BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated 10 Sep, 2014
Updated 10 Sep, 2014

Contracts Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Took 3 months to get the initial call (they said it was due to reorg in the department ) - the HR phone interview went well. Got called for main interview. In the meantime also had to write 2 online tests - numerical and verbal reasoning. Not sure why the numerical since i was being interviewed for an assistant role in the contracts dept. (that job title is not listed in the menu hence i had to select contracts spec). the main interview was okay - the questions were mostly behavioral, the interviewers were very polite and courteous, but there were lots of questions on workplace/occupational safety - again not sure why since i was interviewing to be an assistant. Also when you reach their office for the interview you have to watch a safety video and answer Qs on that. All in all a positive experience though I didn't get the job, but would I apply to BHP again, yes I definitely would. I liked what I saw in general.

Reliability Engineer Mechanical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2012.

Interview process was long and waiting. I applied in july and got a call in september 2012 for the first HR interview. I prepared for it so it went very succesfully. they then sent me couple of tests. Numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning which I also practiced quite a lot and actually scored very well as I asked the HR lady and she confirmed that I did very well. I got around 16/18 in the numerical and it was really very hard test. Then i got a call for the final interview the the hiring manager. I had a week and I studied very hard, got a week's time off actually and I explored BHP in all the ways I can. googled the company, read the charter and also prepared myself for all the questions. Then the big day came, it was a video conference room and I was very confident and I gave about 90% answers correct technical answers. I have given around 15 interviews in my life and this was the second best. I even ran through bhp 's charter, handbook, videos, production, projects..anything i can think of as I really wanted to get in the company..My interview was actually prolonged to an hour and 12-15 mins and I had a great feeling after the interview..Unfortunately they replied back to me that they will not be proceeding any further with the recruitment process.. I dont know why. Probably there may be ppl more knowledgeable then me I guess

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saskatoon, SK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2011.

Phone interview:

Tell me about your education?
    What do you know about the mining industry? BHP?
    ...and some other phone interview questions.

Data Improvement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wollongong (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wollongong (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Was recruited through an employment company on contract basis. Interview process was limited because they wanted my expertise. Phone interview firstly then a 1:1 interview with the HR manager. Job offer.

Interview Questions
    • What can I bring to the company long term.   View Answer
    Accepted the job on their base offer.

Senior Maintenance Technician Interview

I applied online - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview about code of conduct and behavioural based questions, give examples in the star basis, situation, task, action, result. Process takes around an hour, research the BHP code of conduct and you will find it easy.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

2 interviews . one by phone and the last one through video conference. However, this was before many of the changes in processes at the company. Then i had to go through a personality test where you draw cards and you have to put them in different stacks. This is is to understand how you think.

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

there was nothing particular about the hiring process, it was what could be described as a regular process, position advertised, applied for, review of CV's, short listing, interviewing, consideration, offer, acceptance, set start date.

set price

Land Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in June 2014.

Too lengthy, could take up to 2 months. Panel interview with 3 managers in a conference room. Breifed with HR rep before interview, questions were pretty basic interview questions. Wear a suit and be well spoken, there will most likely be a Manager that is stoic and not friendly

Interview Questions
    • Describe a sitiuation in which you played a lead role and a supportive roll on a team   View Answer
    I didnt get the position I applied for, instead I was contacted by one of the panel Managers and offered a contract position

Measurement Analyst Interview

Quick process! Applied online and found some contacts through LinkedIn. Gave me the red carpet treatment for my face to face interview. Overall process took less than a month. HR is detailed oriented and thorough.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about specific measurement software and my experience with it   Answer Question

Graduate Metallurgist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in May 2014.

Initial online applications, then online assessment (comprehension, numerical, logical), the online video interview (4 questions, 30 seconds to read the question, then 2 minutes to answer), the selection centre (in-person behavioural interview - starting off with basic "tell us about yourself" question, "what do you know about our company" question, then 3 or so behavioural questions on safety, teamwork, and adapting to a new workplace/style, and two different group discussions/presentations). Next will be site-based selection, possibly involving another interview, then reference checks and medicals.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you were given negative criticism. How did you react, and what did you do as a result? [something along those lines]   Answer Question

Worked for BHP Billiton? Contribute to the Community!