Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr, 2015

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First round interview for a summer internship, 2 back to back 30 minute cases.

First case was a profitability case, pretty straightforward.

Second case was market sizing case mixed with some market expansion. It was a case the interviewer had worked on just the month before, so it was a bit harder because he was expecting certain answers.

Both interviewers were very nice and friendly!

Interview Questions

• Calculate the size of the diary segment of the food services industry in Malaysia.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First Round: 2 case interviews with Senior Consultants and Consultants
    Second Round: 2 case interviews with Principals/Partners and 1 Experience interview with a principal/partner

Most important thing is to be confident and have excellent math skills. I made some math errors, but it was not a big deal because I had shown excellent math skills in my first round interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Toronto, ON).

Interview

very difficult process. First there are 2 case interviews about 30 minutes each. then final round has 3 45 minute interviews. Definitely recommend that you practice cases as much as possible, and try to set up interviews with smaller firms first.

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Toronto, ON) in October 2012.

Interview

First Round of Interviews for a full time position. Consists of 2 30 minute business case interviews.

There are no behavioral interview questions on the first round, they are just testing if you can do the business case or not. This might throw the candidates off a bit, because it seems like they don't care about who you actually are.

They are very focused on the 80/20 rule. You need to seek out the 2-3 analysis' with the biggest impact and go through those VERY quickly and impressively to get to the Second round.

The interviewers were very rude and they did not seem like they care or respect the candidates.

Interview Questions

• First case: A credit card company that is planning on launching a new airmiles reward card.
      Second case: A gold mining company looking in to expanding into copper mining

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Toronto, ON) in October 2012.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews - first round on campus, second round at office. Extremely friendly interviewers. My first round-interviewer gave me tips for second round! Lots of math, lots of graphs, one brainsteaser during second round. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• A foreign investor wants to take down a highway and build real estate over it. Is she crazy?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations for associate consultant position

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (Toronto, ON) in May 2010.

Interview

They called ahead to run mock cases. Very pleasant to deal with. The interview itself consisted of two case studies only. No personal questions. Very numerical.

Interview Questions

• The case questions. There were no questions based on my background.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Resume & Cover Letter online application, following on-campus presentation. Heard back about 10 days after applications closed.
    2. Pre-Interview event. This was really great - provided us with an opportunity to meet & build rapport with our interviewers in a casual setting & to familiarise ourselves with the office.
    3. First round interviews. 2 x 45 mins. The first involved a long case & a couple of CV/personal experience questions. The second was a shorter case & a few more CV/personal experience questions. There was time for questions. I was interviewed by a Principal & then Consultant and heard back the same evening - they gave great feedback on how I could improve my performance in the second round. Cases involved market entry/market sizing.
    4. Second round interviews. 3 hours. First a 40-min written case - got a pack of powerpoint slides & questions to answer. Then discussed answers & recommendations for the next 40 mins with an interviewer, who provided guidance/coaching where necessary (after answering some CV/personal experience Q's). The next two 40-min blocks were two more cases & more CV/personal experience questions. Was interviewed by two Partners and a Principal and heard back the same evening. Cases involved profit & loss, acquisitions, strategy.

Interview Questions

• Some variation on "tell me about yourself."   Answer Question
    • Why consulting (got asked this multiple times, given non-business background)? Why Bain?   Answer Question
    • It looks like you've had a lot of experience doing [work in specific field/industry]. Which one of these have you enjoyed most?   Answer Question
    • What do you like to do for fun?   Answer Question
    • [My area of study] is quite different from business. Are you sure consulting is what you want to do?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The interview was fairly standard. It started off with about 15 minutes of introductions and hellos and then proceeded to go into details regarding a case. The questions were very straight forward and fair however the case itself was quite challenging. I would definitely recommend prepping a lot beforehand to be prepared to give clear and concise answers effectively.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain and why consulting? (I was switching from another unrelated field)   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

First round has two 30-minute interviews, including self-introduction and a case. Very typical Bain style--straightforward and has market sizing component. Both interviewers are very nice and guided me through problem solving. They also made comment like "that is correct" after I did the calculation. Final round has two 45-minute interviews, with more behavior and fit questions as well as a more complicated case.

Interview Questions

• Qualitative question is hard to answer on the spot. They expect you to brainstorm some ideas very quickly.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

applied through campus recruiting. they give a great presentation and sell you on their great culture right away. However it is clear in the first round interview you are judged much more on your case performance than behavioral. I have been told by peers who made it to the second round that there is a much more extensive behavioral component to the interview then, but i would suggest focusing heavily on case prep if you do make it to the first round.

Interview Questions

• How many hot dogs are sold at NFL football games in a given year.   Answer Question