American Eagle Outfitters

Getting the Interview

302 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lethbridge, AB

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details One interview. Upon walking in, non-hiring manager was very friendly and excited to see me. Hiring manager was very nice and friendly, and asked a few general/personal questions as if she was trying to get to know me as a friend. No questions asked that required answers that may have hindered my interview success, just questions about university etc. Interview questions were standard, nothing new. Tricky to think of answers if you've never worked in retail but if you've worked in service at all, then talk about that lots and how it translates. They want people persons and those who are easy to get along with. If you're overly organizational they love that too. They'll make you do a 200 question computer test to analyze your personality-whether you get the job or not it's super interesting to learn what your results mean. Test only takes 5-10 minutes.

Interview Question – "Explain what you'd do if a customer calls you a not-so-nice word and yells at you while you're ringing them through the till."   View Answer

Interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters

Interview Details One interview, behavioural based questions. Want to know about related customer service experience and examples of how you handled workplace conflict in the past (ex. dealing w/ a difficult customer)

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you gave an outstanding customer service experience.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details I applied in store. They called me telling me I was selected for a group interview. At the interview it was important to be energetic and social because of the importance of those traits in sales.

Interview Question – They asked me to sell them on a piece of clothing I was wearing.   View Answer

Edmonton, AB

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2013.

Interview Details Emailed resume to manager, got a call to schedule an interview. They were very lenient towards my time schedule. Met at store location, on a bench, and was interviewed by two individuals. The whole atmosphere was very relaxed, while professional, and the manager and assistant manager were very encouraging and kind.

Interview Question – what was a time where you were put in charge and you successfully completed the task?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My availability

Vancouver, BC

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details I just drop my resume into the store. The manager asked me if i had full aviability. I did, so he programed an interview for next sunday (it was friday). The interview was with anther manager, just her an myself. It supposed to be a group interview (thats what the other manager told me) but anyway better just me. It was like talking to a friend, she asked e about my experience, what was i expecting from american eagle, behavior questions about my last job and more. It took just 15 minuts. After the interview, i did an personallity test on their computer. Really easy, jut asking about your skills and characteristics. After 2 days they called me and offered me the job. I really think that everyone who loves fashion, open minded, nice and with great personality could get the job. They really want you to love your job, so if you do not like the idea of working there forget it! If you really love the ifea, show them your interest and your skills and you will have the opportunity to work there!

Interview Question – What was the last time you had to deal with a difficul costumer?   View Answer

Interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters

Interview Details Asked for an application form at the store and returned it once I filled it out. Was called roughly a week later for a group interview and scheduled a time. After the interview, was called a few days later with an offer.

Interview Question – Not really any difficult or unexpected questions since they're just hiring sales associate who may/may not have that much experience. They mostly just asked behavioural questions based on the experience you listed. Oh, and the interviewer also asked us what we knew about AE - so do your research.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details I came into the store and asked for the manager as I was told to on the phone. There wasn't an interview per say with questions, they asked us to take a headset and go out on the floor and act like you would if you were a sales associate. I went out, and talked about the 40% off deal they had going on, and when they called me back, they said I was hired on spot and would call me in a few days for my first shift.

Very Easy Interview

Edmonton, AB

The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2013.

Interview Details Applied in store with my resume, filled out the application form and interviewed by the store manager immediately. The interview starts with the "introduce yourself" question. When I mentioned about a certificate related to my major that I am working on, the manager asked me to tell more about this. Then she asked if I am a fashionable person and my favorite brands. Also talked about my previous work experience. She took some notes during the interview.
After the interview, I was asked to do a personality test on the computer.
The manager told me the next training session is in two days and will let me know the result before that. But she didn't call back until the third day.

Interview Question – What are your favorite brands?   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2013.

Interview Details I went into the store and filled out a standard application form, then dropped it off ten minutes later. Then the manager scheduled an interview on the spot, for 2 days later.
The interview was very chill- it was one-on-one, and it consisted of your standard interview questions. I got along really well with the manager, so she offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?
How would you sell an outfit to someone?
What is your ultimate travel destination?
what is your dream job?
What is good customer service?
Where do you draw inspiration for your own style?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – None, minimum wage

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in August 2011.

Interview Details I gave my resume to one of the floor managers and was asked to fill out an application in-store. I was told that I would receive a call to set up an interview, but the call didn't come for several weeks. As it turns out, they'd lost a batch of summer application forms (including mine) and were now interviewing for the fall season. My interviewer was easygoing and friendly, but I wasn't interested enough to give it my all. Questions were easy and focussed on personality.

Interview Question – What sets American Eagle apart from other clothing retailers?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Eagle Outfitters

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Eagle Outfitters interview questions and advice. All 302 interview reviews are posted anonymously by American Eagle Outfitters employees and interview candidates.