Bain & Company

Updated 21 Jan, 2015

3.8

173 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

First round interview for a summer internship, 2 back to back 30 minute cases.

First case was a profitability case, pretty straightforward.

Second case was market sizing case mixed with some market expansion. It was a case the interviewer had worked on just the month before, so it was a bit harder because he was expecting certain answers.

Both interviewers were very nice and friendly!

Interview Questions
  • Calculate the size of the diary segment of the food services industry in Malaysia.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

First Round: 2 case interviews with Senior Consultants and Consultants
    Second Round: 2 case interviews with Principals/Partners and 1 Experience interview with a principal/partner

Most important thing is to be confident and have excellent math skills. I made some math errors, but it was not a big deal because I had shown excellent math skills in my first round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Negotiation Case - Was not expecting one of those   View Answer
    No Negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

very difficult process. First there are 2 case interviews about 30 minutes each. then final round has 3 45 minute interviews. Definitely recommend that you practice cases as much as possible, and try to set up interviews with smaller firms first.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

First Round of Interviews for a full time position. Consists of 2 30 minute business case interviews.

There are no behavioral interview questions on the first round, they are just testing if you can do the business case or not. This might throw the candidates off a bit, because it seems like they don't care about who you actually are.

They are very focused on the 80/20 rule. You need to seek out the 2-3 analysis' with the biggest impact and go through those VERY quickly and impressively to get to the Second round.

The interviewers were very rude and they did not seem like they care or respect the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • First case: A credit card company that is planning on launching a new airmiles reward card.
      Second case: A gold mining company looking in to expanding into copper mining

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Two rounds of interviews - first round on campus, second round at office. Extremely friendly interviewers. My first round-interviewer gave me tips for second round! Lots of math, lots of graphs, one brainsteaser during second round. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • A foreign investor wants to take down a highway and build real estate over it. Is she crazy?   Answer Question
    No negotiations for associate consultant position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in May 2010.

They called ahead to run mock cases. Very pleasant to deal with. The interview itself consisted of two case studies only. No personal questions. Very numerical.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions. There were no questions based on my background.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

applied through campus recruiting. they give a great presentation and sell you on their great culture right away. However it is clear in the first round interview you are judged much more on your case performance than behavioral. I have been told by peers who made it to the second round that there is a much more extensive behavioral component to the interview then, but i would suggest focusing heavily on case prep if you do make it to the first round.

Interview Questions
    • How many hot dogs are sold at NFL football games in a given year.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Maths test, first round (1 market sizing and 1 case) and final round (2 cases and 1 written case). All 6 interviewers that I had were incredibly friendly and supportive, in contrast with the popular 'stress test' that I heard about. The cases themselves were very interesting, which were often based on real life client engagements. I had cases about renewable energy, oil & gas, retail, restaurants and sports club. From my experience with other firms, the cases at Bain require much more analytical rigour. I would recommend candidates practise drawing insights from graphs and charts.

Interview Questions
    • Time constraints with regards to the written case study   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate - I was very happy with the overall package. Many great events are lined up for offerees to convince us to join the team.

Associate Consultant Interview

2 case interview in the first round, 45 minutes each. Cases were not very difficult, some calculation, both were about some basic financial maths. First a brief self-introduction and then case. The whole process was very conversational and interviewers were friendly. The cases were printed on some paper so you need to somehow read the case which is a little bit different from other consulting firms.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

I applied through my school's on campus recruiting website and was notified of my interview a few days letter. I am not sure how it is at most schools, but at my university (Ivy), the only way to get a consulting interview, especially at a Big 3, is to apply through the school. I had two 20 minute case interviews, the last two minutes of which were dedicated to ask questions. No behavioral questions were asked. Interviewers were really only interested in if I could do the case well, which is standard for many of the top consulting groups.