BHP Billiton

Updated 9 Dec, 2014
Updated 9 Dec, 2014

2.9

Contracts Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Took 3 months to get the initial call (they said it was due to reorg in the department ) - the HR phone interview went well. Got called for main interview. In the meantime also had to write 2 online tests - numerical and verbal reasoning. Not sure why the numerical since i was being interviewed for an assistant role in the contracts dept. (that job title is not listed in the menu hence i had to select contracts spec). the main interview was okay - the questions were mostly behavioral, the interviewers were very polite and courteous, but there were lots of questions on workplace/occupational safety - again not sure why since i was interviewing to be an assistant. Also when you reach their office for the interview you have to watch a safety video and answer Qs on that. All in all a positive experience though I didn't get the job, but would I apply to BHP again, yes I definitely would. I liked what I saw in general.

Reliability Engineer Mechanical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2012.

Interview process was long and waiting. I applied in july and got a call in september 2012 for the first HR interview. I prepared for it so it went very succesfully. they then sent me couple of tests. Numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning which I also practiced quite a lot and actually scored very well as I asked the HR lady and she confirmed that I did very well. I got around 16/18 in the numerical and it was really very hard test. Then i got a call for the final interview the the hiring manager. I had a week and I studied very hard, got a week's time off actually and I explored BHP in all the ways I can. googled the company, read the charter and also prepared myself for all the questions. Then the big day came, it was a video conference room and I was very confident and I gave about 90% answers correct technical answers. I have given around 15 interviews in my life and this was the second best. I even ran through bhp 's charter, handbook, videos, production, projects..anything i can think of as I really wanted to get in the company..My interview was actually prolonged to an hour and 12-15 mins and I had a great feeling after the interview..Unfortunately they replied back to me that they will not be proceeding any further with the recruitment process.. I dont know why. Probably there may be ppl more knowledgeable then me I guess

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2011.

Phone interview:

Tell me about your education?
    What do you know about the mining industry? BHP?
    ...and some other phone interview questions.

Land Graduate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Initial career fair and met with a couple representatives from BHP land group then applied for an interview through my university's career office. The night before the interview they took all the interview candidates to a nice dinner. The first interview was 2:1 and maybe asked one behavioral question, but the rest was relaxed conversation about my previous experience, etc. Six days later I received an invitation to fly to Houston for second round interviews. The interview was 3:1 and was still relaxed, but this time I was asked more behavioral questions. This interview lasted about 45 minutes. A week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame adversity.
      What is your biggest accomplishment?
      When achieving (your biggest accomplishment) what was the low point?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?

Answer Question
    Offer was very good so I did not negotiate

PC1 Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

I applied online and after a month they contacted me via email. After couple of weeks I got a call for a face to face interview. It was very informal. They asked normal behavior question and walk down in the plant.

only offer i got

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Phone screening, 2 to one with Senior manager and Vice President of department. Asked for background, experience, gave details of role, standard questions "give us an example of..." "Tell us a situation where". Asked about knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you know the businesses in the company, as it is a huge company recommend doing research on all of the arms.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate and got what i wanted after standing my ground on Salary.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2014.

Responded to Online advert, then phone interview.
    Interview structure is based around core values. "One of our values is 'xyz', give an example of when you have demonstrated this behaviour." Went through all of the values then asked a technical question. "Lets say you saw your plant behaving like 'abc', what would you look at and how would you respond?"

Interview Questions
    • The questions about the values. Luckily I had prepared but it would be challenging if you hadn't   Answer Question

Term was too short.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santiago (Chile)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santiago (Chile)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2014.

The process was very lengthy and difficult. It involved taking several online tests (math, english,personality, etc.) a phone interview, and finally an invitation to an assessment centre which consisted of a face-to-face interview and two group activities: one in english and one in the national language.
    The phone interview was very straightforward: What was my interest in the company, what were my work motivations, where did I see myself in three years, etc.
    The face-to-face interview was mostly behavioral questions: Tell me a situation in which you had to prioritize something important to you. Tell me about a situation you dealt with you felt was unsafe, etc.
    The group activities were very standard, we worked in groups of six. They gave us ten minutes to read a document then another 20 to find a suitable solution as a group, and give a presentation. The solution itself wasn't too important, they mostly cared about how we worked together.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all very standard. The behavioral questions caught me slightly off guard.   Answer Question

Petrophysicist Interview

interviewed at BHP Billiton in September 2014.

Got the interview call via on-campus recruitment. Their HR contacted me by mail and there was a pre-interview dinner. The first round was behavioural and mostly about my research experience

Interview Questions
    • If I asked your advisor, what would he/she say was your biggest strength and biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Data Improvement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wollongong (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wollongong (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Was recruited through an employment company on contract basis. Interview process was limited because they wanted my expertise. Phone interview firstly then a 1:1 interview with the HR manager. Job offer.

Interview Questions
    • What can I bring to the company long term.   View Answer
    Accepted the job on their base offer.