Bain & Company

Getting the Interview

125 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details Two rounds of interviews - first round on campus, second round at office. Extremely friendly interviewers. My first round-interviewer gave me tips for second round! Lots of math, lots of graphs, one brainsteaser during second round. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Question – A foreign investor wants to take down a highway and build real estate over it. Is she crazy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations for associate consultant position

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details First Round of Interviews for a full time position. Consists of 2 30 minute business case interviews.

There are no behavioral interview questions on the first round, they are just testing if you can do the business case or not. This might throw the candidates off a bit, because it seems like they don't care about who you actually are.

They are very focused on the 80/20 rule. You need to seek out the 2-3 analysis' with the biggest impact and go through those VERY quickly and impressively to get to the Second round.

The interviewers were very rude and they did not seem like they care or respect the candidates.

Interview Question – First case: A credit card company that is planning on launching a new airmiles reward card.
Second case: A gold mining company looking in to expanding into copper mining
  Answer Question

Toronto, ON

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bain & Company in May 2010.

Interview Details They called ahead to run mock cases. Very pleasant to deal with. The interview itself consisted of two case studies only. No personal questions. Very numerical.

Interview Question – The case questions. There were no questions based on my background.   Answer Question

Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2014.

Interview Details First round interview: 2 45-minute interviews back to back with 2 different interviewers. The first 10-15 minutes are spent discussing your CV and the rest of the time is devoted to the case.

My first interviewer provided me with very little information, it was up to me to structure my answer and ask for relevant information. The second interviewer gave a much more structured case and required me to use my business logic to evaluate what were the important aspects and what I thought the problems with the particular case were.

Interview Question – "If I were to ask your relatives about you, what would be the three weaknesses they'd say you have?"

There weren't any particularly difficult questions but the cases really require you to think about every aspect of the business to try to figure out where the problems originate from.
  Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Question – Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details It was a really nice interview with 2 different case studies with 2 different consultant.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected question during my interview.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details The entire process was very smooth and took about 2 weeks (not including waiting for the first interview). My first interview round was with a SAC and a Consultant at their office, and both interviews went well (except that the numbers on one case tripped me up). These interviews were both profit cases and were not especially difficult.

For the final round, I was flown out to Boston to interview with a Partner and Senior Manager. I had to do a market sizing case which also felt like a pressure test, because my interviewer questioned my every assumption. I had a profit case with the Senior Manager which required a rather unexpected recommendation.

The Partner who interviewed me called me the next morning to let me know that I received the offer.

In general, the process was great and you have the opportunity to receive detailed feedback at each round. In fact, I was surprised at the quality of the feedback given that the interviewers are so busy! So if you get the opportunity to interview, definitely request for feedback and it will help you to do well in future case interviews.

Interview Question – Market sizing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as it is a standard contract.

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details Everything was super professional. I had 2 interviews on campus and 3 interviews in-office. All the interviews included 10-15 minutes of behavioral questions and then a short case (20-30 minutes).

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details 2 cases during the 1st round interview. Cases were fair if you did case preps.

Interview Question – I had a market entry case. I did a cost-benefit analysis, calculated the approx. break-even period, but i didn't realize that there was a capacity issue until the very end. thought that was tricky   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied through my university, and completed a first round interview on campus. The interview was two separate case interviews with two separate interviewers. The cases were nothing too crazy. Minimal behavioral interview questions.

Interview Question – The case questions were largely graph and figure driven. Had to know to ask the right questions, but also how to be able to properly analyze the given data.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bain & Company

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company Associate Consultant interview questions and advice. All 125 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees and interview candidates.