Analysis Group

Average Difficulty
105 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Analysis Group in October 2013.

Interview Details Straightforward procedure. 2 rounds: phone interview and then a face-face.

1) Phone interview with 2 people: not a difficult interview at all; you will be fine as long as you understand:
- how to discuss your research in detail (they can really ask any question about your research - no questions relating to your research are out of bounds)
- can talk a bit about yourself (i.e. introduce yourself, explain why you are interested in analysis group and in this particular job, what skills you can bring to the table)
- understand the job (i.e. know what economic consulting is and have a fair idea of what an Analyst does)
They won't cover everything stated, but they will be able to tell how interested you are, whether you know what you're getting yourself into, and whether you've got the research/analytical skills.

2) Face-face (lunch with analysts, interviews with ~ 6 managers where a case-type question or a brainteaser-type question may come up, and an excel test)
- Lunch: nothing special - just eat enough to not fall asleep and talk and don't be weird.
- Face-face interviews include:
-- Conversations - peppered with behavioral questions (but behavioral questions may not come up and the interviewer may simply choose to have a conversation where you discuss your background and your interest in the role) and he/she discusses his/her background and their experiences working at the company. Have useful/relevant questions prepared to ask.
-- An excel test - not difficult; it will be an example of a case they have actually worked on where they provide you with data you need to assess. It will require you to do some thinking about the problem they propose (e.g. what additional data would be useful; how useful the data presented is etc.), and some excel-calculation questions (know the basic - averages, sums, counts, etc.).
-- A mini-case or brainteaser or two may come up: don' freak out - they actually want you to do well and will work with you (they don't expect you to have the 100% correct answer) but just be able to talk through your reasoning. If a case-type question comes up then it will be based on an actual case they have worked on or a brainteaser that requires you to just do some calculations (interview reviews below elucidate what types of cases and brainteasers may come up and they are fairly accurate).

Overall: no one goes out of their way to give you a hard time, people are generally nice, collegial, an happy to meet and get to know/learn about you.

No unexpected econometrics questions. Understand your research in and out. They didn't go out of their way to ask econometrics questions - metrics questions did come up, but within the context of my research. e.g. if you did a regression, know why you chose the specific method you chose, why you chose those specific controls etc.

Suggestion to prepare: read over your research and continually think to yourself in terms of methodology 'what were my alternative methodologies?' and 'why did i choose this methodology?'. In terms of results 'why did i get these results?' and be able to explain them. Also be able to clearly and concisely discuss the motivation behind your research (i.e. why you chose to pursue the topic you pursued).

No unexpected behavioral questions. In fact, no behavioral questions really came up - it was primarily a conversation with the interviewers. But, behavioral questions may come up so generally prepare for questions revolving around collaborative work and analytical work, and know useful/relevant real-life examples to elucidate. If they don't come up, bring up examples relating to collaborative work and analytical work since it is what they will be looking for in a conversation.

Interview Question – No unexpected or terribly difficult questions. Read above.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy process - they are not very flexible in terms of Analyst salaries, but the starting offer was good to begin with. However, keep in mind that they do pay the same amount to Analysts across the US, so the salary can be relatively better (e.g. if you are living in a low cost area) or not as good (if you are living in a high cost area). But a good offer to begin with.

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group.

Interview Details Straightforward. Applied through campus recruiting, had a 1st round interview with two alumni that worked at AG. Was invited to a 2nd round interview at the office, where I spoke with 5 different people who each held different positions in the company. Overall it was a great experience. I didn't get an offer (my interviews went well, but remember it's always who you're up against and partly luck) but I would consider applying again if the opportunity arises. Great people, great company. I love how they don't have case questions like many of the other big EC firms do. One's ability to solve a case question is very weakly related to one's ability to work in litigation consulting or do HEOR.

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group.

Interview Details There was the usual cover letter+resume in order to get the phone interview. After that I was flown out to interview in person. The day interview consisted of 7 or so 30 minute interviews from various people in the firm. Each was pretty similar to the phone interview and mainly consisted of asking about past econometric projects and then being grilled on possible methodological hurdles and how to handle them

Interview Question – They would go into great detail on the methodology of your past research. Be sure to have all the details fresh in your mind   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in March 2014.

Interview Details they are very efficient, first round results came back the same day. second round all about previous projects, and communication skills. They are really smart and interactive on asking questions, it's important to answer all sorts of questions about your own projects.

Interview Question – nothing really unexpected.   Answer Question

Healthcare Analyst Interview

Healthcare Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Analysis Group in January 2014.

Interview Details First I had a 30 minute phone interview with a Senior Analyst and then another 30 minute phone interview with a Manager. Two weeks later I went to their office for six one on one in-person interviews that each lasted about 30 minutes. Finally, I had lunch with some of the staff at their office.

Interview Question – Explain the mixed effects model you used for your research.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Analysis Group.

Interview Details Behavioral and technical questions, interests in economic consulting, questions about previous work experience and academic research, no formal case interviews, went through on-campus recruiting and then full day of interviews onsite, heard back on the same day regarding offer, no online assessment or presentation, process was fairly quick and streamlined

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

Interview Details I had an employee referral and was initially contacted for a phone interview. A day later, I was contacted for an in person interview. We had lunch with a group of employees and interviewees, followed by a series of interviews.

Interview Question – I received a test for detail-orientation, essentially looking over a briefing for errors.   View Answer

Healthcare Analyst Interview

Healthcare Analyst
New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group.

Interview Details The recruiting process will be faster if you are referred by someone or through on-campus recruiting. The phone interview is not bad--be sure to know your resume well. They will ask very specific technical questions during the on-site interview. There is no typical consulting case interview if you apply for the Healthcare Analyst position.

Interview Question – Various model assumptions   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in April 2014.

Interview Details Two rounds of phone interviews. They will call to schedule first. The process is normal, no weird questions. They did a good job at being interested at your research work. Also they seem to know your CV and cover letter very clearly, so prepare well according to your CV and cover letter.

Interview Question – They asked why I would like to work here, but I think it is reasonable and not very hard.   View Answer

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Analysis Group.

Interview Details Standard interview process: hour phone interview then a half day of interviews at the office.

Phone interview: essentially a walk through of your education and work experience. They also described their work and office.

In person: Meeting with a series of seniors plus a case study. Generally difficult questions more focused on critical thinking and recalling details of previous analyses you've done. Smaller amount of getting-to-know-you type questions. Case study in excel.

Interview Question – Describe how you would estimate the cost of replacing a nationwide pipe system.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer was generous and the office was nice, but the atmosphere felt less collegial/laid back than I like.

Worked for Analysis Group? Contribute to the Community!