Amazon.com

4,162 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Interview Details Applied online, was contacted about a month later. Two phone interviews consisting of programming questions and then a 5 hour session in their office (5 interviews + talk with HR). Everyone was extremely nice. After each step of the process they contacted me within two days to let me know what was next.

Interview Question – Given an InOrder traversal and a PreOrder traversal of a binary tree, rebuild the tree. I didn't actually know how to do it, but once they told me the trick it wasn't difficult to code the algorithm. Don't be afraid to say you don't know!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, offer was above expectations. Great benefits as well.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Hiring Event

Interview Question – Think a data structure like Facebook you have connections (with name, email, and list of connections) and your connections have connections, print first level connection and second level connection.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer
Vancouver, BC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details I applied at a job fair. I was contacted within a week for the position of Software Development Engineer at Amazon Vancouver. There were no recruiter screening interviews. The recruiter got in touch with me over email and scheduled a phone interview. I had to reschedule the interview because I wasn't well the day before the interview. There was no problem with that. They did send a pdf file containing information on what to expect in the interview. Essentially, the document said you should be prepared to answer programming problems, algorithms, data structures, distributed systems, databases, networks and operating systems.
The recruiter was nice and prompt in responding to emails and inquiries. However, the phone interview itself was a very unpleasant experience. I don't know what kind of phones were used but I had difficulty in hearing the interviewer and he seemed to get annoyed by it. He ruined my overall experience.

Interview Question – The questions in the first round were fairly straightforward if you use data structures like trees and linked lists for your work regularly. If you're working in areas where you don't use those data structures regularly, you may find the problems challenging. The question I was asked was "Given a sorted linked list, create a binary tree with the array with minimum height." Note that the question specified only binary tree and not binary search tree.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Applied online and then was sent an email for an initial telephone interview request. I had two phone interviews both about Trees. Putting them into order, finding maximum, coding it and putting it into a file.

Interview Question – Are you prepared to code for most of your work day?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Initially contacted by headhunter. Did 2 phone interviews, one basic HR, another one with a very nice programmer, followed by a programming challenge to send in. Then I was asked for an on-site interview in Vancouver. The on-site was really tough, 6 interviews back to back with no break (even lunch is a conversation with your potential manager and one of the IT managers higher-up).

Interview Question – How would you design the complete architecture for image storage of Amazon.com storage? Another one was, how would you design a key-value store? I hadn't worked with a lot of big distributed applications so I struggled with these two. I had prepared a lot for the on-site, but the questions were a lot different than the phone interview questions, which mostly focused on small scale algorithms.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Test Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I was referred by a friend who got a job recently at Amazon. There were two telephone interviews with coding sessions via an online shared editor (they see what you type). This was later followed by an invite to an onsite interview in Seattle. Stayed at the Hyatt over night and had a full day of interviews (5 devs, a dev manager and an HR lady). The office I interviewed at was nice. Didn't get to imbibe much work culture, though had lunch with the dev manager and it seemed nice enough.

Interview Question – Implement a reverse hash table   View Answers (4)

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Two interviews. First, half an hour and second 3 hours.

Interview Question – How can we store the name of street in a map service? Because street names have characters in common.   View Answers (2)

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details First phone interview was 45 minutes. We went slightly over time as my interviewer called late. I was asked questions about my work experience and data structures questions (solutions involved hash tables and trees). I was scheduled for a 2nd interview one week later.

The second interview was more impersonal (no questions about my resume) and I struggled to finish the question he presented within the 45 minutes. My interviewer was kind and said I had done well. I followed up a week later, and finally heard after two weeks that I hadn't been selected to interview further.

Interview Question – Write functions to serialize and deserialize a binary tree.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details A recruiter from Amazon contacted me, stating that he found my resume in the company DB and if I was interested in a Technical Project Manager role. After the initial screening they asked me to complete a online test. I was expecting management related question, but I was surprised to see technical questions.

Interview Question – Write a test scenario for copying a file from one location to another using a wireless connection/   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details It was an on campus interview

Interview Question – Was asked question about in-order, pre-order trees and how to retrieve the maximum number of repeated strings in a array or strings.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com