AmeriCorps

Updated 3 Mar, 2015
Updated 3 Mar, 2015

2.2

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

I applied for Pittsburgh Health Corps and Compass AmeriCorps, both groups based in Pittsburgh, PA. I went to a totally of eight interviews - one with the director of health corps, one with Compass, and six on-site interviews.

There are two problems with AmeriCorps. The first problem is they strongly prefer hiring college graduates with little to no experience. By the time I graduated I already have done three internships and one research fellowship. I wanted to join AmeriCorps to help my community, but I was rejected by all six on-site interviews because I was apparently "overqualified" to them. Meanwhile, two of my friends with little work experience out of college got accepted into AmeriCorps so easily. The second problem is most AmeriCorps positions require or recommend that you have reliable transportation. I can't imagine living on less-than-minimum wages while having a car (maintain it, pay for gas, pay for car insurance). Not to mention you are already struggling to pay for rent, phone bills, and buy groceries. If you want to join AmeriCorps and don't want to struggle with finances, you must fit in the "perfect" category of a college graduate that has little or no job experience, has a car and somehow able to keep it, and lives with his/her parents or five roommates.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Why do you want to join AmeriCorps?
      2) How do you motivate yourself at work while living on a small stipend?
      3) What do you want to do after the AmeriCorps term is over (full-time job or graduate school?)
      4) Why are you interested in helping your community and addressing social issues?
      5) Are you willing to work with low-income, poor, and minority families?

Answer Question

Care Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

I had an initial interview with someone at the central organization, followed by a second interview with the specific site at which I would be working. In the first interview, he told me 30 minutes in that he was going to advance me to the next round, but it took a few weeks for anyone to contact me about the second interview. Both were pretty straightforward - I think they just wanted to see that I was passionate, dedicated, and (especially in the second interview) a good fit for the job in terms of my skills and interests.

Interview Questions
    • First interview: All pretty basic. The hardest question he asked was what I thought were the main barriers to health care access for low income/underserved populations. He also asked about whether I would be able to get by on the small living allowance.   Answer Question
    • Second interview: Also pretty straightforward, but more focused on why I had chosen this position as opposed to the others offered by the site. She asked about what attracted me to this job, my future plans, what I hoped to gain from the experience, etc.   Answer Question

AmerCorps Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Depends on the Organization. If you are going to be working for a community organization you should commit a great deal of time to researching that organization and the surrounding community and why improving that community is important to you personally.

It's important to make the intervewer believe you were meant for this role.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

The application process was pretty standard answered questions about previous experience. I was then chosen for a phone interview. The phone interview had basic questions asking about certain experiences on my resume and how I would deal with specific situations of conflict, diversity, etc. I was then invited to the in-person interview. Every AmeriCorps program is different. The one I interviewed for is health related and their are various nonprofit clinics that partner with the project called Project Health Access. The in-person interview took a few hours because there were supervisors from various sites that were hiring and 20 plus people interviewing for the different positions. The sites presented what they were all about and what kind of member they were looking for. I then chose a few different sites to have a 5 minute interview with. The interviews were standard and informational due to only being 5 minutes.

Team Leader Interview

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

Filled out my application on myamericorps.gov for a Corps Member position. It takes a very long time for your application to be processed and your status to be updated. I was constantly calling the hotline to see if there were any updates but it simply takes awhile. I was accepted to be a Corps Member but then a month or so later got an email asking if I was interested in being a Team Leader for FEMA Corps and I called in to tell them that I was. I had a hour long interview on the phone with two of the unit leaders and they asked a lot of behavioral questions and personality questions. After that I had to complete two essays regarding civic engagement and leadership.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if two members of your team were in a relationship and it made other members of the team uncomfortable?   Answer Question

ICH Life Skills Coach Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

straitforward. Phone then in person with AmeriCorp hiring person and then with the person who will be their direct supervisor at your specific position. They ask pretty standard questions. Nothing unexpected. They are very nice when you do the interview and seem genuinely interested in what you want to get out of the experience.

none. If you accept AmeriCorp you only get what they say they will pay you

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps in August 2014.

AmeriCorps is awesome!. Everything was so detailed and precise when applying and submitting my information. My AmeriCorps supervisor didn't interview me, my site supervisor did, but the hiring wasn't a hit and miss. I knew I was getting the position.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was the travel issue. This was a personal issue I had but after my 1st 3 stipends of AmeriCorps pay I had a vehicle and was able to attend every event that was out of town.   Answer Question

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Hiring process is done via the AmeriCorp website but depends on where and what the position is interviewing for. You must be accepted by the AmeriCorps Vista program and by the agency your will be working out of.

Interview Questions
    • How can you help fix the problems of this site/why would you be an asset.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase

AmeriCorps NCCC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

The AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps Interview process is painful. I applied in February, did not hear anything until April, did not have my interview until June, and did not find out if I had been accepted until late August, when the program started in October. The process is definitely worth the wait as the program is great, however it puts your life on hold if you are trying to figure out what you're going to do.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any questions other than what you were willing to do for service.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

It's a frustrating process full of confusion and quick deadlines. There is no real interview process, at least for Corps Members. You submit your application, and then you wait for them to review your provided information and run some background checks. Figuring out where you are in the process is obnoxious, but it took only a month start to finish to hear a final yes. Also, the final yes is still conditional upon your completion of paperwork every 10 days.