Banana Republic Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct, 2014
Updated 22 Oct, 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Went to a job fair and handed in my resume. Everyone was given an on-the-spot interview which was fairly easy. The managers were very kind and welcoming. I was interviewed by the GM and was then passed onto the next GM. They asked typical questions like "Tell me about yourself", "Why do you wanna work here", "What traits do you have that make you the best candidate" and so on. The interview took about 10-15 minutes. The next day the GM called me to tell me that I got the job.

Brand Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Applied on-line and got a call from the manager inviting me to a group interview. We were about 7 in our group interview. The managers were really friendly and made us do some fun activities for example they gave us different scenarios and asked us to find suitable outfits for a certain scenario. Scenarios included: dinner date for a guy, meeting the girl's parents for the first time, wedding, semi formal business event. They asked about our background and why we chose banana amongst other interview questions. The group interview was short, I got a call for a second interview about 2 days later and this time it was a one on one interview with the general manager. He is a really friendly guy and made me feel comfortable, He asked more personal questions now like work experience, what my worst and best customer experience was, when was the last time I talked to someone I did not know, what I expect to gain from working at Banana and why I chose banana republic.

I was weak

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

I applied online and Store manager called me after about 2 weeks. She asked me if I am still interested and my availability, if I can work in early morning shift sometimes (around 5 a.m) and set a time for interview in 2 days. The interview was one-to-one and took around 1hour including general questions, situational questions and role play. After the interview she asked for my references. They call me one week after interview and offer me the job.

Interview Questions
    • - What did u like and do not like about your last two jobs? (separate)
      - Why banana public?
      - Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
      - When were you given a task with little or no direction and what did you do?
      - Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.
      - What is the process of making decision for you.
      - Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
      - Tell me a time when you initiated a conversation with a stranger?
      - What did you like and do not like in your past 2 previous time?
        Answer Question
    nonnegotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic in April 2014.

I attended the interview last week. It's my first English interview and also my first group interview. Therefore, I was really nervous.
    However, it's very interesting and not really terrible as my prediction.

The manager is a Canadian man. There was only one candidate. No other people there because they all cancel the meeting in the final minute.

In the beginning, the manager explained what they are looking for and what the responsibility about the job is. Then he asked three questions which are:
    - Why banana public?
    - Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
    - Tell me a situation that you had heard and you solve by using your abilities.

It's a little bit hard for me because sometimes I cannot catch what he said. (Actually, his questions were not so ESL style. XD) But even though I answered very messy, he still said awesome or fantastic in every stop. It let me be more confident to face the following questions.

In the second part, we had a role play. Each people came to one room, look around all the stuff and try to meet customers' best needs. Well, I don't think I made a good decision in the clothes matching, but I did my best to answer his questions in a short time.
    I've learn a lot from that interview and really appreciate that the company gave me the opportunity.

After I got a "thank you but sorry" call, I asked the manager what I can improve for the future. He
    s really nice to invite me to interview again if they have any opening position in the future. I do really like the company and the friendly hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation that you had heard and you solve by using your abilities.   View Answer

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in March 2014.

I applied online and received a phone call a week and a half later to come in for an interview. I assumed it would be a one-on-one interview but it was actually a group interview and none of us were informed about that until we were there. There was a group of 6 of us in total being interviewed by the manager and assistant manager of the store. You had to first introduce yourself and why you applied to work at Banana Republic. They then asked typical retail interview questions and went along the line and answered one by one. It was hard if you were one of the last to answer to think of something that hadn't already been said by the others. At the end they said they were going to contact the successful people by the end of that day. I received a call and accepted the offer. Two other people also got offered jobs and accepted them, so 3 out of the 6 at the interview were hired.

Interview Questions
    • Banana Republic sales associates are known as Brand Ambassadors. How would you describe a brand ambassador?   View Answer

Sales Support Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I did the application and the questionnaire in the career website. Even when the job ad said I could apply in the store, they would never have been able to "pull" the application if I haven´t done the online process. Then I went to the store with my printed resume, and spoke to a manager about my interest in the position and let her know that I applied through the website. She called me two days later to invite me for an interview the day after. The conversation ranged from my experience in the retail business, my specific knowledge about technology used in inventory management, and my availability. Salary expectations were set by her at once (minimum wage). A week later she called me to offer the position and start.

Interview Questions
    • Are you available to work early morning shifts (4:30 am)?   View Answer
    No negociation was allowed, since I was aware this is a minimum wage job. However, the employee discount in Banana Republic, Gap and Old Navy convinced me to accept. It´s very impressive!

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

The hiring and interview process was super easy and stress free. We don't take resumes in person, only online. I was 16 when I was hired so they are VERY interested in seeing your potential and work ethic. The managers and the entire staff are so incredibly welcoming and helpful and make you look forward to coming into work. The environment is extremely professional but at the same time very relaxed and comfortable. The interview consisted of asking of pervious experience and how you found that to be a learning experience and explaining times of good and bad customer service. They are also interested in knowing about what you do outside of work. It's so so easy and you'll love the job! Be yourself and show professionalism and positivity and you've got it.

Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic in July 2013.

I applied online early January 2013 and in July got an email inviting me to a group interview. That same day I received a call and was set up with an interview for 2 days later.

The interviewer was very friendly and easy going. There were 2 other girls there as well, and she just asked us questions and we took turns answering them. She told all 3 of us that she was going to have us do a quick interview with the store manager the following day.

The meeting with the store manager was very quick and probably more of a formality. He asked me to tell him about myself, if I was going back to school, what my availability was, and which position I saw myself working. He said he would have someone call me to come pick up forms that I would need to drop off, so I thought that was a bit of an inconvenience but ultimately not a big deal. The whole thing took about 7 minutes. I didn't have to make up any outfits or anything like that.

MPL Visual Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Two interviews. One with the direct supervisor and one with the Store Manager. Very structured questions.

Interview Questions
    • What situation did you experience where you had to make an immediate visual change because of sold out product.   Answer Question
    I was offered 13$ starting. After a year and half when I gave my two weeks notice I was given a raise to match that of the other job I was offered which bumped me up to 15.50.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Got called in for an interview after applying almost a month ago. They only asked three easy questions and then did a role play, where I had to pick out an outfit to attend a graduation ceremony.

Also, for the questions, they want you to describe a specific situation, so don't be vague or generic.

Interview Questions
    • When were you given a task with little or no direction and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever gone above and beyond for a customer? Explain.   Answer Question