Bain & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

ACI Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details Regular case, no behavioural; set-up with an interview buddy to chat briefly beforehand; 2 back to back; one case was about industrials, the other about insurance

Interview Question – business case   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details Two rounds of interviews - first round on campus, second round at office. Extremely friendly interviewers. My first round-interviewer gave me tips for second round! Lots of math, lots of graphs, one brainsteaser during second round. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Question – A foreign investor wants to take down a highway and build real estate over it. Is she crazy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations for associate consultant position

Associate Consultant
Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details First Round of Interviews for a full time position. Consists of 2 30 minute business case interviews.

There are no behavioral interview questions on the first round, they are just testing if you can do the business case or not. This might throw the candidates off a bit, because it seems like they don't care about who you actually are.

They are very focused on the 80/20 rule. You need to seek out the 2-3 analysis' with the biggest impact and go through those VERY quickly and impressively to get to the Second round.

The interviewers were very rude and they did not seem like they care or respect the candidates.

Interview Question – First case: A credit card company that is planning on launching a new airmiles reward card.
Second case: A gold mining company looking in to expanding into copper mining
  Answer Question

Associate Consultant
Toronto, ON

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bain & Company in May 2010.

Interview Details They called ahead to run mock cases. Very pleasant to deal with. The interview itself consisted of two case studies only. No personal questions. Very numerical.

Interview Question – The case questions. There were no questions based on my background.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2007.

Interview Details Very professional, quick follow through, interim feedback between interview rounds. Clearly mapped out process.

Interview Questions

• Case questions regarding logging company in Northern Canada - required estimates of capacity, quick calculations, etc. Typical case interview, but on the harder side.   Answer Question
  • Case interview based on the bookstore productivity and making a choice on eliminating or keeping bookstores in the mall post-merger.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted an offer in another consulting firm

Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2014.

Interview Details First round interview: 2 45-minute interviews back to back with 2 different interviewers. The first 10-15 minutes are spent discussing your CV and the rest of the time is devoted to the case.

My first interviewer provided me with very little information, it was up to me to structure my answer and ask for relevant information. The second interviewer gave a much more structured case and required me to use my business logic to evaluate what were the important aspects and what I thought the problems with the particular case were.

Interview Question – "If I were to ask your relatives about you, what would be the three weaknesses they'd say you have?"

There weren't any particularly difficult questions but the cases really require you to think about every aspect of the business to try to figure out where the problems originate from.
  Answer Question

Graduate Scheme - Analyst Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in July 2012.

Interview Details I was interviewed by two partners at their London offices. Each started with an informal and personal chat about my background and career ambitions and concluded with a case study (usually related to a project the partner had been involved in). Each round was about 45 minutes. Both partners were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• The first first case study was related to the auctioning of the 3G licenses in the UK.   View Answer
  • The second case study was about a school textbook producer. I can't remember the specifics, but involved giving advice to the client's CEO about the firm's strategy.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Seoul (South Korea)

I applied online - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2014.

Interview Details There are 2 rounds of interview for the spring internship position at Bain Korea. Both the first round and second round interviews were case interviews. First round case was to answer why a food processing company's revenue isn't performing well and the second round case was to guestimate sales of a local shop.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you? (Need to research the company before the interview to properly answer this question)   Answer Question

Part-time Assistant Interview

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details Just a brief phone interview. A case of ivory product pricing.

Negotiation Details – No.

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Question – Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bain & Company

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company interview questions and advice. All 315 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees and interview candidates.