Baker Hughes Interview Questions

Updated 23 Oct, 2014
Updated 23 Oct, 2014

2.9

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied online through the website and got a digital interview. It's a behavioral interview and roughly took 20 min. I got an email within a week asking about my status in Canada and whether or not I'm able to work without any restriction. Two days later someone called me to say that they're not able to offer me anything because I'm not a PR.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Just finished a digital interview last week, still waiting for the result. The interview questions were all very long. I had 9 questions and 30 seconds to prepare for each. Overall I think did all right.

Interview Questions
    • What was a situation that you found a past solution did not work? How did you deal with it? What was the result?   View Answer

New Graduate Engineer Interview

I applied for the new graduate position through Baker Hughe's website. I was contacted a few weeks later to arrange a video interview. This interview consisted of a series of prerecorded video questions and you had to provide your video response via webcam. Questions were mostly behavioral based. Haven't heard back yet regarding the status.

Interview Questions
    • Typical Behavioral questions, tell us about a time you solved a technical problem   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2014.

Applied on line at late September, received interview a week later. It was a recorded video interview, question will be given and they will start record the answers. Each question has 30 seconds for preparation, then up to 3 minutes to answer the question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you need to solve a technical problems, what did you do, what is the outcome, if you have a chance, what will you do differently   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

The Interview Process was done in multiple parts.

The first part was a basic phone interview where I was asked 4 or 5 standard HR questions. (Why do you want to work for BH, describe working with a difficult team member, etc)

The second part was attending a 2 day BHE in Calgary. Make sure you come prepared with an idea of what the job entails and what each of the different lines do. Most important about the BHE is to be yourself and to do your best to relax. They really just want to see your personality come out and find out how you work a ground and under pressure. I really enjoyed the BHE because it gives you the chance to get to ask questions and find out all you can about what its like to work as a field engineer and what the job is like for each line. Make sure you ask lots of questions and really listen when they say what each exercise is about. These activities are designed to keep you on your toes and see if you can follow directions and all are under a time constraint. Especially for the debate make sure you listen to the explanation before it starts and try to understand what each of the situations is focusing on. Usually there are 2 right answers so just make sure you can back up what you are saying.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview questions were all standard so no surprises. The most difficult part of the whole experience was probably the debate just because you are not given time to think about which answer so you really have to listen to what the case description is trying to deal with   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

Met with the HR recruiter at the campus event, she got my resume and asked me to apply. I applied and received a call the next business day. Answered 4 behavioral/technical questions mainly focused on involvement in team work and communication with the teams you worked on before. Got invited to the second round to the BHE.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the situation that you used your technical knowledge to solve a problem   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes in June 2013.

Applied for position and about a month after application got a phone interview. The next day I got a call for a face to face interview the following week. After the interview it went silent for about 5 weeks, but then got the job.
    Interview itself was unique. I was very few questions, it was just a tour around the shop floor. I think the interview was more about my interest level and the types of questions that I asked the interviewer.
    I did a lot of research for the position including technical details of the product, and this really paid off because I could ask intelligent questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, but he asked 'out of 164 applicants why do you think that you are the best candidate?'   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. The starting salary was very good and I didn't feel the need.

Field Engineer Interview

First: Standard phone interview with behavioral questions - Don't be shocked if they don't seem interested, you are one of many who will deliver similar answers.
    Second: Baker Hughes Experience - 3 days, 2 overnights
    - Several practical tests
    - Mathematics/Reasoning Test
    - Ethics Test
    - Ethical Debate
    - Presentations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leduc, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leduc, AB

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes in May 2013.

I had a phone interview and a week or so later I was invited to the Baker Hughes Experience. For the phone interview, I was asked to go through my resume and they asked me questions like, "Explain a situation where you used your technical knowledge" and "Tell me about a time where you didn't have enough information to do a technical project"

For the first day at the BHE, we met all the managers and had a short meet and greet session, had dinner and saw a presentation about the company. Afterwards they put you on the spot and get you to ask questions.. The second day was a 'fun' day. We went to one of their facilities and started out by introducing ourselves and then got placed into groups to build a rig based on a picture and some specs. My guess is they wanted to see how you work in a team environment and if you can cooperate with people you barely knew. The managers split up to look at all the groups and took notes. Then we had lunch and got to talk to a field engineer who was on an international assignment. After that we were placed into 3 different groups. Each group took turns doing a different activities/assessments (tour, hands-on tests, and a case study). By the time all the groups were finished, we headed back to the hotel for dinner and one last assessment (a debate of sorts). The third day involved presentations. We were placed in a new group and had 30 minutes to prepare a 10 minute presentation.

Throughout the whole experience, it was important to leave an impression on the managers. There was no one-on-one interviews but they intentionally gave us breaks so that we can pull them aside and ask questions. I don't believe that I stuck out during the whole thing (unlike some people who would always be asking questions or have something to say about a topic), but when I was put on the spot I answered with conviction. There was 19 of us and we were told that they currently had 11 positions open. If they liked all of us, all of us would be hired.. but that also meant that they could decide not to hire anyone.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2012.

Was contacted by HR with a brief phone interview asking general questions basically confirming with information on the resume. Then a panel interview in person with hiring manager and HR Lead. They followed a scripted set of questions while taking notes in turn. Questions were behavior in nature with some scenarios thrown in.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring manager asked a technical answer and later answered it but, it was wrong.   Answer Question