American Airlines

311 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Flight Attendant
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

Interview Details 1 - Applied.
2 - Was given the personality test.
3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
- Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
- Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
- Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
- Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
- Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
- You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
- Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
- S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
- S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
- S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
- S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
- 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
- Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
- Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
- Q2: Do you work for AA?
- Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
- Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
- Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
- Fill out forms.
- 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
- Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
- You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
- Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
- Take your height/weight.
- Go over medical history with you.
- They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
- They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
- Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details This is an update- I just wanted to share my face to face interview experience because I learned so much from this website prior to my f2f! :)

It was just as everyone has described it- fun, friendly, relaxing, and just an overall great experience.
We started out in a room where they collect passports and everyone is mingling and filling out a quick little writing response- " The CEO of AA is on your flight and in your section- number each of the following five sentences in order of importance to you and then underneath list your reason for whatever question you marked as Number 1."
Next they take you all into a room where there is 25-30 applicants and 5-6 AA employees. They all introduce themselves, tell you where they are based and how long they have worked for AA.
Then we watch a little video on what AA is all about and who they are partnered with, following that we play the Who's Who game which was a great fun little ice breaker.
I'm going to skip the description and jump to the interview, because what questions to expect are what we are all looking for on here.

Question one- In order from left to right Introduce yourself and then tell us what quality you would look for in a flight attendant if you were on the hiring side.

Question two- Anyone can answer in whatever order- What are you most proud of at your current job or previous job- an accomplishment or an experience you had with a customer. (a girl asked a question, stopped speaking, so I volunteered to go first)

Question three- Pick from a deck of cards, don't look at the question until you are standing in front of the room- any order will do- (I went 2nd) My question was If you could have dinner with anyone in the world who would it be and why.

Question four- to all of us, in any order- Why is excellent customer service important to you and what would it entail. (I think I answered 3rd to be polite).

I think that covers the group interview which included 5 applicants and 2 interviewers.

They take us back to the room and then you watch a video on benefits, training, and lots lots more. Afterwards you're given the opportunity to ask any questions you have. Then they open the door and the recruiters come and get you one by one. I've heard they take some people straight to the shuttle waiting area and others they take for a 1on1 interview. I was taken to a 1on1 interview!

First question- tell me about yourself.

Second question- if you had a brand, unique to you, what would that brand be and why?

Third question- Tell me about a time you had excellent customer service.

Fourth question- do you have any tattoos? - Which I do and I answered honestly and agreed 100% that I was willing to do whatever it took to make sure the tattoo would never show.

She asked if I had any questions- then took me to fill out two pieces of paper, get finger printed, and make sure I could reach inside the overhead bin.

I then went to the shuttle, flew home, and the next morning I received an email about making it to the next round!! :)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! Stay relaxed as possible- don't have coffee that morning- it will just make your heart race, have some tea! BREATHE! and be you! L:)

Interview Question – If you had a brand, unique to you, what would that brand be and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No quite an offer yet but once my background check clears and I pass my physical (which shouldn't be a problem) I'll gladly accept!! :)

Bi-lingual Flight Attendant Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details One word of advice here is to really rest before this interview. I think that this was one of my errors- flying in the same day. If you can- fly in the night before- get a hotel and really rest. I was up 12 hours even before my interview started so I was exhausted by the time I got there. Big mistake!
When you arrive- start being social - strike up a conversation and really get engaged. I made the mistake of arriving too early with another candidate and we went out to the terrace to watch what looked like a graduation of the FA's outside. Big mistake! I really needed to have stayed in the lobby and mingled with the other hopefuls. When I came back to the meeting room (on time), the recruiter said "of you came back" as if to say- why wasn't I in the lobby with everyone else.
During the group exercise they are watching everything so you need to be super bubbly and work really well with the others. Also made a mistake here when I was asked a question- I didn't hear the recruiters instruction. Again, spaced out because I was really tired. I saw other people do the same as I and made mistakes trying to follow the group exercise instructions- they all came on the bus back to the airport- so pay attention!!!
Next was the group interview- also extremely strange to get to hear people's answers. This may be another mistake I made- I tried too hard to impress them with accolades from my old job. They are really there to hear your customer service experience so make it about the customer. Don't list awards or other achievements. I listed a certification they had never even heard of- so guess what- they didn't care because they couldn't relate- they had no idea what it was!! When asked what my biggest accomplishment was- I should have listed an experience with the customer and how happy I made them. I really don't think they want to know how you saved the company money or anything grand- again you are going in for a flight attendant position- not to be CEO. This portion of the interview was very odd because I thought some of the people there answered very well and were going to be picked. I was wrong again- everyone from my group interview got sent home early. I think they are really looking for good looking 21 year olds who have just enough work experience, but who are not very accomplished. I worked for a fortune 500 company for 14 years and have a masters degree- I really think, in hindsight, that I came off way too accomplished and I tried to impress them with those accolades. They are looking for young, good-looking people who are not going to ask questions. There was a portion at the end where they take questions- look out! Don't ask things that will give you away as someone who may not like training- a fellow asked if he would be able to leave on the weekends to see his family and they said absolutely not- no one can leave training for any reason. He was not picked and I think this had something to do with it. I also mentioned that I am married and that I live in a small town. Big mistake! Don't talk about your family or anything that ties you anywhere. A huge emphasis was placed on relocation, how mobile you have to be, and that you can be away from your home for up to 6 days. Even though I have no problem moving to another city at a moments notice- they didn't know that. I think when I mentioned I was married that was a huge flag for them. Again, I really think they are looking for cute 21 year olds with no family or attachments to re-build their workforce. AA is going through a huge overhaul and they need lots of new attendants. If you have a family- don't mention them and don't ask any questions about the relocation process- it makes it look like you are worried. For anyone who is wondering- I kept my mouth shut during the questioning, but watched other people stick their shoe in the mud. For the record I am 33 but I look 25 (slim, tall, bla bla bla). The only reason why I am mentioning age here is that NONE of the older candidates got picked, but the cute 22 year old blondes did. I knew that looking young and "pretty" was a huge deal- so look the part. I am not judging AA for choosing this way as it's obvious that they want to rebuild their workforce with younger people who will be there a long time- lifers.
My biggest advice here is to be social, be very bubbly, don't mention your family or anything tying you to where you live. Make all of your answers relate to customer service and how well you have provided service to clients- don't go on about awards and other stuff not about helping the customer. This is unlike any interview you have been on- you actually need to make friends here and make sure the recruiters see you doing this. Again, if you don't fit the mold of the 20 something carefree gal- don't be disappointed if you are not chosen. Hope this helps!

Interview Question – If you could be any super hero, which would it be?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details Nov/2013 - Applied online
Nov/2013 - Personality Test online
Dec/2013 - Video interview online
Jan/2013 - Call to complete online application
Jan/2013 - Invitation for F2F interview in Dallas
Feb/2013 - Face to Face Interview, Dallas TX. Followed the advice on here, got fingerprinted.
Feb/2013 - Recieved DOT forms via email, faxed them back
Mar/2013 - 2.5 weeks passed, still waiting to hear back on DOT forms / Background check. Anyday now! =)

Interview Question – What are your thoughts on social media?

That one came a bit out of the blue in the panel interview. They passed out cards with questions on them then we took turns standing in front of the group and speaking on our topic or question. It seemed to be a test of extemporaneous speaking skill.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Terms negotiated by Flight Attendant Union. 21.26 per flight hour. 75 hour guarantee. $2.00 per diem. 8.5 weeks unpaid training. Room and board provided for training.

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Airlines in November 2013.

Interview Details I applied in late October on the American Airlines website. I received a pretty quick response for me to move forward to the next step which was a personality test and then video interview. I was not that confident in my webcam interview because you are looking at yourself when speaking. However, 3 days or so later I received an email inviting me to the head quarters for the assessment day interview. when I went I wore slacks, heels, and a blazer. When going in for the assessment interview, look sharp and professional. You will meet everyone in a room to sign in. Do not forget passport, and license along with anything else they say to bring. It is important to follow directions. After we sign in we are taken to a larger room and placed in groups. We did a group activity and introduced ourselves to everyone. The trainers are watching how you interact with everyone and how comfortable you are. I didn't notice them watching until someone mentioned that that is what they were doing. After the group activity, they take 5 to 6 people into separate rooms and have the group interview. I have never done a group interview but to my surprise I really felt comfortable and enjoyed it. You will be nervous but honestly, all you can do is be yourself. Think of your answers before you speak. They are taking notes during the interview and while you are talking. Benefits of a group interview is there are more people to make eye contact with. Believe in your answers and have confidence. After the group interview we all head back to the big room where the group activity took place and you watch a video. When that is done they will start taking you out one by one. I was taken to a room for a one on one and finger prints. Within the next week I received an email to fill out my back ground forms and dot paper work which I had three days to send those back. I sent those Nov. 14th. After that I did not hear anything back for months! I would email once a month to follow up on the process. Four months later I received my offer letter and appointment to take my medical exam. I think the wait took long due to the holidays and the new year. I took my medical exam about two weeks ago and I received an email that I cleared my exam and now I am waiting on the call that will tell me when I start my training! This hiring process is long and you need to have patience Do not quit your job until you have training dates set. Good luck to everyone!

Interview Question – Tell a time when you needed to take control of a situation.   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details I applied online in March 2014. Received an invitation to do a video interview three weeks later. I have completed the video interview and I am now waiting to hear back. It has been two and a half weeks and I have not heard anything yet.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a problem with a coworker. what happened? what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details I was filed my apply on early Jan, got email back the next week. I received a link for web interview . A week after, I got call for F2F. It was really fan, we were playing and talking the hole time.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details The application process was pretty painless. Actually a lot quicker and easier than other airlines I've applied with. Uploaded resume and cover letter. Took a personality assessment too. I think that is how they weed out some people. Received an email confirming they received my application. About 4 days later I got an email saying that I had advanced to the next step and they wanted me to do a video interview. Once you get that email, you'll have 5 days to complete it. They'll even send you a reminder email and call you if you haven't completed the interview yet. The video interview was A LOT easier than I had expected. Dress as if you are going to the interview face to face. Be professional, smile, and show your personality! They know within the first 30 seconds if you are someone they would like to meet. Make sure your background is clear of everything! You want them to be able to focus on your face when they watch it, so no noisy television, or distracting paintings behind you. I found a blank white wall for mine. The video interview is automated. You'll be able to do a "test" so you can check your sound and video feed, to make sure it's working fine. The automated interviewer will read you a question and then he'll repeat it. You have 60 seconds to think about your answer, and then it automatically starts recording. You'll have 3 minutes to answer. You do not need to fill up the entire 3 minutes. I think on average, mine were probably 1 minute 30 seconds long. There are 6 questions total. Examples; "Explain a time when you received excellent customer service". "Tell me what you think about living in a new city". "What qualities do you have, that will make you a good candidate for American Airlines". Just waiting for the next step, which is an email inviting you to update your application. After that, they call you for a face to face interview in Dallas.

Interview Question – "Tell me what you think about living in a new city."   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details So far the process has taken a little over three months. Flying out to do my F2F this Thursday. Praying!

Interview Question – I found the questions to be standard, common sense questions.   View Answer

Station Agent Interview

College Station, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online. Was called a week later for an interview scheduled for the next week. It was group interview style; i interviewed with three other individuals. They had an additional group interview later that day for different individuals. I was called 2 days later letting me know that I was not hired but they were still interested. Very positive experience.

Interview Question – Not the most difficult but the most unexpected question asked was, "If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?"   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Airlines interview questions and advice. All 311 interview reviews are posted anonymously by American Airlines employees and interview candidates.