Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2014

3.2

205 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Two phone calls covering the following:
Phone call 1-
a. Write a function to remove the nth last element from a singly linked list
b. Edge cases
c. Tests for that function
d. Input and output validation using status codes
e. API design considerations and error handling for the function

Phone call 2-
a. Functions to reverse a linked list recursively and then iteratively
b. Determine if two strings are anagrams, various approaches, space and time complexity
c. Given two singly linked list heads, determine if they are merged
d. Find the merge point of the two lists
e. Test the merge/intersect function, consider edge cases
f. Space and time complexity for all algorithms and data structures questions

Interview Questions
  • Most unexpected- Recruiter was difficult to reach and had about <12hrs warning before scheduling interview. The actual interviews went well- the engineers were easy to talk to and walked through the problem solving.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

They attended a local career fair at my university - I handed them my resume and was asked to apply online with a certain code for SDE Interns. I applied and received a call scheduled for the next following day to interview. Interviewed, and got the email offer within 4 days.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical codeable question for an undergrad - something you would get from cracking the coding interview. Only one question was asked - I then chatted with both interviewers for 45 minutes each separately for two back-to-back interviews.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

The entire process was very enjoyable for me. Before the interview, I was informed on the topics they would ask so I could better prepare myself for it. I had back-to-back interviews with 45 minutes each. The interview didn't delve too much into my past experience and just went straight to the technical questions. I answered 2 questions for each interview. The questions were about data structures and algorithms, if you know the Cracking book pretty well then it should be no problem. The interviewers were nice and guided me with the right directions to answer the questions. I was given an offer a week later and was provided with very detailed information about the internship. Overall it was a very positive interviewing experience for me.

Interview Questions
    • Very expected questions. For every question, you are expected to explain your approach, step through conceptually, and then write the code, step through the code, and clean up the code. Although questions are not the most difficult, you need to be very accurate and precise with your thought process and code.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Got the interview through a college career fair. Two back-to-back phone interviews with different people, each one 45 minutes.Both interviews were technical and required coding online. About 2 weeks after the phone interviews, I got an email from the recruiter extending an offer. They gave me about 2 weeks to respond to the official offer.

Interview Questions
    • -Write a method to convert an integer into a roman numeral string
      -Design a class for a deck of cards
        Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Applied through my University Career portal and was interviewed on campus. Two interviewers both were nice and were from software engineering background. Basic interview questions on resume and projects. Then onto some programming.

Interview Questions
    • Given nxn grid with some squares that are impassable discuss an algorithm to find a path from start to goal.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of unsorted integer values define a method that determines repeats within the array. Can you optimize your algorithm for space /time.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I had two or three phone interviews and went to the local office that was hiring to do a four hour in-person interview. Phone interviews consisted of technical questions and in-person interview consisted of technical and personal questions.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Applied online at Amazon careers website. Received an email invitation for 2 phone interviews back to back.

Phone 1: Some initial theory questions about Java and BSTs. Then asked a question to find all the paths from root to leaf that sum up to a given number.

Phone 2: Detailed discussion related to my projects. Asked few OS related questions. Asked about removing duplicates from an array. Sum of elements of an array equal to a given number with variations.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were quite expected. I encourage interviewees to keep their calm and everything will go fine.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

I was selected after their on-campus visit. The interview was also held on campus. Interviewed with 2 people for 45 mins each.
    First interviewer: 1) In an array, all numbers appear odd number of times except one. Identify it. Optimize.
    2) Implement a cache and write code for it.
    3) What is virtual memory? What types of scheduling are you aware of?

Interview Questions
    • Given a 3x3 keypad with ABC on number 2, DEF on number 3 and so on. Given a set of numbers, output all the english words that can be obtained from it. Assume an in-built function exists to check if the given word is an english word or not.
      Eg: inuput: 228, output: bat, cat, act and so on.
        Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Applied online in January and after 2 month when Amazon hosted a career fair on our campus, got selected for back to back 90 mins interview. 45 mins with each interviewer. Questions are standard questions. If you do problems on UVA online judge, Topcoder or Hackerrank regularly, these type of interview questions should be fairly straightforward to answer.

Also, as many other big tech companies, just solving the problem is not enough. It's also important that you make sure your thought can be understood by others. Explaining how you come up with a solution with clarity is much more important that just solving all of the problems without saying how you did it.

There are four questions. 1 focus on math, 1 on building trees, 1 on linkedlist and 1 on string manipulation
    As always, make sure you also understand the complexity and performance of you solution.

No negotiation. But I think the final offer (final salary) also depends on your performance during the interview.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

My phone interview for Software Development Engineer Intern at Amazon.com was my first phone interview ever. It was a very interesting experience. There were two rounds of interviewing, each lasting 45 minutes each and all the questions asked were purely technical.

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!