Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

194 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details Two phone calls covering the following:
Phone call 1-
a. Write a function to remove the nth last element from a singly linked list
b. Edge cases
c. Tests for that function
d. Input and output validation using status codes
e. API design considerations and error handling for the function

Phone call 2-
a. Functions to reverse a linked list recursively and then iteratively
b. Determine if two strings are anagrams, various approaches, space and time complexity
c. Given two singly linked list heads, determine if they are merged
d. Find the merge point of the two lists
e. Test the merge/intersect function, consider edge cases
f. Space and time complexity for all algorithms and data structures questions

Interview Question – Most unexpected- Recruiter was difficult to reach and had about <12hrs warning before scheduling interview. The actual interviews went well- the engineers were easy to talk to and walked through the problem solving.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details They attended a local career fair at my university - I handed them my resume and was asked to apply online with a certain code for SDE Interns. I applied and received a call scheduled for the next following day to interview. Interviewed, and got the email offer within 4 days.

Interview Question – Very typical codeable question for an undergrad - something you would get from cracking the coding interview. Only one question was asked - I then chatted with both interviewers for 45 minutes each separately for two back-to-back interviews.   Answer Question

Madison, WI (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online in January and after 2 month when Amazon hosted a career fair on our campus, got selected for back to back 90 mins interview. 45 mins with each interviewer. Questions are standard questions. If you do problems on UVA online judge, Topcoder or Hackerrank regularly, these type of interview questions should be fairly straightforward to answer.

Also, as many other big tech companies, just solving the problem is not enough. It's also important that you make sure your thought can be understood by others. Explaining how you come up with a solution with clarity is much more important that just solving all of the problems without saying how you did it.

There are four questions. 1 focus on math, 1 on building trees, 1 on linkedlist and 1 on string manipulation
As always, make sure you also understand the complexity and performance of you solution.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. But I think the final offer (final salary) also depends on your performance during the interview.

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details Had two back to back interviews. Take process takes lot of time. After 2 weeks got a mail for a third interview. Scheduled the third interview but had to postpone it. After that they said summer intake is complete you will be considered for fall. Scheduled the third interview last week. Was asked to make combinations of word from a phone number
eg 1-800-222-2342 then 222 can be cab ,etc. Completed it in 45 minutes still got a reject.

Interview Question – N th element in a binary tree.
Mirror Image of a Binary tree
Queue using stacks.
Garage class model.
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer INTERN Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I applied twice, once in early October and once in late October, and I talked to them at a career fair in between those two dates. I did not get an email until the night of December 3rd, which invited me to interview on December 5th. Usually companies will invite you to choose a specific date that fit your schedule so I found it a little rude for them to schedule an interview less than 48 hours away. Luckily I was free at that time, but I did not have a positive image of the process. The two interviews were going to be back to back 45 min phone interviews that started on the hour, so 15 min break in between.

Interview Question – write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen).   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details At first, the RH team of Amazon contacted me to make an appointment for two phone interviews of 45min each with 15min break.
The interviews were technical interviews about Collections and Binary Search Trees. I had to implement a program in each interview about those topics.
In the first I had to write a method, using the website http://collabedit.com/ , that receives an integer and returns a string. That is an example:
brackets(0) = {} // no return
brackets(1) = { () } // returns a string with “()”
brackets(2) = { (()), ()() }
brackets(3) = { ((())), (()()), (())(), ()(()), ()()() }
In the second I had to discourse about Trees and to know how to implement one.
That was all that happened!

Interview Question – To discourse about Trees.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details It was a on-campus PI. There were 3 rounds. One coding round and 2 PI's.

Interview Question – There was as such no hard question for me. But unfortunately i was not prepared for this interview. Frankly this was my first ever interview. So yes i was bit nervous and i didn't knew about the tips and tricks for cracking the interview at that time. I was asked the following 2 questions:

1. given a tree, do the level order traversal of the tree. Explain the logic and write it's proper code not pseudo-code.

2 given a link list, Reverse a Linked List in groups of given size. write it's code.
  View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Submitted resume online, got contacted in a around a month and was asked to a phone interview within a couple days. Completed two phone interviews, thought they went well, but was contacted nearly two weeks later that I was not accepted.

Interview Question – An optimal algorithm to check whether a hand of cards was a full house (in Poker) or not.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied on their website in November. Had no response until February, when a recruiter contacted me, sending me a link to a Codility test (which was quite difficult). A week after I submitted the test, the recruiter called me to let me know that I passed the test and that they are inviting me to an onsite interview. The interview was difficult, but straightforward. The interviewer was very nice, and gave me hints when I felt that I was stuck.

Interview Question – The technical problem wasn't something very difficult at first sight, but the trick was finding out the most efficient solution, which involved using tries. This solution was not implementable in 45 minutes, so the interviewer asked me to implement a specific part from the solution. There were very few behavioural questions, and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details I applied online from their career website. Got a reply after 3 to 4 weeks. There were 2 back to back 45 minutes interviews with a 15 mins break in between. Both were technical and focused on Data Structures.
In the first interview the interviewer asked me about my projects, why I got into this field and why I applied for this position and then asked the main programming question. The second interview was also more or less the same.

Interview Question – 1. Implement a hashset from scratch, write code for various methods of hashset.
2. Find all the pairs of numbers from a list that sums to a particular number.
  View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 194 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.