Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Recruiter

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Reched out ot me for a postion after 2 phone interviews, never heard back from them, even after a follow up email.

Interview Question – no hard questions.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I had a great experience interviewing at Amazon for a recruiting role. I had recieved a call from a sourcing recruiter who spoke with me a little about a technical recruiting position that had opened and she said that she would be interested in setting up a phone interview with the hiring manager. 1-2 days later we had a telephone interview set up and for the end of the week. The interview with the hiring manager was energizing and was like aconversation you would have liked to keep going if you could. Conversation about salemanship, customer service, and recruiting know how. Also went over the metrics of recruiting alittle. I felt good about the connection. The follwing week we shceduled an in person interview in Seattle with thte hiriung maanger and 3 others and I was provided with the address and other needed materials, job description etc. The interviews were all about 45 minutes and I met with 3 managers and one of the senior recruiters. They were great conversations and although I am usually really nervous but they made me feel comfortable. The take away from the interviews...recruiting at Amazon is challenge and opportunity but definitely worth it! Very professional and admirable interviews some took notes via laptops others jotted notes. I would be a pleasure to work with/for these managers.

Interview Question – Tell me about how you dealt with a mistake you have made?
How do you handle missing a deadline?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great, the offer was exactly what I had hoped for. No need to counter offer.

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I was referred by a family member.
The interview consisted of one initial phone interview followed by phone interviews with 2 additional Recruiters and the Hiring Manager.
The Recruiters asked behavioral questions (describe a time when you had to complete a difficult task, have you ever had any disagreements with co-workers and how long I would stay with them). The hiring manager had questions about my gap in employment which lead to her believing that I would not "stay" with the company and would "move on" after immediately being hired.
They also mentioned that I would have to convince them that I would stay for the required 1.5 years, but due to my background and education, the hiring manager was not convinced I would make that commitment.

Interview Question – What are the things you did not like about your last job.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Two phone interviews - second all competency based.

Interview Question – Competency   Answer Question

Recruiter

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details You interview with several different people. Each person focuses on a different competency. You will need to be very descriptive with your answers because you may be interviewing with someone from a different field than your own.

Interview Question – Be ready to speak to your volume, and how your measure your success and the success of the different pipelines you source from.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Very very lengthy, they use behavioral based interview questions to really dive deep into what your skill set is, what projects you've managed, how strategic and tactical you can be...

Interview Question – All of them were tough; this is not a casual process for the super passive job seeker; you need to be prepared to speak to metrics, projects, specifics. Don't be intimidated; stay calm and really talk comfortably about your accomplishments and successes. Yet, don't be overconfident. Be able to be "vocally self critical" when appropriate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – challenging but we got to a mutually agreed upon package

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details Oh Dear Amazon... you can do better.

process: personal intro through existing amazon employee, one 20 minute phone call - very positive feedback. Then 3 weeks of emails suggesting I talk to so & so - but so & so never confirming a time. (The person's name changed each week, 'sorry so and so didn't make time, but actually talk to so & so instead...') Final step was on site interview for 5 or 6 hours.

Recruiters had clearly been coached on 'ownership' and 'customer experience' (yes, they consider their candidates customers) but of the 6 people I met during my onsite - only one of them gave it any heed. After an initial intro, they all laid out they would: "save 5 minutes for your (my) questions at the end"... by which point they were looking at their watches, and waving to the next interviewer hovering outside, clearly desperate to get back to their desks & get on with their work load. 4 of the 6 people I met told me they had 15 minutes of their day unscheduled that day... and it felt like your questions were biting into their desperately needed coffee break.

All but one of the interviewers sat with their laptop between them and I (hello, anyone know a thing or two about body language?!) Put it a little to the side, this is interpersonal skills 101! Most of them read their questions off their laptop screens, and as many other posters mention - their questions (all behavioral based) focused on the negative:

Tell me about a time you weren't able to deliver promised work.
Tell me about your biggest failure in your last role.
Tell me about a time you let your team down.
Tell me about a time you made a mistake.
Tell me about how you handle being overworked.

While it's important to investigate the negative, what about the positive too?! I got the sense they were totally stretched, and didn't have very understanding clients - and wanted to make sure their hires could handle the storm. Fair enough, I guess, but I came way relived to make it out the door - feeling it was nowhere I wanted to work! Not just because of the hard work, (hard work can be good) but because these people would be my colleagues & they weren't upholding the values the Jeff Bezos came up with & those values were the reasons I wanted to work there in the first place.

The icing on the cake? My point person - who they called a Closing Recruiter. We'd talked for 4 minutes the day before the interview, and he told me he was 'my recruiter' and asked if I had any questions. He spent 7 minutes with me on the day because 'he was running late for his next interview' (as the only impressive person I'd met that day had overrun). When he called to give me the feedback that 'they were going to keep looking' and he did so while on speakerphone. speakerphone!!

Interview Question – It wasn't one question, but 3 of the recruiters questions covered very similar negative / failure area - and being asked to tell a different story than last time...   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I had an onsite interview with 2 Sr. Recruiters at Seattle HQ's. I've also been contacted via email from a current Amazon HR Recruiter who never responded back after she reached me (extremely unprofessional).

Interview Question – Main question was: "If you had an opening (i.e., Web Developer) what is the first thing you would do? What would your next step be?"   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Gorgeous building, hipster-ville, I was totally out of place dressed in a suit. Lots of security, and the interviewer was nice but aloof. Interview was very basic - the second person never showed up to the interview (which should have been a sign) - they said they would make their decision by the end of the week, however they never got back to me.

Interview Question – You have 5 different tasks (she listed them out) - how do you proceed with your day?   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Interview Details The whole experience was pretty chaotic and disorganised and did a pretty poor job of selling Amazon as an employer.

Very slow to pick up initial CV (almost three weeks). Initial scheduled telephone interview did not happen, I simply did not receive a call. After two days of chasing I finally got a call back and we rescheduled. I then had two very long phone interviews which covered all of the same ground followed by a trip to Luxembourg for five back-to-back interviews which covered it all again.

All of the interviews consisted of the same old-school competency based questions: "Can you give me an example of..." Besides the fact that this is incredibly old fashioned, it also makes for a very dull experience as you're effectively repeating yourself. If all five interviewers are going to ask all the same questions, why don't they just do a panel interview?

Nobody at Amazon seemed to want to sell the job to me - everyone made it sound pretty miserable! I was not shown around the site, merely kept in a small interview room for over three hours. At lunchtime, I was not taken to lunch or looked after in any way, just left to go and find myself something in a strange city with only 30 minutes. Pretty uninviting experience.

I was told countless times that they are struggling to fill the job but nobody there seems to understand that they are not selling it at all well and do not seem to be clear what they're looking for, as a lot of the other comments here suggest. The job spec bears little resemblance to the job as it was described at interview.

I was not surprised or disappointed to be told a few days later that they had "identified a more suitable candidate". Strangely, they are still re-advertising the role a month later!

I responded (both to the Recruiter and the HR Manager) asking for some general feedback and was so imply ignored. Personally, I consider this pretty appalling after taking up two days of my time. I submitted my expenses and had to chase three times just to get an acknowledgement. Over a month later, I am still waiting to be reimbursed.

For a company who claim to be customer focused and place value on the candidate experience, it was a pretty pathetic one.

Interview Question – Can you give me an example of ...x... in the form of a totally data-driven answer?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Recruiter interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.