American Eagle Outfitters

347 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details The interview process is basically alot of promises made by the district manager which never amount to anything in the end. They make the job sound alot better than it is and push the " we promote from within" and "work life balance" which is very much the opposite of how it actually happens

Interview Question – Most questions are behavior based so be prepared with examples   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there didn't seem to be much room for negotiation

Toronto, ON

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in March 2014.

Interview Details I saw a posting online for a job fair for a new location in downtown Toronto. Interview took place in a hotel.Once I got there I was told to fill out an application. Make sure you will it out completely as they really stress this as after I was hired we were to fill in any missing information. MAKE SURE To HAVE REFERENCES. There is a spot for 2 references, make sure you have at least one. They do not accept resumes. I went in and there were about 4 different tables with interviews going on at the same time. My interviewer was a manager of the store I would be hired in eventually.
Also, although it may say retail experience preferred, it is not required however an asset if you do have experience, but i'd apply at least if you have at least some customer service experience. If you have no work experience indicate on the application what volunteer experience you have. (DO NOT LEAVE IT BLANK).

She asked me pretty basic questions, I talked a lot she smiled and liked me and handed me a piece of paper with a link to a personality test online. This test basically means you have a great shot at being hired as they would not give everyone this. I heard if you apply in a store as well they may ask you to do it after your interview if the are seriously considering you. My interview was on a Tuesday, my references were called on friday, then the following Friday I received a job offer. So, it took about a week and a half, however they were hiring quick because of the new store.

The key is to be enthusiastic, outgoing, and upbeat. Also don't forget to wear casual, AE attire. DO NOT come in something like slacks. You'll get bonus points if you wear something that is currently being sold in the store (i.e an outfit on the mannequin) as one of the questions they ask is to sell your outfit.

Interview Question – 1. Tell me about yourself? (be detailed, seem fun and outgoing) do you have previous retail experience?
2. Why do you want to work at American Eagle (stress that you love AE, and what the company stands for)
3. Sell me your outfit ( wear something from AE, or currently in style that looks like its from there).
3. When did you experience a difficult customer and how did you deal with it?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotation; 10.25/h (minimum wage). I was later let go because they had too many employees and not enough hours. I only worked one regular shift then was let go once the store has opened.

Very Easy Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied through an AE hiring event for a new store. Really down to earth, interview took 10-15 minutes just talking over my resume and some past experiences. Wait time about 15 minutes because it was a job fair, there were about 8 different interviews going on at the same time, all interviewing were managers from other stores helping out.

Interview Question – Try to sell me your outfit   View Answer

Lethbridge, AB

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details One interview. Upon walking in, non-hiring manager was very friendly and excited to see me. Hiring manager was very nice and friendly, and asked a few general/personal questions as if she was trying to get to know me as a friend. No questions asked that required answers that may have hindered my interview success, just questions about university etc. Interview questions were standard, nothing new. Tricky to think of answers if you've never worked in retail but if you've worked in service at all, then talk about that lots and how it translates. They want people persons and those who are easy to get along with. If you're overly organizational they love that too. They'll make you do a 200 question computer test to analyze your personality-whether you get the job or not it's super interesting to learn what your results mean. Test only takes 5-10 minutes.

Interview Question – "Explain what you'd do if a customer calls you a not-so-nice word and yells at you while you're ringing them through the till."   View Answer

Interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters

Interview Details One interview, behavioural based questions. Want to know about related customer service experience and examples of how you handled workplace conflict in the past (ex. dealing w/ a difficult customer)

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you gave an outstanding customer service experience.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details I applied in store. They called me telling me I was selected for a group interview. At the interview it was important to be energetic and social because of the importance of those traits in sales.

Interview Question – They asked me to sell them on a piece of clothing I was wearing.   View Answer

Edmonton, AB

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2013.

Interview Details Emailed resume to manager, got a call to schedule an interview. They were very lenient towards my time schedule. Met at store location, on a bench, and was interviewed by two individuals. The whole atmosphere was very relaxed, while professional, and the manager and assistant manager were very encouraging and kind.

Interview Question – what was a time where you were put in charge and you successfully completed the task?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My availability

Vancouver, BC

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details I just drop my resume into the store. The manager asked me if i had full aviability. I did, so he programed an interview for next sunday (it was friday). The interview was with anther manager, just her an myself. It supposed to be a group interview (thats what the other manager told me) but anyway better just me. It was like talking to a friend, she asked e about my experience, what was i expecting from american eagle, behavior questions about my last job and more. It took just 15 minuts. After the interview, i did an personallity test on their computer. Really easy, jut asking about your skills and characteristics. After 2 days they called me and offered me the job. I really think that everyone who loves fashion, open minded, nice and with great personality could get the job. They really want you to love your job, so if you do not like the idea of working there forget it! If you really love the ifea, show them your interest and your skills and you will have the opportunity to work there!

Interview Question – What was the last time you had to deal with a difficul costumer?   View Answer

Interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters

Interview Details Asked for an application form at the store and returned it once I filled it out. Was called roughly a week later for a group interview and scheduled a time. After the interview, was called a few days later with an offer.

Interview Question – Not really any difficult or unexpected questions since they're just hiring sales associate who may/may not have that much experience. They mostly just asked behavioural questions based on the experience you listed. Oh, and the interviewer also asked us what we knew about AE - so do your research.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details I came into the store and asked for the manager as I was told to on the phone. There wasn't an interview per say with questions, they asked us to take a headset and go out on the floor and act like you would if you were a sales associate. I went out, and talked about the 40% off deal they had going on, and when they called me back, they said I was hired on spot and would call me in a few days for my first shift.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!