BHP Billiton

68 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Contracts Specialist Interview

Contracts Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details Took 3 months to get the initial call (they said it was due to reorg in the department ) - the HR phone interview went well. Got called for main interview. In the meantime also had to write 2 online tests - numerical and verbal reasoning. Not sure why the numerical since i was being interviewed for an assistant role in the contracts dept. (that job title is not listed in the menu hence i had to select contracts spec). the main interview was okay - the questions were mostly behavioral, the interviewers were very polite and courteous, but there were lots of questions on workplace/occupational safety - again not sure why since i was interviewing to be an assistant. Also when you reach their office for the interview you have to watch a safety video and answer Qs on that. All in all a positive experience though I didn't get the job, but would I apply to BHP again, yes I definitely would. I liked what I saw in general.

Interview Question – Questions on occupational/workplace safety   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer Mechanical Interview

Reliability Engineer Mechanical
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2012.

Interview Details Interview process was long and waiting. I applied in july and got a call in september 2012 for the first HR interview. I prepared for it so it went very succesfully. they then sent me couple of tests. Numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning which I also practiced quite a lot and actually scored very well as I asked the HR lady and she confirmed that I did very well. I got around 16/18 in the numerical and it was really very hard test. Then i got a call for the final interview the the hiring manager. I had a week and I studied very hard, got a week's time off actually and I explored BHP in all the ways I can. googled the company, read the charter and also prepared myself for all the questions. Then the big day came, it was a video conference room and I was very confident and I gave about 90% answers correct technical answers. I have given around 15 interviews in my life and this was the second best. I even ran through bhp 's charter, handbook, videos, production, projects..anything i can think of as I really wanted to get in the company..My interview was actually prolonged to an hour and 12-15 mins and I had a great feeling after the interview..Unfortunately they replied back to me that they will not be proceeding any further with the recruitment process.. I dont know why. Probably there may be ppl more knowledgeable then me I guess

Interview Question – what is OEE   View Answer

Graduate Program Interview

Graduate Program
Saskatoon, SK

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2011.

Interview Details Phone interview:

Tell me about your education?
What do you know about the mining industry? BHP?
...and some other phone interview questions.

Interview Questions

Maintenance Interview

Maintenance
Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Interviewed at BHP Billiton

Interview Details there was nothing particular about the hiring process, it was what could be described as a regular process, position advertised, applied for, review of CV's, short listing, interviewing, consideration, offer, acceptance, set start date.

Interview Question – regular questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – set price

Financial Controller Interview

Financial Controller
Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in August 2010.

Interview Details Individual orientated and teh specific manager applies his or her own mind as to the process to assess candidates for suitable and fit with the specific team. Might include formal testing and most likely will for senioor positions.

Interview Question – Describe the best investment evaluation method specific to exploration projects and the reasons you think it to be appropriate.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Quite informal and accommodating.

Measurement Analyst Interview

Measurement Analyst

Interviewed at BHP Billiton

Interview Details Quick process! Applied online and found some contacts through LinkedIn. Gave me the red carpet treatment for my face to face interview. Overall process took less than a month. HR is detailed oriented and thorough.

Interview Question – Asked me about specific measurement software and my experience with it   Answer Question

Graduate Metallurgist Interview

Graduate Metallurgist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in May 2014.

Interview Details Initial online applications, then online assessment (comprehension, numerical, logical), the online video interview (4 questions, 30 seconds to read the question, then 2 minutes to answer), the selection centre (in-person behavioural interview - starting off with basic "tell us about yourself" question, "what do you know about our company" question, then 3 or so behavioural questions on safety, teamwork, and adapting to a new workplace/style, and two different group discussions/presentations). Next will be site-based selection, possibly involving another interview, then reference checks and medicals.

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you were given negative criticism. How did you react, and what did you do as a result? [something along those lines]   Answer Question

Geoscience Technician Interview

Geoscience Technician
Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in February 2014.

Interview Details Submitted application and within a week or so I received an email requesting my availability for the following two weeks to schedule a 30 minute phone interview. The phone interview actually occurred 4 days later and went excellent. The hiring manager suggested that I be scheduled for a face to face, 2 separate panel interview which occurred two weeks later.

First met with HR. No questions, just simply explained the benefits and answered any questions I had.

Then met with the hiring manager, another manager and a team member. First half explained the way the Petroleum part of the company worked and how the position fits in to that piece. Then the barrage of questions start from mainly the two people that were not part of the initial phone interview. I felt like I was batting 1.000 and felt very confident in their perception of me and my thorough responses. Great experience. When it was done they advised me that the second panel interview was cancelled.

The next day I was told that they wanted to make me an offer.

Interview Question – "You have listed quite a few BHP employees as references, what do you expect them to say about you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Back and forth negotiating.

Information Management Analyst Interview

Information Management Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details 1 phone interview and 1 panel interview with 5 people. brutal process

Interview Question – lots of behavioral questions   Answer Question

Senior Finance Analyst Interview

Senior Finance Analyst
Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in March 2014.

Interview Details Very detailed, recruiter interview, phone interviee and then possible face interview.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 3 years   Answer Question

Worked for BHP Billiton? Contribute to the Community!