American Cancer Society Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.8

Distingusihed Events Specialist Interview

Initial communication was a phone call in which they asked thirty situation questions in a thirty minute time period. These questions had to do mostly with volunteer management and controlling a committee and making sure they are kept on track and focused. Questions were fairly similar to the online questionnaire which they make you complete. Sometimes it felt like they were asking same questions in different ways.

Interview Questions
    • There was a couple instances where they asked questions in regards to discrimination and having a diverse staff, but if you are explain that you do not tolerate this and are a level headed person it should not catch you off guard too much   Answer Question

not enough salary

Income Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2013.

I filled out an online application and pre-screening questions. Within 4 days I was contacted for a phone interview. I must have done well on the phone interview because I was then granted a face to face interview with the manager of the office I was applying for the job. The phone interview was very formal, there was a series of questions and you were expected to answer based on scenarios. The face to face interview was more relaxed. I was asked my perception of the position and how I would handle working with volunteers, deadlines, budgets and fundraising expectations. At the end of the interview I was believed from the positive feedback from the interviewer that I was a strong candidate. I was actually told the events I would have and the told about the volunteer chairpersons I would be working with and how to handle them

Interview Questions
    • Describe a scenario where you had to deal with a difficult person   Answer Question

Special Events Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

After being contacted by a recruitment agency I was called for an over the phone interview. During this interview I was asked a series of awkward situational questions then asked to come in for a face to face interview. During the face to face interview I was asked questions about the position and if I thought I was a good candidate. This job was going to be a two month position and I would never work more than 37 hours a week.

Interview Questions
    • If you don't agree with a decision made by someone higher up in the company than you what would you do?   Answer Question

Office Coordinator Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2014.

Applied online, didn't hear back for maybe a month. I received an email asking if I could schedule a phone interview. After the end of the phone interview, I was told my information would be passed on to the hiring manager on site. They emailed to let me know they chose someone with more closely related skills.

Interview Questions
    • How would you divide up the work for a project shared with another person   View Answer

Event Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied online to internships.com and received an email a few days later, and set up a phone call a week later. I talked to her over the phone, and reviewed my resume with her and was hired.

n/a

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I applied through other source - interviewed at American Cancer Society in February 2010.

The manager basically said, "Do you want the job?", and I replied that I would, and she said, "Great, you're hired as soon as you pass the background check," Short and sweet.

The manager told me the salary and that it was what it was and take it or leave it.

Event Outreach Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2014.

First there was a 30+ on line questionnaire, then a phone interview. Depending on who you got for the phone interview, it was either extremely by rote questioning, or an actual, personalized interview. I had two interviews, one average and the other one terrific, where I felt that I really connected with the interviewer. She made it clear that only my lack of experience working with volunteers rather than paid employees kept me from continuing the application process.

Interview Questions
    • Asked several times, and in slightly different formats was "how would you deal with unhappy/underperforming volunteers?".   View Answer

Distinguished Events Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Initial phone interview. Situational questions about working with people and staying organized. Then came in to meet two individuals from the department. They were both very nice and the interview flowed as a conversation. Pretty easy if you are really personable and can communicate well. Process took about 2 weeks max.

Interview Questions
    • All very basic questions that you could expect in any professional interview. The phone interview was the most difficult and more of a formality to make sure you aren't a joke.

Give me an example of how you work in groups.
      Communicated with someone with a difficult personality.
      Why do you want to work here?
        Answer Question
    No much room to negotiate

Community Mission Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Email correspondence to set up interview after initial phone interview. In-person interview with entire office staff. Overview of the job requirement and nature was provided in detail by different staff.

Event Outreach Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2014.

There were 2 phone interviews with a recruiter and then the hiring manager. They were both very pleasant. It was more like a conversation than an interview. I felt at ease after each interview.

Interview Questions
    • How does your future plans align with our business direction?   View Answer
    I was told upfront what the salary was and agreed to it in the interview. There was no negotiations.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!