Analysis Group Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct, 2014
Updated 15 Oct, 2014

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Analysis Group in October 2013.

Straightforward procedure. 2 rounds: phone interview and then a face-face.

1) Phone interview with 2 people: not a difficult interview at all; you will be fine as long as you understand:
    - how to discuss your research in detail (they can really ask any question about your research - no questions relating to your research are out of bounds)
    - can talk a bit about yourself (i.e. introduce yourself, explain why you are interested in analysis group and in this particular job, what skills you can bring to the table)
    - understand the job (i.e. know what economic consulting is and have a fair idea of what an Analyst does)
    They won't cover everything stated, but they will be able to tell how interested you are, whether you know what you're getting yourself into, and whether you've got the research/analytical skills.

2) Face-face (lunch with analysts, interviews with ~ 6 managers where a case-type question or a brainteaser-type question may come up, and an excel test)
    - Lunch: nothing special - just eat enough to not fall asleep and talk and don't be weird.
    - Face-face interviews include:
    -- Conversations - peppered with behavioral questions (but behavioral questions may not come up and the interviewer may simply choose to have a conversation where you discuss your background and your interest in the role) and he/she discusses his/her background and their experiences working at the company. Have useful/relevant questions prepared to ask.
    -- An excel test - not difficult; it will be an example of a case they have actually worked on where they provide you with data you need to assess. It will require you to do some thinking about the problem they propose (e.g. what additional data would be useful; how useful the data presented is etc.), and some excel-calculation questions (know the basic - averages, sums, counts, etc.).
    -- A mini-case or brainteaser or two may come up: don' freak out - they actually want you to do well and will work with you (they don't expect you to have the 100% correct answer) but just be able to talk through your reasoning. If a case-type question comes up then it will be based on an actual case they have worked on or a brainteaser that requires you to just do some calculations (interview reviews below elucidate what types of cases and brainteasers may come up and they are fairly accurate).

Overall: no one goes out of their way to give you a hard time, people are generally nice, collegial, an happy to meet and get to know/learn about you.

No unexpected econometrics questions. Understand your research in and out. They didn't go out of their way to ask econometrics questions - metrics questions did come up, but within the context of my research. e.g. if you did a regression, know why you chose the specific method you chose, why you chose those specific controls etc.

Suggestion to prepare: read over your research and continually think to yourself in terms of methodology 'what were my alternative methodologies?' and 'why did i choose this methodology?'. In terms of results 'why did i get these results?' and be able to explain them. Also be able to clearly and concisely discuss the motivation behind your research (i.e. why you chose to pursue the topic you pursued).

No unexpected behavioral questions. In fact, no behavioral questions really came up - it was primarily a conversation with the interviewers. But, behavioral questions may come up so generally prepare for questions revolving around collaborative work and analytical work, and know useful/relevant real-life examples to elucidate. If they don't come up, bring up examples relating to collaborative work and analytical work since it is what they will be looking for in a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or terribly difficult questions. Read above.   Answer Question
    Easy process - they are not very flexible in terms of Analyst salaries, but the starting offer was good to begin with. However, keep in mind that they do pay the same amount to Analysts across the US, so the salary can be relatively better (e.g. if you are living in a low cost area) or not as good (if you are living in a high cost area). But a good offer to begin with.

Healthcare Analyst Interview

Applied online, and got the initial phone interview in a week.

Interview questions were pretty standard. They really care about your relative healthcare experiences and asked a lot of follow up questions on my healthcare projects during internship. Behavioral questions were standard, too.

Interview Questions
    • If you could re-do something, what would that be? How would you re-do it?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Interviews were not case-based, instead the interviews delved deep into technical skills. The interview was fairly short (only lasting about 30 minutes), so make sure you only highlight things that are important. If you start rambling, they'll move you along to the next question. The two interviews took place on the phone and involved two people interviewing me each time.

Interview Questions
    • If I said that I knew how to use a certain computer program, I was asked to describe how I did so in great detail. So only claim to know things you know really well!   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group.

I had a phone interview and in person interviews. The turnaround was quick, I heard back the day after my phone interview about flying out for in person interviews the next week. The questions in all rounds were pretty quantitative, focusing on past statistical research experience. They weren't brain teasers or anything, they just required critical thinking about statistical analysis. I had four interviews in person, two with analysts, one with a manager, and one with HR.

I did not negotiate.

Analyst Interview

I applied online after I talked to a representative at the career fair at my University. I just finished the phone interview. Interviewer told me I'd be contacted within 2 weeks for next steps.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an instance in which you had to be a leader and how did you do it.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Analysis Group.

Phone interview, nothing really difficult, my interviewer was nice. Went into details in my past research experience. General behavioral questions like tell me about your role in a team, tell me about a time that you did xyz... Just be prepared to tell stories about your resume.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Analysis Group.

The first round was a phone interview with an Senior Analyst. Took ~1 hour and was mostly behavioural questions focused on prior research experience.

The next and final round was 5 x 30min interviews at the office I was applying for (Boston) with Senior Analysts and Managers. Again, it was mostly behavioural questions focused on prior research experience. I was rather disappointed to not have any case interview questions because those are fun. As my interviewers did not co-ordinate amongst each other and seemed fairly new to the process, they all asked essentially the same questions: Discuss my prior research experiences followed by a question on any teamwork-related challenges I've encountered.

Summer Analyst Interview

The process is 1 phone interview and a "super day". The super day was a lunch with analysts and the recruiter along with 4 interviews with varying levels of staff. The types of questions were either behavioral questions or probes into prior research you've done. Be prepared to talk about your research; they will break it down and test to see if you understand it well.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Analysis Group in October 2014.

Phone interview. Standard questions about experience working with data and interest in economic consulting and analysis group. Also asked about favorite classes in general, and economics specifically. Talked through the major points on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • brain teaser (three jars with red marbles, blue marbles and a mix. all of them are mislabeled. how many marbles do you need to pick to know which is which?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group in October 2014.

Applied through university career center. Received an email about 2 weeks later for a first-round interview at the career center. Had interview with an Analyst and Associate at once. They had no case interview and focused solely on my past research experience. As others have said, make sure to know the methodologies and conclusions of past research projects.

Interview Questions
    • What impact did the conclusions of your research have on the field?   Answer Question