separate)
- Why banana public?
- Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
- When were you given a task with little or no direction and what did you do?
- Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.
- What is the process of making decision for you.
- Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
- Tell me a time when you initiated a conversation with a stranger?
- What did you like and do not like in your past 2 previous time?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nonnegotiable.

Burnaby, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2014.

Interview Details I attended the interview last week. It's my first English interview and also my first group interview. Therefore, I was really nervous.
However, it's very interesting and not really terrible as my prediction.

The manager is a Canadian man. There was only one candidate. No other people there because they all cancel the meeting in the final minute.

In the beginning, the manager explained what they are looking for and what the responsibility about the job is. Then he asked three questions which are:
- Why banana public?
- Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
- Tell me a situation that you had heard and you solve by using your abilities.

It's a little bit hard for me because sometimes I cannot catch what he said. (Actually, his questions were not so ESL style. XD) But even though I answered very messy, he still said awesome or fantastic in every stop. It let me be more confident to face the following questions.

In the second part, we had a role play. Each people came to one room, look around all the stuff and try to meet customers' best needs. Well, I don't think I made a good decision in the clothes matching, but I did my best to answer his questions in a short time.
I've learn a lot from that interview and really appreciate that the company gave me the opportunity.

After I got a "thank you but sorry" call, I asked the manager what I can improve for the future. He
s really nice to invite me to interview again if they have any opening position in the future. I do really like the company and the friendly hiring manager.

Interview Question – Tell me a situation that you had heard and you solve by using your abilities.   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details Got called in for an interview after applying almost a month ago. They only asked three easy questions and then did a role play, where I had to pick out an outfit to attend a graduation ceremony.

Also, for the questions, they want you to describe a specific situation, so don't be vague or generic.

Interview Questions

Mississauga, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in October 2012.

Interview Details I applied online in the summer, went through that whole annoying Taleo questionnaire and didn't hear anything back until about 2 months later. I received an email from Gap Inc. saying to call the manager for an interview if I was still interested. I did, and she asked me if I was available the coming Saturday at 4, so I said yes. I got there, she wasn't ready yet, so I was asked to just look around the store until she came out. Then I noticed there were other people my age walking around with report covers in their hands and I realized it was a group interview. I started to panic. No one had told me, so I had the initial impression that it would be one-on-one with the manager, which I would have preferred. It wasn't. There were 7 OTHER CANDIDATES. Very unprofessional of Banana Republic Square One. Also, the interviewer was rude and awkward. You'd think she would have looked at my resume, but I guess not, as she proceeded to ask questions about customer service experience, something I did not have, forcing me to make scenarios and examples up as to not embarrass myself in front of the other (far more qualified) candidates. Half way through the interview I literally wanted to get up and walk out. She said that if we have good references that we can expect an email within 3 days, but if not, they would not be taking the hiring process any further. It was my third interview and by far the worst. I do not even wish to work there anymore. Everyone is very superficial. Long story short: don't apply if you do not have prior experience. This interview will be hell for you.

Interview Question – Describe the last time you struck up a conversation with someone you didn't know.
Describe a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.
What is your approach to handling many customers at a time?
Which particular item in the store would you like to sell and why?
Describe a time (at work or in school) when you had been given little direction on a project.
  Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2012.

Interview Details After applying online, I received a callback from HR and was scheduled for a group interview. The group interview consisted, primarily, of "on the job" questions. After that, I was called back for a in-store interview. They asked me to run around the store and pick items for the manager to wear to an interview (pretending she was a customer) and tell her why she should buy them. Something that made the second interview a little annoying was the fact that there were several people in the store doing the exact same thing.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

North Surrey, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2011.

Interview Details Few weeks, after I applied online, I received a call from the Assistant Manager, she mentioned about the interview for Saturday (today), so I went there. Meeting both the Assistant Managers (Women and Men's Department) was a great experience, they were very welcoming and friendly. I was asked simple questions, like 'what was the best and worst customer service you have received?'; 'Tell me about yourself' and 'What did you like BEST about your previous job?'

Truth be told, I am NOT sure if I will get the job or not, but I just wanted to say, that the experience was amazing. I wouldn't mind doing interviews every day, if the interviewees are like the Assistant Managers of this company.

Interview Questions

• What was the best customer service you have received?   View Answer
  • What was the worst customer service you have received?   View Answer

Aurora, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and got a call back in about 2 weeks. Had a very laid back, one-on-one interview with one of the managers who was super friendly and fun to talk to. The interview lasted about half an hour. Then I had to do an activity where I was on the floor and had to put together an outfit for a pretend customer. It was nothing to worry about, just a simple exercise to see how well you can interact with customers. I got a call back and was offered the position about 4 days after my interview.

Interview Question – General interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2011.

Interview Details I applied online and got an interview within a week after applying. I thought the interview process would've been one on one. It wasn't. It was a group interview, and one almost had to be aggressive to get noticed. I received an offer less than a week after the interview.

Interview Question – What are the main expectations of the store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no room for negotiation.

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and the process took 2 weeks to get a call back from the hiring manager. There were two interviews with two different managers who asked your run of the mill questions - both situational and behavioral. I got a phone call a week later with an offer. From there, it took another 2 weeks to go through training before I could work on the sales floor. Don't worry, you will get paid for training.

Negotiation Details – The manager asked about my salary requirement. I said $13/hr. She said that the best she could offer me was $9.50 due to declines in revenue from the last few years. I accepted out of desperation. I was making more 10 years ago at my first retail job...

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details This was one of the most disorganized interview processes I've ever been through. I applied online and got a call 2 or 3 days later asking for me to come in for an interview, which I did. It went well, was quite easy, and the interviewer seemed to hint that all that was left for me to be hired was logistical stuff, and that he would contact me in a few days to set up training. 2 weeks later, I hadn't heard anything so I called him and asked. He gave some excuse about management, and said he still wanted to move forward, he'd call me in a few days. Another 3 weeks- nothing. Finally, over a month after I'd originally applied, he offered me the job and said he wanted me to come in for an orientation the next day, which I couldn't make on such short notice, so he said he'd call back the next week with a different orientation time. That was almost a month ago, I never heard back. At that point, I gave up. If they were this disorganized, it wasn't somewhere I wanted to work.

Interview Question – How do you work in a team setting?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The process was incredibly disorganized and handled unprofessionally.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!