AppFolio

15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Development Representative Interview

Sales Development Representative

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview Details The interview process was easy and was not overwhelming. I was a bit nervous going in, but when things got rolling everything was pretty smooth. No questions that were out of the ordinary and got straight to the point.

On-Boarding Specialist Interview

On-Boarding Specialist
Goleta, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AppFolio in September 2011.

Interview Details The interview process for the on-boarding specialist role entails meeting with the VP, and respective directors of the Value Added departments. If you are considered a good fit for the position you will be asked to sit in with one of the specialist so that they can show you a day in the life. Be nice to your specialist because they will be reporting directly to the VP or the director to determine if they believe you will be a good fit on the team.

Interview Question – Questions vary and the idea is to identify if you have good interpersonal skills, and effective verbal communication. Be natural and you will do well. AppFolio does not ask what your spirit animal is or anything strange, but be prepared to explain a situation you were able to effectively handle a customer concern.   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Software QA Engineer
Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AppFolio in May 2014.

Interview Details They had about 6 to 7 rounds of interviews.

The first one was with the VP of Engineering. He is a nice guy, really smart (according to me). He asked me a lot of Automation & Design Questions from my previous organization projects.

Then the Director of Software Engineering interviewed me, he was very knowledgeable. He asked about all the tools I had used. The questions were simple about OOPS, DataStructures. Not really tough questions.

Then I was interviewed by an Engineer, he asked me a puzzle - if there were 15 horses, and if you could race 3 at a time. Whats the minimum number of races that is required to determine the top three horses. He then asked me to generalize this problem for any number of horses. Then a python code for the same to finish it off.

Then the QA Director, asked me a bunch of questions mainly on product. They explained their product clearly. After that they asked me a bunch of QA Questions mostly related to Sprint Planning, Agile Process, Regression Tests, etc. If you are in QA for a long time - this should be easy for you.

All the interviewers were nice, they try to help you to think - once they have asked their question.

NOTE : if you donot know something, say you dont know !! They appreciate it. In my case I was not good in JScript & Ruby - I told them and they liked it.

Interview Question – if there were 15 horses, and if you could race 3 at a time. Whats the minimum number of races that is required to determine the top three horses. He then asked me to generalize this problem for any number of horses. Then a python code for the same to finish it off   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They start off offering you a very little package.

You can easily demand more than what they offer - if you feel you deserve it. They will try their best to match it.

User Experience Designer Interview

User Experience Designer
Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at AppFolio in February 2014.

Interview Details Staff I interviewed with were very flaky. Multiple staff members missed interview times on multiple occasions with me and my references that they requested to speak to. Interview process took 60+ days. They NEVER communicated to me when they said they would. During interviews when I asked product folks about how they were improving their product (site filled with obvious bugs, non functional App.) they all changed subject to discuss another product they were working on. Would be a good work place for younger professionals who like to play with nerf guns but does not appear to be a good place for seasoned professionals. Smart engineering team seems to run the show. Seems to be some process work issues between design and Eng. teams Overall, Nice people and they all seem to enjoy working together but lack serious professional experience.

Interview Question – I was asked to provide a heuristic review of their products. and presented my findings.   View Answer

Client Account Representative Interview

Client Account Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at AppFolio in May 2010.

Interview Details I was reached out to via a recruiter to see if I would be interested in moving to AppFolio from my current position. I met with the CFO, toured the facility and discussed the opportunity at hand. My experience was pretty casual and I wouldn't consider it a formal review.

Interview Question – How I could contribute to this new position incorporating my past experience to apply to this very different oppotunity   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was a big change in positions for me from my current employer at the time and I was very happy where I was. The offer was decent and the company looked like a really fun place to work. I wasn't motivated by it to move from where I wast though.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at AppFolio in February 2014.

Interview Details Overall exp was good .initially had 2 phone interviews and 2 skype interviews .then I was asked visit SB office and the interviewers were friendly and lunch was provided .

Interview Question – 2 skype interviews and 4 rounds of onsite interviews .Interview was general programming and some questions to test your aptitude .   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Sales Development Representative

Interviewed at AppFolio

Interview Details They were nice on the phone. I got a call within a few weeks of submitting an application. They are a small startup that is looking to grow their business and want to have entry level people to help them grow.

Interview Question – Tell us about Appfolio and how you would make a cold call   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AppFolio in January 2014.

Interview Details Screening/behavioral questions with HR on phone first. Then a phone interview with Andrew Mutz. Very nice people. Fair questions. Asked a lot about complexity and ways to improve efficiency of your code. I just blanked.

Interview Question – 1. Given an array that contains duplicates (except for one value), find the one value that does not have a duplicate in that array. Explain the complexity of your algorithm. So in the array: A = [2, 3, 4, 5, 2, 3, 4] your algorithm should return 5 since that's the value that does not have a duplicate.

2. Explain the process that happens when you type your username and hit submit on a website (HTTP, server/client communication, etc...)
  View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at AppFolio

Interview Details on campus recruiting but still need to apply online. They give me a phone interview but later they don't want to forward the interview.

Interview Question – tell your experience which has relation to the job   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

QA Tester

Interviewed at AppFolio

Interview Details This manager of this company is a graduate from UCSB, so if you are a student from UCSB and looking for jobs, you'd better have a try. I have experience three rounds of interviews, including a telephone interview and two on-site interviews.

Interview Question – The most part is form a CS Phd, and he asked me one logical question. This question aimed to test if you are a quick learner. But I failed   Answer Question

Worked for AppFolio? Contribute to the Community!