Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct, 2014
Updated 22 Oct, 2014

3.7

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

First Round: 2 case interviews with Senior Consultants and Consultants
    Second Round: 2 case interviews with Principals/Partners and 1 Experience interview with a principal/partner

Most important thing is to be confident and have excellent math skills. I made some math errors, but it was not a big deal because I had shown excellent math skills in my first round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Negotiation Case - Was not expecting one of those   View Answer
    No Negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

very difficult process. First there are 2 case interviews about 30 minutes each. then final round has 3 45 minute interviews. Definitely recommend that you practice cases as much as possible, and try to set up interviews with smaller firms first.

ACI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Regular case, no behavioural; set-up with an interview buddy to chat briefly beforehand; 2 back to back; one case was about industrials, the other about insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Two rounds of interviews - first round on campus, second round at office. Extremely friendly interviewers. My first round-interviewer gave me tips for second round! Lots of math, lots of graphs, one brainsteaser during second round. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • A foreign investor wants to take down a highway and build real estate over it. Is she crazy?   Answer Question
    No negotiations for associate consultant position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

First Round of Interviews for a full time position. Consists of 2 30 minute business case interviews.

There are no behavioral interview questions on the first round, they are just testing if you can do the business case or not. This might throw the candidates off a bit, because it seems like they don't care about who you actually are.

They are very focused on the 80/20 rule. You need to seek out the 2-3 analysis' with the biggest impact and go through those VERY quickly and impressively to get to the Second round.

The interviewers were very rude and they did not seem like they care or respect the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • First case: A credit card company that is planning on launching a new airmiles reward card.
      Second case: A gold mining company looking in to expanding into copper mining
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in May 2010.

They called ahead to run mock cases. Very pleasant to deal with. The interview itself consisted of two case studies only. No personal questions. Very numerical.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions. There were no questions based on my background.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2007.

Very professional, quick follow through, interim feedback between interview rounds. Clearly mapped out process.

Interview Questions
    • Case questions regarding logging company in Northern Canada - required estimates of capacity, quick calculations, etc. Typical case interview, but on the harder side.   Answer Question
    • Case interview based on the bookstore productivity and making a choice on eliminating or keeping bookstores in the mall post-merger.   Answer Question

Accepted an offer in another consulting firm

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

First-round interviews consisted of two 40-minute case interviews with consulting staff. No fit questions were asked – almost all time was spent on the case. Both interviewers were friendly but disinterested, looking at their phones less than five minutes into the interview. It struck me as rude, but perhaps it was a stress tactic to see how I would react.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Had a first round interview. It consisted of two case interviews- not behavioral at all. The interviewers were very nice and did their best to make the interview seem relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather have $1,000,000 or 1/100 of a cent for every emoji sent in the USA today?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied through on-campus recruiting, you end up going through pretty standard case interviews for a consulting firm. People were really really nice and I enjoyed going through the cases with them. They ended up calling back a couple hours later saying that I got the final round, so I'm waiting on that in the next week or so.

Interview Questions
    • What are potential costs associated with building out hospital IT infrastructure?   Answer Question