Anheuser-Busch

Relevance Date Difficulty

Global Management Trainee Interview

Global Management Trainee
Montreal, QC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Anheuser-Busch in September 2012.

Interview Details The people were overworked, HR seems drained, they even lacked the basic courtesy to give me a response. They had multiple rounds for their interview. First step was to complete an online logic test, somewhat similar to the GMAT's CR. Then they conducted case interviews online. After that you had to go through 3 more rounds of interview. For this position, they're looking for someone who has leadership experience, someone who's willing to work hard for meager pay.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. A few leadership type questions.   Answer Question

Group Manager Interview

Group Manager
Van Nuys, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Anheuser-Busch in April 2014.

Interview Details Originally I had applied to a random position I had qualified for within AB. Several months later I was contacted by HR and was selected to apply for the Group Manager position. I re-submit my application and was approved to continue the hiring process.

The first 3 stages of the hiring process were fast, transparent, and very telling. The first step was to complete a series of online questioners designed to weed out candidates that were not qualified. Simple management style questions to gauge your personality and experience with different situations.

I successfully passed that phase and moved on to yet another online assessment where I had to answer more business minded questions demonstrating my basic math, finance, and process flow abilities. The first type of question asks about your experiences at work. The second type of question asks you to solve typical work problems using information in tables, charts and graphs. The third type of question describes work situations and possible action you could take.

After passing this step, I scheduled an on-site interview with the Operations Manager at the brewery. I had scheduled the interview for early in the morning and was directed to the security office where I was instructed on where to go. It seemed like a very close-knit community when stepping foot onto the AB facility, as it seems everyone knows everyone else.

After sitting in the lobby for quite some time, everyone was ready to begin the interview, but there had been some big brewery emergency and my interview had been cut down from 3 people to 1 person. I didn't mind the one-on-one experience, but I feel it had held me back from answering more of a wide array of questions, and getting to ask different people about different elements of their job and operational function. Regardless, I felt it went very well, and I proceeded to await further communication from the HR manager.

I successfully passed the interview step and was then assigned to conduct another series of tests and TAP assessments - developing a Brewing Schedule, meeting with an employee, and meeting with a team (of two other people). I'd have to say the brewing schedule will trip anyone up if you're not methodical about it or cannot pinpoint your mistakes. The employees are easy to handle if you avoid confrontations, are assertive, and can manage the anger level.

I had passed that portion and the next step was to schedule a final interview with the Brewery GM and some other individuals. This group setting was very informal. They did not have a set list of those packet questions to ask so they just grilled me on my personality, experiences, contacts, desire to work, etc. Very informal, positive, and reassuring.

This entire process took about 1 month. Then the waiting game commenced. I have been waiting for a response regarding my progress for 2 months, and it was about 2 weeks short of the three month mark of total time from start to "finish" that I received an email letting me know I was still being considered and they were still interviewing candidates.

It's quite understandable that they have a lot of people to interview and schedules to balance, but a bit more transparency and honesty would be nice. But it turns out that's a bit far fetched. Anyway, still waiting on an answer, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to work here, but the waiting for a response to anything is absolutely agonizing.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where the tensions were high and you had to handle a situation while respecting the others there.

Tell me about a time you had to prioritize an important task.
  Answer Question

Group Manager Interview

Group Manager
Van Nuys, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Anheuser-Busch in March 2014.

Interview Details Step 1: Apply Online

Step 2: Received E-mail for online skills test.
Very basic test covering basic mathematics, logic/reasoning, and least / most likely to do questions based on given scenario.

Step 3: Phone Screen Interview
Typical phone screen. Test your fit in the position and company. Asks a lot of questions based on your resume and you must back it up with clear and precise examples as well as experience in skills related directly to the job. Ask you to rate yourself on various skills: excel, six sigma, PLC programming. TIP: Give very specific example of your work from previous experiences and elaborate.

Step 4: TAP
Onsite telephone role play. They sit you in a room by yourself and give you packets of information to sort through and prepare for call in which you have to role play the imaginary scenario and character. CALL 1: Given a packet with various members of your team, skillset, and schedule. You boss calls you with an emergency and wants you to reassign your team members to take care of the issue, but also getting the daily schedule complete as well. CALL 2: Given emails and memos to sort through based on purchasing on new equipment or use funding on maintenance instead. Pick how you would like the money used and explain your reasoning to your coworker who is in accounting. You must present the facts from your given information to back up your reasoning. CALL 3: Three way call with two coworkers having issues working with each other and are starting to yell and bicker at each other; now the project is in danger of missing the deadline. They could not settle on how to move project forward, so as the boss you must choose. One of the callers would be offended, begin to insult the other caller and you must calm the tensions. Be specific with your decision, but also be assertive in having the confidence in them, so they would continue working together. TIP: No way to really prepare as it TAP was uncommon to me. Just play the role, don't stress, and have fun.

Step 5: Final Interview
Onsite interview with same questions from the phone screen with Brewery Manager, Brew Master, and HR Person. TIP: Tell them why you want to work for Anheuser. That reason is very important to them.

Step 6: Loss for words
I applied for one position and was sure I got it; however, HR called and would like to have me interview for Group Manager instead. I was floored, but understood and felt it was a great opportunity. They told me they had to get word back from corporate and should take 3 days.

Step 7: Emotionally Drained
Thought I got the position, but 1 month passed before I got an email say they actually wanted to interview me again.

Step 8: Final Interview: Part 2
Same questions as previous interview, but had to convince them you want this job. TIP: Don't be afraid to tell them why you want this job.

Step 9: Offer
Got an offer in the email a few days later stating an offer was in the mail. Pending drug and background check, I should be in.

Overall Feelings:
Process took a little over 4 months. It is a long and emotionally draining process, but AB knows who they want and want to choose the right person, so that is not only understandable, but beneficial to their future hires.

Interview Question – TAP Interview because it was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not negotiated because it was fair.

Plant Engineer Interview

Plant Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Anheuser-Busch.

Interview Details Made initial contact with recruiters at college career fair in the morning and was asked to return for follow-up interview that afternoon. Afternoon interview consisted of a 3-person panel interview (2 from HR and 1 from engineering). Time was spent going-through my resume and experience, with much discussion on whether I was interested in a position as a plant engineer (doing actual engineering work) or as an engineering manager (managing personnel) - I was more interested in the former rather than the latter. Following the panel interview, I had to take a test that evaluated personality and management/leadership style.

Interview Question – Was asked to explain a time that I had to quickly solve an unexpected engineering problem involving a project I was working on. While I was able to answer the question well with a good example, being a college student at the time, I thought that some (if not many) college students might not have relevant experience to draw-upon for answering such a question.   Answer Question

Lab Analyst Interview

Lab Analyst

Interviewed at Anheuser-Busch

Interview Details 1. Apply for job
2. Online assessment based on your work ethic
3. Online aptitude test
4. Informal interview with HR and Lead Analyst
- asked about 7 behavioral questions: "describe a time your work was criticized."
5. Tap-telephone assessment (I am waiting to do this)

Interview Question – Have you ever had to motivate someone about a new procedure who didn’t agree with it, if so how did you motivate them?   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Production Supervisor
Columbus, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Anheuser-Busch.

Interview Details I was given a phone interview for a production manager role that would be on shift. When I was initially contacted via email by the HR rep, she scheduled the interview for 9AM on a Tuesday. That day I was waiting for the call, but at 9AM nothing happened. I continued waiting until 912AM until I decided to call her, but I got her voicemail, so I left a message. Three minutes later she finally called saying she was busy. However, I was the first appointment of her day. She was accompanied by two other shift managers in a conference call setting. None of the employees sounded extremely happy to be there. It was clear from the tones of their voices that they held slight dissatisfaction with their jobs. It also irked me that this was the first time I've ever had an interviewer not only call me late but make excuses for it as well.

I was offered to continue the process, but I declined and explicitly cited that the tardiness and apathetic nature of all those who interviewed me indicated that AB was not a place I would enjoy working.

Interview Question – If a chair broke during your shift, what would you do?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Anheuser-Busch.

Interview Details Got the interview through On Campus Recruiting, was contact approximately 2 weeks after to set up an interview. Questions were pretty predictable and answerable, no real curve balls. Is more of a corporate finance role.

Interview Question – Pretty predictable "fit" questions   Answer Question

Logistics Interview

Logistics
Prague (Czech Republic)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Anheuser-Busch.

Interview Details Great first interview with recruiters, second one with the line manager and the third one with hiring manager. General recruitment interview, in the second round I had to fill out a case study, third one was a general interview again.

Interview Question – Case Study   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Anheuser-Busch

Interview Details Talked to Anheuser-Busch at a career fair and had a follow-up interview the same day. To be considered, the interviewee must have at least a 2.8 GPA minimum. Interviewer read off a sheet of pre-determined questions and filled in the blanks as each question was asked. Very relaxed interview altogether and no curveballs which means you will have to stand out among the generic questions they ask you.

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you helped others in need   Answer Question

Weekender Interview

Weekender
Fairfield, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Anheuser-Busch in August 2013.

Interview Details I have a friend who works there and he told me to apply for the Weekender Manager position. I had a little managerial experience but nothing in the distribution field, which is probably why I wasn't offered the job.

Interview process was pretty intense, and time consuming. Even though I wasn't offered the job it was a good experience in dealing with a long, multiple level interview. Here is an outline of the interview process:

1) 30-45 minute phone interview, asking all the normal questions, and going over your resume and qualifications.

2) If you pass the phone interview you have to go in to the plant to do a Math test, and then a test depending on the job you are applying for. The math test was about 15 questions and was simple percentage and scheduling type stuff; this part was timed (I think it was 20 minutes to do 15 questions). The other test I took was much longer, not timed, and asked situational questions. The majority of the questions would lay out a situation and ask you to select two answers 1) what you would MOST likely do in the situation, and 2) what would you LEAST likely do in the given situation. I felt like that test was two fold, partly seeing how you would manage a difficult situation, and partly a psych evaluation.

3) If you pass the basic skills test, they then invite you to the plant to do a structured interview. When I say structured I mean insanely structured; the interviewers each had packets and would literally rate you on a number scale as to how well you responded to their questions (very impersonal). I had two people interviewing me, one was the HR guy who I was in contact with through the entire process, and one was a senior manager at the plant. The questions were very generic and really let you pick how you wanted to answer them, overall no really surprising questions. At the end they ask you about 10 questions asking you to rank your own proficiency in certain skill areas, which is annoying because you don't want to come across as over-confident, but also want to let them know your strengths. During the interview the manager got called on his walkie talkie and had to leave temporarily, which was kind of strange but understandable, the plant is running all the time and I guess there was an issue.

4) After my interview I didn't get asked to continue to the next part, they said they had other candidates with years of managerial experience so I wasn't too surprised. I guess the next part in the process is another managerial assessment, where they give you mock situations and you have to plan a response. Apparently its pretty in depth and takes about 2 to 3 hours.

Not entirely sure about the next step in the process, but I think if you pass the mock situation part, they have one final interview where they offer you the job.

Interview Question – When they asked me to rank my proficiency in electrical circuits I responded "very proficient". I guess one of the interviewers was skeptical that I was proficient and asked me "Ok, whats Ohm's Law?" Never thought I'd get that question applying for a managers position, but luckily I knew it.   View Answer

Worked for Anheuser-Busch? Contribute to the Community!