BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr, 2015
Updated 13 Apr, 2015

2.9

Enterprise Architect Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

The interview process was a long one. It started by a phone interview to screen potential candidates. From there there was a couple of lengthy online assessments that were needed to be filled out. Little regarding the online assessment had anything to do with the position being applied for. From there it was a traditional face to face interview with 3 representatives from the organization.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were nothing out of the ordinary. Typical skills questions, background experience etc.   Answer Question

Contracts Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

Took 3 months to get the initial call (they said it was due to reorg in the department ) - the HR phone interview went well. Got called for main interview. In the meantime also had to write 2 online tests - numerical and verbal reasoning. Not sure why the numerical since i was being interviewed for an assistant role in the contracts dept. (that job title is not listed in the menu hence i had to select contracts spec). the main interview was okay - the questions were mostly behavioral, the interviewers were very polite and courteous, but there were lots of questions on workplace/occupational safety - again not sure why since i was interviewing to be an assistant. Also when you reach their office for the interview you have to watch a safety video and answer Qs on that. All in all a positive experience though I didn't get the job, but would I apply to BHP again, yes I definitely would. I liked what I saw in general.

Reliability Engineer Mechanical Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Toronto, ON) in October 2012.

Interview

Interview process was long and waiting. I applied in july and got a call in september 2012 for the first HR interview. I prepared for it so it went very succesfully. they then sent me couple of tests. Numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning which I also practiced quite a lot and actually scored very well as I asked the HR lady and she confirmed that I did very well. I got around 16/18 in the numerical and it was really very hard test. Then i got a call for the final interview the the hiring manager. I had a week and I studied very hard, got a week's time off actually and I explored BHP in all the ways I can. googled the company, read the charter and also prepared myself for all the questions. Then the big day came, it was a video conference room and I was very confident and I gave about 90% answers correct technical answers. I have given around 15 interviews in my life and this was the second best. I even ran through bhp 's charter, handbook, videos, production, projects..anything i can think of as I really wanted to get in the company..My interview was actually prolonged to an hour and 12-15 mins and I had a great feeling after the interview..Unfortunately they replied back to me that they will not be proceeding any further with the recruitment process.. I dont know why. Probably there may be ppl more knowledgeable then me I guess

Graduate Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Saskatoon, SK) in November 2011.

Interview

Phone interview:

Tell me about your education?
    What do you know about the mining industry? BHP?
    ...and some other phone interview questions.

Supply Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

I got an interview via campus recruiting procedures at my university. I didn't get a lot of information about the company upfront- BHP knows it holds a competitive environment and it expects people to seek information for themselves. My interview was more cultural than anything else- the interviewers just wanted to get a feel for my personality and see that I was confident enough to be relaxed throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• How do your values make you different in a professional environment?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, but the offer was competitive.

Engineering Manager (Petroleum) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

One interview with HR rep and senior manager, behavioural based, STAR method and based mainly on the BHP charter and how that relates to your previous experiences. Make sure you understand the charter and how it could relate to you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation required, offer was exactly on the money and aligned with top quartile market rates, excellent....

Economic Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

Applied online. Started with a phone interview with hiring manager then an in-person interview.

Interview was technical and they wanted to know what kind of economic evaluations I've done.

I was not selected for the role and I'm not sure why.

Land Graduate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

Initial career fair and met with a couple representatives from BHP land group then applied for an interview through my university's career office. The night before the interview they took all the interview candidates to a nice dinner. The first interview was 2:1 and maybe asked one behavioral question, but the rest was relaxed conversation about my previous experience, etc. Six days later I received an invitation to fly to Houston for second round interviews. The interview was 3:1 and was still relaxed, but this time I was asked more behavioral questions. This interview lasted about 45 minutes. A week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you overcame adversity.
      What is your biggest accomplishment?
      When achieving (your biggest accomplishment) what was the low point?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was very good so I did not negotiate

PC1 Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

I applied online and after a month they contacted me via email. After couple of weeks I got a call for a face to face interview. It was very informal. They asked normal behavior question and walk down in the plant.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

only offer i got

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

Phone screening, 2 to one with Senior manager and Vice President of department. Asked for background, experience, gave details of role, standard questions "give us an example of..." "Tell us a situation where". Asked about knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions

• How well do you know the businesses in the company, as it is a huge company recommend doing research on all of the arms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and got what i wanted after standing my ground on Salary.