Analysis Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014
Updated Aug 21, 2014

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Analysis Group in October 2013.

Straightforward procedure. 2 rounds: phone interview and then a face-face.

1) Phone interview with 2 people: not a difficult interview at all; you will be fine as long as you understand:
    - how to discuss your research in detail (they can really ask any question about your research - no questions relating to your research are out of bounds)
    - can talk a bit about yourself (i.e. introduce yourself, explain why you are interested in analysis group and in this particular job, what skills you can bring to the table)
    - understand the job (i.e. know what economic consulting is and have a fair idea of what an Analyst does)
    They won't cover everything stated, but they will be able to tell how interested you are, whether you know what you're getting yourself into, and whether you've got the research/analytical skills.

2) Face-face (lunch with analysts, interviews with ~ 6 managers where a case-type question or a brainteaser-type question may come up, and an excel test)
    - Lunch: nothing special - just eat enough to not fall asleep and talk and don't be weird.
    - Face-face interviews include:
    -- Conversations - peppered with behavioral questions (but behavioral questions may not come up and the interviewer may simply choose to have a conversation where you discuss your background and your interest in the role) and he/she discusses his/her background and their experiences working at the company. Have useful/relevant questions prepared to ask.
    -- An excel test - not difficult; it will be an example of a case they have actually worked on where they provide you with data you need to assess. It will require you to do some thinking about the problem they propose (e.g. what additional data would be useful; how useful the data presented is etc.), and some excel-calculation questions (know the basic - averages, sums, counts, etc.).
    -- A mini-case or brainteaser or two may come up: don' freak out - they actually want you to do well and will work with you (they don't expect you to have the 100% correct answer) but just be able to talk through your reasoning. If a case-type question comes up then it will be based on an actual case they have worked on or a brainteaser that requires you to just do some calculations (interview reviews below elucidate what types of cases and brainteasers may come up and they are fairly accurate).

Overall: no one goes out of their way to give you a hard time, people are generally nice, collegial, an happy to meet and get to know/learn about you.

No unexpected econometrics questions. Understand your research in and out. They didn't go out of their way to ask econometrics questions - metrics questions did come up, but within the context of my research. e.g. if you did a regression, know why you chose the specific method you chose, why you chose those specific controls etc.

Suggestion to prepare: read over your research and continually think to yourself in terms of methodology 'what were my alternative methodologies?' and 'why did i choose this methodology?'. In terms of results 'why did i get these results?' and be able to explain them. Also be able to clearly and concisely discuss the motivation behind your research (i.e. why you chose to pursue the topic you pursued).

No unexpected behavioral questions. In fact, no behavioral questions really came up - it was primarily a conversation with the interviewers. But, behavioral questions may come up so generally prepare for questions revolving around collaborative work and analytical work, and know useful/relevant real-life examples to elucidate. If they don't come up, bring up examples relating to collaborative work and analytical work since it is what they will be looking for in a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or terribly difficult questions. Read above.   Answer Question
    Easy process - they are not very flexible in terms of Analyst salaries, but the starting offer was good to begin with. However, keep in mind that they do pay the same amount to Analysts across the US, so the salary can be relatively better (e.g. if you are living in a low cost area) or not as good (if you are living in a high cost area). But a good offer to begin with.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Analysis Group.

Applied online through their website. Received an email scheduling a phone interview. First round phone interview with recruiter. The first round interview was a fit based one with a very nice recruiter. Clearly wants someone who has taken econometrics and done quantitative research.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me about a quantitative research project you have worked on? What are statistical techniques you used?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in July 2014.

The entire process took roughly one month. I applied online but had a referral, which might have expedited the process somewhat. I had a 30 minute behavioral phone interview, in which I was asked to discuss my interests in the EC industry and Analysis Group in particular. I then interviewed in person with five people, including HR, analysts and managers. Overall, it was a very positive experience. No case questions. We had thoughtful discussions about my previous research, academic experience and future plans -- I never got the impression that I should be intimidated. Know your resume well. If you come from a research background, be sure to know your previous work exceptionally well, as you will likely be asked about methodology/assumptions. I didn't receive an offer, but was impressed by the people I interviewed with and will consider applying again in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about research, methodology and assumptions. I was interviewed on these topics with people who had some experience relevant to my research.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in August 2014.

Applied online and was routed to the Boston office. First round was a phone screening with a senior analyst- asked about research experience and basic resume questions.

Invited Boston office for 5 one on one interviews with senior analysts, managers, and recruiter manager. Stressed leadership and quantitative work. Be sure to know your research projects as they will ask a lot of questions. One case questions about detecting outliers using daily data. basic to intermediate statistical and econometric knowledge helps.

Could not relocate to Boston

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Analysis Group in October 2010.

I had a first-round interview at a hotel in NYC (where numerous companies held 1st interviews), and got a call back about 2 weeks later. They flew me down to NYC for a day that had 3 main interviews - a 'fit' interview (personality), technical interview (quant questions), and a case. The case was nothing like the stereotypical case interview; it focused on what analysts do at the company. There was a short write-up and some charts/data tables, and I was asked to comment on what inconsistencies or themes stood out, and how I would fix the problems.

Interview Questions
    • After telling the technical interviewer that I took a game theory class, I was asked a number of game theory problems that sounded like they came straight from a textbook, and they were very difficult.   Answer Question
    I negotiated based on another offer I got from a competitor, but AG stood firm on their offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group.

Straightforward. Applied through campus recruiting, had a 1st round interview with two alumni that worked at AG. Was invited to a 2nd round interview at the office, where I spoke with 5 different people who each held different positions in the company. Overall it was a great experience. I didn't get an offer (my interviews went well, but remember it's always who you're up against and partly luck) but I would consider applying again if the opportunity arises. Great people, great company. I love how they don't have case questions like many of the other big EC firms do. One's ability to solve a case question is very weakly related to one's ability to work in litigation consulting or do HEOR.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group.

There was the usual cover letter+resume in order to get the phone interview. After that I was flown out to interview in person. The day interview consisted of 7 or so 30 minute interviews from various people in the firm. Each was pretty similar to the phone interview and mainly consisted of asking about past econometric projects and then being grilled on possible methodological hurdles and how to handle them

Interview Questions
    • They would go into great detail on the methodology of your past research. Be sure to have all the details fresh in your mind   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in March 2014.

they are very efficient, first round results came back the same day. second round all about previous projects, and communication skills. They are really smart and interactive on asking questions, it's important to answer all sorts of questions about your own projects.

Healthcare Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Analysis Group in January 2014.

First I had a 30 minute phone interview with a Senior Analyst and then another 30 minute phone interview with a Manager. Two weeks later I went to their office for six one on one in-person interviews that each lasted about 30 minutes. Finally, I had lunch with some of the staff at their office.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the mixed effects model you used for your research.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Analysis Group.

Behavioral and technical questions, interests in economic consulting, questions about previous work experience and academic research, no formal case interviews, went through on-campus recruiting and then full day of interviews onsite, heard back on the same day regarding offer, no online assessment or presentation, process was fairly quick and streamlined

Worked for Analysis Group? Contribute to the Community!