Analysis Group

Analysis Group Interview Questions

Updated 20 Feb, 2015
Updated 20 Feb, 2015

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group.

Invited to do a 30-minute face-to-face interview. There were 6 interviewers. 2 of them asked me questions related to my background and interests. There are basic questions. I feel that they were looking for people passionate about working in a consulting firm, which I did not show.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Analysis Group in October 2013.

Straightforward procedure. 2 rounds: phone interview and then a face-face.

1) Phone interview with 2 people: not a difficult interview at all; you will be fine as long as you understand:
    - how to discuss your research in detail (they can really ask any question about your research - no questions relating to your research are out of bounds)
    - can talk a bit about yourself (i.e. introduce yourself, explain why you are interested in analysis group and in this particular job, what skills you can bring to the table)
    - understand the job (i.e. know what economic consulting is and have a fair idea of what an Analyst does)
    They won't cover everything stated, but they will be able to tell how interested you are, whether you know what you're getting yourself into, and whether you've got the research/analytical skills.

2) Face-face (lunch with analysts, interviews with ~ 6 managers where a case-type question or a brainteaser-type question may come up, and an excel test)
    - Lunch: nothing special - just eat enough to not fall asleep and talk and don't be weird.
    - Face-face interviews include:
    -- Conversations - peppered with behavioral questions (but behavioral questions may not come up and the interviewer may simply choose to have a conversation where you discuss your background and your interest in the role) and he/she discusses his/her background and their experiences working at the company. Have useful/relevant questions prepared to ask.
    -- An excel test - not difficult; it will be an example of a case they have actually worked on where they provide you with data you need to assess. It will require you to do some thinking about the problem they propose (e.g. what additional data would be useful; how useful the data presented is etc.), and some excel-calculation questions (know the basic - averages, sums, counts, etc.).
    -- A mini-case or brainteaser or two may come up: don' freak out - they actually want you to do well and will work with you (they don't expect you to have the 100% correct answer) but just be able to talk through your reasoning. If a case-type question comes up then it will be based on an actual case they have worked on or a brainteaser that requires you to just do some calculations (interview reviews below elucidate what types of cases and brainteasers may come up and they are fairly accurate).

Overall: no one goes out of their way to give you a hard time, people are generally nice, collegial, an happy to meet and get to know/learn about you.

No unexpected econometrics questions. Understand your research in and out. They didn't go out of their way to ask econometrics questions - metrics questions did come up, but within the context of my research. e.g. if you did a regression, know why you chose the specific method you chose, why you chose those specific controls etc.

Suggestion to prepare: read over your research and continually think to yourself in terms of methodology 'what were my alternative methodologies?' and 'why did i choose this methodology?'. In terms of results 'why did i get these results?' and be able to explain them. Also be able to clearly and concisely discuss the motivation behind your research (i.e. why you chose to pursue the topic you pursued).

No unexpected behavioral questions. In fact, no behavioral questions really came up - it was primarily a conversation with the interviewers. But, behavioral questions may come up so generally prepare for questions revolving around collaborative work and analytical work, and know useful/relevant real-life examples to elucidate. If they don't come up, bring up examples relating to collaborative work and analytical work since it is what they will be looking for in a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or terribly difficult questions. Read above.   Answer Question
    Easy process - they are not very flexible in terms of Analyst salaries, but the starting offer was good to begin with. However, keep in mind that they do pay the same amount to Analysts across the US, so the salary can be relatively better (e.g. if you are living in a low cost area) or not as good (if you are living in a high cost area). But a good offer to begin with.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Analysis Group.

I applied through my college's Career Services Office and had a Skype interview about two weeks after. The interview was mostly behavioral questions, but they also asked me to comment on a recent research project that I had and to demonstrate a skill/capacity that I had obtain with my latest campus job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a research project that you've done. How would you make it better?   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Analysis Group.

One to two weeks after I submit the resume and cover letter online I got a one to one in person interview on campus. I didn't get a phone interview. The interview is not hard, it went like 15 minutes. It's just regular questions, no case study.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think an analyst do in AG?   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Analysis Group.

It was a Skype interview with two interviewers. The interview was quite straight forward. They asked a lot about the econometric project I've done. Also asked a lot about the previous internship experience. Similar to the questions you could find here.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Analysis Group.

This was a on-campus interview at University of Toronto. I was asked basic, non-technical questions such as "what's your strengths", etc. and was given a chance to ask my questions. Unfortunately they don't hire people who needs visa support, and I was later recommended to direct my application to their local office in the country I come from.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't many difficult questions, all questions are non-technical   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Analysis Group.

Had an on campus interview with two senior analysts. They asked mostly for related questions. Focused on my background, work experience and quantitative skills. Really liked the analysts. More of a laid back interview compared to other consulting firms.

Second round was at the office. Interviewed with two more analysts as well as 4 managers/VPs/Partners. They take you out for a nice lunch with two other analysts. A couple of these interviews had case like questions but still mostly fit.

Did not negotiate.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Analysis Group.

Applied through college. On campus interview. One HR and one consultant were interviewers. They asked both technical and behavioral questions. Most of the questions are interesting. But it can be very technical when it comes to my research, which I did not prepare for at all. I guess there will be another round of interview after this onsite interview.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group in January 2015.

Appled through website. Interviewed at ASSA annual meetings. Generally talked about research interests and how I see myself fit in. Very smart people, and seem to care a lot about pedigree.

Analyst Interview

first resume drop, followed by phone interview, then followed by superday. Interviews with various analysts and senior analysts and a manager. I accidentally dropped that my internship experience was at a more reputable firm than theirs (in terms of competency, at least in my experience) and I think that was the reason for the ding.

Interview Questions
    • General questions as listed on here that about a time that you had some analysis and walking them through it.   Answer Question