Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014
4,897 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer In Test Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 phone interviews back to back

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Like most people here, two 45 minutes back-to-back phone interviews by two engineers. First interview was full of conceptual questions and a lot on resume. Second was coding, like basic data structure and OO design.

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied through Linkedin for the position of Senior Product Manager (AWS Mobile services). I received a screening phone call from the HR who referred me to the Product Director. During the call, I was asked many questions about my previous work experience. More questions about products that I like (IT or otherwise) and why. Customer orientation is a key during all interviews.
    I was then referred to a product manager for a second interview. If you are not familiar with Case interviews, you should read "Case in Point". The interviewer asked about whether to invest in a service or discontinue it. The key is to show the line of though rather than an exact answer.
    A third interview was set with another product manager. This time it was more specific about AWS products and what can be added to the line of products they offer and why. Another case was then brought forward "If you were to launch a back up cloud service, would you approve?"
    I did not reach the next step of the interview process as I stumbled in my answer.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview consisted of two phone-screens followed by a trip to Amazon's headquarters in Seattle. In Seattle, I interviewed with 5 or 6 different people, including my potential manager (over lunch) and one other team member. The rest of the interviews were with developers/dev managers from other teams at Amazon. Every interview was about an hour in length, and with the exception of the lunch interview were very technical, with lots of whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions
    • None of the technical questions were standard CS questions - but they weren't that far off. There were list, graph, and other algorithm questions, but they were given in the context of an actual use case at Amazon, and then you needed to figure out what algorithm to use. For instance, I got the "How do you tell if a directed graph has a cycle?" question, but in the context of an Amazon use case.

That said, it might just be those set of Amazon reviewers - I have done Amazon interviews in the past for an intern position, where off-the-shelf questions with no Amazon veneer were used.
        View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

2 45 minutes back-to-back interviews

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a specific problem you've met doing your project, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

amazon team is coming to hire in Montreal,QC, prior to that they asked me to take the test, it was average three questions have to be completed in an hour but we are allowed to take more than an hour.hopefully will be selected for the interview here in Montreal

Interview Questions
    • a primitive class having two string attributes and one attribute list of the class itself and then we have to get the each level's string variables's printed....   View Answers (2)
    I am not done with hiring process yet, just one test is done.,,

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

After submitting my resume, I received an e-mail from their recruiter inviting me to an interview. They were doing interviews at my university on specific days, so I was asked to choose one of those days and specify a time slot that works for me.

At the interview, there were two Amazon engineers in separate rooms and I had to do a 30-minute one-on-one interview with each of them. They weren't notably friendly, but both were very polite and respectful. The interview consisted mostly of technical programming questions - there were probably only 2 or 3 general questions.

Interview Questions
    • You have a file with 4 billion integers. Find an integer that doesn't exist in the file, given that you have very little available memory on your computer.   View Answers (5)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

I met them in person in Montreal where they held a career fair. They reached to me via LinkedIn. I had 4 one-hour interviews back to back in an hotel room.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to have technical questions based on algorithms and date structures like binary trees, but also for product-oriented questions like "how would you revamp the main page of Amazon"   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com.

The interview was conducted by a Business Intelligence Engineer. The process was so nice. When I didn't understand what the question is and asked the interviewee to repeat for me. He was very nice to say it again in another way. All questions are technical questions. 1. Talk about a project you enjoyed. 2. Questions about statistical modeling.

Interview Questions
    • Given a dataset, only the first variable has been confirmed as an independent variable. There is no other info. How to build a model or run a regression?   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

A one-hour phone interview with collabedit sharing (a textedit window for typing source code). An interesting collaborative process for demonstrating things I knew about data structures (my interviewer knew other things). Questions tended to be about handling edge cases or corrupted data.

A one-day session at Amazon HQ with 6 interviewers, mostly on understanding of data systems; some detailed code expression for evolving a class through escalating requirements. Questions about previous problems (technical & social) and how I dealt with them.

Interview Questions
    • How did I deal with an intrasigent colleague. I gave the interviewer the choice of peer or superior, and answered the latter. Since the "solution" involved my changing teams then taking over the person's responsibilities, there was a definite awkward pause.   Answer Question