BJ's Restaurants

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Newport Beach, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BJ's Restaurants in December 2012.

Interview Details I applied online and didn't receive a call for about a week and a half. I had one brief interview and was asked to return for a 2nd with the general manager. After meeting with the general manager I was offered the position,

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to deal with an unhappy guest and how you helped the situation.   Answer Question

Frederick, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BJ's Restaurants in October 2013.

Interview Details Contacted by phone, meet with a manager and discuss work history, discuss availability, after hired intense training happens. You are given a copy of the menu with descriptions, you follow another server for a few days. You are then tested on the information and passing the test is the only way to get hired.

Interview Question – Why you want to work there?   Answer Question

Interviewed at BJ's Restaurants

Interview Details Applied online, was called within the week to go in for an interview ASAP, interviewed the next day and got the job. Started training the next day and was on the floor within a week.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Server Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BJ's Restaurants.

Interview Details I applied online and got a call within ten minutes of submitting the application. They had me come in that day to interview, then I was offered a job by the time I left their hiring center. It was for a new restaurant opening up so the volume of people they needed to hire was larger than average.They asked pretty basic interview questions, you'll get the job as long as you give common sense, 'good service is the most important thing in my life' answers

Interview Question – They asked for an example of the last time you dealt with a difficult customer. That's as difficult as it got.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Orlando, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at BJ's Restaurants in April 2013.

Interview Details Very easy hiring process ,managers are very nice no big hassle

Century City, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BJ's Restaurants in July 2013.

Interview Details Walked-In and showed general manager the resume, he loved it. There were three interviews, each with a different manager. For me, I secured the job the day I walked in, so it is difficult to know how scrutinous they can be. I can assure that The general manager is extremely sharp, and very capable of making it difficult.

Interview Question – Utter silence. a blank stare. "Tell me your story" was the look, and I was expected to fill the airwaves. It was a shocker   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Waco, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BJ's Restaurants in January 2013.

Interview Details Took a test online, then went up to the restaurant because I didn't want to just be a 'submitted app'. That worked for me! I met with the manager that day (albeit briefly) and then SILENCE. I didn't hear from them for 3-4 weeks. Just when I thought they'd forgotten about me, I got a call. I went in the next day, met with the GM and was hired on the spot. Training began a week later. Easy.

Interview Question – What's your favorite beer and how would you describe it   View Answer

Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BJ's Restaurants.

Interview Details 2 interviews. 1 if you've got a slew of experience. They don't hire people to serve who have no serving experience as the requirements for a server here are much higher than for other similarly priced restaurants.

LOTS of paperwork. Bring a signature stamp, you'll wish you had one. At least 15-20 signatures.

Lots of culture questions. Very basic, though. They want people who make the restaurant happier, not more complain-y.

Interview Question – "How do you handle stress? Give an example." Not unexpected, but a very broad question, and tricky to answer because you can't just say "great!" Also, we've all had our bad moments, and those are what tend to pop into our minds first.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation phase.

Laguna Hills, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BJ's Restaurants.

Interview Details *TIP* A referral will get your foot in the door! :)

Interview Process: Consisted of three interviews. Two floor managers and then the GM. There's a sheet of questions they ask directly from it. First two managers pretty much asked me the same things. Experience? Sales? Steps to service? then finally the interview with the GM after he made me wait 30 minutes lol, asked me "Why BJ's?" and "Why you?"

Hiring Process: Filled out application online. Assessment test. Went in to Bj's to drop my resume and have manager pull out application. Asked to come back for an interview. Hired. Training. Took a while because the next training seminar was a month after. in most cases its the week or two after. I just had an unusual circumstance. Tons of paperwork to fill out because Bj's is entirely corporate-based. GOLDEN STANDARD is strongly emphasized.

Interview Question – What was your favorite drink at your last job and what was in it :)   Answer Question

Server

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BJ's Restaurants in September 2010.

Interview Details Came in for the first interview, called back for a second interview and hired on the spot. Had to take a test and fill out paperwork all at the same time. Started Orientation a week later.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time there was a problem with a guest and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BJ's Restaurants

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BJ's Restaurants Server interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by BJ's Restaurants employees and interview candidates.