Amgen

Relevance Date Difficulty

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in May 2010.

Interview Details The interview usually take a full day. If you can do a presentation, it would be help. You will meet the hire manager and directors. You also will be able to meet few associate level people.

Very Easy Interview

Global Strategic Sourcing Interview

Global Strategic Sourcing
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amgen.

Interview Details I was initially contacted by the manager that I would be working with via phone interview. After two phone interviews, I was given an offer. The interview process was very informal, but again, this was for an MBA internship. The manager was very nice, wasn't looking to rattle you; just wanted to learn more about my experience and qualifications for the position.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions; mostly questions about my resume and my work experience. Strategic sourcing experience, procurement experience, project management experience was required.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Internship, so there was no negotiations; the only option was the dates and terms of internship; 8 weeks, 10 weeks, or 12 weeks.

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in October 2012.

Interview Details Process began by being contacted by a principal scientist about scheduling a phone interview. Had phone interview later that day, which was very positive and included a discussion about my current research projects. Then got contacted a month later about scheduling an on-site interview. Flew out the day before, had dinner that night, with interview the next day. Interview consisted of a research presentation (1 hr), followed by a series of 1-1 interviews throughout the day. Really enjoyed the interview process overall. Never felt any tough pressure, it was more just an intense, dynamic discussion of science all day. Interview was very technical, and also included discussion about what life was like at Amgen.

Interview Question – "Walk me through your rationale for the enhanced stereoselectivity in your process with your new set of conditions."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Call from HR alerting me of an offer. Follow up call from director congratulating me on offer. Thought it over the weekend with another pending offer, then accepted the Amgen offer.

Intern Interview

Intern
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Amgen in March 2014.

Interview Details I submitted an application sometime in August 2013, and was caught by surprise when I got a call in February 2014 asking if I was still interested in the position. I said yes, and from there the communication was very timely. I was sent an e-mail to set up interview times, and the recruiter was very accommodating with the schedule. They sent maps and detailed information, and I went in for the interview. I met with the whole team, including a conference call attendee from another office. Everybody was really nice and positive. They asked relevant questions and didn't hold back from asking some challenging ones, but they also didn't ask pointlessly tricky or confrontational questions. I felt like I was being honestly evaluated for my fit with the team and my knowledge of the work.

Interview Question – Tell me how you handled a situation where somebody on your team was not doing their share of work. (Follow up: Do you think that was the best way to handle it, and why?)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given a call with an offer. It seemed good so I accepted. I had read on Glassdoor previously that they don't negotiate so I didn't try.

Associate Statistical Programming Interview

Associate Statistical Programming
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in January 2013.

Interview Details Phone screen and then on-site. The position is entry-level so not a lot of professional questions. Everyone is super nice! Asked about UNIX system, SAS merging process and SQL. A lot of behavior questions. Been treated really nice during the interview, good hotel and a tour around the city!

Interview Question – Not a lot. All the questions are fairly reasonable and to the point.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate

Senior Quality Assurance Interview

Senior Quality Assurance
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amgen in April 2014.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. I was then invited to an in person interview. The first was a panel interview, which I felt went extremely well. I was then interviewed by the person who conducted the phone interview, it was pretty much a continuation of the phone interview just in person.

Interview Question – pretty basic questions   Answer Question

Senior Associate Scientist Interview

Senior Associate Scientist
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amgen in May 2013.

Interview Details Phone interview, then the manager invites me for on-site interview on the very next day.
He would like to see how I am doing without time for preparation.

Interview Question – Data structure, and SAS codes   Answer Question

Biostatistics Manager Interview

Biostatistics Manager
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amgen.

Interview Details Phone interview
Background: Ph.D candidate in Biostatistics.
1. 0~15 min. I introduced my clinical trial background, mostly about the clinical trial course project.
2. 15min ~ 25min. Discussion on programming, mainly SAS.
3. 25min ~30 min. Interviewees said they cannot hire me since I do not have experiences with SAS MACRO programming. They need someone immediately working on SAS programming.

Interview Question – nothing. Basically background experiences discussion.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amgen in February 2014.

Interview Details Contacted shortly after I submitted my resume to a recruiting company. I had 1 phone interview that was roughly an hour. I was then invited to a half day interview, where I toured the campus and had 5 one on one interviews that lasted roughly 30-45 minutes each. I was hired one week later, and begin week after that. Over all the process was smooth and efficient

Interview Question – I received many technical questions regarding my work with proteins, DNA, etc. I was asked to explain in depth any research projects I have been apart of any publications of which I am a co-author   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Wast any negotiation because it was a temp. position, but I was happy with the salary

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I interviewed at Amgen in July 2012.

Interview Details 1 interview was difficult but was offered job. have been working there since july

Interview Question – Easy interview   Answer Question

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!