Baker Hughes

Updated 19 Nov, 2014
Updated 19 Nov, 2014

2.9

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied online through the website and got a digital interview. It's a behavioral interview and roughly took 20 min. I got an email within a week asking about my status in Canada and whether or not I'm able to work without any restriction. Two days later someone called me to say that they're not able to offer me anything because I'm not a PR.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2014.

Firsf stage was an online interview with 9 total questions. You're read the question then given ~30 seconds to prepare for your response. Your response per question is limited to 3 minutes total and the questions are normal HR type but with several smaller questions included in each of the 9 questions (for instance.. Have you had to deal with a difficult situation at work? What was it? How did you overcome it? What did you learn? Etc).

If you're successful with the interview you'll get invited to the Baker Hughes Experience which was one night and one day event (overnighting at a hotel). Initially you sit down and eat supper while talking to all the product line managers, the goal here is to find out about which product line you think suits you the best. It helps to know a little about each product line too.. And ask lots of questions. Each manager gives a little presentation about their product line too.

From there we were told to make a coat of arms that defines ourselves and then we introduced ourselves to the entire group. We then were split into groups and given a set of instructions to purchase material and build a rig to certain specifications. After this we were presented different scenarios and were told to hold a color up that shows how we would handle the situation. We then had a debate between each other as to what the correct answer to the scenario was (it's important here to have a little conviction in your answers and keep a cool head as the HR guy will try to grill you to change your mind). We were done after this and went to bed.

The next day we went to a shop and completed three tests.. One was about Mayan numerals, one was an ethics test on a case study and the other was a group of timed hands on tests (such as testing ph, assembly of a valve, using a voltmeter, etc). After this we were split into groups again and were given 45 mins to produce a general presentation about Baker Hughes.

Finally HR called us into a room one by one and we were given a quick yes or no for an offer in a specific product line at a specific geographic location.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a difficult task that you had to overcome. What was it? How did you overcome it?   View Answer
    They give you 3 days to accept the formal offer.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Just finished a digital interview last week, still waiting for the result. The interview questions were all very long. I had 9 questions and 30 seconds to prepare for each. Overall I think did all right.

Interview Questions
    • What was a situation that you found a past solution did not work? How did you deal with it? What was the result?   View Answer

New Graduate Engineer Interview

I applied for the new graduate position through Baker Hughe's website. I was contacted a few weeks later to arrange a video interview. This interview consisted of a series of prerecorded video questions and you had to provide your video response via webcam. Questions were mostly behavioral based. Haven't heard back yet regarding the status.

Interview Questions
    • Typical Behavioral questions, tell us about a time you solved a technical problem   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2014.

I did the digital interview, which was definitely a different type of interview. You have 30 seconds to read the question and then 3 minutes to answer it. I prefer face to face interviews because you can gauge how the interview is going. I was much more nervous during this interview than any previous interviews I have had.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you had to use your technical knowledge.   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2014.

Applied on line at late September, received interview a week later. It was a recorded video interview, question will be given and they will start record the answers. Each question has 30 seconds for preparation, then up to 3 minutes to answer the question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you need to solve a technical problems, what did you do, what is the outcome, if you have a chance, what will you do differently   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

The Interview Process was done in multiple parts.

The first part was a basic phone interview where I was asked 4 or 5 standard HR questions. (Why do you want to work for BH, describe working with a difficult team member, etc)

The second part was attending a 2 day BHE in Calgary. Make sure you come prepared with an idea of what the job entails and what each of the different lines do. Most important about the BHE is to be yourself and to do your best to relax. They really just want to see your personality come out and find out how you work a ground and under pressure. I really enjoyed the BHE because it gives you the chance to get to ask questions and find out all you can about what its like to work as a field engineer and what the job is like for each line. Make sure you ask lots of questions and really listen when they say what each exercise is about. These activities are designed to keep you on your toes and see if you can follow directions and all are under a time constraint. Especially for the debate make sure you listen to the explanation before it starts and try to understand what each of the situations is focusing on. Usually there are 2 right answers so just make sure you can back up what you are saying.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview questions were all standard so no surprises. The most difficult part of the whole experience was probably the debate just because you are not given time to think about which answer so you really have to listen to what the case description is trying to deal with   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

Met with the HR recruiter at the campus event, she got my resume and asked me to apply. I applied and received a call the next business day. Answered 4 behavioral/technical questions mainly focused on involvement in team work and communication with the teams you worked on before. Got invited to the second round to the BHE.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the situation that you used your technical knowledge to solve a problem   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes in June 2013.

Applied for position and about a month after application got a phone interview. The next day I got a call for a face to face interview the following week. After the interview it went silent for about 5 weeks, but then got the job.
    Interview itself was unique. I was very few questions, it was just a tour around the shop floor. I think the interview was more about my interest level and the types of questions that I asked the interviewer.
    I did a lot of research for the position including technical details of the product, and this really paid off because I could ask intelligent questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, but he asked 'out of 164 applicants why do you think that you are the best candidate?'   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. The starting salary was very good and I didn't feel the need.

Field Engineer Interview

First: Standard phone interview with behavioral questions - Don't be shocked if they don't seem interested, you are one of many who will deliver similar answers.
    Second: Baker Hughes Experience - 3 days, 2 overnights