Bain & Company

Updated 16 Dec, 2014
Updated 16 Dec, 2014

3.7

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

First Round: 2 case interviews with Senior Consultants and Consultants
    Second Round: 2 case interviews with Principals/Partners and 1 Experience interview with a principal/partner

Most important thing is to be confident and have excellent math skills. I made some math errors, but it was not a big deal because I had shown excellent math skills in my first round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Negotiation Case - Was not expecting one of those   View Answer
    No Negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

very difficult process. First there are 2 case interviews about 30 minutes each. then final round has 3 45 minute interviews. Definitely recommend that you practice cases as much as possible, and try to set up interviews with smaller firms first.

ACI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Regular case, no behavioural; set-up with an interview buddy to chat briefly beforehand; 2 back to back; one case was about industrials, the other about insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

First Round of Interviews for a full time position. Consists of 2 30 minute business case interviews.

There are no behavioral interview questions on the first round, they are just testing if you can do the business case or not. This might throw the candidates off a bit, because it seems like they don't care about who you actually are.

They are very focused on the 80/20 rule. You need to seek out the 2-3 analysis' with the biggest impact and go through those VERY quickly and impressively to get to the Second round.

The interviewers were very rude and they did not seem like they care or respect the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • First case: A credit card company that is planning on launching a new airmiles reward card.
      Second case: A gold mining company looking in to expanding into copper mining

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Two rounds of interviews - first round on campus, second round at office. Extremely friendly interviewers. My first round-interviewer gave me tips for second round! Lots of math, lots of graphs, one brainsteaser during second round. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • A foreign investor wants to take down a highway and build real estate over it. Is she crazy?   Answer Question
    No negotiations for associate consultant position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in May 2010.

They called ahead to run mock cases. Very pleasant to deal with. The interview itself consisted of two case studies only. No personal questions. Very numerical.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions. There were no questions based on my background.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2007.

Very professional, quick follow through, interim feedback between interview rounds. Clearly mapped out process.

Interview Questions
    • Case questions regarding logging company in Northern Canada - required estimates of capacity, quick calculations, etc. Typical case interview, but on the harder side.   Answer Question
    • Case interview based on the bookstore productivity and making a choice on eliminating or keeping bookstores in the mall post-merger.   Answer Question

Accepted an offer in another consulting firm

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Firstly a CV shortlisiting process on campus. For all the shortlisted candidates, there is a written test(graphs etc.) and a guesstimate. Questions like estimate the no of flights over delhi airport at a given time

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the number of tennis balls sold in india.   View Answer

Help Desk Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in December 2014.

I applied online and received a standard auto-confirmation receipt. I was contacted within a week to schedule a phone interview, which occurred two days later. At the end of the phone interview an in-person interview was scheduled for two days afterward. I went into their Boston office and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist. I then met with 4 members of the Help Desk team in 15-25 minute increments. Each person was very energetic an welcoming, further enforcing the friendly atmosphere of the company. Even the rejection letter I received two days later was very warm and polite. Despite not being offered the position this was a great experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a laptop computer that could not connect to the internet and had to diagnose the problem.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Day 1 on campus, 2 case/behavioral interviews. Required to fill out office location but when put 50/50 for two cities was told to pick one. Turns out they only have you interview for your highest priority city.

Day 2 (next day when advanced to final rounds) in hotel near campus, 3 case/behavioral interviews.