Amazon.com

Updated 21 Dec, 2014

3.4

727 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Had a good interview with them.They asked to me show lowest possible time for the breadth first search so i cracked it easily and solved but lost in other questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

5 rounds of interviews including 1 round chatting interview during lunch. 2 of 5 rounds are also training program which means there will be one more new interviewer around. 2 rounds are algorithms focused and 1 round is design focused and 1 round is a mixture of both plus one chatty round.

Interview Questions
    • Given a matrix of numbers. You start at left top corner and stop at right bottom corner. You can only move right or move down. Maximize the minimum number in the path.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Amazon came to my university and interviewed many of us back to back in a reserved room. Had to sign NDA before interview. Was asked to introduce self, and went straight into algorithm questions given a piece of note paper to explain. Interview kept looking at phone, but explained he was checking the time.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Was part of the final interview process. 5 interviewers, 4 technical interviews and one behavioral. 45-50 minutes per person. On the technical side was asked about prior experience as a "wram" up question then an algorithm. They covered all the standard data structures: Navigation in the binary tree, linked list, search in the graph, system design based on the hash table. Some of the guys seemed very relaxed and the process was sort of working session with a collegue and some of them were a bit distant, and it was a bit hard to read-up anything from them. I got a bit intimidated when I made couple of mistakes but overall process was ok. I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • System design of the complete online company. Didn't know how technical I should go, High level or go to specifics. I didn't read off the interviewer where to go - he just said "go ahead and just design away"   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was approached by the recruiter and was interviewed for Amazon Silk team. Phone interview was not hard. Had straight forward programming question. Went to on-site interviews in Seattle - had 4 interviews with different people. Again, nothing overcomplicated. All guys were really friendly. Overall interview experience was very positive. Response after interview came on the next business day that they decided not to move forward with an offer and I should try another position. Although their policy is not to give a specific feedback, I connected to the guy I had interview/lunch with and he told me that I'm too web-centric while they were looking for core back-end programming guys in their team.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Signed NDA, so I'll not tell the specific questions. All questions were for basic usage of data structures. If you studied Computer Science and exercise to solve and code basic algorithm problems, you'll do well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

They phoned me and I was in front of my computer because they required me to live code.
    Just live coding took all the time of the interview.

First question : Implement merge sort.
    Second question : Divide and conquer.

Q&A

We don't really re-invent the wheel or memorize information in detail because they are a few clicks a way, it doesn't look like effective measure to recruit talented people in anyway.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview is quite formal compare to standard company. I got a phone call at the first place then I got a email for interview invitation. All the questions they asked are quite fair as well, if you prepared for algorithm questions you get learned in University/College. Amazon employee will interview you use an online team programming tool, that does sync with people who invited with the link, it is quite easy to use. I did not end up to get an offer, but it is an good experience overall :)

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

I passed on to the second phone interview. General data structures questions about trees and sets.
    Problems:
    - Find the two elements of an array that sum up to a given sum
    - Find a loop in a graph

3 phone interview, 1 on-site interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

2 phone screen interviews, technical questions on datastructures, mostly hash sets and trees