Amazon.com Interview Questions

4,885 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

I applied online, and after six months, they sent me an email. We scheduled a meeting, it was with a Developer from Seattle, it was pretty good, some hard questions and background check, and after that we did a coding session using a collaboration board. After a week, they wold me that I did not passed the interview.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Was first contacted by linkedin by Amazon recuriter
    Then was requested to do a phone interview to learn about the culture of Amazon and things to expect
    First tech interview was on phone, there was a slight mixup of time but was asked Hashtable question, programming in live with the interviewer
    Second was invited to go to Montreal for interview was put at a hotel with all expenses paid.
    Second round had 4 interviewers, 1st HR person offered me TPM position I wasnt going into the interview with TPM in mindset since it was a Senior Dev, but said I would be interested in TPM.

Interview Questions
    • First question on parsing logs, finding most top 3 clicked links, as in a chain of links pg1 -> pg2 -> pg3, which has the most hits   View Answer
    • Some javascript questions on checkboxes, deselection a 3 state button   View Answer
    • Implement an LRU Cache, and a BST tree question   View Answer
    • Was asked all kinds of manager types questions, product etc motivations etc   View Answer
    • More on design how to scale, what architecture I would use for a web, how would I build a image upload site, messaging, queues etc   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Contacted through LinkedIn by recruiter. Signed up for a Hiring Event in Toronto. 15 minute phone conversation with Amazon recruiter. Hiring event consisted of 5 interviews, one with HR recruiter to go over HR issues related to working at Amazon. The other 4 were all technical. Was a pleasant experience overall. Interviewers were professional and cordial. Each lasted 45 minutes (exactly). The questions were pretty much as expected. Was told I would be contacted within 3 days whether they were going to offer position - all were for HQ at Seattle. I thought I did "ok". Though I stumbled a bit on the first interview.

They let me know they were not ready to offer me anything. No feedback, but they told me they wouldn't give feedback from the start.

Overall a pleasant experience. Seriously. :-)

Interview Questions
    • Signed a NDA. But nothing unexpected, and nothing too difficult, assuming you have been studying.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

I passed on to the second phone interview. General data structures questions about trees and sets.
    Problems:
    - Find the two elements of an array that sum up to a given sum
    - Find a loop in a graph

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Had initial interview with recruiter. After about two weeks had 2 technical interviews over the phone. Interviewers were very nice and tried to help, mostly discussing algorithms and presenting code solutions.
    In few weeks were offered to visit their office. Had about 5 interviews in a row, mostly technical and also with manager. Everybody was very friendly, open to discussions and questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you solve performance issue in your application?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on college job website, and received an interview on campus. The result came out in the night after interview.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program which do a multiplication without using any built-in multiplication function. and optimize it.   View Answers (2)

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

About two to three phone interviews and then in office interview at Seattle office. Amazon people are very friendly and smart and their questions make a lot of sense. I feel really good about the experience for interview at Amazon. I would be happy if they chose me for an in person interview at Seattle.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question. the interview walks you through the answer and helps along the way. Just be good at algorithms and some languages like C++ , java, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

2 phone screen interviews, technical questions on datastructures, mostly hash sets and trees

3 phone interview, 1 on-site interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Received an offer for a interview from a recruiter. First phone interview with a lady that had less experience than me. Second interview with a junior developer with less experience (and guessing even programming knowledge) than me. They did not seem happy with C# 4.0 syntax. I had to rewrite my answers in C++ syntax. I had not worked with binary trees since university but I was able to answer the questions. No idea why they did not select me for a onsite interview. However, I don't care I was not sure if I was going to put up with they crazy 8 hrs on site interview, and also I was not very interested as they pay is the same as other smaller companies, the pressure is way higher and I prefer to have balanced life outside work.
    Overall, after taking to my friend (ex-amazon programmer) too little reward for the trouble. Employees do not even have free Prime.

Interview Questions
    • No one, they were all fairly simple. Questions related to binary trees and linked lists.   Answer Question