Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

They attended a local career fair at my university - I handed them my resume and was asked to apply online with a certain code for SDE Interns. I applied and received a call scheduled for the next following day to interview. Interviewed, and got the email offer within 4 days.

Interview Questions

• Very typical codeable question for an undergrad - something you would get from cracking the coding interview. Only one question was asked - I then chatted with both interviewers for 45 minutes each separately for two back-to-back interviews.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in March-2014.

Interview

Two phone calls covering the following:
    Phone call 1-
    a. Write a function to remove the nth last element from a singly linked list
    b. Edge cases
    c. Tests for that function
    d. Input and output validation using status codes
    e. API design considerations and error handling for the function

Phone call 2-
    a. Functions to reverse a linked list recursively and then iteratively
    b. Determine if two strings are anagrams, various approaches, space and time complexity
    c. Given two singly linked list heads, determine if they are merged
    d. Find the merge point of the two lists
    e. Test the merge/intersect function, consider edge cases
    f. Space and time complexity for all algorithms and data structures questions

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected- Recruiter was difficult to reach and had about <12hrs warning before scheduling interview. The actual interviews went well- the engineers were easy to talk to and walked through the problem solving.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

I had a contact in the company. The person forwarded my resume to his manager and a few days later HR person contacted me for schedules. Two phone interviews were scheduled. Each was 1 hour. One interviewer told me that the company would invite me for on-site if I did well on the phone interviews, but I screwed the interviews up. :(

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give a scalable system design of Amazon.com's order number generation service.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

I had two or three phone interviews and went to the local office that was hiring to do a four hour in-person interview. Phone interviews consisted of technical questions and in-person interview consisted of technical and personal questions.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

I applied twice, once in early October and once in late October, and I talked to them at a career fair in between those two dates. I did not get an email until the night of December 3rd, which invited me to interview on December 5th. Usually companies will invite you to choose a specific date that fit your schedule so I found it a little rude for them to schedule an interview less than 48 hours away. Luckily I was free at that time, but I did not have a positive image of the process. The two interviews were going to be back to back 45 min phone interviews that started on the hour, so 15 min break in between.

Interview Questions

• write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen).   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online in January 2014 and received a call to set up an interview within a week. I had two 45 mins technical interviews. I was asked to code on a shared editor to solve some simple problems. Nothing unexpected, questions were like the ones that everyone comes across in technical interviews.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Applied on college job site. Received an email to pick a date to have two 45 minute interviews at my college career center. First interview had a pretty common question. Second interview was more difficult, not types of question you would see in Cracking the Coding Interview. Overall, the interview was fair. Just practice writing out code on paper or a whiteboard if you have a face-to-face interview and brush up on basic algorithms! I interviewed on Thursday and received an email with offer on Monday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for interns

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Submitted resume online, got contacted in a around a month and was asked to a phone interview within a couple days. Completed two phone interviews, thought they went well, but was contacted nearly two weeks later that I was not accepted.

Interview Questions

• An optimal algorithm to check whether a hand of cards was a full house (in Poker) or not.   3 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied at school job fair as well as online. Received an email asking for a response and was scheduled to do an interview the next day. Two 45 min interviews on campus. Asked me a few behavioral questions based off my programming projects. Interviewers were very friendly and I had a good time talking to them.

Interview Questions

• First question was to find all numbers that occurred an odd-number of times in an array and second question was implement a stack that could return the largest number in the stack at anytime.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

2 back to back telephonic interview of duration 45 minutes

Interview Questions

• Given a set of points (x,y) and an integer "n", return n number of points which are close to the origin   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase as such as the position was open to internship