Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

4,156 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

SED Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details 4 interviewers, 1 interview on the first day. If you make it to the next round 3 interviews in a row with different interviewers.

Interview Question – Code a method for kindle word spacing, on an actual laptop. Given the number of words and the number of space on a line, how to spread words out evenly with white spaces between words.   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Support Engineer

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details A 1 hour phone interview. Asked quite few questions about my resume. Then came to technical questions. Sorting algorithm, unix command, oo concept, etc.

Interview Question – No unexpected question   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details two 45 minute interviews on the same day. Both relied on collaborative coding where we could both read and write code on the document (online). Technical questions were asked, mostly questions like sorting, joining two lists and deleting duplicates, etc.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Two 45 minute interviews on campus.
-Some general data structures/algorithm questions
-In a list of integers, give an algorithm to find the block with the largest sum
-A graph problem
-Given a list of words, describe an algorithm for finding duplicate strings, find a way to do it using no additional memory or certain run time.
-simple text compression algorithm

Interview Question – Write a program to compress text (being as syntactically correct as possible in a language of your choice) by encoding runs of repeated characters:
e.g. aaaaaabbbcc becomes a6b3c2

Also the graph problem which I cannot remember exactly but you had a certain number of spaces and each space could jump a certain number of spaces to another space. Find the shortest number of jumps to reach the end.
  Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Got a phone interview first. Routine questions that you would expect, with some brain-teasers thrown in between. Couldn't get some of them, and I felt the attitude from my interviewer wasn't that friendly or forgiving.

Interview Question – Was asked to implement some graph search function based on an existing code base on the spot.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Interview Details First the recruiter from Amazon sent me an email asking for my interest in their office Seattle, WA. I replied with my disagreement that I dont want to live my current city then they offer me an interview for my current city in Canada.
Then I gave three interview. In my first interview they asked about my background and then they started coding question. In my three interviews the interviewr asked me question on link list, object oriented questions, hashmap and other data structures.

Interview Question – Design a card game.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details I received interview notice after campus career fair. two 45-minute interview was arranged.

Interview Question – .First interview asked BST and 2sum in an array including time and space complexity questions. The second one asked me to merge to sorted array and something about arraylist and linkedlist.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Had two phone intervews back to back.

Interview Question – Implement a Linked List   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I
Montreal, QC

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details So, I met an Amazon recruiter at a software engineering conference for undergraduate students. After a brief chat, she sent me to speak with one of the two engineers at the Amazon booth. This engineer asked me a data structures related programming question. Naturally, this question had a simple naive solution as well as an optimized solution. I coded up a quick solution both ways and explained them.

Approximately 3 weeks later, I was contacted and Amazon flew me out to Seattle for an interview at their headquarters (no phone interview). At their headquarters, there was a 6 hour long coding intensive interview conducted in small groups, with a 1 on 1 interview to close out the day.

Two days after, I was extended an offer, which I accepted. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Interview Question – NDA, sorry.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Extremely good offer, maybe in the 99th percentile for new graduates in the area. Did not negotiate.

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 9+ months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Applied in March, got an interview offer in November. Two 45 min phone interviews. Asked about sorting algorithm, linked list, reversing characters of each words in a sentence., OO concept. The first interviewer sounded like a douche, did not guide me when I was struggling, and gave few word feedback after I answered every questions. The second interviewer was nice.

Interview Question – Use OO to design shape (The interviewer did not clarify any further)   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com