Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated 27 Sep, 2014
Updated 27 Sep, 2014

3.7

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

First Round: 2 case interviews with Senior Consultants and Consultants
    Second Round: 2 case interviews with Principals/Partners and 1 Experience interview with a principal/partner

Most important thing is to be confident and have excellent math skills. I made some math errors, but it was not a big deal because I had shown excellent math skills in my first round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Negotiation Case - Was not expecting one of those   View Answer
    No Negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

very difficult process. First there are 2 case interviews about 30 minutes each. then final round has 3 45 minute interviews. Definitely recommend that you practice cases as much as possible, and try to set up interviews with smaller firms first.

ACI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Regular case, no behavioural; set-up with an interview buddy to chat briefly beforehand; 2 back to back; one case was about industrials, the other about insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Two rounds of interviews - first round on campus, second round at office. Extremely friendly interviewers. My first round-interviewer gave me tips for second round! Lots of math, lots of graphs, one brainsteaser during second round. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • A foreign investor wants to take down a highway and build real estate over it. Is she crazy?   Answer Question
    No negotiations for associate consultant position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

First Round of Interviews for a full time position. Consists of 2 30 minute business case interviews.

There are no behavioral interview questions on the first round, they are just testing if you can do the business case or not. This might throw the candidates off a bit, because it seems like they don't care about who you actually are.

They are very focused on the 80/20 rule. You need to seek out the 2-3 analysis' with the biggest impact and go through those VERY quickly and impressively to get to the Second round.

The interviewers were very rude and they did not seem like they care or respect the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • First case: A credit card company that is planning on launching a new airmiles reward card.
      Second case: A gold mining company looking in to expanding into copper mining
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bain & Company in May 2010.

They called ahead to run mock cases. Very pleasant to deal with. The interview itself consisted of two case studies only. No personal questions. Very numerical.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions. There were no questions based on my background.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2007.

Very professional, quick follow through, interim feedback between interview rounds. Clearly mapped out process.

Interview Questions
    • Case questions regarding logging company in Northern Canada - required estimates of capacity, quick calculations, etc. Typical case interview, but on the harder side.   Answer Question
    • Case interview based on the bookstore productivity and making a choice on eliminating or keeping bookstores in the mall post-merger.   Answer Question

Accepted an offer in another consulting firm

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interviewed through campus. case interview. interview was very nice and helpful, led me through questions. sent in application through campus recruiting. went to info sessions. invited to interview within a week of sending in resume. two rounds of case study questions. one of them you have to analyze graphs. great learning experience.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Received first round interview on campus. Two back to back cases, no graphs/charts, which I had been expecting. One vague case and then one straightforward private equity investment case. If you don't completely crush both cases, you will not get offered a 2nd round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Must be able to understand what they're asking for. Nothing stood out as unexpected though.   Answer Question

Manager Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview was very standard, had me fill out paper application upon arrival. Interview was extremely short. Went over resume and job description, discussed previous roles. Interviewer asked case hypotheticals. Interview was set up through hiring agency so communication was minimal.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!