Bain & Company Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 19, 2014
340 interviews

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

very difficult process. First there are 2 case interviews about 30 minutes each. then final round has 3 45 minute interviews. Definitely recommend that you practice cases as much as possible, and try to set up interviews with smaller firms first.

ACI Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Regular case, no behavioural; set-up with an interview buddy to chat briefly beforehand; 2 back to back; one case was about industrials, the other about insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Two rounds of interviews - first round on campus, second round at office. Extremely friendly interviewers. My first round-interviewer gave me tips for second round! Lots of math, lots of graphs, one brainsteaser during second round. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • A foreign investor wants to take down a highway and build real estate over it. Is she crazy?   Answer Question
    No negotiations for associate consultant position

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

First Round of Interviews for a full time position. Consists of 2 30 minute business case interviews.

There are no behavioral interview questions on the first round, they are just testing if you can do the business case or not. This might throw the candidates off a bit, because it seems like they don't care about who you actually are.

They are very focused on the 80/20 rule. You need to seek out the 2-3 analysis' with the biggest impact and go through those VERY quickly and impressively to get to the Second round.

The interviewers were very rude and they did not seem like they care or respect the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • First case: A credit card company that is planning on launching a new airmiles reward card.
      Second case: A gold mining company looking in to expanding into copper mining
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bain & Company in May 2010.

They called ahead to run mock cases. Very pleasant to deal with. The interview itself consisted of two case studies only. No personal questions. Very numerical.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions. There were no questions based on my background.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2007.

Very professional, quick follow through, interim feedback between interview rounds. Clearly mapped out process.

Interview Questions
    • Case questions regarding logging company in Northern Canada - required estimates of capacity, quick calculations, etc. Typical case interview, but on the harder side.   Answer Question
    • Case interview based on the bookstore productivity and making a choice on eliminating or keeping bookstores in the mall post-merger.   Answer Question

Accepted an offer in another consulting firm

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

I recruited for Bain via UC Berkeley's on campus interview process. The information sessions were valuable in providing information about projects and office culture. The interview felt a little bit rushed as they were interviewing quite a few candidates over a few days. The one difference between the interviw and preparation is that they feed you data and ask you analyze it versus have you extract data via your own logical processes, this made it hard to demonstrate one's own though process, in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • To explain the desire to be a consultant without being vague   Answer Question

PTA Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2011.

Internal refer. Got interview with a consultant. 30 minutes. 10 minutes asking about the resume, past experience, understanding about leadership. 20 minutes case interview. He helped me walk through a case and was mainly testing business acumen and also analytical framework and ability. I didn't prepare anything about case interview and felt I didn't do well. He was impressed by the little notebook I took out at the interview, which I felt was normal, since he was giving out so much information on the case and I had to take them down. But guess he knows I didn't prepare and would soon be off to the states for graduate school, so didn't set a high bar. He let me in finally and I worked pretty well on several projects in the end.

Interview Questions
    • What did you write about in your paper you said here? What's the impact?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in May 2014.

Received interview offer after about 1 month. Did first round of interviews with managers and received outcome on same day and also received feedback on how I had performed. The first case was involved figuring out how a company could increase its profits. The second case was about determining whether a market was worth entering into.
    The second round of interviews was with partners. The first case was about determining whether a cost cutting initiative was worth it (focused on my numbers because I had made some errors in the first round, I had eventually corrected them but they do like you to get them right the first time before you share them). The second case was about understanding the revenue contributions of a company's product portfolio.
    All four interviews also had a behavioral component i.e. why Bain, why this particular office and what can you offer Bain. The first 3 interviews lasted 30-60 minutes. The last one was over in 15 minutes.
    The interviewers were all very pleasant and I got the impression that they all really wanted the candidates to do well. The cases were all pretty straightforward. I had to dig deep to get to the answers but there were no trick questions or scenarios. They are really just looking out for the following:
    - first, second and possibly third level structure
    - ability to prioritise
    - ability to communicate though process and assumptions
    - number crunching. Some interviewers were okay with rounding off, one wanted exact numbers to the second decimal.
    - likeability. Even the partners were pretty informal and it felt like a conversation amongst peers.

The HR personnel were all pretty helpful too. I felt like I had my own personal cheer squad every step of the way.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Munich (Germany)
    Anonymous Employee in Munich (Germany)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in July 2014.

Applied through Email and a friend. Interview day starts with a company presentation followed by three one-on-one interviews. The first one mainly focusses on personal fit questions with a small case at the end. The other two are primarily case interviews. Bain interviewers were all very friendly, however not as open and extroverted as many sources suggest. Interviewers gave me the impression of rather being some sort of a researcher than a consultant.

Interview Questions
    • Market sizing questions about movie market and real estate land; Business case about hotel investment next to a football stadium   Answer Question

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!