Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated 28 Sep, 2014
4,944 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Like most people here, two 45 minutes back-to-back phone interviews by two engineers. First interview was full of conceptual questions and a lot on resume. Second was coding, like basic data structure and OO design.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

amazon team is coming to hire in Montreal,QC, prior to that they asked me to take the test, it was average three questions have to be completed in an hour but we are allowed to take more than an hour.hopefully will be selected for the interview here in Montreal

Interview Questions
    • a primitive class having two string attributes and one attribute list of the class itself and then we have to get the each level's string variables's printed....   View Answers (2)
    I am not done with hiring process yet, just one test is done.,,

Software Development Engineer Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Applied online and invited for phone interview. The interview started with an introduction and a programming question. The question was rather easy but challenging enough for a one-hour interview. Discussed the debugging and design process for the given solution. Overall, enjoyed the interview and got the result after few days.

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com.

The interview was conducted by a Business Intelligence Engineer. The process was so nice. When I didn't understand what the question is and asked the interviewee to repeat for me. He was very nice to say it again in another way. All questions are technical questions. 1. Talk about a project you enjoyed. 2. Questions about statistical modeling.

Interview Questions
    • Given a dataset, only the first variable has been confirmed as an independent variable. There is no other info. How to build a model or run a regression?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

60 minutes phone tech interviews. First question is a behavior one about risk management. something like describing a case when failure of a function caused loss of customer, and how did you handle it. Followed by a coding question: a parking lot has limited lots, different numbers and fees for small/medium/large sized cars, write a code to simulate the process of a car's entering and leaving.

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

A one-hour phone interview with collabedit sharing (a textedit window for typing source code). An interesting collaborative process for demonstrating things I knew about data structures (my interviewer knew other things). Questions tended to be about handling edge cases or corrupted data.

A one-day session at Amazon HQ with 6 interviewers, mostly on understanding of data systems; some detailed code expression for evolving a class through escalating requirements. Questions about previous problems (technical & social) and how I dealt with them.

Interview Questions
    • How did I deal with an intrasigent colleague. I gave the interviewer the choice of peer or superior, and answered the latter. Since the "solution" involved my changing teams then taking over the person's responsibilities, there was a definite awkward pause.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Just the first round interview, I didn't get the question clearly. Later the recruiter told me they will choose others. Personally, I think it's unfair because the reject you just because the unuseful testing which some experienced guy will be failed because they haven't touch those knowledge for long time.
    But anyway, not my fault. I am the guy who can work well in real case but nervous when testing.
    Trust yourself and keep going, there are some better companies than amazon are waiting for you.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not tough. Just because the phone interview is not the comfortable interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Had initial interview with recruiter. After about two weeks had 2 technical interviews over the phone. Interviewers were very nice and tried to help, mostly discussing algorithms and presenting code solutions.
    In few weeks were offered to visit their office. Had about 5 interviews in a row, mostly technical and also with manager. Everybody was very friendly, open to discussions and questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you solve performance issue in your application?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

I applied online, and after six months, they sent me an email. We scheduled a meeting, it was with a Developer from Seattle, it was pretty good, some hard questions and background check, and after that we did a coding session using a collaboration board. After a week, they wold me that I did not passed the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Contacted through LinkedIn by recruiter. Signed up for a Hiring Event in Toronto. 15 minute phone conversation with Amazon recruiter. Hiring event consisted of 5 interviews, one with HR recruiter to go over HR issues related to working at Amazon. The other 4 were all technical. Was a pleasant experience overall. Interviewers were professional and cordial. Each lasted 45 minutes (exactly). The questions were pretty much as expected. Was told I would be contacted within 3 days whether they were going to offer position - all were for HQ at Seattle. I thought I did "ok". Though I stumbled a bit on the first interview.

They let me know they were not ready to offer me anything. No feedback, but they told me they wouldn't give feedback from the start.

Overall a pleasant experience. Seriously. :-)

Interview Questions
    • Signed a NDA. But nothing unexpected, and nothing too difficult, assuming you have been studying.   Answer Question