Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
690 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Was part of the final interview process. 5 interviewers, 4 technical interviews and one behavioral. 45-50 minutes per person. On the technical side was asked about prior experience as a "wram" up question then an algorithm. They covered all the standard data structures: Navigation in the binary tree, linked list, search in the graph, system design based on the hash table. Some of the guys seemed very relaxed and the process was sort of working session with a collegue and some of them were a bit distant, and it was a bit hard to read-up anything from them. I got a bit intimidated when I made couple of mistakes but overall process was ok. I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Question – System design of the complete online company. Didn't know how technical I should go, High level or go to specifics. I didn't read off the interviewer where to go - he just said "go ahead and just design away"   View Answers (2)

Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview Details They phoned me and I was in front of my computer because they required me to live code.
Just live coding took all the time of the interview.

First question : Implement merge sort.
Second question : Divide and conquer.

Q&A

We don't really re-invent the wheel or memorize information in detail because they are a few clicks a way, it doesn't look like effective measure to recruit talented people in anyway.

Interview Question – didn't expect that they would ask about merge sort.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details Interview is quite formal compare to standard company. I got a phone call at the first place then I got a email for interview invitation. All the questions they asked are quite fair as well, if you prepared for algorithm questions you get learned in University/College. Amazon employee will interview you use an online team programming tool, that does sync with people who invited with the link, it is quite easy to use. I did not end up to get an offer, but it is an good experience overall :)

Interview Question – How would you identify a binary tree?   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I was approached by the recruiter and was interviewed for Amazon Silk team. Phone interview was not hard. Had straight forward programming question. Went to on-site interviews in Seattle - had 4 interviews with different people. Again, nothing overcomplicated. All guys were really friendly. Overall interview experience was very positive. Response after interview came on the next business day that they decided not to move forward with an offer and I should try another position. Although their policy is not to give a specific feedback, I connected to the guy I had interview/lunch with and he told me that I'm too web-centric while they were looking for core back-end programming guys in their team.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Signed NDA, so I'll not tell the specific questions. All questions were for basic usage of data structures. If you studied Computer Science and exercise to solve and code basic algorithm problems, you'll do well.   Answer Question

Montreal, QC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview Details I met them in person in Montreal where they held a career fair. They reached to me via LinkedIn. I had 4 one-hour interviews back to back in an hotel room.

Interview Question – Be prepared to have technical questions based on algorithms and date structures like binary trees, but also for product-oriented questions like "how would you revamp the main page of Amazon"   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Interview Details I passed on to the second phone interview. General data structures questions about trees and sets.
Problems:
- Find the two elements of an array that sum up to a given sum
- Find a loop in a graph

Interview Question – Find a loop in a graph   Answer Question

Vancouver, BC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Interview Details 2 phone screen interviews, technical questions on datastructures, mostly hash sets and trees

Interview Question – Desgin an LRU Cache   View Answer

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details 3 phone interview, 1 on-site interview

Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Interview Details Received an offer for a interview from a recruiter. First phone interview with a lady that had less experience than me. Second interview with a junior developer with less experience (and guessing even programming knowledge) than me. They did not seem happy with C# 4.0 syntax. I had to rewrite my answers in C++ syntax. I had not worked with binary trees since university but I was able to answer the questions. No idea why they did not select me for a onsite interview. However, I don't care I was not sure if I was going to put up with they crazy 8 hrs on site interview, and also I was not very interested as they pay is the same as other smaller companies, the pressure is way higher and I prefer to have balanced life outside work.
Overall, after taking to my friend (ex-amazon programmer) too little reward for the trouble. Employees do not even have free Prime.

Interview Question – No one, they were all fairly simple. Questions related to binary trees and linked lists.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Hiring Event

Interview Question – Think a data structure like Facebook you have connections (with name, email, and list of connections) and your connections have connections, print first level connection and second level connection.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!