Baker Hughes Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep, 2014
Updated 25 Sep, 2014

2.9

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

The Interview Process was done in multiple parts.

The first part was a basic phone interview where I was asked 4 or 5 standard HR questions. (Why do you want to work for BH, describe working with a difficult team member, etc)

The second part was attending a 2 day BHE in Calgary. Make sure you come prepared with an idea of what the job entails and what each of the different lines do. Most important about the BHE is to be yourself and to do your best to relax. They really just want to see your personality come out and find out how you work a ground and under pressure. I really enjoyed the BHE because it gives you the chance to get to ask questions and find out all you can about what its like to work as a field engineer and what the job is like for each line. Make sure you ask lots of questions and really listen when they say what each exercise is about. These activities are designed to keep you on your toes and see if you can follow directions and all are under a time constraint. Especially for the debate make sure you listen to the explanation before it starts and try to understand what each of the situations is focusing on. Usually there are 2 right answers so just make sure you can back up what you are saying.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview questions were all standard so no surprises. The most difficult part of the whole experience was probably the debate just because you are not given time to think about which answer so you really have to listen to what the case description is trying to deal with   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Met with the HR recruiter at the campus event, she got my resume and asked me to apply. I applied and received a call the next business day. Answered 4 behavioral/technical questions mainly focused on involvement in team work and communication with the teams you worked on before. Got invited to the second round to the BHE.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the situation that you used your technical knowledge to solve a problem   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in June 2013.

Applied for position and about a month after application got a phone interview. The next day I got a call for a face to face interview the following week. After the interview it went silent for about 5 weeks, but then got the job.
    Interview itself was unique. I was very few questions, it was just a tour around the shop floor. I think the interview was more about my interest level and the types of questions that I asked the interviewer.
    I did a lot of research for the position including technical details of the product, and this really paid off because I could ask intelligent questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, but he asked 'out of 164 applicants why do you think that you are the best candidate?'   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. The starting salary was very good and I didn't feel the need.

Field Engineer Interview

First: Standard phone interview with behavioral questions - Don't be shocked if they don't seem interested, you are one of many who will deliver similar answers.
    Second: Baker Hughes Experience - 3 days, 2 overnights
    - Several practical tests
    - Mathematics/Reasoning Test
    - Ethics Test
    - Ethical Debate
    - Presentations

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leduc, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leduc, AB

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in May 2013.

I had a phone interview and a week or so later I was invited to the Baker Hughes Experience. For the phone interview, I was asked to go through my resume and they asked me questions like, "Explain a situation where you used your technical knowledge" and "Tell me about a time where you didn't have enough information to do a technical project"

For the first day at the BHE, we met all the managers and had a short meet and greet session, had dinner and saw a presentation about the company. Afterwards they put you on the spot and get you to ask questions.. The second day was a 'fun' day. We went to one of their facilities and started out by introducing ourselves and then got placed into groups to build a rig based on a picture and some specs. My guess is they wanted to see how you work in a team environment and if you can cooperate with people you barely knew. The managers split up to look at all the groups and took notes. Then we had lunch and got to talk to a field engineer who was on an international assignment. After that we were placed into 3 different groups. Each group took turns doing a different activities/assessments (tour, hands-on tests, and a case study). By the time all the groups were finished, we headed back to the hotel for dinner and one last assessment (a debate of sorts). The third day involved presentations. We were placed in a new group and had 30 minutes to prepare a 10 minute presentation.

Throughout the whole experience, it was important to leave an impression on the managers. There was no one-on-one interviews but they intentionally gave us breaks so that we can pull them aside and ask questions. I don't believe that I stuck out during the whole thing (unlike some people who would always be asking questions or have something to say about a topic), but when I was put on the spot I answered with conviction. There was 19 of us and we were told that they currently had 11 positions open. If they liked all of us, all of us would be hired.. but that also meant that they could decide not to hire anyone.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2012.

Was contacted by HR with a brief phone interview asking general questions basically confirming with information on the resume. Then a panel interview in person with hiring manager and HR Lead. They followed a scripted set of questions while taking notes in turn. Questions were behavior in nature with some scenarios thrown in.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring manager asked a technical answer and later answered it but, it was wrong.   Answer Question

Wireline Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edmonton, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

The process took a day - interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2011.

i got phone interview with asian recruiter which was hard to understand. anyways she started asking about my previous work experience and gave me the details of job. it took 40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • describe the time when you had to work beyond your job duties.   Answer Question
    • are u willing to work for long hours and stay away from home for long   Answer Question

Recruitment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in August 2011.

I was initially called by an entry level HR person to complete my telephone pre-screen. The must frustrating question here was regarding pay expectations. I feel this is highly inappropriate at the first stage when I don't understand the role as a whole. She wasn't willing to accept the info I shared which was what I was making in my current role. This was followed by in person interview with the team lead. This interview was friendly and comfortable. the Lead was transparent about the company. I then interviewed with the global lead via video interview. Finally interview with Leaders in Calgary. Everyone was professional, friendly and driven to the success of the company

Interview Questions
    • there was nothing difficult or unexpected if you are in fact a specialist and ready for the role. The interviewer consistently asked to for me to provide specific examples of when I had done something.   Answer Question

At the time I felt they were looking for someone who had already done the role they were looking to fill and would come to provide knowledge and expertise to the company. I didn't feel there was much opportunity for me to learn and develop professionally

MWD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in December 2010.

Met HR at my school job fair, had phone interview and later one-on-one interview

No negotiation

Technical Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edmonton, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in June 2010.

I met with two managers. It was simple just spoke about my experience. They were very laid back. It took two weeks for them to get back to me with an offer. THen I had to do a physical and drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you think the volume of this room would be in barrels?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a situation where you had to deal with an angree customer.   Answer Question
    no. Make sure you ask for previous experience to go towards your vacation time. Also, ask for reloccation allowance. They won't offer it.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!